Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Luthien
0 Kudos

Re: Book to Movie Comparison

agnijay wrote:
I too noticed the eyes, and when I first tried contacts I had a reaction, but that was due to solution allergies...? Anyway, I thought the 4th movie was disappointing,they didn't show any of the Weasly brothers (Bill, Charlie, Percy) and they left out Winky! Also, they didn't put in when Barty Crouch went mad. Those I thought were the biggest parts that were missing. And also, the book says Parvati and Padma are the two "prettiest girls in school." If that is true, then these characters did not live up to expectations. For me, the fourth movie was most disappointing.

I agree--I just watched it recently, and I felt like they didn't do a single scene correctly. What annoyed me the most was how they got rid of the big shock that Barty Crouch, Jr. was still alive. In the book, we're told he's dead, and we're being led to believe he may have been innocent, so it's a big surprise when he turns up to be alive, and Voldemort's most loyal follower. The movie, instead, shows him in the very first scene, and changes the trial scene so that there is no doubt that he was a Death Eater, and also a bit insane.
Frequent Contributor
halfscripts
0 Kudos

I think I read somewhere that they tried to give him green eyes by having him wear green contacts but he had a reaction to them and couldn't wear them. So they decided to side-step the green eye problem.

Sure, but even if he couldn't wear the contacts couldn't they just alter his eyes themselves in editing? Maybe it was too insignificant a detail at the time, who knows. But when the 7th movie comes out I can't imagine why they would continue leaving out the eye issue, unless they cut out that part of the plot altogether and that would be rather silly, wouldn'it? Hindsight is 20/20...

Naturally now that I'm thinking about it I can't think of any other inconsistancies right off the top of my head, but I'm sure I'll add to this later :smileyhappy:

Oh, how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying.
Proud B&N Musicseller since 2005!
myspace.com/railroadsounds
Frequent Contributor
Ladybuglver8115
0 Kudos

My biggest gripe is with the third movie. They don't mention the Quiddich cup, Harry gets his Firebolt at the end, and the thing that bothers me the very most is the fact that Sirius is with Harry when the dementors attack and he first produces his patronus. Sirius would have gotten the kiss immediatly. I thought they did a pretty good job of the fourth one especially compared to the slaughtering of the third one and the amount of material there is to cover although I am not going to pretend I wasn't disappointed that SPEW wasn't included in it.
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

Ladybuglver8115 wrote:
My biggest gripe is with the third movie. They don't mention the Quiddich cup, Harry gets his Firebolt at the end, and the thing that bothers me the very most is the fact that Sirius is with Harry when the dementors attack and he first produces his patronus. Sirius would have gotten the kiss immediatly. I thought they did a pretty good job of the fourth one especially compared to the slaughtering of the third one and the amount of material there is to cover although I am not going to pretend I wasn't disappointed that SPEW wasn't included in it.

Warning..Includes spoilers for movie five.
Well if they slaughtered the third (which is my favorite book) the mutilated the fifth.
There was so much missing and half the stuff they had wasn't even in the book.
The used the levicourpus spell which wasn't known til book six.
Nevile couldn't see threshals.
They majorly foreshadowed Ginny/Harry and Ron/Hermione.(which I'm okay with)
Urrggggggggggggggggggggg........Does any one else get the way I feel?????
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

Again I agree with midnite... for the OotP comparisons... I realized that Neville wouldn't see Threstrals when I saw the trailer piece showing it... Luna using Levis Corpus was like... WTBH? The forshadowing of relationships was cool with me too, I mean she's been hinting at Ron/Hermione forever.

Other gripes... the out of Orderness- meaning when they showed certian parts of the movie. Example: Harry learns of the Order early but doesn't learn about the house till Christmas... Bellatrix casts Rictusempra- the tickling charm... you mean the tickling charm caused Sirius's abrupt fall??? If you say so...
I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Frequent Contributor
Mrs_Hermione_Weasley
0 Kudos

I just got home from the midnight showing and I don't know...I was not happy with the length of the film it should have been at least 45 min longer, and from the begining of the film they started leaving a bunch of stuff out.

It was to choppy for me, the way they jumped around I know what was supposed to be going on but my husband who hasn't read the books didnt follow some of it

The Umbridge questioning the teacher bit was cut way down and there was realy no interaction with her and McGonigall and in the book they were always butting heads

And it was Cho's friend that went to Umbriged not cho

Lastly the whole fight seen at the end I thougt should have been more, they just started out in the prophacy room and skipped getting there, then they all got seperated and went to different parts of the ministry and there should have been more between Bellatrix and Sirus before she killed him

The sad thing is I was in line at 12 noon and stood for twelve hours and I don't know that it was worth it... and that is sad beacuse I was very much looking forward to a great movie and I thought is was Okay at best...

Any thoughts
Mrs. Hermione Weasley
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

AS it seems so far, you're not the only one... yes it had some good parts, and it was defibtely funny, but choppy, is defintely the best way to describe it... usually in between scenes you have sweeping shots of the grounds to show season changes, there's a moment to breathe in betweem scenes... that was defintely missing. Terrible job editing it together... and it makes me wonder what they cut... supposedly it was at least 15 minutes worth of stuff...

12 hours eh?? I got there just in time, and actually cursed (out loud) after like the sixth preview started to show because it was taking entirely too long to get to the movie (theer was still like another five previews, I wasn't the only curser). Was it worth 12 hours of waiting... defintely not, was it worth just getting there in time yeah... I still wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Mrs_Hermione_Weasley wrote:
I just got home from the midnight showing and I don't know...I was not happy with the length of the film it should have been at least 45 min longer, and from the begining of the film they started leaving a bunch of stuff out.

It was to choppy for me, the way they jumped around I know what was supposed to be going on but my husband who hasn't read the books didnt follow some of it

The Umbridge questioning the teacher bit was cut way down and there was realy no interaction with her and McGonigall and in the book they were always butting heads

And it was Cho's friend that went to Umbriged not cho

Lastly the whole fight seen at the end I thougt should have been more, they just started out in the prophacy room and skipped getting there, then they all got seperated and went to different parts of the ministry and there should have been more between Bellatrix and Sirus before she killed him

The sad thing is I was in line at 12 noon and stood for twelve hours and I don't know that it was worth it... and that is sad beacuse I was very much looking forward to a great movie and I thought is was Okay at best...

Any thoughts

Frequent Contributor
Mrs_Hermione_Weasley
0 Kudos

No it was not worth the 12 hr wait, which is sad b/c I was so hopeing it would be. I still would not have missed it either. I called the theatre early yeasterday morning to ask about their porcedure for such an event and what time to be there, Cuse I thought a couple hours before the movie started would be a good time to get there.

At 10am they said people were already lined up and if the line go to big we would have to wait outside, it was 102 yesterday. So I got went down at 12noon so I could wait inside the building cuse this big line was already starting. When I got there the big line was 3 people.

If the next movie is like this one, I stil want to see it opening night, but I will risk standing outside. hahahaha (The half blood Prince is scheduled to hit movie theatres in Nov. 2008)
Mrs. Hermione Weasley
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

Well if the sixth is anything like the fifth they'll probably mess that tp to ......btw if they take quiddtch out of that movie to....I am not going!!! That was one of the central focuses.
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

midnite_writer wrote:
Well if the sixth is anything like the fifth they'll probably mess that tp to ......btw if they take quiddtch out of that movie to....I am not going!!! That was one of the central focuses.

Did you read the same book I did? Quidditch wasn't central to the story in the sixth book at all. Harry didn't even want to be there -- he would have preferred to follow Malfoy...

I really doubt that we'll see Quidditch in the 6th movie... but we should at least have a scene where Dumbledore is flying a broomstick... will that do? :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

I was looking forward to some Quidditch scenes in this one...specifically "Weasley is Our King".
:]

Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
Contributor
HogwartsBound1
0 Kudos

I wish there had been more about Kreacher also. Not only did I think he was potentially vital to the storyline (telling Harry that Sirius isn't there when Harry asks while in Umbridge's fire), but I also thought it was hilarious in the book when he would mutter under his breath! You know, things like: (paraphrasing)
"The dirty Mudblood is talking to Kreacher. Kreacher will pretend he doesn't hear her."
Maybe I was reading it wrong, but the movie just showed him as creepy while when I read I thought he was creepy but also funny in a pathetic sort of way.
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Okay, okay, you caught me. I know quidditch was not nearly one of the central focuses. It just kind of connected the couples which I absolutely loved...
To me the most important part was the building relationship between Harry And Dumbledore with the trips in the pensives and searching for horucruxes.

Okay I guess the Dumbledore broomstick scene should do. :smileysad:

But If they cut out quidditch how are they work out the Ginny running into Harry's arms scene, which if you don't remember happened after the quiddtch game Harry could not play in because of detention with Snape.

Message Edited by midnite_writer on 07-11-2007 10:41 PM
*-*-*-*-*-*-
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

Are the Luna commentary scenes in HbP or OotP?
Either way that's what I am/was looking forward to seeing.
*-*-*-*-*-*-
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

midnite_writer wrote:
Okay, okay, you caught me. I know quidditch was not nearly one of the central focuses. It just kind of connected the couples which I absolutely loved...
To me the most important part was the building relationship between Harry And Dumbledore with the trips in the pensives and searching for horucruxes.

But If they cut out quidditch how are they work out the Ginny running into Harry's arms scene, which if you don't remember happened after the quiddtch game Harry could not play in because of detention with Snape.

They don't need to show the Quidditch game for that. Harry was in detention the whole time. Even we didn't get to see that game as readers...
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

midnite_writer wrote:

They don't need to show the Quidditch game for that. Harry was in detention the whole time. Even we didn't get to see that game as readers...

You are right, now please excuse me while I go read the series again I hate being wrong about Something I love.
*-*-*-*-*-*-
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

midnite_writer wrote:

Psychee wrote:

midnite_writer wrote:

You are right, now please excuse me while I go read the series again I hate being wrong about Something I love.

Please don't feel bad... there are so many details in these books that it really is quite difficult keeping them all straight no matter how much you love the books! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

If it makes anyone feelt better, Steve Kloves who was the Screenwrite for the firat four films didn't do this one... which is probably why it lost somethings along the way.

So for HBP (my favorite in the series) Director David Yates will get to work with the proper Screenwriter because Steve will be back. He was working on soemthing else and couldn't do both. He's also doing Deathly Hallows, hope he hasn't lost his touch...
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

Proper-T wrote:
If it makes anyone feelt better, Steve Kloves who was the Screenwrite for the firat four films didn't do this one... which is probably why it lost somethings along the way.

So for HBP (my favorite in the series) Director David Yates will get to work with the proper Screenwriter because Steve will be back. He was working on soemthing else and couldn't do both. He's also doing Deathly Hallows, hope he hasn't lost his touch...

Hey that does help!!!! (even if I didn't like movie 3 too much)
*-*-*-*-*-*-
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

I didn't like PoA that much either, but that was more direction than scriptwriting... the way it's written and performed are sadly two different things, and the Director controls that Performance... bad Alphonso.

midnite_writer wrote:

Proper-T wrote:

Hey that does help!!!! (even if I didn't like movie 3 too much)

Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 261 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: