Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Danaefm
0 Kudos

Re: when did you start reading the harry potter

I started reading the HP books when my son was about 2. That must have been around 2003. My mother-in-law got the 3rd book for my daughter when she got sick and was stuck at home.  I didn't actually read it until after I saw the first movie.

It caught my interest and I avidly read the rest. I even refused to read the one we had, HP PoA; I had to read them in order or what was the point.

I haven't stopped reading them since then.  I am currently re-reading the books before going to watch the HBP at theaters tomorrow.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Danaefm wrote:

I started reading the HP books when my son was about 2. That must have been around 2003. My mother-in-law got the 3rd book for my daughter when she got sick and was stuck at home.  I didn't actually read it until after I saw the first movie.

It caught my interest and I avidly read the rest. I even refused to read the one we had, HP PoA; I had to read them in order or what was the point.

I haven't stopped reading them since then.  I am currently re-reading the books before going to watch the HBP at theaters tomorrow.

Welcome, Danaefm!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
HPgal
0 Kudos

Hmm lets see, my teacher read my whole class the 1st one and I was hooked. Then my sister got me the 2nd book for Christmas and I was basically anti-social b/c i was reading it. 
"i finished our song, our last song."
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

HPgal wrote:
Hmm lets see, my teacher read my whole class the 1st one and I was hooked. Then my sister got me the 2nd book for Christmas and I was basically anti-social b/c i was reading it. 

What grade, HPgal, did your teacher read it to your class?  Just curious!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
0 Kudos

I started reading HP two years ago. I haven't finished the series yet. Still on book 5 :smileywink:
Contributor
HPgal
0 Kudos

4th grade; I started reading them. We basically voted on whether we wanted him to read aloud book 1 or another book. We voted on Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
"i finished our song, our last song."
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Summer between KG and 1st grade :smileywink:. But I didn't finish until the MIDDLE of first grade.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
StarChaserNX
0 Kudos

I forget the exact time, but it was between the releases of books 4 and 5.  Shortly after the first movie had been released in theaters.  I had not yet seen the movie and the library at the college I was going to had the first and third book in their shelves.  I read the first book and liked but decided not to read the third one yet.  A few monts later the second and fourth ones were there, so I reread book one and read books 2, 3, and 4. 

I went back to the library that school year in every free moment I had to reread those books.  Then I bought them when the year ended so I could read them again at home and share them with my family. 

Everyone is normal... until you get to know them.
B&N Bookseller
melissas
0 Kudos

I started reading the books in 2003, a couple of months before Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix came out. I was in charge of the Children's Book Department at the time, and we were going to have a huge release party for it. I figured if was going to be any good at my job, I was going to have to read the books whether I wanted to or not. Needless to say, after I started reading, I wanted to!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

HPgal wrote:
4th grade; I started reading them. We basically voted on whether we wanted him to read aloud book 1 or another book. We voted on Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Thanks, HPgal.  I've wondered how many teachers read them to their classes in school.  I've heard debates on both sides of their doing this. 
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
vismyhero
0 Kudos

I started reading them when my 4th grade teacher read us The Sorcerer's Stone as well. I think it was like 1999.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

I came to the series a little late in the game, in 2003. I was aware of the books when there was all the media hoopla about the release of Goblet of Fire, but didn't read any of the novels or watch any of the movies until leading up to the release of Order of the Phoenix.

By then, I was working at my B&N and we were gearing up for our midnight release party. Some of the staff were dressing up in character, and one of my co-workers suggested I would make a good Hagrid. This meant, of course, a crash course, so I bought a box set of the first four novels in paperback and also picked up the first two films on DVD so I would know what the heck a 'Hagrid' was. My costume ended up being a big hit, and I even answered the phone in character!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

JL_Garner wrote:

I came to the series a little late in the game, in 2003. I was aware of the books when there was all the media hoopla about the release of Goblet of Fire, but didn't read any of the novels or watch any of the movies until leading up to the release of Order of the Phoenix.

By then, I was working at my B&N and we were gearing up for our midnight release party. Some of the staff were dressing up in character, and one of my co-workers suggested I would make a good Hagrid. This meant, of course, a crash course, so I bought a box set of the first four novels in paperback and also picked up the first two films on DVD so I would know what the heck a 'Hagrid' was. My costume ended up being a big hit, and I even answered the phone in character!

This gives us an instant visual of you, you know, JL!  :smileyvery-happy:  We all love "Haggers!" 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]