Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
jurnee
0 Kudos

Re: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - The Movie

Carol67 wrote:
I have to say, I liked the movie better the second time I saw it. I think Daniel Radclife did an excellent job. I do agree with another poster earlier that Harry was much angrier & a 'hard to live with teen' than what was portrayed here; but that's not his fault. They would have had to put much more of what happened in the book in the movie.

I really wished there would have been more with the Order. I really like all those characters, Moody, Lupin, Tonks, Kingsley, Sirius. In the final cut they weren't on screen enough to matter.

I was wondering what everyone's opinion of the Dementors compared to "Prisoner of Azkaban"?

Carol, I'm sort of biased since PoA was a favorite of mine, I preferred the Dementor's from PoA greater than OotP.
Frequent Contributor
Robeena
0 Kudos

The movie really disappointed , i think that it would be the best ever !

did anybody catch how sirius head looks like in the fire place ? compare it with the one appears in GOF that was incredible , why they change it i hated that.
and i didnt feel in the movie how much harry gets upset about siruis death as Jo said in the book it was for him as two universe the one with siruis in and the other without... and for god sake where is the theme ? why we didnt hear it

the book was loads better i enjoyed it million times more.

i miss many parts of the story specialy "weasley is our king " and the conversation with nicklous nearly headless neck ,, i think it was very important.
~ Robeena ~
New User
maybeme
0 Kudos

I completely agree that this movie did absolutely no justice to the book. The fifth novel was my personal favorite and to see such a poor adaptation of it was disappointing. Harry by this point was much angrier and upset and had a lot to say but in film he just seemed to look silently angry at people. There was a lot more going on and it is understanding that they couldn't fit all the events into the film but they changed a lot of scenes around. For example I don't think it was Cho who ratted Dumbledore's Army out, it was her friend and she and Harry argue about this. And the scene with the pensive was changed completely; in the film he just looks into snapes mind but in the novel Snape leaves the room to follow Draco and Harry looks into the pensive and watches an entire scene from the point where the students are taking their OWLs to Lily's comments to James.
The Dementors, as someone else mentioned, were different than they were previously- so was the fire scene with Sirius. I think that the director should have kept these the same (things like that don't suddenly change). And where was the great scene where Harry realized that he could have looked into the mirror that Sirius had given him to see if he was being hurt rather than ask kreacher. There was so much more missing like George and Fred's brilliant exit form Hogwart's and Harry asking Lupin and Sirius about his parents through Umbridge's fire.
I think part of the problem of the film is the new director. He did a terrible job at bringing the movie to life; the actor's were just as good as they've been throughout the years. And I put some of the blame on J.K. Rowling herself because as an author of a series that is soo praised by its readers, she should have made sure that one of the most important novels in the series (it's where they all grow) actually reflected the book she wrote. It's a shame that David Yates is set to direct the 6th movie too. I adore the novels and hope that the next two films are more satisfying.
Frequent Contributor
Robeena
0 Kudos

i agree that the whole blame is upon the new director David Yates and am really sorry that he will direct the last two also, and as j.k. rowling as well ; do they not ask her what to do ? or didnt she saw that they cut very important things as the rugules siruis broth. that he is a death eater an so on, and the locket they found in grimmauld place ? thats will descripe many things later. i dont want to spoil it for you pens; but i have no doubt that most of you read the hBp and knows what am talking about.

before i saw Oop i made a list of what i would like to see the most and for my disappointment more than half of it where choped off.
~ Robeena ~
New User
lag10
0 Kudos

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was my favorite book of all time. I was expecting a lot out of the movie. I liked it but the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is still my favorite movie.
New User
brunothepenguin
0 Kudos

APenForYourThoughts wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Pensieve scene will be in the movie, because I've found a few websites saying it's going to be in there, and imdb.com has "Young James Potter", "Young Remus Lupin", "Young Peter Pettigrew", "Young Sirius Black", and "Young Severus Snape" listed as part of the cast. There has also been a lot of speculation as to the significance of that particular scene; luckily, J.K. Rowling is asked by the directors what is important and what isn't so important, so if it is important, I'm sure they left it in the film. I certainly hope it is included, because that was one of my favorite scenes in the book, and I would love to see how they present it onscreen. One week to go!!!

Message Edited by APenForYourThoughts on 07-04-2007 01:37 PM

Actually, they kind of change the pensieve scene in the movie. Instead of Harry peering into a pensieve in Snape's office, Harry sees the scene during Occlumency by countering Snape's penetration spell and and tapping into his memories. I really think the whole pensieve thing was better, but either way the scene was important so they couldn't leave it out!
It's not Adam and Eve, it's Adam and Steve!!
Contributor
books1708
0 Kudos

books better...movie was disappointing...shoulda been longer...the ending credits werent the way it should be...i felt the need to write an angry letter to someone after watching that movie...but the fighting was cool...=)
"His scar had not hurt in nineteen years. All was well." =)
New User
Luna7
0 Kudos

I have felt that previous movies started out true to the books, but with each subsequent movie, they get farther and farther from the true essence of the characters and the message that the books have to tell. I was truly disappointed in Order of the Phoenix. I was like watching the Cliff Notes version of HP. All the flavor was gone, it was Harry Potter Lite. I think they do a great job of casting, but ever since Chris Columbus left, it's as if those making the movies haven't even read the book, much less the book that follows it. I hope that the BBC will someday do a book a season and do them right. I feel sorry for anyone whose only introduction to the world of HP is through the movies. Let's hope that they get it right for Half Blood Prince. LW
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I'm going to be blunt. The last movie was HORRIBLE. I was unbearably disappointed. They only touched on...basically everything. Percy has been snubbed. Ron has been snubbed. Winky, Dobby, SPEW has been snubbed. Sirius' mirror has been snubbed. And, I don't know HOW the movie will be able to incorporate a mirror into the 7th movie that as far as the movies go, does not even exist?
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
stacielynn
0 Kudos

I was also very disappointed with the movie compared to the book but you have to look at it from the perspective that all movies do no justice to the book. I have seen several movies that were also based on books. They also did no justice for the book.

One that sticks out in my mind as being a good movie compared to the book is "A Walk to Remember". Now that is the way a movie should represent the book.

I have heard a lot of complaints about all of the movies. I am one to complain myself, believe me I am no angel, but we all need to realize that they pick certain things to put into movies so that those people who don't read the books are not totally lost.
StacieLynn

Why does it have to end?

JKR Please write another book series.
New User
ChristynaFunes
0 Kudos

I have to say that i really didnt like the film. So much stuff was changed or left out. I mean it is the darkest Harry Potter movie, so far, but it was not similar to the book in any way, especially Sirius death scene or the department of mysteries. And i would have liked to see some quidditch, its been so long since weve seen it in any of the movies, and ron joined the team, it would have been great seeing ron playing and messing up, hahaha, i really like the quidditch scenes in the book. Lets hope that the next one will be a little better than this one.
Frequent Contributor
acciobrain
0 Kudos

I guess I have mixed feelings about the film. After first watching it I couldn't help but think about how incredibly good it was, but then I found myself wishing that Snape's memory could have been longer, that the Dementor scene at the first part could have been better, that the Quidditch matches in the "Weasley is our King" days could have been included. But I suppose that when watching movies based on books, the key to enjoying them is to not yearn for all the great parts that they don't include, but to focus on all the great parts that they DO include. Sadly, movies will never be an exact replica of their book counterparts, but they can still be thrilling, enjoyable, and a nice way to see books come to life nonetheless.
New User
ALDOUX
0 Kudos

Even when I’d really liked this movie like that “A Movie Effort”. I might to say that it’s very disappointing how so much and so important book stuff is lacking in the plot of the story, they miss the increased darkness of the story and the characters, especially Harry’s inner conflict, all in sake of a child driven movie. This time there is the disadvantage that by the time this movie was in the theaters, many fans do actually know how the whole story ends and therefore the direction the facts must take.
Lets see:Ron’s Quiditch team addition, the struggle of Griffindor and Ron itself until the final game; the whole story of the Order of the Phoenix, past and present; the Pensive scene instead of the defensive spell; the increasing importance of Neville’s character in the story; the Death Eaters battle against Harry and his mates it’s more dangerous and there are more seriously injured than it’s showed; the importance of Snape’s role at the Order’s purposes; Harry’s uncles awareness about the true existence of the magic world and the final encounter of Harry’s magical friends with them at train station. And most important, the extensive and clear Dumbledore’s final explanation to Harry about his nature and purpose. Should I say more?
New User
Melly
0 Kudos

The Movie was great! I loved it! but they cut a lot of stuff that came from the book. The date that Harry and Cho, the interview with Rita Skeeter and a lot more. I just really want to look forward to the date scene but they cut that out :smileysad:
Cool Beans :smileywink:
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 202 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: