Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
New User
dumbledore1998
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎08-28-2008
0 Kudos

does anybody like harry potter?

i have heard that most of the harry potter fans hate harry. they find him annoying. but i like him. do u? please tell me your thoughts.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

I think you will find that everyone in this book club loves Harry.  But we are a mature group of people who don't find "good" annoying.  I would imagine that those fans who do think that Harry is annoying also love Draco and Voldemort -- being "bad" is "cool" for some people... especially those who don't care how much they hurt others.  They take the "easy" route, not the "right" one...

 

Were those the kinds of thoughts you were looking for?


dumbledore1998 wrote:
i have heard that most of the harry potter fans hate harry. they find him annoying. but i like him. do u? please tell me your thoughts.

 

Contributor
lia_gr
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎08-29-2008
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

Personally I like Harry Potter a lot. He's cool, brave, he loves his friends, he has morals, he is talented and smart in many ways and yet he is so insecure about himself, about girls..He's great!!! Maybe he' s too good and some people can't stand it or they like more the bad guys because they are more mysterious...

Contributor
goat123
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎09-01-2008
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

I was not crazy about Harry in the fifth book because I thought that he needed to tone down the angst a bit, but other than that I think that he is everything a hero of the genre of book should be: self-sacraficing, brave, loyal....

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
Posts: 1,234
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

I never understood anyone when they complained of Harry whining in book 5. I always felt he was justified as his life was a tough one to live. I can't even imagine being in his shoes.
Frequent Contributor
ciproano
Posts: 176
Registered: ‎03-13-2007
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

Anyone who has ever raised teenage boys can tell you that the Harry-whining-angst in Book 5 is not annoying, it isn't even artistry.  It is REALITY.  I live with two boys, ages 14 and 16, and I reread OOTP just to enjoy someone else's teenager being a moody, hormonal, awkward grump.

 

Puffy Griffinclaw

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are far more than our abilities."
Contributor
TinkPink80
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎03-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

I love everyone in the HP books, without them, we wouldn't have these wonderful books! Of course I root for certain ones, but deep down, they all have their place and reason, so how could we hate any of them!

 

Can't we all just get along? :smileyhappy:

 

Tink

"I'm gonna live forever, or die trying."
- Joseph Heller (Catch 22)
Contributor
goat123
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎09-01-2008
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

I agree with Tink...all of these books have an integral place within the Harry Potter storyline so all of them are important...I just like the last two the best :smileywink:....well and the third one was amazing too
Contributor
m4mits
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎07-10-2008
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

Is that even a valid question?

 

Forgive me if that sounds rude, and also I havent read anyone else's posts...

But there is not one thing abt  Harry that you couldn't like...

Infact you could find more things to criticise him being too much of...in a good sense...if you know what I mean...

Harry is...everything a girl could ask for in a guy :smileyhappy:

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?


m4mits wrote, in part:

 

Harry is...everything a girl could ask for in a guy :smileyhappy:


Personally, I prefer men with a little more brain power.  But then, I haven't been a 'girl' for quite some time!  :smileyhappy:

 

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
m4mits
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎07-10-2008
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

What's wrong with his brain power??

on the other hand, I think I keep mixing up Harry and Dan in my mind..

I take them as one...

so yeah i was talking abt Dan :smileytongue:

but Harry comes pretty close... :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

 

Of course it's a valid question,m4mits.  Here, we are talking about Harry Potter, not Dan Radcliffe, relative to your later post.  You really must separate the two-one is a fictional character, the other an actor.

 

I liked Harry Potter, the character, much better from book 5 on. I am repeating comments I made on another thread, but in books 1-4, I found Harry Potter a little too good to be true.  Considering the type of childhood he had, to be such a self sacrificing kid just didn't ring true for me.  Once we get to OOTP, and Harry starts getting cranky-that sounded real.  Somewhere Dumbledore says something like (and I am paraphrasing madly) youth can't know what old age feels like, but old age is in error if it forgets what youth feels like. 

 

Harry with an edge was much more realistic, at least to me.

 

 

 

 

 

 


m4mits wrote:

Is that even a valid question?

 

Forgive me if that sounds rude, and also I havent read anyone else's posts...

But there is not one thing abt  Harry that you couldn't like...

Infact you could find more things to criticise him being too much of...in a good sense...if you know what I mean...

Harry is...everything a girl could ask for in a guy :smileyhappy:


 

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

Harry rang just as true to me in the first few books as he did in the latter ones... he wasn't a goody-two-shoes -- his room was a mess, he had a bit of a smart mouth, he wasn't a very conscientious student, and he bent quite a few rules. 

 

After a life full of humiliation, he was an expectedly humble kid.

 

But the self-sacrificing part rang especially true to me, given his upbringing...  I guess it has been my experience that self-sacrificing souls often come from upbringings in which they were downtrodden and lonely... perhaps they appreciate their friendships all the more?  Or go out of their way to prove themselves worthy of friendship?   Or try to be the same kind of knight-in-shining-armor for others that they once had hoped would rescue them? 

 

Whatever the reason, I don't think those are qualities that one normally finds in kids who have been the center of their parents' attention and given everything their little hearts desired...

 

 

Frequent Contributor
BookFan21
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎08-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

i totally agree:smileyvery-happy: who doesnt like harry?
"May your swords stay sharp"
-Christopher Paolini
Eragon & Eldest



"No, Draco." Dumbledore said quietly, "It is my mercy, not yours, that matters now."
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

Well, different strokes, I guess :smileyhappy:  I still preferred the older Harry, with the attitude!

 


Psychee wrote:

Harry rang just as true to me in the first few books as he did in the latter ones... he wasn't a goody-two-shoes -- his room was a mess, he had a bit of a smart mouth, he wasn't a very conscientious student, and he bent quite a few rules. 

 

After a life full of humiliation, he was an expectedly humble kid.

 

But the self-sacrificing part rang especially true to me, given his upbringing...  I guess it has been my experience that self-sacrificing souls often come from upbringings in which they were downtrodden and lonely... perhaps they appreciate their friendships all the more?  Or go out of their way to prove themselves worthy of friendship?   Or try to be the same kind of knight-in-shining-armor for others that they once had hoped would rescue them? 

 

Whatever the reason, I don't think those are qualities that one normally finds in kids who have been the center of their parents' attention and given everything their little hearts desired...

 

 


 

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?


m4mits wrote:

What's wrong with his brain power??

on the other hand, I think I keep mixing up Harry and Dan in my mind..

I take them as one...

so yeah i was talking abt Dan :smileytongue:

but Harry comes pretty close... :smileyvery-happy:


 

Ha.  Well, let's just say he's no Hermione.  See what I mean???  I'm talking strictly about the character in the books.

 

I agree with Psychee that Harry's humility and willingness to sacrifice himself for others are among his most endearing qualities.  JKR might say she admired his courage, which she finds one of the most admirable of all traits in people who have it.

 

To my mind, in interviews, Daniel Radcliffe comes across as a well-read, poised, and mature young man!  It seems he's reaped the benefits of being somewhat cloistered in the studio for so much of his childhood, without being harmed by too many of the disadvantages.  He strikes you as one who will fairly easily overcome the disadvantages (being sheltered, e.g.) once his days filming Potter are finally over.  Let's hope so!

 

~ConnieK 

~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
Posts: 1,234
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

Oh, Connie. Please forgive me for the immaturity, but this just sounds funny. Almost like a fessing up.

 


ConnieK wrote:

But then, I haven't been a 'girl' for quite some time!  :smileyhappy:

 


 

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?


Kreacherteacher wrote:

Oh, Connie. Please forgive me for the immaturity, but this just sounds funny. Almost like a fessing up.

 


ConnieK wrote:

But then, I haven't been a 'girl' for quite some time!  :smileyhappy:

 


 


 

Ha!  Ok, now to really confuse you--I haven't been a "boy" for quite some time, either!  Now, I've really got you wondering, eh???  :smileyhappy:

 

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Starlet
Posts: 416
Registered: ‎12-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like harry potter?

yeah.

ConnieK wrote:

Kreacherteacher wrote:

Oh, Connie. Please forgive me for the immaturity, but this just sounds funny. Almost like a fessing up.

 


ConnieK wrote:

But then, I haven't been a 'girl' for quite some time!  :smileyhappy:

 


 


 

Ha!  Ok, now to really confuse you--I haven't been a "boy" for quite some time, either!  Now, I've really got you wondering, eh???  :smileyhappy:

 

~ConnieK


 

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"I cannot live without books."
Thomas Jefferson
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
Posts: 793
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: does anybody like Harry potter?


ConnieK wrote:

 

Ha!  Ok, now to really confuse you--I haven't been a "boy" for quite some time, either!  Now, I've really got you wondering, eh???  :smileyhappy:

 

~ConnieK


Oh, I see.. One of *those* people :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

Now as to the subject of dear Harry.... He is a good character, especially with the character development later in series, however, he had a bad habit of being too stubborn and focused to pay attention... If I was him, by year three, if Hermione opened her mouth about whatever trouble they were facing I would shut up listen and take notes!

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"