Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - The Movie

This may be a bit premature, but does anyone know when the DVD is due out?
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

For those of you who've seen the movie--what did you think of Sirius's death scene? Was there a veil? It didn't look like a veil to me. He kind of fell backwards and vaporized? What did you see?

~ConnieK, 1 week away
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
PotterFan86
0 Kudos

I thought Sirius dying was very sad, I imagine they had Bellatrix use AK so it was more clear that he was dead.

My only reservation to this statement and the scene in the movie is that, do we really know Sirius is dead? I mean J.K. doesn't mention which spell sends Sirius into the veil, and really no one knows what is behind the veil, or what it does, it is still a 'mystery' she may bring more light onto what it does and what her scene meant in the 7th book, so I would think that the movie using the AK spell kinda messes up the plot line.
Frequent Contributor
Solitud
0 Kudos

potterfreak2 wrote:
I think the movie overall was pretty good but I was disappointed. There were no transitions at all and they left out a lot of things that will be important in book 7. There were parts that confused me and I've read the book a lot of times. I was sitting next to my friend who has only seen the movies and there were times where she was asking me what was going on and once or twice I couldn't even tell her cause I wasn't even too sure. I think the scene with Dubledore and Voldemort was AMAZING. The beginning made me really mad because i was trying to relate it too much to the book but once I stopped doing that it was a little better, but still disappointing. The dementors were scary as crap and I don't like how they didn't really explain anything. They could've made it longer and I dont think people wouldve cared especially if they were using the extra time for transitions or to explain stuff, especially the stuff at the end that Dumbledore explains to Harry because that was basically nonexistant. I think they also could've given Umbridge a little more chaos.

I agree with you. I was thinking too much of the book and feeling that there was a lot that was not clear for the person who had not read the books. About the end, yes, The explanations that Dumbledore made to Harry was so touching that just having the actor say he cares a bout him in one little sentence does not make justice to the kind of feeling and relationship that DD had with Harry.

Also, the fact that Harry is thinking so many things while possessed by Voldemort in that moment was not bringing the right impression. Harry wasn't really fighting LV he wanted to die and to join with Sirius, it was the feeling of love that made instantly for LV to let go, so having it being a struggle diminishes the power of love. It does show Harry is a strong person, yet... ALSO, the fact that he says to LV that he pitties him for not having real friends is a thought from the HBP, and it is Dumbledore that puts it into words (after he shows Ogden's memories to Harry).

THe Cho thing wasn't of my liking either.

The scene where LV and DD duel are great, specially when LV is wrapped in the water cocoon. The breaking of the Fountain of Brethren was significant, because it stands for a lie that wizards have told themselves, I don't know why didn't they demolish it, even if it was not exactly like in the book. In that part, it was bellatrix saying that you had to mean the cruciatus curse, not LV and she was not exactly scared of Harry she was scared of LV because the prophecy was smashed....

If I just look at it as a movie it just lost the viewer, because they wanted to put there too much in too little time. I would have sat there for a little more time to get things together. Acting and visual effects were great, transitions from one season to another wonderful... they should have done two movies out of this book... See, even the 4th movie was done relatively well considering it was a long book as well. The scene when Harry comes back to Hogwarts with Cedric's body always makes me cry. THat man, the father, wails for the loss of his son so convincingly!!!
Contributor
tjfitz
0 Kudos

I thought the movie was very rushed and disjointed. One poster mentioned the poor editing and I agree, the movie just seemed to jump around from scene to scene.

Yes, they left a lot out and those of us who have read the book knew this going in, however...wow, no locket, no RAB, nothing about the coins and they really didn't mention Hagrad not being at school, they just showed the deserted house.

That being said, I thought the kids did a great job. They have really grown into the roles and have improved so much. I like the fact they had Neville find the Room of Requirement, nice touch. Ron and Hermione where under utilized.

I am a Harris over Gambon fan, he was just so stately, but I'm not sure Harris could have pulled off the battle scene.

All I am sure of is I am glad I read the books and seen the previous films, because without that there is no way you will be able to follow this film. They just took way too much for granted.

Overall, not a bad film but not a great one either.
Frequent Contributor
Luthien
0 Kudos

PotterFan86 wrote:
I thought Sirius dying was very sad, I imagine they had Bellatrix use AK so it was more clear that he was dead.

My only reservation to this statement and the scene in the movie is that, do we really know Sirius is dead? I mean J.K. doesn't mention which spell sends Sirius into the veil, and really no one knows what is behind the veil, or what it does, it is still a 'mystery' she may bring more light onto what it does and what her scene meant in the 7th book, so I would think that the movie using the AK spell kinda messes up the plot line.

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought that in the book, Bellatrix struck Sirius with a spell that had red light, so it was clearly not Avada Kedavra... I could be mistaken...
Frequent Contributor
Solitud
0 Kudos

princesspotter wrote:
i must have certainly dozed off then because i can only recall one lesson..
and it took three times for Harry to overpower Snape for his memories..

But the worst idea of this I found, was when DD made Harry go practice right away with Snape.. and it was still night. and they didnt rush to tend to Mr Weasley and make sure he was still alive.

Mundungus was left out. the Locket was left out.. Mention of RAB was left out.

also disturbing, someone already mentioned was Bellatrix using the AK curse when Sirius went down. the effects on this bothered me, because when the AK curse on Cedric was used.. BOOM... he was dead. But Sirius, although it was brief, fell like he was wounded. and while we like to hope that JKR left out the name of the curse when Sirius went down, the movie clearly used it.

I like the new DD. I liked the old DD better. But this one has done well. In the books though, he is portrayed as having far more patience and was easygoing.

Message Edited by princesspotter on 07-11-2007 06:55 PM

RAB was from Half Blood Prince.

I did like the old DD better too, he did reflect the character. On this movie DD was better performed than in GOF movie.

Do the directors read the books? I know it can't be exactly the same because of time, but they can be a little more true to the story so that it all makes sense, specially in a series.

About Sirius, (in the book) I thought the curse of Bellatrix never actually hit him, he kind of lost balance and fell through. I was a little confused with that scene in the movie, too much light and disappearing people, mostly the disappearing people was what confused me. I always imagined that as if they were shooting laser guns at each other, very fast and, yes, more flashy than your average Star Wars laser "bullet".
Frequent Contributor
potterfreak2
0 Kudos

Luthien wrote:

PotterFan86 wrote:

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought that in the book, Bellatrix struck Sirius with a spell that had red light, so it was clearly not Avada Kedavra... I could be mistaken...

Luthien, Bellatrix did use Avada Kedavra. I saw it again yesterday and I made a point of noticing what spell she used because I thought I had heard 'Rictumsempra' the first time, but after reading a bunch of people on here say that it was Avada Kedavra I wanted to find out for myself.

I just finished rereading OotP last night and now I'm even more disappointed they didn't really have the scene with Harry and Dumbledore after the ministry battle. I think that scene did a lot for Harry and Dumbledore's relationship, and I dont think that was really portrayed in the movie with the scene being so short. I think in the book it brought about a new level of understanding of Dumbledore for Harry and even the other way around kind of too, or we atleast realize that Dumbledore understands and knows a lot more about Harry than we previously knew. I really think that scene helped bring Dumbledore into more of a fatherly light for Harry which I think helped make the death of him at the end of the sixth book that much more emotional, and I dont think the movie really portrayed that well at all.
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

Potterfreak I saw it again too, and paid attention to Bellatrix's words becaue I thought she said Rictusempra too... le sigh, it was AK. But that's gotta be like... I don't know... bad, right? I'm sure there was a real reason JK didn't mention what spell hit Sirius for a reason, and for the movie to do it... I'm hoping JK ok'd it, is all I'm saying.

DD's scene with Harry... if you blink I'm sure you'll miss half of it. Then again, if you recall the scene in the book, DD shows Harry the Prophecy, he apologizes for not making Harry a prefect, Harry realizes that DD sent the Howler...

Well, everyone heard the Prophecy, didn't they? There was no mention of Prefects, and no Howler... so DD's conversation with Harry about Sirius and not looking him in the eyes was all there was left to discuss, wans't it...

It was a Good Movie, just a horrible adaptation...

potterfreak2 wrote:
Luthien, Bellatrix did use Avada Kedavra. I saw it again yesterday and I made a point of noticing what spell she used because I thought I had heard 'Rictumsempra' the first time, but after reading a bunch of people on here say that it was Avada Kedavra I wanted to find out for myself.

I just finished rereading OotP last night and now I'm even more disappointed they didn't really have the scene with Harry and Dumbledore after the ministry battle. I think that scene did a lot for Harry and Dumbledore's relationship, and I dont think that was really portrayed in the movie with the scene being so short. I think in the book it brought about a new level of understanding of Dumbledore for Harry and even the other way around kind of too, or we atleast realize that Dumbledore understands and knows a lot more about Harry than we previously knew. I really think that scene helped bring Dumbledore into more of a fatherly light for Harry which I think helped make the death of him at the end of the sixth book that much more emotional, and I dont think the movie really portrayed that well at all.

I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

My son and I saw the movie on opening day and loved it and no I don't think it overshadowed the book. In fact it makes us more excited for the book to come out.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
tonkshermione
0 Kudos

I think the movie was too short. SS is a 300 page book and the movie was three hours. OOTP is an 870 page book and a 2 hour movie...It doesnt add up...I think the movie was good but the whole 2 hours was taken up by a bunch of five minute scenes.
New User
Valeanayuara
0 Kudos

i loved the movie but im really upset that sirius died so fast! (not that i wanted blood or anything.) it was too short, just like he was sucked into the veil that was it.Other than that id say its the best out of the whole bunch.(time to wait for the half blood prince, and the book =D)
Frequent Contributor
Luthien
0 Kudos

potterfreak2 wrote:

Luthien wrote:

PotterFan86 wrote:

I was referring to the book, not the movie...

Only one couple were still battling, apparently unaware of the new arrival. Harry saw Sirius duck Bellatrix's jet of red light: He was laughing at her. "Come on, you can do better than that!" he yelled, his voice echoing around the cavernous room.
The second jet of light hit him squarely on the chest.

I guess it doesn't say it about the second spell, but since the first spell had a red light, I assumed the second one did as well. But I suppose if it doesn't say, it could have been AK after all.
New User
PotterFan86
0 Kudos

Luthien wrote:

potterfreak2 wrote:

Luthien wrote:

PotterFan86 wrote:

I was referring to the book, not the movie...

Only one couple were still battling, apparently unaware of the new arrival. Harry saw Sirius duck Bellatrix's jet of red light: He was laughing at her. "Come on, you can do better than that!" he yelled, his voice echoing around the cavernous room.
The second jet of light hit him squarely on the chest.

I guess it doesn't say it about the second spell, but since the first spell had a red light, I assumed the second one did as well. But I suppose if it doesn't say, it could have been AK after all.

Or like I said it could very well be that JKR wanted to leave that open since the veil is a mystery and so is the spell Bellatrix, I think we will only find out in the last book, and if she don't mention it, then I guess we should assume, she truely meant him, dead, but I still hold out hope that there is more to the veil then everyone realizes and that Sirius may just be floating around oblivion for all we know, no one ever said tha the veil carries only dead people.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

I hated everything about Sirius's death scene in the movie. For one thing, he wasn't even fighting with Bellatrix. He was fighting someone else (Lucius Malfoy??) and then she gets him out of nowhere with an AK? That really bothered me. It came across as though he died without even getting the chance to try and defend himself. And then he floats slowly through the silvery mist that was supposed to be a veil. I wanted to scream "That's not how it happened!", but I didn't think my friends would appreciate it much.

ConnieK wrote:
For those of you who've seen the movie--what did you think of Sirius's death scene? Was there a veil? It didn't look like a veil to me. He kind of fell backwards and vaporized? What did you see?

~ConnieK, 1 week away

---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
bookluver23
0 Kudos

i just saw the movie. It isn't exactly the Penesieve scene. Harry blocks Snape from entering his mind and instead sees the memory of James torturing Snape when they were younger. There isn't any message of the Pensieve.
The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once.
New User
springbreeze4747
0 Kudos

I just wanted to point out that the things that made me mad weren't what they left out - it was the things that they got WRONG! I don't mean things they changed on purpose, but things that made it seem as if they didn't know what they were doing.
First of all, when flying on broomsticks from Privet Drive to Grimmauld Place, they flew very low and right next to a huge cruise ship! Moody made them fly so high and take many detours so they WOULDN'T BE SPOTTED! Why would they fly next to a ship? Mad-Eye "Constant Vigilance!" Moody would never do that, and it bothered me.
The other thing that just seemed to me like they weren't paying attention was the fact that Fred and George were in the same DADA class at HRH (at least in one scene)! Fred and George are 2 years OLDER than HRH and would not have been in the same class as the others.
Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned this, and I know they did it on purpose, but this is now 2 movies in a row in which they have gotten rid of Dobby and had Neville fill in for him. I love Neville, but I'm sure Dobby will also play some role in the last book, and I didn't like how they got rid of him twice in a row!
New User
Nikki_86
0 Kudos

springbreeze4747 wrote:
Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned this, and I know they did it on purpose, but this is now 2 movies in a row in which they have gotten rid of Dobby and had Neville fill in for him. I love Neville, but I'm sure Dobby will also play some role in the last book, and I didn't like how they got rid of him twice in a row!

I agree. I was disappointed not to see Dobby in the fourth movie and the fifth. The poor thing was dropped of the face of the earth or something. I miss the poor thing.

And to add to the whole sirius/veil thing, I honestly thought he tripped and fell into the veil. I can't remember, I'll have to go back and read what happned. Overall I enjoyed the movie, though when I left the theatre i explained everything they left out or changed to my sisters so they could get a better idea about the story, i did that with every Harry potter movie that came out. But I can't wait for the next book!
Frequent Contributor
killercactus
0 Kudos

I think Trixie using the AK on Sirius in the movie is somewhat of a clue for us about book 7 - Sirius is really dead, end of discussion. JKR will not let them do things in the movies that alter the main plot line - like how Kreacher was in the movie. I heard that originally, Kreacher was going to be cut from the movie, but JKR told them they would be sorry if they did so, so Kreacher was added.

Am I the only person that was disappointed that they missed "Accio Brain!"? That was one of the best parts of the book, I couldn't wait to see it on film. Maybe it will be a deleted scene...

Also, I thought it kinda sucked that Ron, Ginny, Neville and Luna used Skiving Snackboxes to get away from the Inquisitorial Squad. In the book, they hex the crap out of them, Ginny getting Malfoy with the Bat Bogey Hex. In the movie, instead of Ginny using Bat Bogey all the time, she just blows stuff up with Reductor. That kinda sucks too, because I thought Ginny being so accomplished at the Bat Bogey Hex was going to be important in book 7, since they mention it so much. However, if JKR let them cut it from this movie, it probably won't be....
Contributor
bookluver23
0 Kudos

Was is the reducto spell? i couldn't hear. i agree with everything you said. i wanted to see the brains...
The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once.
Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 688 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: