Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

What Will J. K. Rowling Write Next?

[ Edited ]
Dear Readers,

The wait over the next few days for the appearance of the last book in the Harry Potter series will probably be the hardest for die-hard fans. It's interesting to think that JKR must be waiting as well--not to find out what happens to Harry, Ron, and Hermione, of course, but she must be waiting to see what the reaction will be to the end of the story she has been working on now for 17 years. That's a long time for an author who had a vision for a story to wait for a response from readers about that story's conclusion. She may be more nervous or excited herself for Friday night than many fans realize!

Ms. Rowling has said in recent interviews that she plans to take a break after her publicity obligations for the Harry Potter series are over. Fans expect that she will not go long, however, before she will be at work again on something new (she has already said she started a fairy tale featuring a monster for younger children some time ago). She has also said she may write a reference book about Harry Potter's fantasy world for charity at some point.

What would you like to see JKR write next that is not related to this series? A mystery; whodunnit? A quiet, realistic book about an interior struggle of some kind? More children's books, possibly picture books? An adventure series? Would you like to see another series or individual stories and novels?

Let us know what you'd like to see next from this widely popular author.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 07-16-2007 11:59 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

Re: What Will J. K. Rowling Write Next?

ConnieK wrote:
Dear Readers,

The wait over the next few days for the appearance of the last book in the Harry Potter series will probably be the hardest for die-hard fans. It's interesting to think that JKR must be waiting as well--not to find out what happens to Harry, Ron, and Hermione, of course, but she must be waiting to see what the reaction will be to the end of the story she has been working on now for 17 years. That's a long time for an author who had a vision for a story to wait for a response from readers about that story's conclusion. She may be more nervous or excited herself for Friday night than many fans realize!

Ms. Rowling has said in recent interviews that she plans to take a break after her publicity obligations for the Harry Potter series are over. Fans expect that she will not go long, however, before she will be at work again on something new (she has already said she started a fairy tale featuring a monster for younger children some time ago). She has also said she may write a reference book about Harry Potter's fantasy world for charity at some point.

What would you like to see JKR write next that is not related to this series? A mystery; whodunnit? A quiet, realistic book about an interior struggle of some kind? More children's books, possibly picture books? An adventure series? Would you like to see another series or individual stories and novels?

Let us know what you'd like to see next from this widely popular author.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 07-16-2007 11:59 AM

It is hard for me to think of JKR writing something else than HP, but I would read other things of hers. I would probably read another series, about adventure. I can't wait to read the fairy tale, even though it is for children. HP was for children, yet it captured the hearts of many adults also.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

hihi--Would you prefer she write a book that is definitely for adults?

~ConnieK, 4

hihi wrote:
It is hard for me to think of JKR writing something else than HP, but I would read other things of hers. I would probably read another series, about adventure. I can't wait to read the fairy tale, even though it is for children. HP was for children, yet it captured the hearts of many adults also.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ConnieK wrote:
hihi--Would you prefer she write a book that is definitely for adults?

~ConnieK, 4

hihi wrote:

I don't know, b/c that is one of the reason's I loved this series. It made me feel like a kid again, and JKR has a talent for having you be able to relate to the characters. But I would probably read a book for adults by her, just to see how she can go from children's author to adult fiction/realistic writer, and if she has the same effect. What would you read?

Message Edited by hihi on 07-16-2007 05:55 PM
Frequent Contributor
Half-Blood_Canadian
0 Kudos

it would be cool if she did another fantasy,but this time have the protagonist be a girl. i would like to see how she develops a female lead compared to harry-a male lead. But it should remain a childrens or young adult book because kids books are more fun...and they give you opportunities to dress up for pure joy of a book. Plus, this new series would get a whole new generation of kids reading...that is...if they dont read HP first!!!
Contributor
HP_Fan
0 Kudos

I honestly don't think she will write agin, I mean she has already became on of the most well known writers of all time and always will be. This series is just amazing and the fact that it wass supposed to be a kids book and yet so many adults love this book is awesome. But yeah I don't think she will write anymore although if she does it would be hard for her to do something better than HP because this story is just the best.. and that is why she will always be known as one of the greatest authors of the 21st century.
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

HP_Fan wrote:
I honestly don't think she will write agin, I mean she has already became on of the most well known writers of all time and always will be. This series is just amazing and the fact that it wass supposed to be a kids book and yet so many adults love this book is awesome. But yeah I don't think she will write anymore although if she does it would be hard for her to do something better than HP because this story is just the best.. and that is why she will always be known as one of the greatest authors of the 21st century.

Yeah, I guess it will be like a child actor who tried to make a name for themselves as an adult. But I think she will write again, though.
Contributor
HP_Fan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

hihi wrote:

HP_Fan wrote:

Yeah, I guess it will be like a child actor who tried to make a name for themselves as an adult. But I think she will write again, though.

Well she might write agin but I am just sayin that it would be hard to top the success she has got with the HP series.

For example if she writes a new series I think she will always be known for being the author of HP.

Message Edited by HP_Fan on 07-16-2007 07:40 PM
Frequent Contributor
NicoleO84
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I think it would be cool if she wrote a Harry Potter reference book. She has complete back stories for so many characters, and characters she created that were never in the book. It would be interesting to see where so many characters came from and how they would have devloped if their story was in the book. I just think it would be an interesting book. What do you guys think?

Message Edited by NicoleO84 on 07-16-2007 08:29 PM
*~Dumbledore's woman, through and through~*
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Whatever JKR writes, it will almost have to be a serial again. I can't imagine her writing a complete story in one book.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Definitely a great idea. Also, a real version of "Hogwart's: A History." We can't let Hermione be the only one ever to read it. :smileyhappy:

NicoleO84 wrote:
I think it would be cool if she wrote a Harry Potter reference book. She has complete back stories for so many characters, and characters she created that were never in the book. It would be interesting to see where so many characters came from and how they would have devloped if their story was in the book. I just think it would be an interesting book. What do you guys think?

Message Edited by NicoleO84 on 07-16-2007 08:29 PM

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:
Whatever JKR writes, it will almost have to be a serial again. I can't imagine her writing a complete story in one book.

mmm, Harry Potter Cereal

(Ok, Ok, drop the rotten tomatoes, I know it was a bad joke, but... Wakka Wakka Wakka?)
"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
New User
snaped
0 Kudos

I would love to see a prequel to the HP series. There is already a working outline in the HP series.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

That *would* be neat, wouldn't it, Half-Blood_Canadian? Kind of like Hermione and Harry switching places, or something.

~ConnieK, 4

Half-Blood_Canadian wrote:
it would be cool if she did another fantasy,but this time have the protagonist be a girl. i would like to see how she develops a female lead compared to harry-a male lead. But it should remain a childrens or young adult book because kids books are more fun...and they give you opportunities to dress up for pure joy of a book. Plus, this new series would get a whole new generation of kids reading...that is...if they dont read HP first!!!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Personally, I'd like a young Dumbledore story...
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

Or a story about the founders of Hogwarts and the early days.
Author
SPSipal
0 Kudos

Half-Blood_Canadian wrote:

I agree with this. I would love to see her do another adventure series with a mystery and a female protagonist. I think, however, she did say once that she probably would not do another fantasy as she felt she'd already covered that rather completely.

Also, she's said before that she might do a Harry Potter encyclopedia of some sort. Not sure she used the word encyclopedia - but something along those lines, for charity like the 2 school books, that would help explain some of the backstory and myth relations. That would be great!

I definitely believe she will write again. Writing is an obsession. It's in her blood. She may not ever achieve the success of HP, but who knows. Plus, she's already said that she's started another book, one for younger children. Though, I must say I hope she will also keep writing for the older generations, like me! :-)
Frequent Contributor
tonkshermione
0 Kudos

hihi wrote:

Psychee wrote:

Or a story about the founders of Hogwarts and the early days.

I was going to say the exact same thing! lol...But if she didnt write about the founders my next hope would be that she writes about the maurderers...But it most likely wont happen :smileysad:
Frequent Contributor
gniff
0 Kudos

Joanne Rowling has written a grand symphony. Now it's time for her to go back and write a few simpler works. Some small gems, polished to perfection, while she prepares for something else (which she has said will not be a fantasy). I look forward to it.
0 Kudos

gniff wrote:
Joanne Rowling has written a grand symphony. Now it's time for her to go back and write a few simpler works. Some small gems, polished to perfection, while she prepares for something else (which she has said will not be a fantasy). I look forward to it.

Well, whatever it is I hope it is good!