Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

what was your favorite book in the whole series?

i think the person who made this website is the smartest of all! imagine how this discussion can go on and on?? haha! i love it!
i would like to get all of your inputs ,
**what's your fave book in the series?
tell me why you like it and enthrall us with your story.
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
stacielynn
0 Kudos

Re: what was your favorite book in the whole series?

I would have to say that Deathly Hallows is my favorite. I never thought it would replace any of the other books. I love Sorcer's Stone too. I just started re-reading the series last night and I am going to start highlighting quotes and vital information from the series.
StacieLynn

Why does it have to end?

JKR Please write another book series.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'll pass your compliment along to the Barnes & Noble editors, MrsRW! The online book clubs are a great idea, aren't they? I agree!

As for my favorite HP book--that's tough. I seem to be one of the few people in this, but I always go back to the first one when this is asked because it introduced me to the world. It also feels the most revised and carefully written to me. JKR had the time to make it better, and the others just read sloppy and rushed to me, not edited enough on her part. I also like the 3rd book because the conflict is the most internal (in Harry's head) in that one--I like internal conflict more than battles and lots of flash and dash. In the others, I have more what I would call favorite moments or scenes.

Great question now that the series is all out!

~ConnieK

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
i think the person who made this website is the smartest of all! imagine how this discussion can go on and on?? haha! i love it!

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-11-2007 09:50 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

I think it's a tie between Half Blood Prince and OOTP.

OOTP is great because of all the emotion, the political intrigue and the sticking it to the man; HBP because its' so intricately plotted, with such a tragic ending.

Hallows is a little weird; I still love it, but I'm not quite used to all ofit yet. It's a lot different than the other books, and I think it's missing some of the stuff that makes a Harry book great; mainly, Hogwarts.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Oh...I can't believe no one's thought of this thread before!

My favourite (by the way, i HATE how the americans spell "favorite" different than in Britain. It's ridiculous!) would have to be...er, The Deathly Hallows, of course, but The Goblet of Fire I've always loved....I don't know, it's a tie.
I love DH because you're always on the edge of your seat, there's was no point for me when i was at all in the slightest bored, or wanting to put the book down for a break. And the GoF was the very first book that really did more than enthrall me: it captivated me. I love the tasks, and the characters...and the Yule Ball, where Ron unveils some feelings the rest of us knew were there all along. It's all very gripping. And of course, Voldy returns, so that's a big plus for excitement.

Message Edited by ABI on 08-11-2007 11:23 AM
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Yes, the differences in American and British spelling are rather ridiculous, but they came about after the Revolution when America was trying to distance itself from Britain as much as possible and create a unique identity. The evolution of the English language in general is fascinating, though.
Anyhow, my favorite/favourite book in the series would probably have to be Half-Blood Prince. That one sticks out in my mind because of the plot intricacy. I liked the further development of the characters, the heartwrenching ending, and the information we gained about Voldemort, and I think it was just overall fantastic. I've always loved Goblet of Fire as well, though Order of the Phoenix is up there. I liked Deathly Hallows, but I can't say it was my favorite. It contains my favorite chapter (The Prince's Tale) in the series, but it didn't grip me emotionally as much as it should have and as much as Half-Blood Prince did. They're all wonderful books, though. :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

OOTP is my favourite, hands down. I thought there was a little bit of everything in it-emotional turmoil, Harry's feeling of being shut out of what was going on, a little love interest, tragedy with Sirius' death, great action sequences at the MOM, Harry's abrupt realization that his father was not the plaster saint he had always imagined, some great humour (Fred & George's departure), the icky connection to Voldemorts emotions, the revelation that Dumbledore had flaws, finding out Aunt Petunia had secrets. OOTP kept me on an emotional rollercoaster the whole time.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

Frequent Contributor
acciobrain
0 Kudos

I'd have to say that Deathly Hallows is my favorite, particularly because of the last 200 or so pages of the book. During the early parts of Deathly Hallows I was actually becoming more and more disappointed in it, since I wasn't used to the trio not being in Hogwarts and felt it took something away from the magic of it all. But in the middle I became intrigued, and from Chapter Twenty-Nine on I was absolutely captivated by all the events that were taking place. The series had been building to that final climax for so long, and it was exciting to finally discover what all the past events had been leading up to.

That said, I also really enjoyed the Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince. I WOULD call the Order of the Phoenix my favorite book in the series, were it not for the truly brilliant climax of Deathly Hallows.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

OOTP is my favorite, followed extremely closely by SS. I say I've read the series 8 times, but I've probably read SS about 15. Its so small and I just LOVE how Harry gets away from the Dursleys, winds up rich and travels down the FABULOUS Diagon Alley and gets to the AWESOME Hogwarts. All those surprises, all the wonderful discovering of things by Harry just makes me shake my head in joy. But still, OOTP is my fave.

Mollywobbles wrote:
OOTP is my favourite, hands down. I thought there was a little bit of everything in it-emotional turmoil, Harry's feeling of being shut out of what was going on, a little love interest, tragedy with Sirius' death, great action sequences at the MOM, Harry's abrupt realization that his father was not the plaster saint he had always imagined, some great humour (Fred & George's departure), the icky connection to Voldemorts emotions, the revelation that Dumbledore had flaws, finding out Aunt Petunia had secrets. OOTP kept me on an emotional rollercoaster the whole time.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I have to give props to POA as well. For me this is when the series really started picking up. I and II to me were nice kid's stories (although II means alot more than it used to); I wasn't so engaged in the series until III; I think realizing that there was alot more going on that we don't know about, that the relationships between James and Lupin and Snape and Sirius and Wormtail were so interesting and so realistic, and had such far reaching consequences on what would happen 13 years down the road. And I think POA really had the best plot twist in the series. Scabbers = Pettigrew! Time travel! Good stuff... Maybe POA is my favorite.

Message Edited by phrodo41 on 08-12-2007 05:55 PM
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

It's always been my favorite, too. From the moment Ron went flying after Scabbers and got pulled into the Whomping Willow I was on the edge of my seat. And it just got better from there straight through to the end.

phrodo41 wrote:
I have to give props to POA as well. For me this is when the series really started picking up. I and II to me were nice kid's stories (although II means alot more than it used to); I wasn't so engaged in the series until III; I think realizing that there was alot more going on that we don't know about, that the relationships between James and Lupin and Snape and Sirius and Wormtail were so interesting and so realistic, and had such far reaching consequences on what would happen 13 years down the road. And I think POA really had the best plot twist in the series. Scabbers = Pettigrew! Time travel! Good stuff... Maybe POA is my favorite.

Message Edited by phrodo41 on 08-12-2007 05:55 PM

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

im so thrilled to see your answers! haha!
one question though, how come it seems like nobody likes the second book, chamber of secrets? i really like it BUT its not my favorite.
my favorite book has to be Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
because i happen to really like Sirius Black. he was a symbol of hope and happiness to me, dunno about you guys. .but i can say that i didnt actually grow up with the most lovable set of relatives/parents... and you probably can figure out why i like ron so much.. but anyway what im trying to say is,i love the book because in the end, harry found a parent who will not scold him for breaking rules, etc.. and just when harry thought he'd never have a "parent", here comes sirius.. he may not be harry's real dad, but i thought he was a piece of james and lilly potter,. harry cant've asked for more. i personally think although harry never had the "mother" or the "father" he's always wished for , he has always been inspired by them , and that became harry's main drive. Sirius represented Harry's freedom from the Dursleys, which didnt actually happen. (i was heartbroken when it didnt) Sirius is a good example that even grown ups are allowed to make mistakes and to stand up for what you believed in. i can also relate to sirius black. i like his rebelious side which i think many can relate too , as well.
and also when Dumbledore said , Sirius didnt act like an innocent man.
i think there will always come a day on a life of a person when you thought you had everything figured out and one day, you realize youve been doing everything wrong. life, alas , was never fair. it wasnt meant to be,
but anyway enough of my "sirius drama".
Love the book, love, love it love it.
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I think II is definitely the underdog of the series, and I'm not really sure why. I will say that I've appreciated it much more after what we learned in Half Blood Prince. There's alot of important info that you don't realize is important until 4 years later. It has a creepy, ghost story vibe which is kinda fun. And it is shorter compared to the other books, which means it will be more tightly plotted. I really loved the film adaptation, and IMO Richard Harris is a MUCH better Dumbledore than Gambon.

One thing I really appreciate about COS is the use of Christian symbolism with the phoenix and the basilisk. I didn't pick up on this before until I read John Granger's analysis, but it seems really blatant now.

Message Edited by phrodo41 on 08-13-2007 01:59 PM
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I really liked COS too, it's just, well, if I have to pick a single favourite, it's OOTP. I enjoyed the Gilderoy Lockhart character immensely, he added so much comedy just by being, well, Gilderoy. I especially liked the part where, after it has been discovered that Ginny had been taken into the chamber, all the other teachers get him back for the months of pomposity and vanity, by telling him his moment has come, he can have the job of getting Ginny back! He just cracks me up..as do his portraits, wearing hair nets!

I couldn't agree more about Richard Harris, he just WAS Dumbledore. He projected a much more serene, wise, and venerable image. I haven't seen OOTP the film yet, but Gambon's portrayal in POfA and GOF was kind of twitchy. It must be very difficult for an actor to step into a role which has already become so familiar, kind of like Johnny Depp trying to portray Rhett Butler-it just doesn't work. Oh well, such is life.

phrodo41 wrote:
I think II is definitely the underdog of the series, and I'm not really sure why. I will say that I've appreciated it much more after what we learned in Half Blood Prince. There's alot of important info that you don't realize is important until 4 years later. It has a creepy, ghost story vibe which is kinda fun. And it is shorter compared to the other books, which means it will be more tightly plotted. I really loved the film adaptation, and IMO Richard Harris is a MUCH better Dumbledore than Gambon.

One thing I really appreciate about COS is the use of Christian symbolism with the phoenix and the basilisk. I didn't pick up on this before until I read John Granger's analysis, but it seems really blatant now.

Message Edited by phrodo41 on 08-13-2007 01:59 PM

Contributor
hibachi
0 Kudos

For me the last book is tied with the first for favorites. I mean how can the first book not be a favorite, it started the whole Harry Potter fever for me. Before I read the first book, I hated Harry Potter and despised the fact that people were always talking about it. It never grabbed my attention and I even resented more the fact that it was 300 plus pages because I was still in grade school and I didn't like reading. Then I was introduced to it by this wonderful libarian who I must thank for this and was instantly hooked. The first page of the whole series has always been a constant reminder of why I love to read because it was so good. I even started reading with the flash night on at night because I was so eager to finish it.( which could be why my eye sight is deteriorating) Ever since I read the first book, I've been hooked on the series and for me the last book is also a favorite baceuse it was a great ending to a great series.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

That's a great story Hibachi. I think you should find that wonderful librarian and present him or her with a box of chocolates, flowers, whatever. What a great gift that person gave you.

hibachi wrote:
For me the last book is tied with the first for favorites. I mean how can the first book not be a favorite, it started the whole Harry Potter fever for me. Before I read the first book, I hated Harry Potter and despised the fact that people were always talking about it. It never grabbed my attention and I even resented more the fact that it was 300 plus pages because I was still in grade school and I didn't like reading. Then I was introduced to it by this wonderful libarian who I must thank for this and was instantly hooked. The first page of the whole series has always been a constant reminder of why I love to read because it was so good. I even started reading with the flash night on at night because I was so eager to finish it.( which could be why my eye sight is deteriorating) Ever since I read the first book, I've been hooked on the series and for me the last book is also a favorite baceuse it was a great ending to a great series.

Contributor
pottergrl7
0 Kudos

let me first of all say that all the books are AMAZING!!!! But my order from greatest to least would have to be......

1.Deathly Hallows
2 Order of the...
3.Half Blood Prince
4. Prisoner of Azkaban
5. Goblet o Fire
6. Chamber of Secrets
7. Sorcerors Stone

i just think the higher up in te series the more detailed and better they got i think that J.K did an amazing job on these books and even though i put the the books in order which book i liked the best i love them all!!!!!!! :]
Frequent Contributor
potterfreak2
0 Kudos

My favorite book is definitely Order of the Phoenix. It was such an emotional rollercoaster, and for some reason I really enjoyed that. I loved Fred & George in this book and how they made so much trouble for Umbridge to get back at her for everything. All of the characters really seemed to change in this book. Hermione started rebelling, Ginny finally moving on from Harry, Harry having his first love interest, thinking noone understands him, etc., Neville became much braver, and everyone else that Im to lazy to type. I think the main reason that this book is my favorite though is because it is the one that REALLY got me into Harry Potter, I mean I absolutely loved the series before this one came out and stuff, but I loved it soo much more afterwards.
Contributor
remEMbral
0 Kudos

I think my favorite is Deathly Hallows. Maybe I'm just saying that becasue it's fresh in my mind, but this book brings everything together and really makes you not want to put it down. Once i got around page 600, i kept going right to the end. I think when i have the chance to re-read the series and take it all in my answer might change, but for now, my favorite is DH. (I also really enjoyed OOTP)
Frequent Contributor
stacielynn
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed all of the books but I would have to say that Deathly Hallows is my favorite. I just started re-reading The Sorcerors Stone and plan on taking my time to read the entire series again. Maybe something else will catch my attention and make me choose another book, but I have pretty much made my mind up.
StacieLynn

Why does it have to end?

JKR Please write another book series.