Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
Packernut13
0 Kudos

Re: "Harry Potter: The Exhibition"--Coming Soon to a Museum Near You!

I live just north of Green Bay Wisconsin and will be head to Chicago in mid July to see the exhibit. I am really excited and hope that it is as good as all the reviews say it is.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Ah... Chicago in summer.... long walks by the lake.... Fourth of July fireworks concert under the stars...  Ravinia....  Ravinia.... Ravinia.... 

You guys are getting me nostalgic!

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Never forget the Taste of Chicago and boating on Lake Michigan.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

agnijay wrote:
It's official! I'm going the same day the movie comes out; my dad's cousins are taking me. We'll go downtown to the AMC theatre and watch it, then we'll go to the exhibit. Plus, we're members, so it's all good. I'm so excited! I'll post back as soon as I come back.

Jaya--going to see the exhibit the day the movie comes out is a great idea!  I bet it'll be packed that weekend, if it hasn't been already!  Oh, and yes--you MUST come back and POST about what you saw!
Message Edited by ConnieK on 06-03-2009 12:50 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Packernut13 wrote:
I live just north of Green Bay Wisconsin and will be head to Chicago in mid July to see the exhibit. I am really excited and hope that it is as good as all the reviews say it is.

Excellent!  Will you come back and tell us about it?  Pretty please?  :smileywink:
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader
Packernut13
0 Kudos

Of course! and if they allow pictures I will get those too. I really hope they allow pictures but I am not getting my hope up. With alot of special museum exhibits pictures are not allowed. I have been to both body worlds and the titanic exhibit and neither one of those exhibits allowed pictures.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Packernut13 wrote:
Of course! and if they allow pictures I will get those too. I really hope they allow pictures but I am not getting my hope up. With alot of special museum exhibits pictures are not allowed. I have been to both body worlds and the titanic exhibit and neither one of those exhibits allowed pictures.

Yeah; they might not. But you can paint a word picture for us.  We'll still like that!  :smileywink:
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Scribe
Jules934

If you go to www.msichicago.org there is a presentation on the exhibit.  Some pics too.  Enjoy, and see the rest of the museum too, esp the Doll House.  And look carefully -- some of those things that look like diamonds and emeralds really are Dimonds and Emeralds!!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Jules934 wrote:
If you go to www.msichicago.org there is a presentation on the exhibit.  Some pics too.  Enjoy, and see the rest of the museum too, esp the Doll House.  And look carefully -- some of those things that look like diamonds and emeralds really are Dimonds and Emeralds!!

Thanks so much, Jules!  Wouldn't you just love to go through that exhibit with a group of kids?  I would, still being a big kid myself!  Ha!  :smileyvery-happy:
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Thank you, Jules!

I was intrigued by the picture of Hagrid's hut with the sloping flooring.  It never occurred to me that they made Hagrid appear huge by adjusting the floor!

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

GOING ON TUESDAY!!!

Ahhh, so excited! 

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

agnijay wrote:

GOING ON TUESDAY!!!

Ahhh, so excited! 

Ooh--that's TODAY, agnijay--you MUST report back as soon as you can!  Ha!  :smileyhappy:
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

JUST CAME BACK!

It was really cool. At the beginning they had this Sorting Hat thing which sorted you into your house. (My bro got Ravenclaw, I didn't do it.) Then you watched a short clip and entered. It was amazing! I was surprised to see that Danielle Radcliffe was so small in the 1st movie! His clothes were teeny. They also had the mechanized Dobby and Kreacher and the paralized Colin Creevey. They had this one room which was Hagrid's Hut and they had Hagrid's real clothes. It was so cool! There was a room for almost everything.. including "the dark forces," the Forbidden Forest," and the Yule Ball. They also had a little thing where you could play Chasers with these Quaffles and put them through hoops. Wands of every character with the exception of Harry were displayed, and when viewing the exhibit I felt as though magic existed. At the end was a souvenir shop, which was made to look like Diagon Alley, with each of the many stores having a little booth type thing. Among items sold were Fizzing Whizbees, Fudge Flies, Bertie Botts, a small replica of Hogwarts, apparel, and the covers drawn by the original artist ($600 a piece!) It was a pretty cool exhibit all in all, though I probably wouldn't go back again.

On a side note, NO ONE was wearing a costume. 

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Amazing!  That's so much more than I thought there would be!  thanks for the info.
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Amazing!  That's so much more than I thought there would be!  Thanks for the info.
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Oh yes, I completely forgot about these mandrakes you could pull up and they screamed like in the movie... That was entertaining. 
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

agnijay wrote:
Oh yes, I completely forgot about these mandrakes you could pull up and they screamed like in the movie... That was entertaining. 

Jaya--Thanks so much for your terrific description.  It's almost like being there--thanks for the details!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]