Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
lion_griff
0 Kudos

Re: is ginny a horocrux???

[ Edited ]
ginny is not a horocrux.Ginny was only being controlled by the diary.the only horocrux was the diary.but remeber what was in the memory?it was only items.only items can be a horocrux.

lion_griff

Message Edited by lion_griff on 01-20-200701:44 PM

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Who said only items can be horcruxes? Dumbledore said its inadvisable to use an animal but he didnt say it couldnt be done.

lion_griff wrote:
ginny is not a horocrux.Ginny was only being controlled by the diary.the only horocrux was the diary.but remeber what was in the memory?it was only items.only items can be a horocrux.

lion_griff

Message Edited by lion_griff on 01-20-200701:44 PM

New User
my_name_should_b_hermione
0 Kudos

vv wrote:
i think this a good idea making ginny a horocrux this could be a bad thing for harry thought does this mean he will have to destroy ginny too

from vv,14

I think that if Ginny really was a horcrux, Harry would not be able to kill her. Then, this means that either someone else would have to kill Ginny OR Harry could not completely kill Voldemort because he could not kill Ginny.
Contributor
KickedAbyss
0 Kudos

Ginny cannot - Cannot - Be a horocrux

Not because I like her and all of that, but because of simple math. Ginny is younger than Harry, right? Harry destroyed Voldermort the first time when he was a year old about, which means that somehow Voldermort would have had to murder someone and create her as one right as she was born; or just about. This isn't logical in many ways and for that matter it is possible that she wasn't even born at the time.

Sorry to be forward, but I don't see the logic behind how it could have been done.

And I don't believe a Horocrux can be transfered; not likely anyways

"Surprising what you can dig out of books if you read long enough, isn't it?" -- Rand Al'Thor

Frequent Contributor
gealbhan
0 Kudos

It would be a great plot twist if Ginny turned out to be a horcrux (if somewhat James Bond-esque), but I agree with Kicked Abyss - it just isn't logical. Unless you can preserve the damage to your soul and make the horcrux months later...but it would still be really stupid of LV. Dumbledore said it would have been really risky even entrusting a shred of soul to a snake (Nagini), and using a human as a horcrux would be even more dangerous. LV inhabited Quirrel's body for a while, but that was only in desperate circumstances. Besides, I think Ginny is a stronger character than Quirrel was and it would be harder for LV to control her. He could do it (he already has), but it would be a waste of energy. It's a bit of a shame, because having Ginny as a horcrux would be so interesting...
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Excellent point. And Voldemort didn't even have a body after he tried to curse Harry. Everyone thought he was dead. I think you have definitely ended this topic!

KickedAbyss wrote:
Ginny cannot - Cannot - Be a horocrux

Not because I like her and all of that, but because of simple math. Ginny is younger than Harry, right? Harry destroyed Voldermort the first time when he was a year old about, which means that somehow Voldermort would have had to murder someone and create her as one right as she was born; or just about. This isn't logical in many ways and for that matter it is possible that she wasn't even born at the time.

Sorry to be forward, but I don't see the logic behind how it could have been done.

And I don't believe a Horocrux can be transfered; not likely anyways

Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

Re: is Ginny a horocrux???

Its a good question, and I hadn't really thought about it until I read this, but I don't think she is. Because in the order of the phoenix when Harry is worried about Voldemort possessing him Ginny points out to him that she WAS POSSESSED by him in COS, because she asks him if he was blacking out and everything that had happened to her. So I think it was really just Voldemort possessing her not really putting his soul into her, also because I don't think that its possible for part of a soul to spilt itself again. You know?

****** THE ALL CAPS IS BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT INTO ITALICS*****
Julie
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

I know exactly what u r talking about. I wondered the same thing. If he can make his snake one why wouldn't he be able to make Harry one too. OR maybe that's why he killed Lilly and James potter so that he could try to turn Harry into a horcrux but it back fired. I haven't figured it all out yet but I think that could be a definite possibility!!!
Julie
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Re: is Ginny a horocrux???

I think you can make things italics by putting i and /i in around the text. Do a quote post and see the br or blockquote, those things except put I inside instead of blockquote

Italics in here

jftapia88 wrote:
Its a good question, and I hadn't really thought about it until I read this, but I don't think she is. Because in the order of the phoenix when Harry is worried about Voldemort possessing him Ginny points out to him that she WAS POSSESSED by him in COS, because she asks him if he was blacking out and everything that had happened to her. So I think it was really just Voldemort possessing her not really putting his soul into her, also because I don't think that its possible for part of a soul to spilt itself again. You know?

****** THE ALL CAPS IS BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT INTO ITALICS*****

Contributor
readergirl12105
0 Kudos

It's either ginny or Harry that's a horcrux, i'm not sure. But it'll definitely have to be hard for harry to kill whoever is one, because he'd have to in order for voldemort to be all the way dead. that's what i think.
Frequent Contributor
BobbiAnne
0 Kudos

P.S. does anybody think that Dumbledores still alive?

JK herself has said that Dumbledore is definately dead. She was pretty clear about it-but, didn't Fawkes have to die before he could be reborn again from his ashes? Maybe that's why he's definately dead?
Frequent Contributor
gealbhan
0 Kudos

Yes, I'm definitely going with the phoenix theory for Dumbledore. I really don't think that any people are horcruxes. Nice drama opportunity, but implausible.
Frequent Contributor
cjb07
0 Kudos

gealbhan wrote:
Yes, I'm definitely going with the phoenix theory for Dumbledore. I really don't think that any people are horcruxes. Nice drama opportunity, but implausible.

I agree, it seems that only objects can be horcruxes. I really don't see how anything alive could last that long with a piece of Voldemort inside of them. Even though Tom Riddle (aka Voldemort's soul) possessed Ginny, that piece of soul still resided within the diary, and when Harry stabbed it, it was destroyed.
Frequent Contributor
quidditch2323
0 Kudos

Pretty good thinking. I think that it is possible.I hope not, though. It would be so sad!
"From this point forth, we shall be leaving the firm foundation of fact and journeying together through the murky marshes of memory into thickets of wildest guesswork."

AlbusDumbledore
Contributor
Kileyanne
0 Kudos

why would ginny be a horcrux? she would have to be working for LV and she would know, wouldnn't she? and she wouldn't be crushing out and dating him, she would be trying to kill him!
Soon-to-be famous author, Kileyanne
Contributor
Kileyanne
0 Kudos

besides, only objects can be horcruxes, not humans!
Soon-to-be famous author, Kileyanne
Frequent Contributor
harrypotterrocksmyworld
0 Kudos

Hey! :O

Kileyanne copied what I was going to say! Anyway, Ginny couldn't be a Horcruxe because she hasn't come in contact with Voldomort so he couldn't have made her a Horcruxe. Besides if she was, Voldomort would be possesing her like he did in the diary. So she wouldn't be dating Harry, instead she'd be trying to kick his butt! :smileyvery-happy:
Type to you later! (Literally!) :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
Bookfreak101
0 Kudos

i think that harry is the horocrux too. i mean think about it. his scar warns him when Voldemorts close. Plus i mean that would be a twist in the book because then harry would have to kill voldemort and then he would ether have to kill himself or someone else would.
Frequent Contributor
cjb07
0 Kudos

Bookfreak101 wrote:
i think that harry is the horocrux too. i mean think about it. his scar warns him when Voldemorts close. Plus i mean that would be a twist in the book because then harry would have to kill voldemort and then he would ether have to kill himself or someone else would.

Harry has a connection to Voldemort, but I don't think that he has his soul in him. Just like I said about Ginny, no one could last long with Voldemort in them. Quirrel had Voldemort parasitcally feeding off of him, and he was on the quick decline down before Harry killed him in SS. I think that when Harry's scar feels Voldemort's approach, it is a magical bind between them, but it doens't go so far as the soul.
New User
enirehtak
0 Kudos

k, this whole ginny being a horcrux is a inventive idea, but there's no possible way it could be true. ginny is a year younger than harry. voldemort's fall from power was when harry was a year old, making ginny non-existant at the time. besides, a horcrux is made from something important to that person. the ring and the book, both horcruxes, were important to voldemort. how is ginny important to him? it's an interesting theory, but not probable.