Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Half-Blood Prince, Chapters 1 - 7

Unclear if this is a clue to something or not. It could be that JKR is completing the "lion" image of Scrimgeour here, and the yellowish eyes are her way of saying that they look feline.

However, I'm holding that in my head as a possible clue that he might be involved with vampires -- as a victim, perhaps? Because yellowish eyes can be a symptom of anemia. I would not have thought of this, though, if Luna hadn't suggested it.
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Half-Blood Prince, Chapters 1 - 7

Yellow irises point to lion; yellow sclera point to vampire victim.



Psychee wrote:
Unclear if this is a clue to something or not. It could be that JKR is completing the "lion" image of Scrimgeour here, and the yellowish eyes are her way of saying that they look feline.

However, I'm holding that in my head as a possible clue that he might be involved with vampires -- as a victim, perhaps? Because yellowish eyes can be a symptom of anemia. I would not have thought of this, though, if Luna hadn't suggested it.


Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Half-Blood Prince, Chapters 1 - 7



dcsbelle wrote:
Yellow irises point to lion; yellow sclera point to vampire victim.



Psychee wrote:
Unclear if this is a clue to something or not. It could be that JKR is completing the "lion" image of Scrimgeour here, and the yellowish eyes are her way of saying that they look feline.

However, I'm holding that in my head as a possible clue that he might be involved with vampires -- as a victim, perhaps? Because yellowish eyes can be a symptom of anemia. I would not have thought of this, though, if Luna hadn't suggested it.







Good thought... but we don't know what part of the eye is yellowish, do we? So we are left with those two options...
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
Posts: 474
Registered: ‎02-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Half-Blood Prince, Chapters 1 - 7



dcsbelle wrote:
Yellow irises point to lion; yellow sclera point to vampire victim.



Psychee wrote:
Unclear if this is a clue to something or not. It could be that JKR is completing the "lion" image of Scrimgeour here, and the yellowish eyes are her way of saying that they look feline.

However, I'm holding that in my head as a possible clue that he might be involved with vampires -- as a victim, perhaps? Because yellowish eyes can be a symptom of anemia. I would not have thought of this, though, if Luna hadn't suggested it.





sclera is the whites right??
Julie
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
Posts: 375
Registered: ‎05-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Half-Blood Prince, Chapters 1 - 7


osito2626 wrote:
As for Petunia, What do we covet? We covet what we see everyday. It is not far out of range that Petunia would have been extremely jealous of Lily and her 'specialness.' Just as the middle child feels as though something is lost once a younger sibling is born, Petunia was easily overlooked and not viewed as special once Lilly came along. Also, explains a bit of the psychology behind only having one child... Not wanting him to receive the competitive distance she probably felt with Lily. Also, examine her life a bit. They don't appear to be poor by any standard, but there is no since of adventure or real happiness... Where as Lily would have the best of everything Petunia has no power and no independence. She has no ability to create anything for himself no career just taking care of her family. Not that there is anything wrong with that at all its just appears that she is still wanting more. Lily has everything that Petunia did not which start seemingly with their parents love and attention.

Just as mentioned in one of the other threads as a plausible reason for Snape hating Harry, (Snape was in love with Lilly and Harry remained a constant reminder of the betrayal he felt from LV, for killing her, and James for taking her away from him,) Petunia criticalness and cruelty of Harry her own flesh and blood, seems heightened and hardwired into her psyche. The sorta of hatred that can only be breed in childhood.

I think the flushness was breed out of the fact that she came to the realization that this was what she was doing. Hating a child for the sins of her parents not Lily and defiantly not the child. (the years of therapy it takes for here to realize that part of it was that but for the most part she can overcome that and move on she will never see,)And now the opportunity to be decent has passed. That the last living part of her and her connection to her family will be gone probably forever. And that moment perhaps she realized the gratuitousness of her behavior all of these yeas.




Very well stated! I heard people discussing that maybe Petunia and Lily's parents may have been squibes. In the beginning of the series she (Petunia) states that her parents were very pleased to have a witch in the family, and Petunia knows about the dementers etc, what are your opinions on that possibility? I have a feeling that Petunia will play an important part in the last book. I also think you are right that there is come kind of connection between Snape and Lily.
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Half-Blood Prince, Chapters 1 - 7



PEGSmom wrote:
.....well stated! I heard people discussing that maybe Petunia and Lily's parents may have been squibes. In the beginning of the series she (Petunia) states that her parents were very pleased to have a witch in the family, and Petunia knows about the dementers etc, what are your opinions on that possibility? I have a feeling that Petunia will play an important part in the last book. I also think you are right that there is come kind of connection between Snape and Lily.




JKR has said that they were not Squibs. Everyone in the family is a Muggle except for Lily.

It seems to me that Petunia wanted to be as special as her sister and be a witch, too, but she didn't get those magical abilities. She can NEVER tell that to her husband, though, and instead expresses contempt for the thing she most covets but cannot have. When Harry figures this out, it will be an eye-opener for him.
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 683 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: