Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - The Movie

[ Edited ]
Harry's First Film Foray

Book Cover Image: Title: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Author: J. K. Rowling Buy It In what many critics and fans considered to be an exceptionally faithful adaptation of J. K. Rowling's first Harry Potter adventure, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) introduces all the major characters and brings them from our imaginations onto the screen as they embark upon their many magical adventures.

While director Chris Columbus (Bicentennial Man, Mrs. Doubtfire) is largely true to Rowling's original prose, he includes several riveting special effects to enhance the story. A then-unknown Daniel Radcliffe is instantly engaging as Harry, and loyal pals Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger are brilliantly played by Rupert Grint and Emma Watson.

As a Harry Potter fan, what did you think of this first attempt to bring Rowling's magical world to the silver screen?

Did you rush out to see it in the theater, or did you wait for the DVD release?

Feel free to post your rants, raves, and reflections here!

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-29-2007 09:16 AM

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - The Movie

I always find it a delight to return to this film. It is a more innocent and simpler time. It is full of so much "magic" and by that I mean the magic of discovery and a child's fantasies come true. After reading the HBP and seeing Harry pretty grown up in the Goblet movie, it is refreshing to go back and see Harry as a young, innocent boy again. Even Harry's first encounter with danger is one where he seems so much in control and determined. Harry decides himself to take on the task of protecting the Sorcerer's Stone. It isn't something that fate necessarily forces him into. He succeeds and everything is happily resolved in the end. This is the only fairy tale story in the series. After that everything gets more serious. I think this movie comes the closest to capturing the essence of the original book.
Frequent Contributor
Becs_Aunt
0 Kudos

I didn't read any of the books until I saw SS as a DVD. I just wasn't interested. Foolish me.

Shortly after seeing SS, I started reading the books. That's when I got Bec and her sister into the first movie and remaining books. Mandy just didn't care for it, and Bec wasn't too interested, either. But she knew Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (when she was young, her dad read to her every day). I told her I thought Harry was like Charlie--a good kid, a _good person_ in very bad circumstances. Harry shows his character when he rejects Malfoy's hand and help in telling "good wizards from bad". That's when I fell in love with that character. It was enough to convince Bec, and we've been reading them all since. And watching the movies.

I loved the first movie. It was really magical--JKR's brilliant ideas like Quidditch, butter beer, food that appears out of the table--like nothing I'd seen before.

So, it really was the first movie that got me into the books.
New User
GryffindorGinger
0 Kudos

I LOVE this movie!!!
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:
I always find it a delight to return to this film. It is a more innocent and simpler time. It is full of so much "magic" and by that I mean the magic of discovery and a child's fantasies come true. After reading the HBP and seeing Harry pretty grown up in the Goblet movie, it is refreshing to go back and see Harry as a young, innocent boy again. Even Harry's first encounter with danger is one where he seems so much in control and determined. Harry decides himself to take on the task of protecting the Sorcerer's Stone. It isn't something that fate necessarily forces him into. He succeeds and everything is happily resolved in the end. This is the only fairy tale story in the series. After that everything gets more serious. I think this movie comes the closest to capturing the essence of the original book.

I totally agree, this film is at its best the closest to the book as it gets. I think the producers should stick more to the books. Although the computer animations are great and really bring the books to life.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
New User
ysabella_hplover1992
0 Kudos

haha...i remember the very first harry potter movie....i still remember..i was like 9 years old...i first saw the trailer in the television...and i was like what kind of a dork would watch that movie? pretty stupid...

and my sister's friend, Andrea always tells me about this harry potter movie and book and how she had a crush on Daniel Radcliffe...and i was like okay not interested...

but when i decided to read Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone..i was shocked and surprised of how the book was so awesome and well-written...every page literally amazed me..

i even remember smiling while reading..and my mom looking at me like i'm some kind of crazy...so i would say the movie really fit the description in the books..and the movie is perfectly how i imagined it....

first..i thought it was some kind of wizard, magic movie again..but Harry Potter is way way different..

J.K. Rowling has some great wacky imagination..imagine she thought and made up the whole world harry is in..and the characters...J.K. Rowling is brilliant and awesome!!!

Harry Potter will never be forgotten..the books and movies..will be a legend...

the book really inspired me..to tell you the truth..when i read the book..it's like i enter the world of wizards..like i leave my world and enter harry's adventurous life..every challenge, and obstacles harry encounter..i encounter too..every feeling of success and sacrifice...i felt..just like i'm harry potter myself..

the obstacles and adventures harry faces.in hogwarts...is just like the real world...

we are the same as harry potter...just striving to win and never giving up...even when we are in the brink of danger....every person has a voldemort..we face them with strength and hope just like harry potter does...

with friends and family..

~Ysabella~
Frequent Contributor
valeriefrankel
0 Kudos

We got to visualize everything, which makes a huge difference. ROwling settled the questions like where is Harry's scar and how big precisely is Hagrid. A cathedral was chosen to be THE CASTLE, which permanently lends itsself to the series. Plus it came around the time of book four and the giant boom in merchandising, spinoffs, themed birthday parties...
In short, it marks the point HP went from popular to gigantic.
Valerie Frankel
Author of Henry Potty and the Pet Rock:
An Unauthorized Harry Potter Parody
www.HarryPotterParody.com
Contributor
herbsinger42
0 Kudos

Tragically, there is no way to squeeze all that you can in over 200 pages into less than 90 minutes... which is the average movie length. I must say that the 'flavor' of Hogwarts was delightfully preserved... or developed, I guess I must say.

The ability of special effects open to the film maker today made the film possible-- 20 years ago, it would not have been as incredible an experience... we see the marvelous changing ceiling... the creatures in the green house... the result of a mis-spelled spell as well as a successful spell.

But the most applause must go to Ms. Rowlings... without her magnificent book- her delightful imagination... the film would not have been possible.

My only complaint, and it will continue, no doubt, is that the concept of keeping a film at the length that will be tolerated by a youngster's bottom... instead of inserting intermissions... I'd be ok with it. I'd rather have it all.
You can't stop the signal, Mal.
-Mr. Universe
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 471 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: