Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - The Movie

[ Edited ]
Harry's Fourth Film

Book Cover Image: Title: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Author: J. K. Rowling Buy It This fourth film in the series finds Harry, Ron, and Hermione making the tough transition to adolescence. Under the eye of Mike Newell (the director of Four Weddings and a Funeral and the first Brit to take the helm of a Harry Potter movie), Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is a another fairly dark cinematic interpretation of Rowling's work.

What were your thoughts on Goblet of Fire? Do you think its having a British director made a difference at all? What were some of your favorite scenes? Discuss these issues and more right here!

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-29-2007 09:05 AM

Frequent Contributor
Becs_Aunt
0 Kudos

Re: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - The Movie

The one thing that got me when I watched the movie was actually seeing Cedric Diggory. Of course, when he died in the book, I was saddend. It was very emotional. But actually seeing a person die, affected me more than I would have expected.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

One addition I really liked and I thought was true to the character was making Neville so keen on learning how to dance. Dancing a waltz requires no memory, just a sense of rhythm, and it took a great deal of courage for him to get right up and learn when all the other boys were horrified at the thought. I could easily see him being good at this!

I also loved Filch in this film. We didn't see much of him, but every time we saw him, he was comic relief. First, with that silly run he did to announce the arrival of the visitors, then later with his "premature canon fire" two times in a row.

What we lost in this film, though, was the ever-present vileness of Snape. He was no worse in this film than a very strict teacher... he didn't sadistically torture Harry once in the film.
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

What were your thoughts on Goblet of Fire? Do you think its having a British director made a difference at all? What were some of your favorite scenes? Discuss these issues and more right here!

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-29-2007 09:05 AM

I loved the yule ball! And of course the world cup, Totally awesome. What I wonder about the movie is how come Hermione tell's Harry and Ron what to do. First we see in the beggining of the movie when she tells Ron to wake up and get breakfast. And then after the yule ball, she tell's them both to go to bed. What is up with that? Did I miss something from the book?
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Contributor
SaviorOnEdge
0 Kudos

The problems I had with this movie are legion. And at that it as still worlds above Prisoner.

The additional minutes eaten up by the exaggerated dragon chase could have better been used to put in the Quiddich Cup in the beginning. The paltry mentioning of "SPEW" was worse than if the movie hadn't mentioned it at all.

Basically, I am eagerly awaiting the new book and praying that the Order of Phoenix movie isn't so bad it makes me ill. With luck it will actually be good, but movies 3 and 4 make me doubt it very much.
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

Goblet of fire is deintely my favorite movie- entertainment wise. I laughed, I cried, I told other people to go see itBut I agree with other's you add in scenes tha aren;t in the book, but take aay scenes that are on the book... 'to surprse the viewer'. Personally I rather be 'pleased with the adaptation' then 'surprised' but I guess screen writer's and director's don't see it that way. I must admit the teaching them how to dance scene was good, and nothing beat Snape smacking them upside the head... priceless. But I would have done without both, if it meant I could've seen the Quidditch World Cup. Especially since it seems we'll never see a Quidditch scene again...
I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
New User
GryffindorGinger
0 Kudos

It was good. This movie redeemed the Harry Potter Film Franchise in my eyes because the 3rd was so awful. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Contributor
Rosefire001
0 Kudos

I agree on that comment on Snape. The movie didn't really do justice to how evil Snape really is to Harry. The only time we got close to seeing how evil he was was when he accused Harry of making the polyjuice potion and even then it was just a sorta lame "mad teacher disiplines student" moment where all he did was barely "threaten" Harry. Then he just pushed Harry out of the supply room or whatever it was and close the door. Oooohhhhh scary. (please note that i was being SARCASTIC) But don't get me wrong the movie was still good considering there are millions of fans with different visuliations of the story and only a few people to help create the script.
V.L.
Contributor
Rosefire001
0 Kudos

I totally agree there were a number of moments in Harry potter 4 the movie that me think " What were they thinking?" A lot of the movie had pointless parts thet could have been ignored and replaced with more useful parts. When I saw what they did to the World cup i wanted to yell. they cut it too short and I was yearning for more plus they didn't include Ludo bagman ( sorry if I got his name wrong.) who i believe was a pretty important character in the fourth book. Like you I can only pray that when I see the 5th movie it will satisfy me enough that I don't loose faith in the movies.
V.L.
Frequent Contributor
ProfeJanet
0 Kudos

I confess that I've never been super-impressed with any of the movies. I've truly looked forward to each one and have enjoyed them, but never felt a burning desire to see any of them again. IMO books are always better than the movie in any circumstance -- and the movies in this series cannot match the writing and excitement of the books. There are just too many details that create the enchanting whole that cannot be worked into the film versions.

That said -- I do like the actors. With the exception of Hermione being "too pretty", I feel the characterizations have been done well. I really liked the long hair on these guys in this film. :-) Though I haven't seen Phoenix, yet, I was disappointed that Harry was back to short hair even if it is possibly more true to the book.

I really do not like the current Dumbledore. How disappointing to have lost the original -- he was so much more fitting. I can't quite remember Michael Gambon from the POA movie, but I felt that Gambon in GoF was much more terse and forceful rather than the powerful, yet benevolent wizard that I feel he really is.

Though the dragon scene was embellished more than necessary, I really enjoyed the flying. I think it is an important idea to emphasize and remember with Harry that he is such a good flyer.

Tons of people will disagree with me on this next opinion, but I will fearlessly state it anyhow: I LIKED how Snape was portrayed in this movie. TRUE, that it is NOT true to the book, but I have never agreed with how JKR portrays Snape in the novels. I don't find his treatment of Harry very realistic. As I've re-read the novels 2-3 times I have certainly gotten over it, but the slight character shift in the movies was entertaining for me -- although, I will say he is severely under-represented scene-wise; it doesn't make sense when he is such an important character.

I know that as I post this many, many, many, of y'all have already seen OotP -- I hope to in the next couple of days . . . and am, as ever looking forward to it and expect to enjoy it. I'm really hoping to see some cool magical dueling in the Ministry . . .
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

I hope you'll post your impressions of _Phoenix_ once you've seen it, ProfeJanet!

~ConnieK, 8 days

ProfeJanet wrote, in part:
I know that as I post this many, many, many, of y'all have already seen OotP -- I hope to in the next couple of days . . . and am, as ever looking forward to it and expect to enjoy it. I'm really hoping to see some cool magical dueling in the Ministry . . .

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

I've seen the Phoenix, and though it was the funniest movie yet, it wasn't better than GoF. In fact I'm still debating whether I like it better than SS... I need to give it more time...
I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 595 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: