Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Kimberlh
0 Kudos

What else do you read? besides Harry Potter

I am looking for author to read while waiting on book 7. (Note: I tired to post on waiting for harry section but the forum would not let me post a new message)

Anyway, who else do you read besides Harry Potter?
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: What else do you read? besides Harry Potter

Kimberth,

Have you ever read any of Hilari Bell's books, I got her newest one that starts a new trilogy; the book is call Shield Of Stars. I also have read all the Charlie Bone books by Jenny Nimmo. Also there are a lot of books that our B@N had out on display here in Utah maybe they have a similar display close to you.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
Mrs_Hermione_Weasley
0 Kudos

Right now I am reading one by Michael Scott call "The Alchemyst" the secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flammel. I thoght it would tie in somehow, but its completly different. Not sure if I like it yet or not, I am only half way. So I will finish it and see. My other fav. author(besides JKR of course) is Nora Roberts. I have read a ton of her books. About vampires and withches and gosts and stuff. I don't like scary books and hers are romance slash thrill. So she scares you alittle, then there is this big hot and heavy love scene and everything is all better...hahahaha
Mrs. Hermione Weasley
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

i read amelia atwater rhodes, all her books are good, theres 8 of them. i also read the confessions of georgia nicolson series by louise rennison, (theres 7 so far the 8th one comes out july 3rd) those are hilarious. i also read mildred d taylor's books about the logan family, they arent really a series but they have sequels, a good one to start with on those would be "roll of thunder hear my cry" i think theres like 7 or 8 of those too. the disc world novels by terry pratchet are good too, i would start with "the color of magic" on those, theres about 20 of them (that i know of). considering i just gave you a list of about 30 or 40 books, since they are mostly series, that should be enough for you to read before DH comes out, and maybe too much if you read slower than i do, but idk so try those.

if you'd like the titles of the nicolson or atwater rhodes books let me know i would be happy to help. (i have all of those so i know the exact titles for you to look for them) i know some of taylor's, i havent read them all yet so i dont know them all.
Julie
Frequent Contributor
Kimberlh
0 Kudos

Mrs_Hermione_Weasley wrote:
Right now I am reading one by Michael Scott call "The Alchemyst" the secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flammel. I thoght it would tie in somehow, but its completly different. Not sure if I like it yet or not, I am only half way. So I will finish it and see. My other fav. author(besides JKR of course) is Nora Roberts. I have read a ton of her books. About vampires and withches and gosts and stuff. I don't like scary books and hers are romance slash thrill. So she scares you alittle, then there is this big hot and heavy love scene and everything is all better...hahahaha

You should like we might like the same things. I don't like books that are to scary because I read they before I go to bed then have bad dreams. :smileyhappy:

Thank you and everyone else for suggestions. I have a B & N trip on Thursday and did not want to walk in without an idea of what to get.
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

I will admit I don't read as much as I use to. Just seems like I don't have the time.
Anyway, am I the only one who has read Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny?

The First Chronicles of Amber: (Corwin)
o Nine Princes in Amber (1970)
o The Guns of Avalon (1972)
o Sign of the Unicorn (1975)
o The Hand of Oberon (1976)
o The Courts of Chaos (1978)

The Second Chronicles of Amber: (Merlin)
o Trumps of Doom (1985)
o Blood of Amber (1986)
o Sign of Chaos (1987)
o Knight of Shadows (1989)
o Prince of Chaos (1991)
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

amm1 wrote:
I will admit I don't read as much as I use to. Just seems like I don't have the time.

o Trumps of Doom (1985)
o Blood of Amber (1986)
o Sign of Chaos (1987)
o Prince of Chaos (1991)

Amm1,

No you are not the only one to read Roger Zelzany's Amber books though it has been several years since I have read them. I read them all whebn they first came out but I have not reread them simce Roger's death, just too many others that I have wanted to read.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Ditto; and I enjoyed them very much!
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Personally, I've found that Stephen King's The Dark Tower series is a great fill-in for when there's no Harry Potter.
It might not be something you'd want to get into now seeing as there are only 20-something days until the 7 books come out and there are 7 books in DT.
And if the name "Stephen King" throws you off- I will let you know that these books are not scary. They're more of... western/fantasy/sci-fi. Very odd mixture, but it works.

Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
Frequent Contributor
Kimberlh
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your input. I have to have surgery soon and my doctor refused to wait till HP book 7 comes out so I will have something to ready to read while I am on bed rest so I got The Chronicles of Narnia and a Princess Di bio. That should keep me busy a while.

Have a good day
Kimberly
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Good luck with your surgery! I hope everything goes well!

Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
Contributor
Lightningvine
0 Kudos

Terry Pratchett is a great fantasy author.......some of his best are "Feet of Clay" (HILARIOUS) and "Thud!". Both are great reads.

another good fantasy author (mostly for girls, tho) is Tamora Pierce.
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

You can actually get the entire Amber series written by Zelazny in a single volume, I know my store always has it so check your local store. (The book is huge, but the stories can be taken in small bites. :smileytongue:

amm1 wrote:

o Trumps of Doom (1985)
o Blood of Amber (1986)
o Sign of Chaos (1987)
o Prince of Chaos (1991)

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
ShadowCougar--You've mentioned some other fantasy series/books in your posts in various places on the boards, so you sound like someone who has enjoyed this genre for awhile. Might you have any other suggestions for our club members?

~ConnieK, "18"

ShadowCougar wrote:
You can actually get the entire Amber series written by Zelazny in a single volume, I know my store always has it so check your local store. (The book is huge, but the stories can be taken in small bites. :smileytongue:

Message Edited by ConnieK on 07-02-2007 02:53 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Well, I am an avid reader of Sci-fi and fantasy. I can honestly recomend Jim Butcher's Dresden Files (Much better then the TV show based on them). George RR Martin's Song of FIre and Ice series is amazing, I love his characters. Amber mentioned above is great. I am currently rereading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, Which gets really slow around book 7 but is a good series overall. Mercedes Lackey's books in all her series are enjoyable. On the younger side, a book called Skulduggery Pleasant was quite good, can't recall the author. The Artemes Fowl books by Eion Colfer are amusing... Well, that is a few. :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by ShadowCougar on 07-02-2007 08:03 PM
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Madelia wrote:
Personally, I've found that Stephen King's The Dark Tower series is a great fill-in for when there's no Harry Potter.
It might not be something you'd want to get into now seeing as there are only 20-something days until the 7 books come out and there are 7 books in DT.
And if the name "Stephen King" throws you off- I will let you know that these books are not scary. They're more of... western/fantasy/sci-fi. Very odd mixture, but it works.

Madelia, I'm self professed King nut and those books were what I was going to recommend as well. I'm going through them for I think the 5th time now and am about half way through the Wastelands. Great reads.

Also I'd recommend The Hunter's Blade Trilogy by RA Salvatore as well. They're really fast paced reads and are a great introduction to a big character in Drizzit Do'Urdren that you can read thorugh without having to read the other 12 or so books out on the character. I liked this set well enough that I've got a copy of the first of the Sellswords books to read through in case I complete the Dark Tower to quickly.

"Hehehe," the small Dwarf Pikel through his hands out in a large circle and grinned "Boom!!!!" That's a quote from the Hunter's Blade trilogy that makes me smile every time.

Message Edited by allenctynimrod on 07-02-2007 08:17 PM
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Personally I loved the HP reference at the end of Wolves of the Calla.

allenctynimrod wrote:

Madelia wrote:

Madelia, I'm self professed King nut and those books were what I was going to recommend as well. I'm going through them for I think the 5th time now and am about half way through the Wastelands. Great reads.

Also I'd recommend The Hunter's Blade Trilogy by RA Salvatore as well. They're really fast paced reads and are a great introduction to a big character in Drizzit Do'Urdren that you can read thorugh without having to read the other 12 or so books out on the character. I liked this set well enough that I've got a copy of the first of the Sellswords books to read through in case I complete the Dark Tower to quickly.

"Hehehe," the small Dwarf Pikel through his hands out in a large circle and grinned "Boom!!!!" That's a quote from the Hunter's Blade trilogy that makes me smile every time.

Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

ShadowCougar wrote:
Personally I loved the HP reference at the end of Wolves of the Calla.

allenctynimrod wrote:

Madelia wrote:

King did such a brilliant job of weaving so many references to our society into those works. And yes the HP reference was great. He's along with us just begging for the new one to hurry up and come out already.
Frequent Contributor
harrypotteraddict21
0 Kudos

read the spetimus heap trilogy: magyk, flyte, and physik.....kinda like harry potter but not as much action...but great dialouge and humor...strongly reccommend
SJ#21
Contributor
Cadsuane
0 Kudos

I highly recommend The Hollow Kingdom trilogy by Clare B. Dunkle. You will not be disappointed; everybody who reads these books loves them.