Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Luthien
0 Kudos

Re: Book to Movie Comparison

Proper-T wrote:
Again I agree with midnite... for the OotP comparisons... I realized that Neville wouldn't see Threstrals when I saw the trailer piece showing it... Luna using Levis Corpus was like... WTBH? The forshadowing of relationships was cool with me too, I mean she's been hinting at Ron/Hermione forever.

Other gripes... the out of Orderness- meaning when they showed certian parts of the movie. Example: Harry learns of the Order early but doesn't learn about the house till Christmas... Bellatrix casts Rictusempra- the tickling charm... you mean the tickling charm caused Sirius's abrupt fall??? If you say so...

A lot of people have been saying it was Avada Kedavra she hit Sirius with. I actually didn't hear her say anything (I must've momentarily spaced out), but my mom said that's what it was.
Frequent Contributor
iheartbooks
0 Kudos

they skipped MANY parts in the movie for the order of the phoenix...but i dont blame them, could you imagine how long the movie would be if they didnt? im not 100% sure but doesnt harry receive the portrait (of all the people in the order of the phoenix) while he is cleaning the headquaters for the OotP? not in the train station? and what happened to him thinking that sirius could possibly be a ghost and therefore searching, unsuccesfully, for him.

does anyone remember when hermione forms an organization against house elves or something like that? well can anyone tell me what the initials for it were and what book was that in? 6?
your heart is my pinata
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

it was S.P.E.W.
The Society of the Promotion of Elvish Welfare.
It was started in Goblet of Fire.
And yes, it was completely left out of the movies.

iheartbooks wrote:
they skipped MANY parts in the movie for the order of the phoenix...but i dont blame them, could you imagine how long the movie would be if they didnt? im not 100% sure but doesnt harry receive the portrait (of all the people in the order of the phoenix) while he is cleaning the headquaters for the OotP? not in the train station? and what happened to him thinking that sirius could possibly be a ghost and therefore searching, unsuccesfully, for him.

does anyone remember when hermione forms an organization against house elves or something like that? well can anyone tell me what the initials for it were and what book was that in? 6?

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
Luthien
0 Kudos

iheartbooks wrote:

Yeah, in the book he gets the portrait at the house, and it's Moody who shows it to him. Apparently they decided to leave the ghost bit out. *shrugs*
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

Luthien wrote:

Proper-T wrote:
Again I agree with midnite... for the OotP comparisons... I realized that Neville wouldn't see Threstrals when I saw the trailer piece showing it... Luna using Levis Corpus was like... WTBH? The forshadowing of relationships was cool with me too, I mean she's been hinting at Ron/Hermione forever.

Other gripes... the out of Orderness- meaning when they showed certian parts of the movie. Example: Harry learns of the Order early but doesn't learn about the house till Christmas... Bellatrix casts Rictusempra- the tickling charm... you mean the tickling charm caused Sirius's abrupt fall??? If you say so...

A lot of people have been saying it was Avada Kedavra she hit Sirius with. I actually didn't hear her say anything (I must've momentarily spaced out), but my mom said that's what it was.

It was.

-----------
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

ShadowCougar wrote:
it was S.P.E.W.
The Society of the Promotion of Elvish Welfare.
It was started in Goblet of Fire.
And yes, it was completely left out of the movies.

iheartbooks wrote:

I loved S.P.E.W.
Even if Hermione couldn't make hats if her life depended on it, but hey catchy name...:smileywink:

---------------
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I know I'm not the only one to notice this, but I thought it might bear repeating now that we're within days of the last book release and speculation is still wild and rampant about major plot points to come...

Another way this book series has been unusual is that movies have been made of some of the books before the series is even all written. So...

...The films inform the end. The major plot has been carried throughout all of the movies--what has been edited out from the books going to the films has been "unnecessary" material to the main plot. So, that's telling. If you really want to play the speculation game about how all of this is going to end, study the movies in conjunction with the books. I think the OP movie is particularly telling this way--it's adapted from the longest book, but it's the shortest movie! Fewer red herrings. Also, the actors' portrayals need to "fit" together so that the series of _movies_ will make sense when they are done. I think Snape's loyalty to the trio is evident in Alan Rickman's performance--Rickman, of all of the actors, I'm guessing, has known all along the eventual outcome of his character. Also, Harry's choice for mercy over killing is brought out in the movie. The attention paid to other characters (such as Neville) is also important, and so is the emphasis paid to certain direct quotes from the books. Some of them stick out like neon signs pointing to plot points. These choices are not made by accident.

The movies have fewer details to throw off the viewer than the books do for readers. It's a necessity of the form. So, serious sleuthing for the main plot in how this is all going to end Friday night would benefit from a close look at the movies, especially tracing threads from one to the other of the existing 5. On the other hand, if you'd rather not have a lot of the plot figured out, then don't let your mind wander in this direction! :smileywink:

~ConnieK, 4 days to go

Message Edited by ConnieK on 07-16-2007 09:08 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 260 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: