Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Half-Blood Prince, Chapters 27 - 30

Please use this thread to discuss HBP from chapter 27, "The Lightning-Struck Tower," through the final chapter, "The White Tomb."
New User
resise
0 Kudos

Re: Half-Blood Prince, Chapters 27 - 30

I've been pondering...

Back in Chapter 26 when DD and Harry are leaving the cave:
"The protection was...after all...well-designed," said Dumbledore faintly. " One alone could not have done it...You did well, very well, Harry...." (Chp. 26, pg. 577)

I take this to mean that the "locket" horcrux would most likely have been impossible to take by one person acting alone due to the protections left by LV.

In Chapter 28, pg. 609, we find the note left in the locket which indicates it is not the true Horcrux:
"To the Dark Lord
I know I will be dead long before you read this
but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret.
I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can.
I face death in the hope that when you meet your match
you will be mortal once more.
R.A.B."

So....if help was needed to succeed in taking the locket, who was with R.A.B. when the true horcrux was taken from the cave???
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

If RAB is Regulus Black then it could have been Kreacher.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

resise wrote:
I've been pondering...

Back in Chapter 26 when DD and Harry are leaving the cave:
"The protection was...after all...well-designed," said Dumbledore faintly. " One alone could not have done it...You did well, very well, Harry...." (Chp. 26, pg. 577)

I take this to mean that the "locket" horcrux would most likely have been impossible to take by one person acting alone due to the protections left by LV.

In Chapter 28, pg. 609, we find the note left in the locket which indicates it is not the true Horcrux:
"To the Dark Lord
I know I will be dead long before you read this
but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret.
I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can.
I face death in the hope that when you meet your match
you will be mortal once more.
R.A.B."

So....if help was needed to succeed in taking the locket, who was with R.A.B. when the true horcrux was taken from the cave???

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Yes, my vote is Kreacher as well. I don't think his magical power would register in the boat anymore than Harry's.

But that then brings us to ask, "which one drank the potion?" Did Kreacher drink it and went all nutty afterward but didn't die? Or did Regulus drink it and Kreacher helped get him out? Did he then leave him to die somewhere where he could be found? (I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference between RAB dying of potion or an AK curse, do you? )

Another question to ask is whether or not Kreacher crossed the Dark Lord willingly. You would think that he would be more sympathetic to Regulus than the Dark Lord, but if this situation resulted in Regulus' death, then how come he helped the Dark Lord out in OOP?
Frequent Contributor
Bookladt
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:
Yes, my vote is Kreacher as well. I don't think his magical power would register in the boat anymore than Harry's.

But that then brings us to ask, "which one drank the potion?" Did Kreacher drink it and went all nutty afterward but didn't die? Or did Regulus drink it and Kreacher helped get him out? Did he then leave him to die somewhere where he could be found? (I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference between RAB dying of potion or an AK curse, do you? )

Another question to ask is whether or not Kreacher crossed the Dark Lord willingly. You would think that he would be more sympathetic to Regulus than the Dark Lord, but if this situation resulted in Regulus' death, then how come he helped the Dark Lord out in OOP?

I don't think he helped the Dark Lord actually - he only helped the only member of the family that he respected - Bellatrix. If it furthered her aims he was happy to serve her - but not happy to serve Sirius - who after all was not really respected or much loved by his mother. Kreacher knew the politics of that family and the way the wind blew. Maybe in some perverse way he thinks Regulus ( if that is who RAB is ) actually deserved to die for thwarting the Dark Lord and allowed him to die from that slow acting poison. He was commanded to do what he was told but he didn't have to like it or agree with it.
b-a
Frequent Contributor
b-a
0 Kudos

This post stirred up a thought in my head. Maybe the potion is liquid AK!:smileysurprised:

Psychee wrote:

Frequent Contributor
Bookladt
0 Kudos

b-a wrote:
This post stirred up a thought in my head. Maybe the potion is liquid AK!:smileysurprised:

Psychee wrote:

I think it was too slow to be liquid AK and Dumbledore did say that whoever put the potion in the basin wanted their victim to live long enough to reveal what they knew about where they were and what was in the cave.
New User
MarieEnigma
0 Kudos

Bookladt wrote:

b-a wrote:

Psychee wrote:

I think it was too slow to be liquid AK and Dumbledore did say that whoever put the potion in the basin wanted their victim to live long enough to reveal what they knew about where they were and what was in the cave.

I've been thinking for some time, now, that it's quite likely Snape developed and brewed that potion for LV. That would further explain DD's insistence that Harry had to go get Severus, no one else; it's logical that, for any potion he developed for LV, he would also have secretly developed an antidote for just such an emergency. Of course, the way events unfolded on the tower that night, he had no opportunity to go get an antidote or take any other action without blowing his cover, and that is what Dumbledor was pleading with him not to do. I think DD was dying from the injury to his hand, the potion was speeding the process up, and he felt that more good would come of Snape not blowing his cover, protecting Malfoy, and getting the DE's off the tower without them taking Harry than Snape trying to save DD, blowing his cover, extending the time that the DE's would be on the tower and so increasing the likelihood of them discovering Harry, only to have DD die shortly, anyway. And yes, Snape know that Harry was there. If Malfoy was quick enough to notice the second broom, it's guaranteed that Snape saw it and realized exactly who was on the tower.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I like that idea of Snape brewing the green potion...

On the Waiting For Harry board, a bunch of us have talked about this potion (come join us!) and I made a comment that it seemed like liquid Boggart -- makes people experience their worst fears. In Dumbledore's case, we think that his worst fear would be Voldemort hurting Hogwarts students to get at Dumbledore...
Reader 2
Maha
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

I think that Regulus drank it and commanded Kreacher to make him keep drinking just like Dumbledore made Harry promise to keep making him drink the potion, no matter what. Since Kreacher is a house elf, then he would have to do what his master told him. Just a theory.... Ü
*Anxiously Waiting for July 21, Midnight*

-Maha Ü
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I'm of the opinion that Kreacher drank the potion on RAB's orders and that it didn't affect him as adversely as itdid DD because of his elfin physiology.

Maha wrote:

Psychee wrote:

I think that Regulus drank it and commanded Kreacher to make him keep drinking just like Dumbledore made Harry promise to keep making him drink the potion, no matter what. Since Kreacher is a house elf, then he would have to do what his master told him. Just a theory.... Ü

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 908 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: