Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Stewies_Mom
0 Kudos

Re: bugs? about secret keeper & Harry's phoenix wand

I think the point of Moody coming out of retirement and everyone talking so reverently about him was to show that he was (past tense) the greatest Auror that existed.  However, now, in the present, Moody is no longer that great Auror.  Several references had been made to his paranoid tendencies.  The idea, I believe, was to set him up as a crazy old man, to a certain degree.  I believe he was revered and respected because of his former ability, but he was certainly past his prime when he entered the series in GOF.  His paranoid tendanceis obviously weren't only in his mind, as everyone assumed, because he was actually captured at his residence by Crouch, Jr.  He was still over the hill, though, which is probably why he had already been retired.
New User
jjkk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I also have tow questions.

1. Why and how Dumbledore was dying after he wore the Hocrux ring?

2. Sirius Black gave Harry a mirror, saying that Harry could find him through the mirror. However, when Harry was in danger, he never used the mirror for the help from Sirius. why? 

Message Edited by jjkk on 06-24-2009 06:01 AM
Correspondent
Stewies_Mom
0 Kudos

My guesses at answers to your questions:

1).  The Horcruxed ring was cursed.  We can only assume that the curse slowly killed a person.  Since Dumbledore had the ring on for a short time, only his hand was immediately affected.  Additionally, the solution that Snape concocted would only slow the remaining effects of the curse, giving Dumbledore somewhere near a year of time before he would succumb completely to the effects of the curse.

2.)  Harry forgot all about the mirror until he thoroughly cleaned out his trunk in DH.  He only remembered about the mirror when he stabbed himself on its' shards in the bottom of his trunk.

New User
jjkk
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot.
Frequent Contributor
TheChippedWarlockBust
0 Kudos

What I believe has escaped everyone's attention concerning the secret of Grimauld place is that Voldemort didn't know that Moody was the secret keeper!

We assume that Snape knew who the secret keeper was and told Voldemort or that Voldemort 'just knew'.  I doubt either is true.  

Concerning Harry's house, everyone assumed Serius was the one who betrayed Harry's parents, so they must have assumed HE was the secret keeper when in fact, it was Wurmtail.  I presume that only James and Lilly Potter and Wurmtail knew who the secret holder was.   In the case of Grimauld place, are we certain that Serius kew who the secret keeper was.  Serius and Moody would have to know, but who else would Serius confide in?  Certainly NOT Snape.  Lupin and others may have know though.

Since Voldemort did NOT know that the secret keeper was dead, he wouldn't have bothered to reinterrogate Snape on the matter.   Snape may not have even realized he was now able to tell the secret, although even if he did, he likely would not have told Voldemort anyway. 

As for the bit of magic in Grimauld place that presumably would have prevented Snape or others from telling anyone about the location of Grimauld place (if it indeed did that... I'll have to reinvestigate it), there is no reason to believe that Moody couldn't have cast it. 

Some of suggested that since he died, it could no longer work.  This is just plain silly.  There are thousands of magical objects in existence in the Harry Potter books.  None of them should still be magical if their creators had died based on this faulty logic.  Clearly, this was not the case.  Also, many of the protections that we are led to believe that DD cast around Hogwart's were still in place after his death.   

This entire false belief of magic dying with its caster stems from Harry being freed after Dumbledore died and the fact that HE thought he was freed because Dumbledore's magic could no longer work.  However, I could come up with several explanations: 

1) Dumbledore cast the spell on Harry such that it would break upon his death (doubtful, but possible)  

2) Only spells casts directly on another person end when you die, but not spells invested in an object or protections placed on an area 

3) Wizards can alter the spell they cast to ensure it lasts after their death. 

4) The spell that had frozen Harry came to end normally and it was just coincidence that it ended roughly when DD died. 

Any one of those could easily explain why Harry was released and without ignoring the thousands of working magical objects that dead wizards had made many hundreds of years ago.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Welcome ChippedWarlockBust !

Moody was never made the secret keeper of Grimmauld Place.  Albus was the keeper and when he died everyone who was in on the secret got his secret keeper powers.  Everyone in the Order knew that Albus was the keeper.

Sirius knew that Wormtail was the secret keeper for the Potter house, as he was the one who later explained the mystery to Lupin, Harry, and Albus.

Your thoughts about spells lasting longer than the caster's lives are good ones, though!  Thanks for your contributions!

Frequent Contributor
TheChippedWarlockBust
0 Kudos

Good points about the secret keeper.  You're right... Serius did know about wormtail being the secret keeper.  

You were also right about DD being the secret keeper of Grimmauld place.  I had forgotten that and for some reason all the responses here were leading me to beleive it was Moody... although after DD's death, I guess all who were in on the secret became secret keepers themselves.

I do stand by the point that there aren't any inconsistencies with Voldemort not knowing the location of Grimmauld place.   I don't think he knew who the secret keeper was.  I don't think Snape would have told him even if he could have.   Snape could have continued to say he wasn't the secret keeper and so couldn't reveal the location (even it that was a lie).   Since he had just killed DD, Voldemort would have had no reason to doubt him.  He had proved his loyalty.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I agree.

But here's a question worth asking:  Why didn't Bella already know where Sirius' house was located?   Did she never visit as a child? 

Frequent Contributor
TheChippedWarlockBust
0 Kudos

Wow! good question about Belatrix?  I really have no idea.  You would have thought that she would know where the Black house was.    Since she never went there nor brought Voldemort there, I guess we have to assume she didn't know where it was.

Perhaps she had only been there by flu network or portkey or perhaps she was too young at the time she visited to now remember where it was since it was hidden.

Great question!