Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
dragon560
0 Kudos

when did you start reading the harry potter

[ Edited ]
well i stared reading the harry potter about two years ago and by book number two i new that  all 7 book were going to be the best.what about you:smileytongue:
Message Edited by dragon560 on 03-27-2009 12:32 AM
Quote-"a book always keeps something of its owner between its pages"

dragons rock~
New User
Vazanella

Re: when did you start reading the harry potter

I think I started the first one in year 10.. so 6 years ago & pretty much read them all as they came out, the last one being last year. Book two was the worste. Ending could have been a little darker, the whole "10 years" later thing killed it
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

Why would you have wanted a darker ending to the series, Vazanella?  Don't you enjoy rainbows at the end of storms?

By the way, welcome to the board!  We aways enjoy fresh perspectives here.

Vazanella wrote:
I think I started the first one in year 10.. so 6 years ago & pretty much read them all as they came out, the last one being last year. Book two was the worste. Ending could have been a little darker, the whole "10 years" later thing killed it

Inspired Contributor
dayrenm

Hi all, great question dragon 560.

I actually saw movie number 2 when it came out. That's when I feel in love the series, I started reading from the first book then and have reread every single book and re watched every movie. Love Live Harry!!!

LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk

Vazanella wrote:

BOOK 7, SPOILER ALERT!

Welcome, Vazanella!  If you're talking about the "Epilogue" at the end of Book 7 and the series, there are several people here who would agree with you that it was kind of strange, or even a let-down.  We talked a lot when Book 7 came out about the 'feel-good' ending and many agreed that since the series began as a children's fantasy, it probably would end up that way, upbeat.  Personally, I always thought Harry had to die for the story to make the most sense leading up to the end.  JKR actually had him do both--die (kind of) and then come back.  Many readers say the ending had to be more uplifting since it was a children's story; others say it follows a hero's journey that needed to end in triumph, etc.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Starlet

I started reading them when I was 11, and Most of the books were out already. My older sister started to read them, so I wanted to read them too. I'm glad I did!
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"I cannot live without books."
Thomas Jefferson
Wordsmith
twilightfann

I started reading Harry Potter by myself in the third grade. I remember I really wanted to read it after the first movie came out when I was in first grade. After watching the movie in theaters, my sister saw how much I loved it, so she actually read the Chamber of Secrets out loud to me. Now I realize how much she must've liked me, since the book was so long !
The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
-The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Correspondent
dragon560
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ConnieK wrote:

Vazanella wrote:

BOOK 7, SPOILER ALERT!

Welcome, Vazanella!  If you're talking about the "Epilogue" at the end of Book 7 and the series, there are several people here who would agree with you that it was kind of strange, or even a let-down.  We talked a lot when Book 7 came out about the 'feel-good' ending and many agreed that since the series began as a children's fantasy, it probably would end up that way, upbeat.  Personally, I always thought Harry had to die for the story to make the most sense leading up to the end.  JKR actually had him do both--die (kind of) and then come back.  Many readers say the ending had to be more uplifting since it was a children's story; others say it follows a hero's journey that needed to end in triumph, etc.

i know this is off subject but i was just on your website and i didn't know you were a author and i think it's really great to be able to talk to one.

nice to meet you,Stuart.:smileytongue:

Message Edited by dragon560 on 04-01-2009 01:10 AM
Quote-"a book always keeps something of its owner between its pages"

dragons rock~
Frequent Contributor
Lalo

When did I start reading Harry Potter... it was just after the 6th book came out... my friend knew I loved the movies and so thought she'd ruin it for me by telling me that Sirius and Dumbledore die... then I couldnt just wait for the movies so I went out and bought all 6 books and read them within a 2 week period... (Lets just say I didnt get much work done at work.. do you know hard it is to hide books 4-6???) And then I was on pins and needles for the 7th and preordered it, and lined up for it and finished it in a day!

So although she ruined it for me I'm glad she got me to read them!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk

dragon560 wrote:

i know this is off subject but i was just on your website and i didn't know you were a author and i think it's really great to be able to talk to one.

nice to meet you,Stuart.:smileytongue:

Nice of you, Stuart!  Nice to meet you, too!  Yes; I've written several books and am currently working on a novel.  Thanks!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
pugfanlv01

Well I just read book 1 this year...I'm jumping on the bandwagon a little late.  I really like it and I'm excited to get started on book 2.  I would like some advice on how to read all the Harry Potter books, surprising none of my friends are into it...at all.  Should I watch the movies, does anyone reccomend a reading them in a different order then they came out?  

New User
pugfanlv01

Do you prefer the books or movies?  How closely did they follow each other?  I just finished book 1 and I am anxious to get started on book 2.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

Oh, lucky you just starting your reading adventure into Harry Potter!

My advice -- read the books in order.  Fully understanding the books requires that you have read the books that have come before.

As for the movies, you'll find a whole other thread on this site titled something like "Is reading the books recommended if you have seen the movies?"  You'll get a good impression there of how the movies differ from the books.  The movies almost tell a different story, so you can't substitute a movie for a book or else you'll get confused.

pugfanlv01 wrote:
Do you prefer the books or movies?  How closely did they follow each other?  I just finished book 1 and I am anxious to get started on book 2.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk

Welcome, pugfan, to the world of Harry Potter! 

I highly recommend reading the books in order and not seeing the film to match a book until you have finished reading that book first.  A lot of readers always prefer books to movies, so you'll probably see that same advice a lot in our book club.  There are, however, folks who have gone to the books to "find out more" after seeing a film or two first.  The books are very visual on their own--I like to tell people to read first and construct their own "film" in their mind's eye.  Then it's fun to see how your own view of the fantasy world matches or differs from the various film directors' views of it.

You have a lot of potential enjoyment ahead of you.  Most HP fans would envy not only that you are new to a series that they enjoy, but that you have the whole story available to you to take in at your convenience.  The series is not yet that old that most of its readers remember having to wait for each installment of books and movies to be published/produced.  Heck, fans are still waiting for the movies of Books 6 & 7!  :smileyhappy:

EnJOY!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
kimpuff

I started reading the books when I was seven, in third grade, in early 2001. Our teacher gave us Scholastic book catalog every month, and had our orders sent to the classroom for us to take home. Goblet of Fire was out by then, but the form offered a collection of the first three books, paperback.

I hadn't heard anything about the books, or known anything about the movies (since the first one came out in November of that year, and it was probably around January or February... Besides, I was seven. I didn't really keep tabs on entertainment news). All I knew was that the summary next to the picture of the three books sounded awfully interesting. So I circled it, along with about 20 other things in the booklet. My mom made me narrow it down to probably three things. I can't imagine what my life would be like now if I had decided I really wanted a flower necklace much more than the books. Haha. Anyway, I distinctly and uselessly remember my mother saying, "Now Kimberly, read them in order, or I won't let you read them at all." Which, okay, I may have been seven, but I wasn't daft.  

I got Goblet of Fire for my 8th birthday (I turned eight the September before the first movie came out... I remember having a Harry Potter themed cake at school), and Order of the Phoenix when I was 10. I was catching up around then, because I have one of the first edition hardbacks. I went to both midnight release parties for Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows.

All of that was much more information than was needed. I can be longwinded sometimes. Sorry. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Starlet

kimpuff wrote:

All of that was much more information than was needed. I can be longwinded sometimes. Sorry. :smileyhappy:

haha you don't have to be sorry! I like reading about how other people got into the Harry Potter books and other's opinions on different things. :smileyhappy:

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"I cannot live without books."
Thomas Jefferson
New User
sunshinevince
0 Kudos

I fell in love with the first harry potter movie and watched it everyday 3 times a day. I borrowed the first book from my school library thinking i was going to read it but i never did. a year later there was a book sale at my school, i broke my leg that semester so i was excused from p.e. i thought "hey now i have time." i saw the 3rd harry potter book in paperback and i bought it. after a week i finished reading it. I went to costco that day and bought all 4 books hardcover. I've been reading and collecting harry potter since then. I was in middle school. 7th grade. i'm in college now and i still love it!

Frequent Contributor
mrsRW
0 Kudos

I read HP when it first came out. Can someone please be a darling and remind me what year that was again??? Ever since I've been a fan! I have reread the series countless times! I actually became obsessed with Ronald Weasley . Just a bit! Dont judge me!!!

Then I met these guys here at the B n N website. LOL! 

~*We'll do it all, everything, on our own. We don't need anything or anyone. I don't quite know how to say how I feel. Those three words are said too much. They're not enough. Let's waste time. I need your grace to remind me to find my own.*~
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

mrsRW wrote:

I read HP when it first came out. Can someone please be a darling and remind me what year that was again??? Ever since I've been a fan! I have reread the series countless times! I actually became obsessed with Ronald Weasley . Just a bit! Dont judge me!!!

Then I met these guys here at the B n N website. LOL! 

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was published in Britain in July, 1997.  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was published in the U.S. in September, 1998. 
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
World_Traveler13
0 Kudos

Harry! I started reading Harry Potter in the third grade, I believe. My father worked at a bookstore, and one night while we were sitting in the car waiting to go home, he handed it back to me, told me it was really good, and ran back inside to get something. I started reading, and spent the entire forty-five minute ride home reading by passing cars' headlights (the entire reason for my awful vision; I forgive him, though) and couldn't put it down. I'm absolutely in love with the series, although I was hugely disappointed with the last one. I felt, reading it, that it was almost as if Jo had given up on the books by then. Of course, I had gotten it opening night and spent the entire next day reading it so I could be done before band camp, so I may have missed something, but still. I plan on re-reading the series again soon; it's been too long!