Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

if you could only have one HP book with you for awhile, what would you pick?

I'm about to move to Ukraine for Peace Corps, and will only have space to pack a few books. I've decided to only take one HP book to make room for other stuff. The hard part is, which one would you pick and why?

I'm leaning towards HBP, but open to suggestions.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Re: if you could only have one HP book with you for awhile, what would you pick?

I would say HBP as well. Rereading, it appeals to me more and more. TR's past, school, the Ginny relationship, it's the most classic of hp books, I think, having all the components of before books and adding the twist of LV's horcruxes.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Re: if you could only have one HP book with you for awhile, what would you pick?

[ Edited ]
Take the book that makes you feel happiest.

phrodo41 wrote:
I'm about to move to Ukraine for Peace Corps, and will only have space to pack a few books. I've decided to only take one HP book to make room for other stuff. The hard part is, which one would you pick and why?

Message Edited by dcsbelle on 09-21-2007 11:48 PM
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

ok - but which one makes YOU feel happiest?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

phrodo41 wrote:

Wow. That's a tough one, Phrodo. HBP would be a good option, but I think I might have chosen OoP. It covers the emotional extremes, it has a lot of comic relief, the story itself is more complicated with more subplots than HBP, and the ending is satisfying.

Too bad you can't shrink them all into a beaded handbag, though...
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

tell me bout it! I would kill for Hermione's handbag right now.
Frequent Contributor
Kimmi373
0 Kudos

Wow, I have been stewing on this question all night and I still cannot decide! I would have to put the names of three books on three pieces of paper, throw them into the Goblet of Fire and see which one comes out: POA, OP, and HBP.

And I would have to photocopy the last four chapters of DH, as a mini HP book :smileyhappy:

Good luck!
I don’t want realism. I want magic!
~ Tennessee Williams, "A Streetcar Named Desire"
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

First of all Phrodo41, good luck and God bless. May you have a safe trip. This sounds like a great opportunity for you.

I think I would have to take HBP as well. Being that DH is still so fresh in my mind, I would want to go back and reread HBP.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

The first one--it introduced me to the characters and the world.

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Okay, I'd take Azkaban because it's my favorite--but I'm not going to the Ukraine!

phrodo41 wrote:
ok - but which one makes YOU feel happiest?

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Contributor
snowyowl_ecs
0 Kudos

I'd probably take the philosopher's/sorcerer's stone. Why you ask? Because I love them all equally but the first one started it all. Plus I would probably try and recruit people into the wonderful world of Harry Potter and they would need to start with numero uno.
Embrace your inner Luna Lovegood. ~Make awkward sexual advances, not war. ~Just because something's in your head doesn't mean it isn't real. ~If it matters to you it matters. ~Everyone's some kind of crazy. ~Never take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive.
Frequent Contributor
FantasyFan
0 Kudos

What about getting a couple on audio? They are kind of expensive though :smileysad:
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Oohhnice *puts down wineglass spiked with fine whisky and stops prowling the posh fireplace.

I would uhhh… take book 3?because it’s my favorite,.i love the godfather Sirius part I swear.
No—book 4? Cause it’s the most exciting in the book in the series ever?
It’s hard. Ummmmm... give me moooreee tiimee to thiiinkk..zzzzz…
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

phrodo41 wrote:

and when are you going to ukraine phrodo????
so you're leaving us too?
this Paradise of harry potter overload?
I refuse to let you go away! Your father shall hear about this…. Noooo!

I have hidden all of your books, you need to stay so you can have them.

*single tear slowly trickling down her naturally pink cheeks,.
*woes of mrs weasley part 2
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Phrodo has to take the ring to Mordor. We cannot stay in his way. Let him go mrsrsw.
Frequent Contributor
kraziekatie24
0 Kudos

wow.
i'd take the end of dh and numuro uno.

becasue thats what made me love it.

-Kate

Hey Stephen, I could give you fifty reasons why I should be the one you chose. Those other girls, well, they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?

hisgoldeneyesmesmorizedme

book nerd. music freak. movie fanatic.
major obsesser over so many things.

I love to read and write poetry/lyrics and short stories. The layers of music fascinates me. Someday, I want to do movie soundtracks, maybe, or teach. The book to movie transition fascinates me to the extreme. I've been mesmorized by the way Harry Potter and Twilight and so many others have been brought into movies is something I think I would love to do.
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

haha, you guys are killing me over here. I'm taking off Friday. Never fear though... there IS Internet in Ukraine, somewhere. And I just found ebooks for all 7 that fit nicely on my laptop!
Frequent Contributor
snapessister
0 Kudos

Okay, it's not really a book, but if you have access to an mp3 player or ipod, you could listen to Jim Dale narrating HP, he does great voices for all the characters. I love to listen to it on the road.

If it had to be a book, I'd probably choose the HBP, although I LOVE the first book.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

ebooks? I thought JKR never allowed the books to be digitized, only audio?

~ConnieK

phrodo41 wrote:
haha, you guys are killing me over here. I'm taking off Friday. Never fear though... there IS Internet in Ukraine, somewhere. And I just found ebooks for all 7 that fit nicely on my laptop!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

There are hp ebooks now! I think I saw my pseudo potter fan friend downloading it or something. BTW, you wouldn’t wanna meet me in real life, unless I met you here first. Say I just met you, by the bus station or something and you introduce yourself to me, then you reveal you’re an hp fan.
Well, to mrsRW a true HP fan must know the answers to all tricky questions!
So I go, ‘oh yeah, so how many staircases are there at Hogwarts? Huh? What ? sorry you’re wrong! Well I aint gonna tell you! See ya’

*mRs Rw just ate breakfast. Sleep was good. No sick dreams.
Looks out her window…sighs… phrodo baggins… must shave his feet. I cannot let him be seen with those horrible feet. What ring was kreacher talking about? I must get that ring. I must delay his departure.. wobbles molly gone, crabby patty gone… I shall put my foot—aha! And not only my foot but my other foot and butterbeer down ----you-shall-not-leave! You will post every day and you will ask the question we all know the answers to!!!!!! Connie must not allow you to leave…..i shall send a howler.how do I make one? Do I just start screaming at my parchment?
But I will do it after noon. I do not deal with bad news in the morning..
I shall be up by the attic.. cleaning…humph

ConnieK wrote:
ebooks? I thought JKR never allowed the books to be digitized, only audio?

~ConnieK

phrodo41 wrote: