Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Re: What Will J. K. Rowling Write Next?

Moi? But of course ; )

dcsbelle wrote:
I think more than a few chicks on this site would buy them if the guy on the cover looks like Severus Snape. Patty? :smileyhappy:

Dice wrote:
I think she will be writing those erotica "housewife novels" that usually have Fabio on the cover. Just joking *please keep backlash to a min*

New User
bookwyrm92
0 Kudos

what I was hoping is that there would be a new series about Albus Severus Potter Harry's middle child or James or one or all of the children. I just don't want it to die I was so happy when I was reading these books now its just boring
Which came first the pheonix or the ashes?
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, bookwyrm92! 

It has come out that she's writing in cafes again, and that she's writing another children's book, though it won't be a Harry book. 

If you had the choice, would you rather see her start a brand new series or write a stand-alone children's book?

I'm wondering if she sees writing a series as easier after her success with her first one.

~ConnieK

bookwyrm92 wrote:
what I was hoping is that there would be a new series about Albus Severus Potter Harry's middle child or James or one or all of the children. I just don't want it to die I was so happy when I was reading these books now its just boring

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Starlet
0 Kudos

I think that I would rather see another series by JKR, but even if she just writes a single story I would be happy.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"I cannot live without books."
Thomas Jefferson
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I always prefer books in series form, no matter who the author is.  Although I hate to wait for each "episode" of a series, I very much enjoy reading a series from the first book through the last.  I think it may have to do with the intensity of the experience... the main characters become as familiar as those on series TV shows. 

I tend to read a good deal of historical mystery stuff, picking a series and then reading through it (Barnes & Noble loves me!).  Since I look for the series which have more than ten books in them, most of the first issues were written in the seventies or eighties...  these books have very long shelf lives...
Frequent Contributor
delmerchic72
0 Kudos

As a reply to you, Connie, I would have to say a series would be preferable. In my opinion, it was the fact that Harry Potter's story was a series of books that made it so interesting for me. I've always enjoyed writing (even if my merits fall far short of grandeur), and I've always been keen to praise other authors when they overcome difficulties I encounter while writing. To me, the amount of time and thought Rowling put into the Harry Potter series coupled with her ability to avoid almost all literary accidents, if you will, creates a sensation in me that is yet to be matched! Those are qualities I truly admire. I read the books not just because the content is so absorbing, but also because I enjoy meticulously checking and re-checking details, names, characteristics, events, and mostly "in-passing's" and seeing how they develop into a more central theme or role in the story, how something as meaningless as a locket no one can open morphs into the only assurance of the total elimination of Voldemort, for instance! And things of the like...

However, as she had often mentioned before, J.K. Rowling spent many years developing Harry's world and his story. I can imagine how exhausting it was to develop a story line so intricate and extensive, it could not be contained in one or two books. It's a difficult task, no doubt. And I don't think it necessarily gets easier as you go. In fact, I would argue it gets harder to write another series after you've written one because you have to come up with an entirely new story: new character, new plot, new problems, new worlds, even!

All I can say now is Kudos to anyone brave enough to undertake such a task!

-The Visionary-
'The visionary lies to himself, the liar only to others' -Nietzche
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanks, Psychee and delmer for replying on the series vs. "stand-alone" book choice.  That is so interesting.  Do you think series are more popular now than they were before, or have they always been this popular?  It seems there are many adult series now, too.  Is it an extension (as Psychee suggests) of our TV viewing that has gotten us used to getting to know characters and then following them over time?  Is it that it takes so much time and energy to get to "know" characters these days (to find the time to read at all, for many people) that once we do, we want to stay with the same characters for awhile? 

I think in some ways, delmer, it would be easier to write a series.  What you can't squeeze in to that first novel, you'd have time to work out in the later books.  You'd have to start with an overall plan, though, like you say.  

After JKR spent so much time developing a series, it will be interesting to see whether she is able to contain a story to one novel, or whether she finds herself plotting out another series.  If it's one novel, it's apt to be very short, I'd think, maybe even for a bit younger audience.  She has said that Harry was her best, and perhaps only, attempt at fantasy, so maybe that says her next book will be realistic.  Will she be able to stay within the confines of realism with the imagination she has?  What do you think? 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Connie, I don't know if series are more popular now than in the past... you would know the trends better than I.  All I can say is that my first reading material as a child were in series form -- and that's going back fifty years -- and my reading preferences haven't really changed that much over that time period. 

As a kid, I remember reading the "Honey Bunch and Norman" series, then the "Bobbsey Twins", then "Nancy Drew" and "Hardy Boys";  then "Perry Mason"  (I think there were more than 20 of those); and the "Angelique" series as I got into adolescence, etc.   We certainly had good TV shows back then, shows that lasted a long time, but not many channels, and I rather doubt that TV influenced my reading preferences. 

I think it might have more to do with my personality...  Given the choice of getting to know a lot of people in a shallow way versus one person in an in-depth way, I would always choose the latter.  

I should say, though, that I read single novels as well, and whenever I find a book that I really enjoy, I tend to go back to the store and then purchase everything that the author had written previously, and continue to read that author's books as they are released.  Authors like Michael Crichton, Umberto Eco, and Arturo Perez-Reverte don't write in series format, but almost everything they write is terrific.

As for JKR, it's hard to guess what she is capable of doing;  we've only been able to see one of her work products thus far.  She has said, though, that she won't complete anything that she isn't passionate about, and she obviously doesn't need to write for any reason other than her own personal enjoyment, so I'm betting that anything she allows to be published will be good, and will most likely speak to the heart, as I think that's really what she is all about. 
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I also prefer to read a series of books, if possible, and recall the same childhood experiences plus the Anne of Green Gables series, then later in addition to the ones Psychee mentioned, Elery Queen, and later still the Kent family chronicles.  These may not be series, but at least books with recurring characters.  Somehow with a recurring character, you are drawn into the plot much quicker as you already know the central characters.  I have often picked up a book in an airport shop, found it was part of a group of novels with a recurring character, then bought the rest of the books in the series and started at the beginning.

I have no idea whether it would be easier to write a stand alone novel, or a series as Connie discusses.  Every time I re-read one of the Harry Potter novels, I am struck by the massive amount of planning and attention to detail that must have gone into the books. While it has been rather fun to try and find holes or inconsistencies in some of the books, there have been remarkably few considering the scope of the novels. 

Psychee wrote:
Connie, I don't know if series are more popular now than in the past... you would know the trends better than I.  All I can say is that my first reading material as a child were in series form -- and that's going back fifty years -- and my reading preferences haven't really changed that much over that time period. 

As a kid, I remember reading the "Honey Bunch and Norman" series, then the "Bobbsey Twins", then "Nancy Drew" and "Hardy Boys";  then "Perry Mason"  (I think there were more than 20 of those); and the "Angelique" series as I got into adolescence, etc.   We certainly had good TV shows back then, shows that lasted a long time, but not many channels, and I rather doubt that TV influenced my reading preferences. 

I think it might have more to do with my personality...  Given the choice of getting to know a lot of people in a shallow way versus one person in an in-depth way, I would always choose the latter.  

I should say, though, that I read single novels as well, and whenever I find a book that I really enjoy, I tend to go back to the store and then purchase everything that the author had written previously, and continue to read that author's books as they are released.  Authors like Michael Crichton, Umberto Eco, and Arturo Perez-Reverte don't write in series format, but almost everything they write is terrific.

As for JKR, it's hard to guess what she is capable of doing;  we've only been able to see one of her work products thus far.  She has said, though, that she won't complete anything that she isn't passionate about, and she obviously doesn't need to write for any reason other than her own personal enjoyment, so I'm betting that anything she allows to be published will be good, and will most likely speak to the heart, as I think that's really what she is all about. 

New User
yoface
0 Kudos

bookwyrm92 wrote:
which came first the ashes or the phoenix?

A cycle has no beginning and no end, but rather goes on forever

New User
yoface
0 Kudos

I too hope for a story about one of Harry's children. I just don't want Rowling to stop writing.
New User
JMenz223
0 Kudos

I think a good idea would be for her to write a more detailed backstory of Voldemorts years in school...Take us through his 7 years at hogwarts and let us see the internal struggles he had with his family history and the way his mind worked to manipulate people into what he wanted them to do..To show us how one of the greatest wizards in the history of Harry Potter could have ever became so evil...I believe this story would be most interesting!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Who would be the hero of that book?  Or is it your idea to make Voldy more likeable, like Darth Vader?

JMenz223 wrote:
I think a good idea would be for her to write a more detailed backstory of Voldemorts years in school...Take us through his 7 years at hogwarts and let us see the internal struggles he had with his family history and the way his mind worked to manipulate people into what he wanted them to do..To show us how one of the greatest wizards in the history of Harry Potter could have ever became so evil...I believe this story would be most interesting!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

JMenz223 wrote:

Welcome, JMenz! 

I'm wondering if JKR would have enough sympathy for Voldemort to do that.  She's always described him as a psychopath, making him sound pretty one-dimensional--that is, beyond redemption.  Snape is a more complex character than Voldemort, I think, so I'd see her doing something like this more for him, possibly.

On the other hand, I'm sure it would sell if she wrote the Story of Voldemort!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I still can't help but think that the author must have heaps of unrevealed backstory on many of the characters.  Having immersed herself in this world for so many years, it must be tempting to create another book or series of books about the wizarding world.  On the other hand, perhaps she's had enough of it-I hope not!

Personally, I'd prefer a book about the past, rather than the future of the next wizarding generation.  There could be some interesting stories about the founders of Hogwarts and the events that brought about Slytherin's departure. 

Correspondent
Stewies_Mom
0 Kudos

I agress with you, mollywobbles, that a "back story" would be great.  I replied elsewhere on the boards that I'd love something on the Weasley family.  I still stand by that.  As a muggle, I'd love to get a chance to experience childhood through the eyes of a wizard.  It would be nice to learn about the Weasley family through the eyes of Ron or perhaps Ginny.  I'd even enjoy a more adult approach - how about the struggles of motherhood to 7 boys and a girl through Molly's POV?  I'd still rather have a story from one of the kids, but definitely a story that utilizes the wizarding world we've come to know and love.  It sure would be an enjoyable addition!

I'd hate to think that JKR is too tired of this fantastic world that she wouldn't want to continue to expand it.

New User
Jojo29
0 Kudos

i would also like for her to write another wizard, but with a female lead unlike. I think the girl should be special, but in the same way harry potter is special. Maybe she can see the future or somthing, im extremly mad that the seires is over , but i just went to go see the movie 6 and it was great i can't wait to see the other two parts of movie 7. hopfully she will right another seires starring a female this time. i will be excited to see what happens. and who know who the character for her will be in the movie? maybe even me!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Jojo29 wrote:
i would also like for her to write another wizard, but with a female lead unlike. I think the girl should be special, but in the same way harry potter is special. Maybe she can see the future or somthing, im extremly mad that the seires is over , but i just went to go see the movie 6 and it was great i can't wait to see the other two parts of movie 7. hopfully she will right another seires starring a female this time. i will be excited to see what happens. and who know who the character for her will be in the movie? maybe even me!

I noticed this was your first post--welcome, Jojo29!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Mollywobbles

I would also like a book about Wandlore.  There are so many interesting things to delve into that I think Rowling could create a little volume-perhaps for one of her charities-on Wandlore.  Why, for example, are certain magical cores more or less potent with the wood of certain trees?  Why does Olivander only use Phoenix, Unicorn, and Dragon Heartstring, while Gregorovitch uses Veela?  What other magical core substances might be around that we don't hear about?  What was the magical core of the Elder Wand?  Did it have a magical core, or was it entirely magical?  So many questions about wands..why does the wand choose the wizard?  What kind of affinity is there between hand and wand?  If, as Olivander says, the wand and wizard learn from each other, what could the Elder Wand have learned from the many masters it had through the centuries?

Too many questions, I know.  A book of wandlore would be a great piece to round out Quidditch and Beasts.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Great idea, Mollywobbles.

I can answer something about the Elder wand, though.  The core of it was the hair of a thestral.