Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
TiffyTaffy
0 Kudos

Re: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - The Movie

Just curious, did anyone happen to go see it in IMAX 3D?
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Also, exactly how was the Pensieve scene?
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
princesspotter
0 Kudos

Disappointing to say the least.. Yes, young Snape got flipped over by young James Potter but it played all for about 30 seconds and the scene was over. It was so fast I couldn't even tell you, unless I see it again, if Lily was there, or Lupin, or even wormtail. I think young Sirius was right behind young James, but it was rushed and over before you finished blinking.
It wasn't in the Pensieve as we read it. It happened while Snape gave Harry his one-time-only Occlumency Lesson that occurred immediately after Harry had his vision of Mr Weasley.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Okay, I got home at almost 3 and since I had to leave for work at 6:30, I chose to sleep for 2 hours instead of posting my thoughts on the movie... I think it's better that I waited and thought on it for..what, 6 hours or so. Hard to believe the credits were rolling only 6 hours ago. Man, I'm tired!

Anyway, the pensieve scene was NOT a pensieve scene at all. Yes, you got a VERY TINY glimpse of Snape's Worst Memory, but it happened when Harry finally used occlumency the first time. You get that bit of memory instead of seeing the boy cowering in the corner while the man and woman are arguing.

After five films, I've FINALLY discovered what's missing from them! They cut out almost all of the foreshadowing. Yes, there are things that have to be cut out of necessity because of time constraints. But, particularly noticeable in OotP, they cut a lot of things that didn't have much to do with the individual storyline for this book/movie, but a lot of it will definitely be important to book 7. You get no clue that Petunia knows anything about the wizarding world. There's no mention that Sirius even has a brother, let alone that his initials are definitely R.?.B. Basically, what I see this meaning is that folks that haven't read the books are going to be completely shocked when they watch the seventh film and things happen that they never could have possibly seen coming.

agnijay wrote:
Also, exactly how was the Pensieve scene?

---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

I don't think we can even call it "the Pensieve scene" in the movie, but during Harry's Occlumency lesson with Snape, Harry breaks into Snape's thoughts and we see some of what happened in the book with James tormenting Snape. I thought they would do that scene in its entirety, or at least spend more time on it than they did (about ten seconds), because that always seemed important because Harry learns more about his father and his mother and Snape. It was kind of disappointing to me because that was one of my favorite scenes in the book.
It was, however, a good movie overall if you disregard the omissions and changes to the plot. :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

No, there were at least 2 Occlumency lessons, I think. There seemed to be some time and some seens with the DA, etc, in between the first and second one. But then, I was tired and maybe I only thought that's what I saw.

princesspotter wrote:
Disappointing to say the least.. Yes, young Snape got flipped over by young James Potter but it played all for about 30 seconds and the scene was over. It was so fast I couldn't even tell you, unless I see it again, if Lily was there, or Lupin, or even wormtail. I think young Sirius was right behind young James, but it was rushed and over before you finished blinking.
It wasn't in the Pensieve as we read it. It happened while Snape gave Harry his one-time-only Occlumency Lesson that occurred immediately after Harry had his vision of Mr Weasley.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Was Dumbledore any better in this movie? I keep hoping...
Contributor
TiffyTaffy
0 Kudos

I think you're right.It seemed there was more than one Occlumency lesson.
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Yes, I saw it in IMAX 3D. The large screen did add a lot to my enjoyment and the 3D wasn't bad but truthfully, I think they do it better at Disney. I was satisified with the translation of the book to the screen--by now we know they have to compress a lot of pages to fit into an alloted time period--but everyone will have their own ideas on which parts they missed the most. There was no mention of Hermione and Ron becoming prefects and harry's anger seemed somewhat displaced; you have to read the book to understand his frustration. It moved at a very fast pace and scenes just whipped by in front of your eyes. If you tend towards motion sickness as I do definitely sit in the very back of the theater. We had to leave before the end of the credits; was there another scene after they finished rolling? The soundtrack was okay, not my favorite.

TiffyTaffy wrote:

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
Erind
0 Kudos

What they did is take all of the scenes that they thought were most important, and then strung them all together. Like when Harry sent the owl to Sirius and then saw the Thestral, he was supposed to see Cho and be accused of ordering dungbombs but instead he skipped to a later scene and went down to the Thestral were Luna explained them to him. Also, they left out a lot of the things that make you see how brilliant Hermione is in this one. Remember how amazed everyone was when she put a Protean Charm on the Galleons? Or how about how Umbridge couldn't even figure out the counter-jinx to remove the word Sneak from Marietta's forehead. I do see why they had Cho do it though, they needed a way to break up Harry and Cho while cutting the whole Hogsmeade scene.

I thought Sirius dying was very sad, I imagine they had Bellatrix use AK so it was more clear that he was dead. My biggest complaint about the magic part, I really wanted to see more of the shield charm. Protego is such a cool spell and I didn't really see people using it all that much.
Contributor
TiffyTaffy
0 Kudos

I think this weekend I might go see it again but in 3D this time.I was curious about that also...Hopefully someone here stayed till the end of the credits and can let us know if there was something.
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

princesspotter wrote:
......But had I not read the book.. I may just have enjoyed the movie more instead of sitting there critiquing it.
But I love Harry, so I'll see it a million times over. And over.. And over..

Message Edited by princesspotter on 07-11-2007 10:02 AM

That is exactly how I feel. I went with a group of 11, 4 of those people think the books are not worth the time and effort but the rest of us do. The whole time me and my best frined sat there critizing it. I don't think its a good sign if during the movie all you can concentrate on is the flaws, even the non book readers were confused. Well...okay...okay..not the whole movie..I liked some parts, The Weasley escape and the couples foreshadowing.
There has to be some way to compromise....
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

Erind wrote:
What they did is take all of the scenes that they thought were most important, and then strung them all together. Like when Harry sent the owl to Sirius and then saw the Thestral, he was supposed to see Cho and be accused of ordering dungbombs but instead he skipped to a later scene and went down to the Thestral were Luna explained them to him. Also, they left out a lot of the things that make you see how brilliant Hermione is in this one. Remember how amazed everyone was when she put a Protean Charm on the Galleons? Or how about how Umbridge couldn't even figure out the counter-jinx to remove the word Sneak from Marietta's forehead. I do see why they had Cho do it though, they needed a way to break up Harry and Cho while cutting the whole Hogsmeade scene.

I thought Sirius dying was very sad, I imagine they had Bellatrix use AK so it was more clear that he was dead. My biggest complaint about the magic part, I really wanted to see more of the shield charm. Protego is such a cool spell and I didn't really see people using it all that much.

I'm sure one would have mind an extra half hour so you can make it a bit better. Alot of the scenes that were cut are important to movie 6/7.
And like you said how they hadCHo and Harry broke up. But doesn't it seem like they are too unfinished? What's going to happen when Ginny and Harry get together...or will they cut that too?
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Contributor
silver_raven
0 Kudos

I just saw the movie last night in away the pensieve scene is there but it just shows the memory not of harry going into any pensieve
Contributor
silver_raven
0 Kudos

In away the movie was disappointing cuz it didn't follow the book after the hearing, but the movie was still really good.
Contributor
silver_raven
0 Kudos

Quidditch wasn't mentioned in the movie niether was there any games of quidditch.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

To answer...someone's question about Dumbledore...yes, I think Michael Gambon has done increasingly better since PoA. While watching OotP, I had almost forgotten that the part belonged to Richard Harris. I'd love to hear someone else's opinion on that, though. He was fantastic during the scene at the Ministry.

Personally, I think 20 extra minutes would have been enough to at least mention some of the important things that will come into play later.
Frequent Contributor
potterfreak2
0 Kudos

I think the movie overall was pretty good but I was disappointed. There were no transitions at all and they left out a lot of things that will be important in book 7. There were parts that confused me and I've read the book a lot of times. I was sitting next to my friend who has only seen the movies and there were times where she was asking me what was going on and once or twice I couldn't even tell her cause I wasn't even too sure. I think the scene with Dubledore and Voldemort was AMAZING. The beginning made me really mad because i was trying to relate it too much to the book but once I stopped doing that it was a little better, but still disappointing. The dementors were scary as crap and I don't like how they didn't really explain anything. They could've made it longer and I dont think people wouldve cared especially if they were using the extra time for transitions or to explain stuff, especially the stuff at the end that Dumbledore explains to Harry because that was basically nonexistant. I think they also could've given Umbridge a little more chaos.
Contributor
kimmiller1017
0 Kudos

I saw the movie last night as well. I thought it was awesome. I was looking through the book again, and I think they got the good stuff in. Its like its buliding up to something, that will definitely make you want to see Half Blood Prince, even my fiance voiced an interest in reading the books after seeing this movie.I was especially pleased with Neville's character and how they were able to capture his own personal tragedy.
I won't say much more until more people see the movie, but I was a little surprised the tickets were sold out last night, because I don't know about you but I don't think they had been showing as many previews for OOTP than Transformers. I personally think its because there are no American actors in the movie.
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

I saw it in 3D too, it did make the ending look cooler... but the ending was still nothing of the epic battle I thought it would be...

Hey dcs we could have been sitting right next to ech other and nevre even known it...

It was edited badly... I just have to keep saying this...

dcsbelle wrote:
Yes, I saw it in IMAX 3D. The large screen did add a lot to my enjoyment and the 3D wasn't bad but truthfully, I think they do it better at Disney. I was satisified with the translation of the book to the screen--by now we know they have to compress a lot of pages to fit into an alloted time period--but everyone will have their own ideas on which parts they missed the most. There was no mention of Hermione and Ron becoming prefects and harry's anger seemed somewhat displaced; you have to read the book to understand his frustration. It moved at a very fast pace and scenes just whipped by in front of your eyes. If you tend towards motion sickness as I do definitely sit in the very back of the theater. We had to leave before the end of the credits; was there another scene after they finished rolling? The soundtrack was okay, not my favorite.

TiffyTaffy wrote:

I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Users Online
Currently online: 21 members 219 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: