Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - The Movie

[ Edited ]
The Latest Harry Movie... Coming Soon!

Book Cover Image: Title: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Author: J. K. Rowling Buy It Due to hit theaters on July 11th, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is perhaps the most hotly-anticipated of all the Harry films. In this one, we find Harry returning to Hogwarts to begin his fifth year of study -- with his integrity on the line, and Dark forces to overcome. Directed by David Yates (also slated to direct the film version of Half-Blood Prince), the big-screen version of Order of the Phoenix is sure to enchant audiences this summer.

Can't wait to see the latest Harry Potter film? While you wait, share your excitement, expectations, and predictions here!

Bonus: Check out the movie trailer now!

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-29-2007 09:03 AM

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - The Movie

Will the sound track for this movie be available in B&N stores on July 11, its release date? Or is that just the shipping date from the manufacturer to the stores?
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

With many popular titles, Psychee, the shipping date we have is the official release date that the stores put out the merchandise. The date you see on this soundtrack represents when it is available to ship from our warehouse, not a ship-from-manufacturer date, so it's likely the stores will stock them simultaneously.

Psychee wrote:
Will the sound track for this movie be available in B&N stores on July 11, its release date? Or is that just the shipping date from the manufacturer to the stores?

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

I was wondering, does anyone know if the Pensieve scene is in the movie? Cuz I am really looking forward to it, and I have a feeling it's one of those things that the director may cut out.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Bill_T wrote:
With many popular titles, Psychee, the shipping date we have is the official release date that the stores put out the merchandise. The date you see on this soundtrack represents when it is available to ship from our warehouse, not a ship-from-manufacturer date, so it's likely the stores will stock them simultaneously.

Psychee wrote:

Thanks for responding, Bill! Sometimes I think the music is the best component of films... but maybe I'm biased... one of my great uncles used to play the music that accompanied the silent screen flicks in his local "picture show house", lol...
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'm pretty sure the Pensieve scene will be in the movie, because I've found a few websites saying it's going to be in there, and imdb.com has "Young James Potter", "Young Remus Lupin", "Young Peter Pettigrew", "Young Sirius Black", and "Young Severus Snape" listed as part of the cast. There has also been a lot of speculation as to the significance of that particular scene; luckily, J.K. Rowling is asked by the directors what is important and what isn't so important, so if it is important, I'm sure they left it in the film. I certainly hope it is included, because that was one of my favorite scenes in the book, and I would love to see how they present it onscreen. One week to go!!!

Message Edited by APenForYourThoughts on 07-04-2007 01:37 PM
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

agnijay wrote:
I was wondering, does anyone know if the Pensieve scene is in the movie? Cuz I am really looking forward to it, and I have a feeling it's one of those things that the director may cut out.

Yes the pensieve scene is in the movie, there is a trailer on msn.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

So I guess that means we all get a glimpse of Snape's gray underpants? :smileyhappy:

dayrenm wrote:

agnijay wrote:

Yes the pensieve scene is in the movie, there is a trailer on msn.

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
FantasyFan
0 Kudos

I have a feeling that as cool as the previews look for this movie it will be disappointing for all the book fans. This book is so long they will leave a ton out. I cannot remember the source but I read that for the movie scripts the story gets condensed down to about 100 pages.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanx for the link Psychee. I have a Sprint cell phone and on my media player they have a good eight of these clips, but not all of them. I watch them all the time, Merlin I love Sprint... but if they only had them all.

Oh and for anyone interested in hearing some of the Soundtrack, if you go to:

http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=236

You can listen to bits and pieces of the soundtrack, they even tell you a bit about the sounds your hearing. The passage for Hedwig's theme tells you about the horns never finishing, and it just sort of makes you womder why... it's number three on the list.

Good listening to everyone.

Message Edited by Proper-T on 07-06-2007 11:24 PM
I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Proper-T wrote:
Thanx for the link Psychee. I have a Sprint cell phone and on my media player they have a good eight of these clips, but not all of them. I watch them all the time, Merlin I love Sprint... but if they only had them all.

Oh and for anyone interested in hearing some of the Soundtrack, if you go to:

You can listen to bits and pieces of the soundtrack, they even tell you a bit about the sounds your hearing. The passage for Hedwig's theme tells you about the horns never finishing, and it just sort of makes you womder why... it's number three on the list.

Good listening to everyone.

Thank you so much for that link! The score sounds amazing. Umbridge's Theme fits Her Pinkness perfectly as she marches through the school. Some of the more emotional clips are giving me goosebumps. Can't wait to hear the whole thing and see the movie that it goes with!

RE: "horns never finishing" -- that is from the opening theme and the transition there probably matches the beginning of the movie proper -- change of what you are seeing on screen...
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

You're welcome. Wasn't it great to hear it? :smileyhappy: When I was watching your clips I listened to the background when Harry is talking to the pre DA in the Hog's Head, and I got excited at the music all over again... I've never been a soundtrack person, but I might pick one up this time around.

Psychee wrote:
Thank you so much for that link! The score sounds amazing. Umbridge's Theme fits Her Pinkness perfectly as she marches through the school. Some of the more emotional clips are giving me goosebumps. Can't wait to hear the whole thing and see the movie that it goes with!

RE: "horns never finishing" -- that is from the opening theme and the transition there probably matches the beginning of the movie proper -- change of what you are seeing on screen...

I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
New User
GryffindorGinger
0 Kudos

I'm looking forward to this movie. Though I hear they left out Ron's assent to Quidditch Captain, but as long as they add in the basic plot I'm cool.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Readers: Do you think this movie is getting overshadowed by the last book coming out shortly afterwards? I'm wondering if people will just go to the movie to help wait out the next few days for the book. Someone once asked me why they didn't push this movie release back to around the holidays in 2007 so the movie and book wouldn't compete with each other. I wasn't sure if I'd heard the reason why they kept the movie release for the summer--I just figured they had the movie finished, so they weren't going to wait. My guess was that the timing of the movie and book releases were made pretty independently of one another, except maybe to make sure they werent the exact same weekend when it became clear that the last book would come out the same month. Did anyone hear or read a Warner Bros. statement on the reason for this timing?

~ConnieK, "3 days to wait for the movie; 13 for the book"

Message Edited by ConnieK on 07-07-2007 02:24 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
3Liesl69
0 Kudos

I can hardly wait to see the movie "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." I can hardly wait for the soundtrack and the DVD.

I can hardly wait for the movie "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince." I can hardly wait for that soundtrack and that DVD, too.

I can hardly wait to read the book "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." I can hardly wait for that movie, that soundtrack, and that DVD as well.

J.K. Rowling is a wonderful writer. I wonder what else she will write now that she's finished writing about Harry. Whatever it would be, I can hardly to find it and read it; can you?
3-Liesl-69
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
Readers: Do you think this movie is getting overshadowed by the last book coming out shortly afterwards? I'm wondering if people will just go to the movie to help wait out the next few days for the book. Someone once asked me why they didn't push this movie release back to around the holidays in 2007 so the movie and book wouldn't compete with each other. I wasn't sure if I'd heard the reason why they kept the movie release for the summer--I just figured they had the movie finished, so they weren't going to wait. My guess was that the timing of the movie and book releases were made pretty independently of one another, except maybe to make sure they werent the exact same weekend when it became clear that the last book would come out the same month. Did anyone hear or read a Warner Bros. statement on the reason for this timing?

~ConnieK, "3 days to wait for the movie; 13 for the book"

I don't know how they determined these publishing dates, I am guessing that the movie is being released to make sure it is a summer blockbuster and the book is being released at this time because that's how long it took to get published, but I do not think that one will eclipse the other due to the fact that there isn't a huge overlap between readers and movie-goers. There is an overlap, to be sure, but most of the people that I know who will see the movie have never read any of the books.

Also, the timing is only close for the English-speaking population of the world. The rest of the planet will see the movie long before the book translations for their languages come out for the seventh book.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Psychee--You really don't see that much of an overlap in the film and book audiences? That's interesting. Just about everyone I know who is interested at all in Harry Potter reads the books and then sees the movies (or doesn't keep up with the movies quite as much but reads each book as soon as it comes out). I think I know just one person who only sees the movies. Do you think the movie execs. market studied this stuff and thought the book and movie would not compete because of the different audiences, as you suggest? They must figure they can make money, I suppose, or they would have waited. I'm just hearing a lot more excitement over the book rather than the movie due out in 3 days, but maybe that's just because of the circles I run in.

~ConnieK, "12 days for the book"

Psychee wrote:
I don't know how they determined these publishing dates, I am guessing that the movie is being released to make sure it is a summer blockbuster and the book is being released at this time because that's how long it took to get published, but I do not think that one will eclipse the other due to the fact that there isn't a huge overlap between readers and movie-goers. There is an overlap, to be sure, but most of the people that I know who will see the movie have never read any of the books.

Also, the timing is only close for the English-speaking population of the world. The rest of the planet will see the movie long before the book translations for their languages come out for the seventh book.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Connie, I live in a heavy populated suburban area wherein education is valued, 90% of the kids go on to college, and the Barnes & Noble store is always crowded (right up until 11 pm when it closes), but I'll bet less than 5% of the teenagers have read a Harry Potter book.

In contrast, 95% of them will see the movie within a week of opening or face embarrassment with their peers, because THE MOVIE one of those things you are EXPECTED to see. Those who see it on the first day it comes out will tease those who have to wait longer -- it's a very palpable peer pressure thing that the movie companies started seeding last December and haven't stopped fanning since. In addition to the trailers that they've seen for months in the movie thatres, almost all the stuff about Harry Potter you see on the TV right now is directed at hyping the movie and increasing the excitement. Scholastic might put in a few plugs for the book here and there, but it's nothing compared with the movie hype.

I don't think my area is unusual. We've had lots of teenagers on these message boards saying that none of their friends have read the books and they can't find anyone else to talk to about their love of Harry Potter. A generation or two ago, you could pretty much expect the "quieter" kids to entertain themselves through reading a book, but today a big proportion of them use their free time to watch TV or interact with others on the net. It's a different world -- a rushed world full of multi-tasking kids -- and reading isn't one of those things they can do and talk on the cell phone at the same time...

Now I don't mean to imply that there is not a huge bunch of kids waiting for the seventh book -- obviously there are by book sales standards -- but I think the number of book copies sold will pale in comparison to the number of movie tickets sold... and look even smaller when the DVD of the movie comes out.

Just my perception, though...
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

It's a given that numbers of movie tickets sold, alas, will outstrip books in almost any demographic you can name. The movie ticket sales will include tix for each member of a family who goes, too, whereas many families will share just one copy of the book. The numbers of tix sold vs. books don't and won't equate for many reasons. I guess I'm not saying the movie will "suffer" because of the book coming out by any means; it just seems to me that there is much more media attention, promotion, and general interest going on about the book rather than _The Order of the Phoenix_ movie. Maybe I'm just not seeing it. (I don't watch much network TV). Also, I know several teenagers and younger folks who will see the movie, sure; but they aren't about to let that last book pass them by--that's what they're focusing on, and that's what's all over the Internet, in newspapers, etc.--excitement and speculation about Book 7. Maybe I'm just lucky to know a lot of bright young people who happen to be readers. Of course, many bright young readers don't care for Harry Potter at all--neither books nor films. :smileywink: There is a backlash among many of them against the peer pressure you cite. I kind of like that!

~ConnieK, "12 days now"

Psychee wrote:
I live in a heavy populated suburban area wherein education is valued, 90% of the kids go on to college, and the Barnes & Noble store is always crowded (right up until 11 pm when it closes), but I'll bet less than 5% of the teenagers have read a Harry Potter book.

In contrast, 95% of them will see the movie within a week of opening or face embarrassment with their peers, because THE MOVIE one of those things you are EXPECTED to see.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 82 members 583 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: