Contributor
lilysmama
0 Kudos

Re: Why We Must Love Draco

I absolutely adore Draco and have since probably book two. I realize he was a jerk but I felt so sorry for him and just wanted to give him a hug. This was a little boy who was trying to make his father proud, and was getting ridiculed because he wasn't living up to his father's extremely high standards.

I also see a great chance for redemption. He befriended the first victim of Voldemort. He confided in her and I'm fairly certain it is common knowledge who Myrtle was, especially in Death Eater circles.

Just a thought.
Frequent Contributor
adribetty394
0 Kudos

Oh gosh I hadn't noticed that!!! Myrtle was muggle born wasn't she???
HOLY HORCRUXES!!! jajaajajajaja
JK ... all I can do is bow and praise!
~*~it's the unknow we fear when we look upon death and darkness~*~
Frequent Contributor
Science-Faire
0 Kudos

In my mind, Draco and Dudley have always been linked. In the muggle world, Dudley is the center of attention and the favorite only child. In the wizarding world, Harry takes the spotlight from a boy who expected, because of money, blood, and the way he was spoiled, to be the petted favorite. So, if there is hope for Dudley, there is hope for Draco.
I think there is hope because they have both been made vulnerable by the Dark Side and resent and fear it. Dudley with the Dementor and Draco with his father's life threatened. I seriously hope both can be redeemed and that Dudley is the one to do magic relatively late in life.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Frequent Contributor
Half-Blood_Canadian
0 Kudos

I think everyone's forgetting the influence of your environment at such a young and impressionable age. I am going to defend Drace now..but not because i'm in love with him (Ron is my man) but because i truly think he is good deep down. Does everyone...(well maybe not everyone if you were young in the 60s) remember the anti-racism videos they show you in elementary school? Everytime the child mimicks his parents racist thoughts despite his lack of understanding what they mean, then the kid meets an ethnic person or w/e and they become friends as the boy finally sees how horrible his parent's ideas are. I feel this is exactly what happened for Draco. He grew up being told to revere (sp?) Voldemort and agree with his love of being pureblood, but when he finally sees the evil and hatred and carelessness this man is capable of (ie: not caring about his father or family but just wanting the job done) Draco realises that his ways are slightly ludicrous. I truly believe that he thinks only that mudbloods stink..not 'Bob the mudblood'..but just all mudbloods (bob isnt a real character, im just trying to say that when he puts a face to it, he is softened ever so slightly) remember the world cup? He told HArry and ROn to keep Hermione safe. He only went off to kill DD because he was being forced to. His family was in danger. You could say that at first he was excited..but remember he doesn't become concious of the evil until part way through book six. Doesn't DD say that Draco knew the necklace and drink wouldn't work. he uses them because he doesn't really want to kill and become evil. When DD promises protection for him and his family, Draco lowers his wand. I definitely think that Draco will redeem himself by defying his father and maybe trying to help his mother into a safer place. be it take comfort fromt he Order or join Harry in his fight in order to bring a happy place for her.

i hope that made sense to everybody...i was kinda here and there but altogether Draco is just a victim of his upbringing.
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Yes, that's exactly how I feel. :] He was very influenced by his father and doesn't know any different.

Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
Contributor
hpotterfan
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
Hello all. Sorry, I can't learn to love Draco, even if he did have a lousy father. Look at all the really nasty things he has done. Sure, he hasn't actually killed anybody, but what about all the other mean tricks he has pulled.
-he's certainly a rude little guy-calling Hermione a Mudblood-also when Harry and Ron question Draco (disguised via polyjuice) Draco says that he hopes the next mudblood to die will be Granger-he constantly taunts the Weasley family about their poverty
-he cheats at Quidditch-hanging on to Harry's broom to prevent him from catching the snitch, dressing up as a dementor to throw Harry off his game-not to mention buying his way onto the team in the first place
-he did his best to have Hagrid fired, and his best to get Buckbeak slaughtered
-he's a suck up to Snape-I mean really, suggesting Snape apply for the Headmaster's position! He also sucks up to deadly Dolores Umbridge and really gets a kick out of being on the Inquisitorial squad. He's just a bully.
-I don't think the fact that he is crying in the john is a sign of any redeeming feature in his character, I think he is just frightened that he hasn't completed the task assigned to him by Voldemort-being threatened by Voldemort would scare anybody to tears.

Nope, sorry, I can't muster an ounce of sympathy for Draco, regardless of his father. He's a true Slytherin. I think that he may be brought to see the error of his ways in the final book, but he'll never be likeable.

cheers

but maybe he secretly likes hermione, but is ashamed of it and so tries to cover it up by pretending to hate her. i mean, if it ever got out that he loved a muggle-born, he would be in big trouble with his dad

like snape & James potter, draco is probably just jealous of harry

his father probably put him up to getting hagrid fired

with the Inquisitoral squad, he probably just wanted to get revenge on Harry and his friends. or maybe he was prompted once again by his father so that their family wouldn't be under suspicion

i don't think that draco had a lot of time to be a kid, maybe he was made to grow up too quickly. he wants to impress his dad, to make him proud, and so he does all those things, but it just doesn't work. he can't be something he's not.
New User
hp7X
0 Kudos

Definately! I've thought that since the beginning of HPB. It's gotta be like Draco's destiny cuz Lucius and Narcissa are death eaters. All kids r different from their parents.
New User
Screech_And_Crash
0 Kudos

Well, they did make it pretty obvious that he was only following voldemort's orders because he didn't want his family killed, it's what he shouted when he confronted dumbledore.

and if Harry DOES decide to save draco from something and Draco feels indebted to him, maybe he'll end up dying trying to help Harry defeat voldemort. he might be one of the characters that dies, since everyone'e been speculating about this.

also, I know tons of people are saying that Harry can't die, he's "the hero" and it never works out/everyone hates it when the hero dies. but when has jkr been predictable. I mean, voldemort split his soul into seven pieces, that's pretty unpredictable...

still, I hope he doesn't die OR lose his magical powers as keith olbermann's foreseen. bleh.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Screech_And_Crash wrote:
and YES, he's a little bastard but I doubt he'll take after his aunt Bellatrix.

I think Bellatrix is in a league all her own...
Frequent Contributor
snider_kr
0 Kudos

Screech_And_Crash wrote:
Well, they did make it pretty obvious that he was only following voldemort's orders because he didn't want his family killed, it's what he shouted when he confronted dumbledore.

and if Harry DOES decide to save draco from something and Draco feels indebted to him, maybe he'll end up dying trying to help Harry defeat voldemort. he might be one of the characters that dies, since everyone'e been speculating about this.

also, I know tons of people are saying that Harry can't die, he's "the hero" and it never works out/everyone hates it when the hero dies. but when has jkr been predictable. I mean, voldemort split his soul into seven pieces, that's pretty unpredictable...

still, I hope he doesn't die OR lose his magical powers as keith olbermann's foreseen. bleh.

i think draco was proud about him being choosen by the dark lord to do the work, but after he realized what he actually had to do, he started to panic. i dont think he really wanted to kill anybody, he just wanted to save himself and his family. i think he was seeking for attention and power, like most sly., but found out he realy didnt have the heart to do it. i think he will feel remorse for dumbledores death and eventually end up saving harry. maybe voldemort will go ahead and just kill dracos father or mother and that might be the straw to make him change sides at the very last...
‡¥‡ When it comes to LOVE, even forever don't seem long enough ‡¥‡
Frequent Contributor
Science-Faire
0 Kudos

I'd like to ask a question here...Do you suppose if Harry found out Voldemort was threatening or hurting Draco (like the vision of Sirius) he would try to rescue Draco, or do you think Harry would turn his back and continue with his Horcrux hunt?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Science-Faire wrote:
I'd like to ask a question here...Do you suppose if Harry found out Voldemort was threatening or hurting Draco (like the vision of Sirius) he would try to rescue Draco, or do you think Harry would turn his back and continue with his Horcrux hunt?

Good question! I think it would depend on what the context was, who else was there, what they were saying, and so forth. For example, if Snape was in the room, I think he would predict that Snape would save him and he wouldn't have to. Also, Harry has no reason whatsoever to believe that Draco would accept any help from him, so he would need to balance that against any desire on his part to save a fellow human being.
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Yeah, that's definitely something to take into consideration. Who wants to help someone who doesn't want to be helped? It's frustrating, I know.

I think Harry would do it though. I think they've gotten payback on each other plenty of times by now that its time for a reconciliation. Harry probably realizes that- he's afraid of letting people down and I'm sure that even though Ron would be happy to see Draco go up in flames, Hermione would be very disappointed that Harry didn't even try to save him. Harry doesn't like to disappoint his friends. As far as Draco...he'd be so desperate in such a situation to just get out that he'd probably accept help from anyone.

Frequent Contributor
Dkrupp
0 Kudos

Madelia wrote:
I think they've gotten payback on each other plenty of times by now that its time for a reconciliation. Harry probably realizes that- he's afraid of letting people down and I'm sure that even though Ron would be happy to see Draco go up in flames, Hermione would be very disappointed that Harry didn't even try to save him. Harry doesn't like to disappoint his friends. As far as Draco...he'd be so desperate in such a situation to just get out that he'd probably accept help from anyone.

I must respectfully disagree with this. Harry just watched Draco try to kill Dumbledore, and knows he sent the cursed necklace that nearly killed Katie (with no regard for her, btw) as well as the poisoned mead, which nearly killed Ron, his best mate. I think he feels sorry for Draco, but this is canceled out by Draco's lack of regard for human life and his alliance with Voldemort and Snape (who Harry absolutely despises at this point.)

Hermione has criticized Harry for his "saving people thing" so I seriously doubt she'd be disappointed if he didn't try to save his known enemy. I think she'd be exasperated that he'd consider it. She values Harry's life over others and thinks he needs to let authority figures take care of some of the problems that exist. She'd want him to alert the Order and let them deal with the situation.

Draco would accept help from anyone. He is still a selfish git. He may change, but as change hasn't yet occurred, I'm not at all clear on the title of this thread "why we must love Draco." Jo has given us no reason why we must love Draco, only concern that girls can't separate Tom Felton from the character he plays.

From Anelli, Melissa and Emerson Spartz. "The Leaky Cauldron and MuggleNet interview Joanne Kathleen Rowling: Part Two," The Leaky Cauldron, 16 July 2005

MA: What does it do to you to see a character that you love, for people to express sheer hate -

ES: Or vice versa.

JKR: It amuses me. It honestly amuses me. People have been waxing lyrical [in letters] about Draco Malfoy, and I think that's the only time when it stopped amusing me and started almost worrying me. I'm trying to clearly distinguish between Tom Felton, who is a good looking young boy, and Draco, who, whatever he looks like, is not a nice man. It’s a romantic, but unhealthy, and unfortunately all too common delusion of — delusion, there you go — of girls, and you [nods to Melissa] will know this, that they are going to change someone. And that persists through many women's lives, till their death bed, and it is uncomfortable and unhealthy and it actually worried me a little bit, to see young girls swearing undying devotion to this really imperfect character, because there must be an element in there, that "I'd be the one who [changes him]." I mean, I understand the psychology of it, but it is pretty unhealthy. So, a couple of times I have written back, possibly quite sharply, saying [Laughter], "You want to rethink your priorities here."
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

I don't love Draco because of Tom Felton. I love Draco's character because I think he's a very well-developed character. I will admit I once had a celebrity crush on Tom, but it was soon gotten over and I wondered why I ever thought he was good looking in the first place. I think people can have different views on the characters apart from the actors even if they are good looking. I think for me, I dislike many of the movie characters more than the books. I don't really like Harry as a character in the books, don't like him in the movies, but Daniel is a good Harry and I think he's good looking. Doesn't mean I like the character. I think Emma is adorable but I don't really like the way she portrays Hermione, but I love book Hermione. I love Ron and Rupert Grint no matter what. It's all different.

Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

I also think JK is worried about girls being "in love" with Draco just because of what he's done in the past. Even if he does turn out to be truly "misunderstood", he's still done nasty things that even the most devoted Draco fan cannot deny. If they do, they are definitely, as she said, delusional. I think she's wondering how the whole "bad boy" fascination got so incredibly out of hand...so far in fact that people actually do like the BAD characters. I don't like the things he's done or the way he's acted, but I like the way his character is written and therefore, I like him as a character. I'd probably beat him into shape if I knew him in real life, just because I'd get sick of his attitude. I wouldn't necessarily want to "date" him though... I think I'd be more likely to have a crush on someone like Ron or the twins. :]

Anyway, I was just wondering, where did Hermione criticize Harry for "saving" people? I always thought she was the type to be disappointed in him if he didn't do the "right thing". And since Hermione never really says anything terribly bad about Draco, she only really stands up for herself and shoots him down, I would think she wouldn't be too hesitant to tell Harry it's the right thing to do. Of course, if it were between saving Draco and saving himself, she'd tell him to leave right away.
I think it's Ron that hates Draco the most. He'd tell him to let him die no matter what.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Madelia wrote:
... Anyway, I was just wondering, where did Hermione criticize Harry for "saving" people? ...

Her comments about this were made in the context of Harry's concern over Sirius being tortured by Voldemort in the MoM. She said that Voldemort knew that he would jump to rescue someone he cared about and would use that to get Harry to do something stupid. She was right...
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

Madelia wrote:
... Anyway, I was just wondering, where did Hermione criticize Harry for "saving" people? ...

Her comments about this were made in the context of Harry's concern over Sirius being tortured by Voldemort in the MoM. She said that Voldemort knew that he would jump to rescue someone he cared about and would use that to get Harry to do something stupid. She was right...

Hahaha, that's right. Well, Hermione is a smart one. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think that she's mainly just referring to those Harry loves... Voldemort uses Harry's loyalty to his advantage and gets people he's close to into trouble so that Harry rescue them. I don't think Voldemort would expect Harry to attempt to save Draco.

Of course, it would be interesting to see Draco turn "good", get into a life-threatening situation and beg Harry to help him, and at the last second completely turn on him.
Or is that too predictable. >.> I don't even know what's predictable or not anymore with these books!

Contributor
Lightningvine
0 Kudos

I LIKE this idea. Draco finally seeing the light, and leaving the DE forever.... I wonder what his father would say? More burn marks on the tapestry?
We did discuss the idea of getting rid of the Malfoy money....
Frequent Contributor
Ladybuglver8115
0 Kudos

Science-Faire wrote:

I think that Harry would save him that is just the type of person that Harry is. In PoA he had the chance to kill (or have killed rather) Peter Pettigrew but he didn't. Harry would never be able to live with himself if he knew that he could have saved Draco, even if he know that Draco was trying to kill Dumbledore. Peter as good as killed his parents.