Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Leprechaun72
0 Kudos

Re: Cabbages and Smoke

The green smoke could not have been Voldemort since Quirrel had gone off for a year prior to Harry going to Gringott's. I am not sure about the Green smoke other than green is the color of money.
New User
wisthrop
0 Kudos

Wrighty said:
I also like how Hagrid empties his pockets looking for his key and he empties out a handful of moldy dog biscuits. (middle of page 73)

I think this is a sure sign that Hagrid already had Fluffy in place and ready for the stone. Why else would he be carrying around dog biscuits?
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

wisthrop wrote:

Wrighty said:
I also like how Hagrid empties his pockets looking for his key and he empties out a handful of moldy dog biscuits. (middle of page 73)

I think this is a sure sign that Hagrid already had Fluffy in place and ready for the stone. Why else would he be carrying around dog biscuits?

Brilliant wisthrop. I never thought about Hagrid's pocket and that they might contain some clues not only for here but in the future. On page 52 he has slug pellets in his pockets. I'm going to move this to our "Clues to the end of the series found in SS" thread. This slug pellets don't mean anything right now but they come up again n CoS so we can pick up this little clue there.

Nadine
Frequent Contributor
dedaviswright
0 Kudos

wisthrop wrote:

Wrighty said:

Don't forget Fang...he is a dog too.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Hagrid's pockets

dedaviswright wrote:

wisthrop wrote:

Wrighty said:

Don't forget Fang...he is a dog too.

Good job all! I've been waiting for you to pick up on the subtle hints I left you about the pockets and you've figured it out. Such brillant deductions! I have been placed here by Barnes & Noble to give you clues to solve all of the mysteries in all 7 books. No wait...I was placed here by J.K. Rowling, yeah that's it. I mean...I am J.K. Rowling and the secrets of the series are... :smileysurprised: oh sorry, I got a little carried away with all of the excitement this weekend. I'm just a lowly fan who loves hearing everyone's great ideas. Please forgive me for getting carried away. :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

the whole cabbages thing, i think that ppl r reading to much into cabbages. ok think about it, the book is based in england, or the uk whatever its called, well i know irish ppl eat corned beef and CABBAGE. and the school has cabbages on the grounds. maybe ppl and places smell like cabbages becase ppl over there eat cabbage alot??? i dont mean to offend anybody abbout their ideas they are good but i think cabbages are cabbages.

the smoke?? i always thot it was there just because, not like it had a reason for being there. like if it was because nobody had been in his vault since his parents last opened it probably. maybe it has smoke instead of dust??
Julie
Frequent Contributor
eve05
0 Kudos

Wow. Green smoke. It must have some significance, though I certainly don't see it. But I'll add it to my list of unanswered questions.
I wonder if it is somehow a subtle link/hint to the green eyes in Harry's family.

There is another incident when green smoke is mentioned. It is after Mr Weasley is attacked by the snake in MOM's basement. Dumbledore takes out a fragile silver instrument in his office (OofP22). A stream of green smoke issues from it and a snake appears and splits itself instantly into two snakes. Dumbledores comment: "Naturally, naturally... but in essence divided". It is also illustration for the chapter.
Green has to be a very important clue.

Although Slytherin's colors are green, Voldemort's eyes are red and getting redder as he sinks deeper into crime.
Contributor
potterd
0 Kudos

Leprechaun72 wrote:
The green smoke could not have been Voldemort since Quirrel had gone off for a year prior to Harry going to Gringott's. I am not sure about the Green smoke other than green is the color of money.

I think the color green might lead to Voldemort. The stone which was in the vault led Harry directly to Voldemort, Slytherin's colors are green (Voldemort's house), Lilly's eyes were green (she sacrificed herself for Harry causing the link to Voldemort in the first place), The ink in the first letter from Hogwarts was green (if Harry had never attended Hogwarts, he might never have come in contact with Voldemort again). It seems that everything green either directly leads, or does something to lead Harry to Voldemort. Just a thought.

-Diane
Contributor
aluna
0 Kudos

jftapia88 wrote:
the whole cabbages thing, i think that ppl r reading to much into cabbages. ok think about it, the book is based in england, or the uk whatever its called, well i know irish ppl eat corned beef and CABBAGE. and the school has cabbages on the grounds. maybe ppl and places smell like cabbages becase ppl over there eat cabbage alot??? i dont mean to offend anybody abbout their ideas they are good but i think cabbages are cabbages.

the smoke?? i always thot it was there just because, not like it had a reason for being there. like if it was because nobody had been in his vault since his parents last opened it probably. maybe it has smoke instead of dust??

The cabbage could just be cabbage and the smoke could just be smoke; however, I have learned over the years reading these books that most of the times when she mentions things more than one time it has some significance. It could be something small, something just to catch our attention, but they do seem to come up a lot. I really do think the green smoke is related to Voldemort, and as for the cabbage...well...I am not really sure. But I do think we should keep our eyes open in the next books and especially the last ones, we can review our lists and then maybe when we add them up from all 7 books we can come to a more concrete answer.

Ashley
Contributor
redwing480
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Can't remember if I sent this before, but In my re-reading of the series lately, I noticed something. Might be nothing. In SS ( I think), Snape calls Neville 'Idiot Boy' and when Harry goes to put his wand away in OOTP, Mrs Figg calls Harry 'Idiot boy' Figg isnt Snape transfigured or something is she? We only see her in the summer and Snape's a bit free in the summer...

Armando_Penblade wrote:
In my time as a Harry Potter fan, I've seen plenty of crazy theories and interesting analyses of the books put forth, from Voldemort's soul being in Harry (Pre-HBP) to long fingers aiding magical prowess. But two interesting things that appear in book one have never been explored that I'd like to read your thoughts on.

The first amongst these is the green smoke filling the Potter vault at Gringott's when it is first opened by Harry and Hagrid. According to the book, when they first open the vault, a cloud of green smoke pours out, obscuring their view. This didn't happen when Hagrid retrieved the Sorceror/Philosopher's stone from another vault, and in the next book, when the Weasley's empty their own vault, no similar smoke appears.

What is this smoke, and why was it in the Potter's vault at all? Is it just a neat piece of description by Rowling, or a hint at something more sinister?

The second issue is cabbages, which appear to be a long-running descriptor in the series. In SS, cabbages appear twice in magical settings: Ms. Figg's home smells of cabbages (We find out later she is a Squib), while the apothecary in Diagon Alley smells of overcooked cabbages. The vegetable appears twice more in CoS, once more in magical settings, and in GoF, the Weasley's tent is said to smell like Ms. Figg's home.

Why exactly do wizards smell like cabbage?

Perhaps, it is just a popular food among wizards, just as certain cultural groups tend to favor certain foods.
Frequent Contributor
lacalladita
0 Kudos

Maybe it's just me and I am reading too much into things but every time the color green is used as just "green", it is referring to something negative. When it is used as "emerald green" or "bright", it is referring to something positive. (Page numbers are from the paperback edition in SS)

Stay with me on this, the numbers add up. :smileyhappy:

Negatives:
1. When he tried to remember what happen to his parents, all he gets is a green light, burning pain on his forehead, and a cackling laugh (pg. 29, 56, 215).

2. The green smoke from Harry's vault was owned by his parents who were killed by Voldemort (pg. 75).

3. Hagrid was looking green because he was sick from the cart ride in Gringotts (pg. 75).

4. When Neville screwed up his potion there was an acid green smoke (pg. 139).

5. The bite mark Norbert gave Ron turned to "a nasty shade of green" (pg. 238).

Positives:
1. The envelope from Hogwarts was written in emerald green ink (pg. 34).

2. McGonagall was referred to as "a tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes" (pg. 113).

3. The sweater Harry got from Mrs. Weasley for Christmas was emerald-green (pg. 200).

4. The color of Harry's eyes is just like his mother and bright green (pg. 20, 47).
Users Online
Currently online: 68 members 730 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: