Contributor
erubadhriel
0 Kudos

Re: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - The Movie

I know a few people have touched on this already, and it may not seem like a very huge deal to people who have only watched the movies and have not read the books, but I thought that the character development in the movie was terrible. Obviously, many of the scenes had to be cut out which leaves little room for a characters' true qualities to be expressed, but especially with Harry, I feel that the movie lacked a lot of the emotions that were shown in the book. IMO, one of the last seens, in Dumbledore's office was extremely moving in the book, and in the movie - well, it might as well have not even been there. In the book, Harry is extremely angry and frustrated constantly throughout the summer and his year at school and ends up taking it out a lot on Ron, Hermione, and the rest of his friends (as well as at the end, even with Dumbledore - smashing half of his office to pieces). However, in the movie, he gets a little angry and argues a little bit here and there, but overall is well-tempered. I saw Harry's atitude in the book as being a huge change in his character - a sign as him growing up and realizing his connection to LV, and how much he really is responsible for (the Prophecy). Honestly, in the book it made me cry to see how frustrated he was and how much he has lost. Serius's death was a shock to me and being that he was the only family Harry had left, it is obvious how much it has/will affect him. I feel that the movie really didn't do Harry's feelings much justice and hopefully they'll put more weight on Harry's feelings in the future.

Otherwise, I thought the movie was alright. Definitly no where near the brilliance of the book though, but special effects and whatnot and bringing Hogwarts and the MoM to life was very impressive.
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

I totally hate the fact that they don't stick to the script. What is that about no R.A.B. and no locket. Hello those are main points here. Totally don't get it. I enjoyed the book hundred times better. The kids really know their stuff, 2 thumbs up for their acting and bringing the characters to life. I enjoyed watching them and will continue to buy the films just to see them. Other than that, I say movie makers need to up their following the script if they want movie 6 and 7 to be big hits. They are just not cutting it in my opinion.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Contributor
11Phoenix11
0 Kudos

springbreeze4747 wrote:
I just wanted to point out that the things that made me mad weren't what they left out - it was the things that they got WRONG! I don't mean things they changed on purpose, but things that made it seem as if they didn't know what they were doing.
First of all, when flying on broomsticks from Privet Drive to Grimmauld Place, they flew very low and right next to a huge cruise ship! Moody made them fly so high and take many detours so they WOULDN'T BE SPOTTED! Why would they fly next to a ship? Mad-Eye "Constant Vigilance!" Moody would never do that, and it bothered me.
The other thing that just seemed to me like they weren't paying attention was the fact that Fred and George were in the same DADA class at HRH (at least in one scene)! Fred and George are 2 years OLDER than HRH and would not have been in the same class as the others.

I thought the exact same thing during the broom flight. The whole time I just frowned at the screen thinking "what the heck?".

As for Fred & George though, they weren't in DADA in that scene. It was a huge detention class. It was really hard to tell but they showed F/G's hand bleeding at one point. (although like everything else in this movie it was gone before you could be sure of what you saw)
Well, hope that clarifies things! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

I've heard this too, but as I have YET to find the actual quote where JKR is verified to have said this, I don't believe that anything from the movies can be definitively described as "important".

killercactus wrote:
I heard that originally, Kreacher was going to be cut from the movie, but JKR told them they would be sorry if they did so, so Kreacher was added.

---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

Well RAB isn't officially mentioned until HBP...

But the locket, if it turns out that it is Slytherin's they can always add into a scene of HBP... of coure without Mungdungus I'm a bit worried how that will play out.

dayrenm wrote:
I totally hate the fact that they don't stick to the script. What is that about no R.A.B. and no locket. Hello those are main points here. Totally don't get it. I enjoyed the book hundred times better. The kids really know their stuff, 2 thumbs up for their acting and bringing the characters to life. I enjoyed watching them and will continue to buy the films just to see them. Other than that, I say movie makers need to up their following the script if they want movie 6 and 7 to be big hits. They are just not cutting it in my opinion.

I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
New User
desmondsdilema
0 Kudos

I can't believe you liked the score!!! i thought it was so bizare! it made me feel like i was watching fifel goes west! i wish john williams had done the score!
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I'm not sure to whom you're referring--I said the soundtrack was okay, not my favorite. I really do like the tracks "Fireworks" and "Dolores Umbridge" though.

desmondsdilema wrote:
I can't believe you liked the score!!! i thought it was so bizare! it made me feel like i was watching fifel goes west! i wish john williams had done the score!

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

I know RAB isn't officially mentioned, but JKR has all but admitted that RAB is Regulus. I think he should have had a reference at some point. Or at least show up on the tapestry...

I don't think the movie was horrible. PoA was horrible. This wasn't bad. Not as good as SS, CoS, or GoF. (Yes, I LOVED GoF.) I just think that, for people that don't read the books, the seventh movie is going to have a lot of things that seem like they are coming out of nowhere. I know I can't say that for certain without knowing what's going to happen, but they left out some things that we have been told are important. Don't know how they'll reconcile that in the last two scripts...

Proper-T wrote:
Well RAB isn't officially mentioned until HBP...

But the locket, if it turns out that it is Slytherin's they can always add into a scene of HBP... of coure without Mungdungus I'm a bit worried how that will play out.

---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Frequent Contributor
Svguy13
0 Kudos

I DONT RECOMEND READING harry potter and the order of the phinox then see the movie the movie leaves out so many important deatails like harries dreams the two way mirror serious gave him and the most important the conversation harry has with nearly headless nock about serious coming back as a ghost later on. i hate the director for that i know its one of the longest books but comon an why is nevvile always finding the stuuf i gof he gets the weed thing for the 2nd task an he finds the room of requierment in order of the phinix it was dobby who found them all. omg directors read the boooks an get it right or else not many ppl will come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New User
Ladysparrow24
0 Kudos

I think that this 5th one was great. Well directed, but I was most disappointed with was the fact that they left a lot of stuff out. I dont remember what but I do know that they left a lot out. And what I also missed the most was tht Harry Potter theme music, throughout the movie that was kinda missing. But a great story, and magic was amazing.
Contributor
bookluver23
0 Kudos

i thought not having the theme song in there alot made it alot better cuz it made it more suspensive. since usually, when they play the theme song, something is going to happen. (i don't think i made sense there...)
The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once.
Contributor
Mistress_of_Eternity
0 Kudos

Of course the movies are nothing when one compares to the books, but I did find some aspects of this one I loved. The Death Eaters for one, they were not at all what I expected. Bronze masks reminded me of another series (Kushiel's Legacy, by Jacqueline Carey) where the punisher God wears a hard, bronze mask. Bellatrix was brilliant, and in an evil, sadistic... even insane way, very beautiful. Umbridge was wonderful as well (I mean, I wanted to rip her asunder, but her acting was flawless... she had us wanting to beat her senseless, and only a skilled actor could achieve such reactions).

The special affects and the flying on the DEs part was beautiful, and the actors have overall matured. Of course you have Alan Rickman's incredibly inticing voice in the dungeons... but what they did fail in, was cutting out Snape's Worst Memory. That limits character development and future plot possibilities, especially knowing how important Snape's memories are.
"I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses; I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death." - Professor Severus Snape
New User
ysabella_hplover1992
0 Kudos

I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THIS 5TH MOVIE..
IT WAS WELL DEVELOPED....AND THE SETTINGS..AND CHARACTERS..
WERE TOTALLY AWESOME..

ESPECIALLY DANIEL RADCLIFFE...HIS ALL GROWN-UP ..SHOWING
THE CHARACTERISTIC OF BEING BRAVE...THIS TIME HE GREW STRONGER
AND MORE DEDICATED IN STOPPING THE EVIL THAT VOLDEMORT IS SPREADING..
AT FIRST HE LET VOLDEMORT GET AWAY..BUT NOW THAT VOLDEMORT IS HURTING HIS
FRIENDS AND FAMILY..THAT'S WHERE HARRY DRAW THE LINE....

HE IS WILLING TO FIGHT JUST TO SAVE EVERYONE.

HOW BRAVE..

AND HIS VERY CUTE TOO..AND VERY GOOD ACTOR!!!

LOVE THIS MOVIE..

I ALSO LOVE THE THIRD AND THE FOURTH..

=D
~Ysabella~
Frequent Contributor
halfscripts
0 Kudos

There's the everlasting argument that it's impossible to include a "true" script; that is, one that is completely parallel to the book. A huge chunk of each book is Harry's internal struggles and reasoning, but even trying to include every line from the book would be difficult. I realize this. Naturally, I'm one of the many who have been disappointed by the movies in the past because they've not been true to the book. HOWEVER.

Recently I've come to the conclusion that if they filmmakers only use the movies as a SUPPLEMENTAL device to the books, it would work out much better than trying to follow the books to a T. Part of the reason why I liked Goblet of Fire so much was that even though they cut out a large portion of the book (and tons of important details) it was more action-oriented and seemed to flow far better than Order of the Phoenix. I figure if they would stop trying to get everything in they'd stop failing miserably, because it seems as though their greatest problem is that they're trying to get as many details in as possible and they just end up with a rushed and choppy film. What they need to do for the remaining two books is take both plotlines, determine which things will flow well together between the two books (and in reference back to the other 5) and then build the screenplay around those main plot points, disregarding anything that normal moviegoers won't pick up on anyway and those who've read the book can fill in the rest themselves. That way, you can have more character development and end up with a more well-rounded film.

That was a lot of rambling, I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense :\

Oh, how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying.
Proud B&N Musicseller since 2005!
myspace.com/railroadsounds
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

If there is an IMAX theatre in your city (or nearby) I highly recommend seeing OOTP in IMAX 3-D. Only the 20-minute climax is in 3-D, but wow, it really works.

I thought the movie overall was very good, especially Imelda Staunton as Delores Umbridge. She's scarier than Voldemort if you ask me, but maybe it because she reminds me of a French teacher I had in High School.

-BP
Contributor
jurnee
0 Kudos

We just went this afternoon and was totally blown away!!!!!!! The Thestral scene was breathtaking and truly made the price of the IMAX ticket all the worth!!! Even the Ministry battle, the 3-D effect with the Harry, Luna, Ron, Hermione, Ginny & Neville was unbelievable--one thing I guess could be attributed to the large screen...who would of thought that Dudley actually has a scar in the same place as Harry :smileywink:
Contributor
jurnee
0 Kudos

Have a question if someone could help? The hearing at the MoM in the beginning, does anyone know why some members had red robes and others black? Thanks :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

jurnee wrote:
Have a question if someone could help? The hearing at the MoM in the beginning, does anyone know why some members had red robes and others black? Thanks :smileyhappy:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I remember hearing or reading somewhere that these colors were used in Star Wars as well--red, black and white. They were the colors of the Nazi regime. HKR does draw similar parallels so maybe this color scheme was carried out in the movie to make the same connection.
Frequent Contributor
Jenny20
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed the fifth movie, even though of course it left out many (what I consider important) aspects of the book, like quidditch (and Ron making keeper, and all the tension that brings to the three friends).

And although Daniel Radclife most definitely does NOT look like a fifteen-year-old (or sound like one, for that matter) I really liked him in the movie.

The last twenty minutes held me absolutely SPELLBOUND (no really lame pun intended). All the special effects and the batte scene made me riveted. I thought that was really well done.
Reader 2
Carol67
0 Kudos

I have to say, I liked the movie better the second time I saw it. I think Daniel Radclife did an excellent job. I do agree with another poster earlier that Harry was much angrier & a 'hard to live with teen' than what was portrayed here; but that's not his fault. They would have had to put much more of what happened in the book in the movie.

I really wished there would have been more with the Order. I really like all those characters, Moody, Lupin, Tonks, Kingsley, Sirius. In the final cut they weren't on screen enough to matter.

I was wondering what everyone's opinion of the Dementors compared to "Prisoner of Azkaban"?
Users Online
Currently online:52 members 414 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: