Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
dedaviswright
0 Kudos

Does Hagrid know the reasons why Dumbledore trusts Snape?

In the SS, Hagrid defends Snape on several occasions. He tells the kids that "yer meddlin' in things that don'concern yeh." Do you think Hagrid knows the real truth about Snape?
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Character Information Reliability

dedaviswright wrote:
In the SS, Hagrid defends Snape on several occasions. He tells the kids that "yer meddlin' in things that don'concern yeh." Do you think Hagrid knows the real truth about Snape?

Actually, I think so. On rereading SS I am definitely getting the feeling that Hagrid knows a lot more than we think he does. He seems to be trusted by Dumbledore (gets all the important jobs). He may bungle things a bit but on a close reading of his dialog, he seems to be right most of the time. He doesn't seem to question Snapes trustworthiness at all.

I've been trying to look at the characters in SS to determine who might have the most reliable information in their dialog and Hagrid is at the top of the list. Hermione comes in a close second. She seems to be right most of the time even though she doesn't have any insider information. Her deductive reasoning is good.

Harry tends to be more speculative and his emotions influence his judgment too much but he does seem to have good instincts. He ends up kind of being right for the wrong reasons.

Ron seem to be often off base. He usually agrees with Harry and when he gives independent advice it seems to be totally wrong.

Looking at character scorecards a we go along may give us a perspective on how to judge the information JKR is giving us through the characters.

Nadine
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Re: Does Hagrid know the reasons why Dumbledore trusts Snape?

I like the idea of scorecards!

It's interesting that Hagrid is presented as being so big and clumsy and warmhearted and bumbling--but that's a great way of disguising the fact that he's perfectly well informed and fairly astute.

Rachel
Contributor
mercy
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if Hagrid is just playing the role of a bumbling, can't keep a secret on purpose, opposite of suave character. To me he's the Barnie Fife character (remember the old Andy Griffin show). I like to believe that he's the genuine article, with all his endearing faults, and not playing a role. His intentions are so honorable and he is so good-hearted, that the fates watch out for him and he ends up doing the right things in spite of himself. Hence, he lets just the right info slip to Harry, Hermoine, and Ron for them to begin and complete their quest/trial. Maybe Hagrid has a protection spell over him too!

If anyone is playing a part, I vote for Snape. All the aggression and bad humor he channels must mean he's hiding something. Maybe dissapointment, maybe guilt. He probably wasn't always that way. Assuming Hagrid's been at Hogworts a long while, at least since Snape first came, then Hagrid would have know Snape and would have seen him evolve over the years. I think Hagrid defends Snape because he really knows him and has known him for a long while.
Nadine
0 Kudos

Mercy Wrote:
I'm not sure if Hagrid is just playing the role of a bumbling, can't keep a secret on purpose, opposite of suave character. To me he's the Barnie Fife character (remember the old Andy Griffin show). I like to believe that he's the genuine article, with all his endearing faults, and not playing a role. His intentions are so honorable and he is so good-hearted, that the fates watch out for him and he ends up doing the right things in spite of himself. Hence, he lets just the right info slip to Harry, Hermoine, and Ron for them to begin and complete their quest/trial. Maybe Hagrid has a protection spell over him too!
----------------------------------

Another great thought! My feeling in SS is that Dumbledore is really guiding Harry through an education. He made sure Harry got the invisibility cloak, discovered the mirror of Erised, and, yes, went through the Trap Door to solve seven tasks that seemed particularly designed for the trio. Suddenly, your post makes a lot of sense. Hagrid provided the crucial information so Harry could move along and make his discoveries. The more I think about Hagrid the more I think he is smarter than he seems and is deliberately appearing as someone who accidentally lets things slip.

Nadine
Frequent Contributor
Cammy
0 Kudos

dedaviswright wrote:

Excellent question. I think Hagrid does know more than he seems to and is fairly well informed. However, I'm not sure I'm in with the thought that he knows a lot more about Dumbledore's exact reasons for trusting Snape. The impression I got from the books was that Hagrid is "Dumbledore's man through and through" and that since Dumbledore supports Snape, Hagrid supports Snape. No questions asked.

It would be very interesting though if Hagrid turns out to be more of a sleeper character. Certainly would have fooled me!
~~Never mess with a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!~~
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Hagrid not so bumbling?

Nadine wrote:
Mercy Wrote:
----------------------------------

Another great thought! My feeling in SS is that Dumbledore is really guiding Harry through an education. He made sure Harry got the invisibility cloak, discovered the mirror of Erised, and, yes, went through the Trap Door to solve seven tasks that seemed particularly designed for the trio. Suddenly, your post makes a lot of sense. Hagrid provided the crucial information so Harry could move along and make his discoveries. The more I think about Hagrid the more I think he is smarter than he seems and is deliberately appearing as someone who accidentally lets things slip.

Nadine

As we've been discussing Hagrid on these boards I've gotten the impression that he isn't as absentminded as he seems. He often lets things slip but they seem to supply people with crucial information that they need in some way. I am definitely going to pay more attention to him as I reread the series this time.
Frequent Contributor
zandyr83
0 Kudos

Re: Hagrid not so bumbling?

I would agree that Hagrid is not a absentminded as we are led to believe, but then how do you explain getting the dragon and letting the information about the SS slip to the stranger in the bar in the first book? Later in one of the books H winds up in Knockturn alley (I think that is the name of the street with the dark arts shops). Why was Hagrid really there?? Was there more to the story than what he tells H? Wouldn't it be a shame if Hagrid is a DE????!!! Perhaps he was crying when he handed H to the Dursleys initally because the bby survived? Remember- "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."(Thanks GODFATHER) Could Hagrid be playing the role of the sleeping character?
Zandyr
Nadine
0 Kudos

zandyr83 wrote:
I would agree that Hagrid is not a absentminded as we are led to believe, but then how do you explain getting the dragon and letting the information about the SS slip to the stranger in the bar in the first book? Later in one of the books H winds up in Knockturn alley (I think that is the name of the street with the dark arts shops). Why was Hagrid really there?? Was there more to the story than what he tells H? Wouldn't it be a shame if Hagrid is a DE????!!! Perhaps he was crying when he handed H to the Dursleys initally because the bby survived? Remember- "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."(Thanks GODFATHER) Could Hagrid be playing the role of the sleeping character?

I don't think Hagrid is on Voldemort's side but I do think he knows more (and is smarter) than he lets on. Hagrid does have a soft spot for unusual animals. Actually, I think this will be of great importance in the end (I see Norbert playing an important role).

***Minor Spoiler***As the series goes on, Hagrid's animals are useful to Harry.***end Spoiler***

I'm not sure of the "slip" to the stranger in the bar in SS. It may have been deliberate for "Dumbledore's Plan. It may never have happened but was a plausible story "slipped" for Harry's benefit, also part of Dumbledore's plan. Hagrid can "make up stories" when he has to.

***Minor Spoiler***I just read a situation where he did to Deloris Umbridge in OotP last night. Hagrid is also very emotional.***End Spoiler***

We are told time and time again and see situations where Hagrid is given "the important jobs" by Dumbledore. His visit to Knockturn Alley may have been for Dumbledore. I think you are right, though. There is a lot more to Hagrid than is initially apparent.

Nadine
Contributor
aluna
0 Kudos

Hagrid always seems to be in the right place at the right time to let things "slip," and most of the time it is information that the characters need for some reason or another. Of course when he let the info about what makes Fluffy sleep in SS, that was not such a good slip up (but of course that was in a pub and he was drinking...) but I agree that I don't think he is as absentminded as they make him seem (the movies make him seem much more that way than the books). The information that Hagrid lets slip is importnat to the characters, but he never lets the whole secret slip out usually. Just bits and pieces, and then with other information the whole secret can be put together.

As for Hagrid knowing about Snape, I am not so sure. I think maybe he knows part of it, but I think if he really knew the whole reason I just think his demenor when it came to Snape (epecially concerning Snape and Harry)would be much different. Hargird loves Harry, and I think he would be more cold towards Snape if he knew the whole truth.
New User
ALBEMARLE
0 Kudos

Would either Dumbledore or Hagrid trust Snape if they knew that he repeatedly causes Harry's scar to react to Snape with extreme pain ?

ALBEMARLE
Nadine
0 Kudos

ALBEMARLE wrote:
Would either Dumbledore or Hagrid trust Snape if they knew that he repeatedly causes Harry's scar to react to Snape with extreme pain ?

ALBEMARLE

Actually, I don't recall when Harry's scar reacted to Snape. The only time I remember was a coincidence that Snape was present--Harry's scar was reacting to Voldemort who was embedded in Quirrell's head and Quirrell happened to be standing next to Snape. This was in SS at the welcome banquet.

Nadine
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 320 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: