Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
life06
0 Kudos

Re: the great Snape Debate

I believe that Snape is a friend. A pompous overbearing friend but a friend. He has always had this sort of character in the first book McG said she couldn't stand facing Snape again if his house won. In the first book Snape tries to save Harry instead of letting him die no one would have blamed him for not doing anything. However, Snape has always disliked Harry because he looked so much like his father who bullied Snape for no reason. Snape had had a difficult life much like Harry, yet Snape always treated Harry as if he was a show off like his father. Plus, Dumbledore asked Harry to take him to snape, not slughorn, not madam Pomfrey but snape. Sure Snape was better at Potions than Slughorn but, Dumbledore had probably heard Harry was "just as good" with potions why not ask Harry to whip up an antidote. Harry repeatedly attempted to warn Dumbledore about Snape,
"Dumbledore listened to Harry's story with an impassive face. When Harry had finished he did not speak for a few moments, then said, 'Thank you for telling me this Harry, but I suggest that you put it out of your mind.' 'Not of great importance?' repeated Harry incredulously. 'Professor , did you understand-?' 'Yes Harry, blessed as I am with extraordinary brainpower, I understood everything you told me,' said Dumbledore, a little sharply. 'I think you might even consider the possibility that I understood more than you did. Again, I am glad you have confided in me, but let me reassure you that you have not told me anything that causes me disquiet."(Harry and the Half-Blood Prince pgs. 358-359)
I believe this means that Dumbledore knew what Snape was going to do that was why he asked to be taken to Snape. I get the funny feeling all through the book that Dumbledore was trying to rush things along sure there was a war going on but should anyone send untrained soldiers to war Dumbledore was trying to train Harry during this short time.
New User
cnr2011
0 Kudos

I Beleive that snape may be good but there still is evil in him cause he did in the begining join voldemort without n e order from dumbledorea and in the first book it is told that sanpe was onece saved by james ahrrys father and i dont believe he ahs fully repaid him in that matter
Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if Snape is good or evil. He's saved Harry(Good).
He's killed Dumbledore (Bad)

This conversation is been going on for a long time and it will end tomorrow night. I predict that Snape will hurt both side being Evil in the beginning and Good in the end. If Snape decides to go Evil that's his choice. We'll have to wait until JKR will tell us the ending.

Snape
Friend
OR
Foe
Contributor
Jr55678
0 Kudos

phrodo41 wrote:
with all due respect, I don't think the editors that put together the OOTP trailer have any of the answers from book 7.

But the directors and producers meet with JK before every movie and they she made it very clear to them to put in Kreacher as well and I think that he will be the one that performs magic or has anyone ever seen him do magic?
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

I faithfully promise to eat my words, helped down with a nice BIG slice of humble pie, if Snape does not turn out to have been 100% loyal to Dumbledore.

On the other hand, if I don't take care I may be more unbearable to be around for awhile than Percy, if I am right... :smileytongue:
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Jr55678 wrote:

phrodo41 wrote:
with all due respect, I don't think the editors that put together the OOTP trailer have any of the answers from book 7.

But the directors and producers meet with JK before every movie and they she made it very clear to them to put in Kreacher as well and I think that he will be the one that performs magic or has anyone ever seen him do magic?

Please direct me to a quote where this is confirmed by JKR. I have heard this and similar claims about her role with regards to the movies and I have yet to find anything solid. I will believe it when I have proof that she said it.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
Jr55678
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:

Jr55678 wrote:

phrodo41 wrote:

Please direct me to a quote where this is confirmed by JKR. I have heard this and similar claims about her role with regards to the movies and I have yet to find anything solid. I will believe it when I have proof that she said it.

JKR: I've given you more than I've given anyone else which I probably shouldn't probably say...on screen, or they'll kidnap and torture him, and we need him. But yeah, I've told Steve probably more than I've told anyone else, because he needs to know. Because it's incredibly annoying of me when he says "Well shall we cut that", or "I wanted to do this" and I say, "Well no... because, you know, in book six, something will happen and you'll need that in" or "that will contradict something that happens" and I can feel him on the end of the emails, you know, [does impression of frustrated Steve typing] "would you mind telling me why?" So I have told him things. But he's very good at guessing. He's guessed more shrewdly than anyone else, I think.

or for the whole interview go here http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2003/0302-newsround-mzimba.htm
The quote says:
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:

The character in question is that of Black family House elf, Kreacher. "Order of the Phoenix" director David Yates remarked on what J.K. Rowling's reaction was to the possible omission and the article notes:

“It was Kreacher, actually,” director David Yates confirmed to MTV News on Sunday. “We took Kreacher out, and Jo said, ‘Listen guys, you don’t have to put Kreacher back, but I’m just telling you, if you want to kind of keep a thread going for six and seven, you might want Kreacher to come back.’ She basically told us Kreacher plays a role in Seven, in a sense. She hinted. We thought about it for five seconds, and he came back.” What you won’t see in the Kreacher scenes, however, is him squirreling away any artifacts such as, say, a mysterious locket no one can open (see “Elf’s Absence From Next ‘Harry Potter’ Flick Opens Up Plot Questions“). “Bad David!” Daniel Radcliffe, who plays Harry, teased his director about the locket’s absence. “It was kind of tricky to raise that in our story, because it’s for so much later,” Yates said. “We figured we can probably introduce it later, and that’s the approach we took.”

www.the-leaky-cauldron.or...t-revealed

I never accept the movies as canon. Though JKR may nudge the directors and writers a bit, there's no way she is going to give out information regarding the ending or anything major. She may have put clues in the movies but since so much is left out or changed, for the most part, why bother looking?

Now with Kreacher, I believe this points to R.A.B.

Alan Rickman has made several comments regarding Snape but I don't read them as canon, though I find them very interesting.

*~ 1 day ~*
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Thank you, amm, for posting that quote. I had heard it existed, but I've become very skeptical. Just because she's supposed to have said something, I can't believe it until I read it for myself.

The quote you posted, Jr, was a good one too. But that related to the second movie and was an interview with Steve Kloves. Michael Goldenberg was the screenwriter on OotP, so everything Jo said about and to Steve doesn't really apply.

Amm, I'm very much like you. The movies are NOT canon. Like that quote says, she didn't tell them that they HAVE to put Kreacher back in. She only very strongly advised it.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

This has nothing to do with Snape, but on the topic of house elves, does anybody miss Dobby as much as i do??? I am heartbroken they have kept him out of the last three movies! And has David Yates gone mad? WHAT ABOUT S.P.E.W.???!!!!!

-A lover of both Dobby and of course, Winky...A little over 24 hours left now...
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

I just don't think Dobby or Winky have as big a role to play this time. Kreacher has proven himself to be a very...interfering character. He played the Wormtail to Sirius's James, in a sort of way. He caused the death of a main character. He might have Slytherin's locket. What do Dobby and Winky have? Nada, plot-wise.
As for Kreacher being the one to perform magic (unexpectedly, I mean): he already has, so he can't be. House-elves have their own brand of magic, and we've already seen Kreacher vanish a few times. So...no. My guess is one of the Dursleys. It won't be Figg or Filch, they're just not important enough. Since Petunia is the only plot-significant Dursley, she's probably the one, though I might remember hearing that Rowling said it wasn't her...hm.
Basically, I don't know. How'd we get on this topic?
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Yes, thank you, RiftDog. Back to the ol' Snapester on this thread, folks. There are threads for the Elfsters out there...

~ConnieK, 27.5 hours

RiftDoggy wrote:
Basically, I don't know. How'd we get on this topic?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Tonks07
0 Kudos

By the way anyone else find it how amazing that Doby seems so inherently good and yet ended up with the worst of the households, majicaly speaking. PLus he defied his mastes to go out on a limb on his own and save harry? i think this is one incredibly elf and i pray that he will be a heroic roll in the book that i will be in line for in less then 24 hours! yay!

and go snape go, !
New User
Windameir
0 Kudos

I hate to admit it because of how cool a charictor Dumbledore was but im convinced hes truly dead but their must be some deeper meaning to his death .. I can't wait to find out all the Dirt Wheeeeee!!!!!

Oh and...
Does anyone else think that maybe Dumbledore had Snape make an unbreakable vow?
Death is not the end
It is only the begining of another wonderfull journey
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Windameir wrote:
Does anyone else think that maybe Dumbledore had Snape make an unbreakable vow?

This question has come up a couple of times in the 41 pages of this thread. Personally, I don't believe they did and I have two reasons:

1) Dumbledore trusts people. He hears their story and he believes them. He doesn't need to require them to make vows because he considers himself (and to a large extent, he is) an excellent judge of character.

2) The penalty for breaking the Unbreakable Vow is death. And that just sounds like pure dark arts stuff to me. I can't see Dumbledore entering into any vow where the violation results in anyone's death.