Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
acciobrain
0 Kudos

Re: What Will J. K. Rowling Write Next?

Personally, I'd like to learn more about Snape's past life. It would be great if J.K. Rowling were to decide to write about some of the events that took place in his life that we don't yet know about, though I really doubt she would. :smileysad:
Frequent Contributor
BnBookworm
0 Kudos

I hope that when she writes the encyclopedia, someone does a map of Hogwarts.
Ninety percent of who you are is invisible
Imagination...is a form of seeing
Frequent Contributor
Luthien
0 Kudos

ShadowCougar wrote:
I know most people make the actor's fit their view of the characters, but I can't.. which is probably why I don't like the Movie version of Moody, one of my favorite characters, he just doesn't seem scary enough, or intense enough, (And I don't think he looks right either)

I didn't like what they did with Moody either. I've noticed, when I'm reading the books or just thinking about them, there are some characters who I now picture as their movie-versions, and others that I still don't and probably never will.
Frequent Contributor
Luthien
0 Kudos

BnBookworm wrote:
I hope that when she writes the encyclopedia, someone does a map of Hogwarts.

That would be great! Every time I'd re-read the books, I'd have to have the map beside me, to look at whenever the characters went somewhere. (When I re-read Lord of the Rings, I had the version with a big fold-out map in the back, and I had that map out constantly!)
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I think the reason some of the deaths seem flippant or what have you, is because that's just the way it would happen in a war situation. In a real war, people you have established deep relationships will die in random, senseless ways, and there won't always be time for emotional closure. Part of the tragedy is that Harry, realistically is not going to be able to to reflect over the death of every loved one. It is sad that Lupin and Tonks died off stage, but I think it's more believable that way.

Message Edited by phrodo41 on 08-02-2007 01:38 AM
Frequent Contributor
JPaulson
0 Kudos

What would I like to see her write next? Her grocery list! I'm all for giving her a little time off, some R & R, maybe a train ride next spring could bring some inspiration. To my way of thinking, her projects are somewhat epic in size and scope and she might want to renew her energy and enjoy her family life for a little while. I can wait - whatever is next from her quill will be wonderful.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I personally don't think she'll write anymore HP related books (sad, but...) ,it would be nice if she would write of the wizarding world through another's eyes...like James, or Severus, or Lily, or Tom Riddle---then we could see what actually went on in that twisted mind!
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Nope, she's done with Harry's universe. I doubt she'll write anything for a few years...though, she probably has some new idea up her sleeve already...
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I hate to say this amm1, but it IS a war, there ARE going to be casualties... Frankly, i'm surprised there weren't more. And besides, I highly doubt we'd care as much for the books as we do now, if we hadn't cried for Sirius, Tonks, MadEye, Dobby, Fred, Lupin, and the rest? It may not be the same for you, but i EXPECTED many to die, and i knew they had to.

PattyBNUChick wrote:
amm1, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I'm re-reading it slower and have a new view on it, its really changed how I see it. Yes, some things are missing that we expected, but if I hadnt researched the cr*p out of it, I wouldnt have missed them. Maybe you should re-read it slower like I am, maybe you will gain a different perspective on it. I'm really enjoying it now. :

amm1 wrote:

I read it very slow the first time and I have been reading it over but I'm sorry, it is the worst of the series and such a huge disappointment in so many ways. And believe me, I'm one of those who always gave JKR slack, never believing she had to be perfect. But I'm sad with this book and have decided for the most part I need to quickly lessened my number of comments and my time spent in this HP world. No one wants to hear from a sour puss all the time and JKR's world doesn't interest me as much. I find it hard to comment in most of the threads because I'm in such a negative mood about the book but I don't want to constantly be the one to gripe.

Will I bother to buy anything else she writes? Probably not. Again, I want to stress how much I enjoyed the series as a whole and there are some good parts in DH (few) and yet I find her darkness, her flippant death scenes a bit disturbing. I believe she would say the opposite and give her whole speech about death, war and so on but I believe there's a darkness to her that comes out in her writings and I don't like it. I find it hard to believe this wouldn't carry over into other works she may publish.

I'll take with me the good part and the humor and fun from the first books but leave the rest. Whereas there are some good morals in her books, there are also some very lacking ones, IMO. So yes, I'm still depressed over this book and reading it over and over will not change my mind, I'm sad to say.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

New User
Mordred113
0 Kudos

I've always said that I feel very lucky to live in a time where I was able to watch and read the whole HP series unfold. I really really hope Rowlings will do it again for another generation. Epic stories are always the best. The problem is, good ones only come around once in a blue moon.
I know Rowlings said shes done with wizardry, so I don't expect that out of her. But whatever she produces, I'm sure it will be great because shes a great story teller. I just hope its as big an amazing for the next generation of readers.
Contributor
books1708
0 Kudos

Well I was watching an interview with JK Rowling and she said that she was pretty much done with the wizarding world. But she did say that she intends on doing an encylopedia but not anytime soon.

I personally think in her mind right now that shes so happy to be done with the series and just wants a vacation, that she THINKS that shes done with the wizarding world. However i wouldnt be suprised if she continues writing in the world shes put so much effort and thought into. In my head, JK Rowling will never truly leave the World Of Harry Potter.
"His scar had not hurt in nineteen years. All was well." =)
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
How many of you think Rowling will really be able to escape Potter in the years to come? Do you think after she writes other things and they are not as successful (how could they be?) that she'll be driven by her own curiosity or the pressure of fans over many years to return to Harry's world? Is saying that it's unlikely she'll write about this world again kind of like a champion athlete saying he's/she's "retiring?" How many such athletes have we seen come back from retirement, just to see if they can do it again; you know? I don't mean that JKR is retiring from writing, I'm just wondering how much pull you think this series may have on her in the future after she takes a break from it, say, for 10 years or even longer?

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-08-2007 11:15 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
How many of you think Rowling will really be able to escape Potter in the years to come? Do you think after she writes other things and they are not as successful (how could they be?) that she'll be driven by her own curiosity or the pressure of fans over many years to return to Harry's world? Is saying that it's unlikely she'll write about this world again kind of like a champion athlete saying he's/she's "retiring?" How many such athletes have we seen come back from retirement, just to see if they can do it again; you know? I don't mean that JKR is retiring from writing, I'm just wondering how much pull you think this series may have on her in the future after she takes a break from it, say, for 10 years or even longer?

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-08-2007 11:15 AM

It's hard to tell. She says she is done with it now because she feels like she has exhausted her fund of ideas... she's tapped out... but that could definitely change in ten years' time and I think there will always be an audience for her should she ever want to continue the story.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Oh, she'll never fully escape. Anything she writes will sell, of course. But she's definitely done for good with HP. I mean, she's got too much to lose to try again. What if her HP related series didn't live up to the publics expectations? Nah, she's done.
Frequent Contributor
gniff
0 Kudos

I expect that if Jo Rowling is every tempted with an idea in the Potter universe, she'll do what other authors have done and make it into a short story. That's not the only way; Orson Scott Card has gotten a lot of mileage out of the Ender's Game universe, telling the parallel stories of other characters and writing a collection of prequel shorts. It's been very good mileage, too. But Jo mapped the whole story out; I don't think that she'll be exercising the creative muscles in the gaps because there aren't those gaps. Hermione is not the Hegemon and Ron is not the Strategos.
0 Kudos

If I were her, and I wanted to write something totally different, I think I would write it under a different pen name. Take the pressure off, so to speak...
Contributor
pottergrl7
0 Kudos

i think that she should write another series.... it would be hard though for me t think of he writing something other than potter but i can and would try if she writes somehthing else. She did such an amazing job on the harry potter series imagine what she could do if another idea popped into her head?!
Reader 2
Dice
0 Kudos

I think she will be writing those erotica "housewife novels" that usually have Fabio on the cover. Just joking *please keep backlash to a min*

Personally I would like to see her take an try at the horror genre. I'm not talking about shock horror where we are reading about horrific character deaths in detail, but something subtle. I know this would probably be met with much controversy with her success has stemmed from Harry Potter which great for all ages. I just think she has a darkside that is dying to get out for a great read that pushes suspense a bit further. *my 2 cents*

I don't think she will do much with fantasy writing again, a few brief follow-ups like the encyclopedida aside. What would you guys like to see?
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I think more than a few chicks on this site would buy them if the guy on the cover looks like Severus Snape. Patty? :smileyhappy:

Dice wrote:
I think she will be writing those erotica "housewife novels" that usually have Fabio on the cover. Just joking *please keep backlash to a min*
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding