Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
princesspotter
0 Kudos

Re: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - The Movie

[ Edited ]
i must have certainly dozed off then because i can only recall one lesson..
and it took three times for Harry to overpower Snape for his memories..

But the worst idea of this I found, was when DD made Harry go practice right away with Snape.. and it was still night. and they didnt rush to tend to Mr Weasley and make sure he was still alive.

Mundungus was left out. the Locket was left out.. Mention of RAB was left out.

also disturbing, someone already mentioned was Bellatrix using the AK curse when Sirius went down. the effects on this bothered me, because when the AK curse on Cedric was used.. BOOM... he was dead. But Sirius, although it was brief, fell like he was wounded. and while we like to hope that JKR left out the name of the curse when Sirius went down, the movie clearly used it.

I like the new DD. I liked the old DD better. But this one has done well. In the books though, he is portrayed as having far more patience and was easygoing.

Message Edited by princesspotter on 07-11-2007 06:55 PM
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

At the Loew's IMAX on Broadway and 68th St. in NYC?

Proper-T wrote:
I saw it in 3D too, it did make the ending look cooler... but the ending was still nothing of the epic battle I thought it would be...

Hey dcs we could have been sitting right next to ech other and nevre even known it
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
New User
Book_Hoarder
0 Kudos

Well I saw it. I thought it was probably the best one yet, but they cut waaaaaaaaay too much. Many of my favorite scenes didn't show up in the film. I wasn't too happy with the improvisions either. I suppose the movie was good, but the book was much better.
If an infinite number of rednecks in the back of an infinite number of pickup trucks shoot an infinite number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of highway signs, they will eventually produce a complete version of Hamlet in Braille.
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

potterfreak2 wrote:
I think the movie overall was pretty good but I was disappointed. There were no transitions at all and they left out a lot of things that will be important in book 7. There were parts that confused me and I've read the book a lot of times. I was sitting next to my friend who has only seen the movies and there were times where she was asking me what was going on and once or twice I couldn't even tell her cause I wasn't even too sure. I think the scene with Dubledore and Voldemort was AMAZING. The beginning made me really mad because i was trying to relate it too much to the book but once I stopped doing that it was a little better, but still disappointing. The dementors were scary as crap and I don't like how they didn't really explain anything. They could've made it longer and I dont think people wouldve cared especially if they were using the extra time for transitions or to explain stuff, especially the stuff at the end that Dumbledore explains to Harry because that was basically nonexistant. I think they also could've given Umbridge a little more chaos.

I don't think anyone would mind extra time in the movie, when it's something like Harry Potter. But the Dumbledore battle was GREAT and so was the smoke thing.
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

princesspotter wrote:
i must have certainly dozed off then because i can only recall one lesson..
and it took three times for Harry to overpower Snape for his memories..

But the worst idea of this I found, was when DD made Harry go practice right away with Snape.. and it was still night. and they didnt rush to tend to Mr Weasley and make sure he was still alive.

Mundungus was left out. the Locket was left out.. Mention of RAB was left out.

also disturbing, someone already mentioned was Bellatrix using the AK curse when Sirius went down. the effects on this bothered me, because when the AK curse on Cedric was used.. BOOM... he was dead. But Sirius, although it was brief, fell like he was wounded. and while we like to hope that JKR left out the name of the curse when Sirius went down, the movie clearly used it.

I like the new DD. I liked the old DD better. But this one has done well. In the books though, he is portrayed as having far more patience and was easygoing.

Message Edited by princesspotter on 07-11-2007 06:55 PM

Didn't Harry shut Snape out of his mind when he reached the Cho kiss??? In the movie I thought Snape saw it but it happened so fast.
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Frequent Contributor
Erind
0 Kudos

He did kinda, at least that's when he said, "That's private". Something worth noting though, they showed the Black family tree but they did not show Regulus at all. JKR has always said that she makes sure that they put stuff that is necessary to the plot into the movie. What does that mean for RAB? And I am 100% that Ginny and Harry will be together in the 6th movie, it would be completely idiotic of them to leave that out.

Oh and, the Weasley brothers did their escape in the middle of the OWL Examinations?!? There's no way they would have done something like that in the book.
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

But of Course :smileywink: I got the idea to go there from you ages ago actually. You mentioned it, ad then I heard about the last twenty being in 3D...

Oh and someone said something about Bellatrix using the AK... I didn't here her say AK, I thought she used Rictusempra- the ticklig charm. But I couls have misheard, the effects were doing a good job on me at the time...

dcsbelle wrote:
At the Loew's IMAX on Broadway and 68th St. in NYC?

Proper-T wrote:
I saw it in 3D too, it did make the ending look cooler... but the ending was still nothing of the epic battle I thought it would be...

Hey dcs we could have been sitting right next to each other and never even known it

I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I hope you got there early, Tiffany; I felt sorry for the standees. I'm not sure if I heard Bellatrix say "Avada Kedavra" but the green light was telling. Also, for whoever posted about the Black family tree, I definitely saw Regulus' name on it but no middle name and no dates. Can someone verify that for me?

Proper-T wrote:
But of Course :smileywink: I got the idea to go there from you ages ago actually. You mentioned it, ad then I heard about the last twenty being in 3D...

Oh and someone said something about Bellatrix using the AK... I didn't here her say AK, I thought she used Rictusempra- the ticklig charm. But I couls have misheard, the effects were doing a good job on me at the time...
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Contributor
mytigression
0 Kudos

The memory is in there, but it's not shown in the pensieve.
Christine
Contributor
mytigression
0 Kudos

Ron never made Quidditch captain, he was keeper, but it's true, quidditch isn't in this movie at all, much to my dissappointment.
Christine
Contributor
11Phoenix11
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:
Anyway, the pensieve scene was NOT a pensieve scene at all. Yes, you got a VERY TINY glimpse of Snape's Worst Memory, but it happened when Harry finally used occlumency the first time. You get that bit of memory instead of seeing the boy cowering in the corner while the man and woman are arguing.

After five films, I've FINALLY discovered what's missing from them! They cut out almost all of the foreshadowing. Yes, there are things that have to be cut out of necessity because of time constraints. But, particularly noticeable in OotP, they cut a lot of things that didn't have much to do with the individual storyline for this book/movie, but a lot of it will definitely be important to book 7. You get no clue that Petunia knows anything about the wizarding world. There's no mention that Sirius even has a brother, let alone that his initials are definitely R.?.B. Basically, what I see this meaning is that folks that haven't read the books are going to be completely shocked when they watch the seventh film and things happen that they never could have possibly seen coming.

I totally agree about the foreshadowing!!! One thing they left out worries me for the seventh book. I guess its based on theories, but what about the locket they find while cleaning Grimauld Place? If the theories about it being the real horcrux are accurate then they are going to have some major explaining to do for the seventh movie.
Oh, and I am pretty sure the reason Harry saw Snape's worst memory is because he (probably just an instinctual reation) cast a quick protego (sheild) charm/spell which reflected the Legimens back onto Snape and he had no time to use occlumency to block him. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure somebody will :smileyhappy: ).
Contributor
11Phoenix11
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
I hope you got there early, Tiffany; I felt sorry for the standees. I'm not sure if I heard Bellatrix say "Avada Kedavra" but the green light was telling. Also, for whoever posted about the Black family tree, I definitely saw Regulus' name on it but no middle name and no dates. Can someone verify that for me?

I remember hearing Bellatrix say avada kedavra specifically beacuse I remember being pissed off at how much she made it sound like abra kadabra. Also, I hated the way Sirius took forever to fall through the veil. It made him seem so dead. (which he probably is, but one can only hope). It seemed like the ony way to redeem themselves after that was to throw in Luna's line about how lost things find their way back or something of the sort.
Frequent Contributor
killercactus
0 Kudos

Re: Small Details

I would like to post an OotP movie thread, but i cant....

Something in the movie that really annoyed me for some reason is that Bellatrix hits Sirius with Avada Kedavra in the Ministry and not just a spell to knock him through the veil. I guess I always had this thought in the back of my head that Sirius was going to come back somehow, but I dont think JKR would allow the movie producers to let Bella use the AK if Sirius was ever coming back
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

Re: Small Details

I know they are discussing the movies in Harry by the Month: The Movies.
New User
starfishlilly
0 Kudos

I saw the movie and I was really impressed by some of the shots. I didn't feel like it was a kid's movie (which is what some people are mistaking it as) while watching the first scene.

What bothered me from the get-go was Mrs. Figg. She was waaay too nice and it would've been cool to see how someone else in Little Whinging thought of Dudley. AND what was the deal with Petunia looking so attractive with the glistening sweat and tiny dress?? That bothered me.

I thought the transitions were ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. It's as if they kept in mind the fact that the movie would eventually be on network tv. The poor editing made me really really miss Alfonso Cauron's creative and seamless transitions from PoA.

As everyone else has already mentioned, it would have awesome if the movie were longer. That way there could have been more character development for Umbridge. I didn't hate her enough. If quidditch was in there, and we saw how Umbridge banned Harry and the twins from playing after rightfully kicking the crap out of Malfoy, she would have been absolutely evil. ... Yeah, it definitely should have been longer. I would not mind at all if the movie was spilt in two so that everything would be in there. But that's just me.

I LOVE the movie though, don't get me wrong. And the music was awesome. It felt more mature and made me feel like I went to the wrong high school. I'm going to watch at the IMAX in NYC this weekend. I can't wait.
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

Nope Seat :smileyvery-happy:

Yeah I saw Regulus too, and no, no mention of middle names or last. Someone said something about his fall into veil being slow... that's how was in the book, by Harry's desciption- something about takings age and a graceful arc... either way it still wasn't anyweher as emotional as I thought it would be...

As fot the no Quidditch, well that information was released a while ago, but there was also no mention of Prefects either... Poor Ron.

dcsbelle wrote:

Proper-T wrote:

I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

BTW--Can someone please explain to me why the train said "Hogwarts Railways"???? What happened to Hogwarts Express?
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:
BTW--Can someone please explain to me why the train said "Hogwarts Railways"???? What happened to Hogwarts Express?

lol... maybe they decided to make local stops? :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
maggie21
0 Kudos

Gamdon was ok as DD in this film,actually i was surprised by this,as i'm a Harris fan.It could have been a little longer to explain a few more things in depth.My husband had a hard time following it,as he is'nt a book person.I must say that i liked this film much more than GOF.The final showdown with LV and DD was really great.I liked the new actors playing Luna,Tonks,Shaklebolt,Umbridge was ok,I think she could have been more cruel,like the book describes her.Really,I don't know why they added Gwrap,the time spent on him could have been used elsewhere.
Frequent Contributor
ProfeJanet
0 Kudos

I think I liked this movie the best so far -- but I think it is simply that I've been so obsessed with Harry Potter this summer! :-) Of course lots was left out, that was no surprise and there were more changes to this one than I remember happening to the previous films. As with the other movies, I kept wondering if non-book viewers were lost to what was going on because many important scenes from the book were reduced to fleeting single lines that were extremely hard to catch.

I felt that the build up of the relationship with Harry and Sirius was done well -- I felt more emotional about Sirius' death than I have with the book. Ministry fighting was not how I imagined it, but I was impressed.

I liked Gambon a little better in this movie, but I find it hard to imagine how he will be in HBP; he's still to harsh and un-father-like. However, the battle between DD and LV really was pretty cool.

Harry's "battle" with LV was not at all what I expected, but I agree with Proper-T that it was quite moving. With Harry's friends coming in and witnessing him struggling on the ground -- that really got to me. I've always felt that JKR has written Harry's climactic and post-climactic scenes so incredibly well in GoF and OotP; this movie finally captured some of that throughout the whole thing and especially in that last LV scene.

For me, the telling sign that it was overall done well is that I felt fairly well satisfied at the end and wanted to watch it again -- something I didn't necessarily feel with the other movies. Not only that, but it has made me actually want to watch all the others again, too.

Will the 21st never come???
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 208 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: