Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
0 Kudos

Re: Is the latest book worth reading?

Guess I'm gonna throw my two cents in here as well.

DEFINITELY read the books in order. There is so much that happens in later books that you wouldn't understand without reading the previous books. I don't want to give anything away (especially about OOTP and HBP as they are not released as movies yet) but just trust me...you will NOT understand what is going on in a lot of instances without having read about them first...you'll be lost in a lot of places if you do not have the earlier times to make reference.

I love the movies too, attended opening night midnight premiers and have all the DVDs...but they are NO comparison to the books. They leave SO much out...and I'm not just talking about the subplots (as in S.P.E.W. from GOF)...I'm talking about information such as, for example, the background history of the Maurader's Map. I once loaned my DVD collection to a friend who had never read the books and she had to ask me about so many things. We, who have read the books, never think about all the missing stuff because we HAVE read the books and can fill the missing bits in in our minds.

As for the decline of the quality...well, that is a big NO! If nothing else, the books have gotten better! While the first three were shorter and seemed like they were more action-packed, GOF, OOTP and HBP have tons of action in them, but they also have more drama...which is GREAT!

My advice: Go to your local bookstore or library and get the first six books...not all at once perhaps, but get them in ORDER, lock yourself in your room and begin reading. They are truly magical!
~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

chongkenyeo wrote:
Hello Potter Fans,
I am a big fan of the Harry Potter movies but have never read any of the books. I guess that the quality of the books are declining. Is this true? Also should I start from the beginning of the series (cause of inter-related) or are they stand alone books?

A big Potter Fan,
Ken

We don't stand in line for twelve hours each time a new book comes out just to read junk!

Debbie
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

chongkenyeo wrote:
Hello Potter Fans,
I am a big fan of the Harry Potter movies but have never read any of the books. I guess that the quality of the books are declining. Is this true? Also should I start from the beginning of the series (cause of inter-related) or are they stand alone books?

A big Potter Fan,
Ken

They are stand-alones. I'm noticing as we read CoS that she makes a point in the early chapters to bring new readers up-to-date on what has transpired in the previous book. But it is much better read from the beginning starting with the first book SS. You get to know the characters and see them change and, if you just glimpse at the posts in the other group, you will see that the fun is trying to solve the mystery and all the clues are in the earlier books. Also she builds a magic lexicon and it is best if you pick it up from the reading of the books yourself rather than looking it up in one of the online references.

The first book is very short and delightful. It won't take you long to read it and then you will be up with the group and can read along with us at one book a month. I think you will really enjoy the books immensely especially if you liked the movies.

Nadine
Contributor
jamiely78
0 Kudos

chongkenyeo wrote:
Hello Potter Fans,

A big Potter Fan,
Ken

I have to agree with everyone. The books are SO much better. I saw the movies 1st & only started reading the series, for the 1st time, last week. I am loving the books.
"For attractive lips, speak words of kindness." - Audrey Hepburn
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

Okay I'm sorry but I would have to disagree To Kill a Mockingbird is not a very good book to movie. They loose the whole entire message and make the movie more about Atticus when it is actually about Finch, the only part of the movie that they even give the slightest hint that she is telling the story is in the middle when they need something to fill time so they wont have a gap between scenes. Not only that but instead of explaining that she is tomboyish they make up a scene where she throws a fit about having to wear a dress, that is not even in the book.

It's ok to leave parts of the book out to make the story more adaptable for a movie but come on don't make stuff up. Like in the 3rd Harry Potter movie, where did all the ice come from?? I guess because the dementors make everything feel cold but it was ridiculous the director could have spent a little less time on flowers freezing and used that time he saved to actually have Harry receive the Firebolt at Christmas instead of at the very end of the movie, it was as though they had completely forgot about it and decided that since it was a crucial part of Goblet of Fire to add it in at the last minute. Of all the pieces missing out of that one that really made me stop liking the movies, I don't even bother to watch them for any reason other than there is nothing else to do.
Julie
Frequent Contributor
RebelsLGB
0 Kudos

I too would recomend reading them from the beginning. (if you are not doing anything this weekend, you could read the 1st one quick and then read the rest of the series along with us. We are on the 2nd book right now.)

As for the quality of the books, I actually struggle to get through the 1st one. I find the writing to be a bit childish, especially in the beginning. Just to show, that they are all good, my favorates (in order from my most favorate to leaste is ) book 4, 6, 2, 3, 5, 1.

you will be a little lost if you just pick up the 6th book and start reading, you really should start at the beginning. They are all quick reads. I can read all 6 in a week, and I'm not a fast reader by any means.

Kristen
Contributor
aluna
0 Kudos

Read the books, and read them in order for the full affect. I am going to be honest here for a moment, when Harry Potter first came out, I had no interest whatsoever in reading them b/c I thought it would be some sci fi book that would not hold my interest. Then one of my friends read them and loved them, and so my husband got me the set for Christmas. I decided to give them a shot, and right away I was hooked!! I go to the midnight sellings, and have already preordered my book on Amazon!

For someone who has never read them (and watching the movies does not count) it is hard to explain the amazing job JK does with creating this world that seems so real. The movies are ok, of course they leave stuff out I understand that but many times they leave out crucial parts that help explain the rest of the story, and they leave out information that just helps you connect with the characters more.

As for the books declining in quality, so far from the truth. Getting more complex, yes that is true b/c the characters are growing hence the story line will get more complex as well. I love all the books, and the first time I read OoTP, to me it was the most complex of the series, and the second time I read it I loved it even more b/c I was able to catch all the little things that I missed the first time. I have never read a series that I can read over and over and each time in each book find a clue that I missed. For example, in book one she leaves a clue for book 5, it is just amazing.

I do not know of anyother book that an adult can read side by side with their 10 year old child and each of them love it equally. These books get children to enjoy reading, when before it was boring and just a challenge to them. It helps children keep ahold of thier imagination that sometimes society makes them lose so early.

Ok, so I'm off my soapbox now, and in conclusion, read the books! And if you have children, nieces, nephews, or any child in your family who hasn't read them, read the books with them and introduce them to this wonderful world that has been created and WILL stand the test of time.
Frequent Contributor
maggie21
0 Kudos

Ken...........read the books,start from the 1st and go forward into Harry's world,you won't regret it.The movies are ok,they put a face to the characters,however they don't give you the rich story that is put forth by JKR.She is the master story teller,I never thought i would like them,as an adult,I thought they just would not interest me.Well........I picked up the first book and read to book four because that was all that was available at the time.I hate to admit it,but i've stood in long lines with everyone else waiting to get my copies of books 5 and 6.I've reread them many times,always discovering something new that i've missed.I'm anxiously waiting for the final book to see what she has in store for us,but a little sad knowing thier won't be any more.
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

yes yes yes!!!! the books are soo much better. when the first movie came out i was like well if theres a movie of it whats the point of reading it? well at the time i was in 8th grade and in my reading class we had this thing called accelerated reader (AR), i dont know if u r familiar with it, but basicly u read certain books and take a test over it and u get points for the right answers, well i was short some points and my friend told me that the HP books were good, i was like ok i'll read it just for the points. i started the first one and read like the first ten pages i guess, then i didnt read anymore of it for a few days and since i: 1)couldnt really remeber what was going on in it and 2) hadnt gotten that far along, i decided to start over i read it in like 3 days and i was hooked. i read the second and third ones and took the tests, i couldnt get enough of them. after i had finished those i wanted to read the 4th of course but my school didnt have it in the library yet so i had to buy it, i had already gotten the 3rd for christmas but after buying the 4th i started my collection of the books and they r now some of my most prized possessions. i love the books. like i said they are soo much better than the movies. the movies are good movies, but as far as going along with the books, they fall short. apart from missing key events, u miss out on what harry is thinking, u dont get the full description of the faces ppl make, and the world that the characters live in is so much more realistic then the special effects make it look in the movies.
Julie
Contributor
wachuku_col
0 Kudos

chongkenyeo wrote:
Hello Potter Fans,

A big Potter Fan,
Ken

I can honestly say that I love to read the Harry Potter books. I did not always like the series, when it first hit America I didn't want anything to do with it. But one day I noticed that my sister-in-law had books 1 and 2 and one night I decided to give it a try. Since that faithful night, I have been hooked. Harry Potter is my hobby. My husband couldn't believe how hooked I got. As soon as I finished I went and brought my own hard cover set of Harry Potter books and once a new one comes out, I am out purchasing it.

Most of my co-workers look at me with my books and ask me how can I read those huge books. I explain to them that once you start reading them, it's a very fast and intense read. Once you start it is very hard to put down. That definitely applies to me because I live in Brooklyn NY and while I am taking the train to work in Manhattan, I am reading and sometimes I miss my stop because I refuse to put the books down. I have read the series at least 10 times not including when a new book comes out.

As for the movies, I enjoy watching the movies but I can honestly say that the movies miss a lot of information I think is important for those who do not read the books. My husband watches the movies and refuses to read the books, but he is no Harry Potter movie fan, he watches them with me because he knows how much I love them, but he has no problem asking questions. (we both try to spend that quality time with each other even if it means I am watching NASCAR, which I hate :smileyhappy: but because he loves it I watch it and vice versa) I am able to fill him in on information that was missing from the movies that were in the book. Once I tell him these important factors, he better understands what is happening in the movie. If you are a Harry Potter movie fan then you should be a Harry Potter book fan as well. Books are always better than the movies because there is a lot more detail described. In no way has the quality of the books decline, if anything, they have gotten so much better with a lot more information and detail placed in them.
I LOVE THEM ALL!!!!!
Frequent Contributor
Bookladt
0 Kudos

chongkenyeo wrote:
Hello Potter Fans,

A big Potter Fan,
Ken

Each book could be a stand alone but have so much more meaning and impact when read as part of a whole. I really feel that not only are they well written, but I've been priviledged to see the developement of a good writer into a very fine writer. Rowling's books become more tightly woven and succinct as she goes along.

The movies are fun but do not compare to the books. They have to be taken at face value - no one could make a 2 1/2 hour movie that could contain the depth and complexity in these books - especially the Goblet of Fire and the Order of the Phoenix.
Reader 4
padfootprongs
0 Kudos

I would like to say that you should to read all the books in order but as for the quality of the writing, it seems to have slipped in Half Blood Prince. I feel horrible about saying this but that book was by far the worst in the series. It should have focused more on the situation in the wizarding community and less on whether or not Harry or Ron gets some. Still it was a good book but not compared to the rest of the series.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

padfootprongs wrote:
I would like to say that you should to read all the books in order but as for the quality of the writing, it seems to have slipped in Half Blood Prince. I feel horrible about saying this but that book was by far the worst in the series. It should have focused more on the situation in the wizarding community and less on whether or not Harry or Ron gets some. Still it was a good book but not compared to the rest of the series.

In your opinion, do you really think the quality has slipped or is it the content that you don't like? I would be a terrible judge of that because I liked all of the books and didn't pay attention to the actual writing to compare one to the other. I get so caught up in these stories that I miss a lot of the details until they are brought to my attention. Tha'ts why I get so much out of these boards. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
Bookladt
0 Kudos

padfootprongs wrote:

I feel that it is a matter of perspective as in all things. I enjoyed the last book the best - it seemed to be better written, cleaner and more streamlined. I think JKR's skill as a writer improves with the series and the focus on relationships is so important to teens. Even with all the things going on, raging hormones often outweigh everything else in a teen's life anyway so the focus there is rather realistic. It only slows the story line a little and doesn't keep it from going forward.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Bookladt wrote:

padfootprongs wrote:

I feel that it is a matter of perspective as in all things. I enjoyed the last book the best - it seemed to be better written, cleaner and more streamlined. I think JKR's skill as a writer improves with the series and the focus on relationships is so important to teens. Even with all the things going on, raging hormones often outweigh everything else in a teen's life anyway so the focus there is rather realistic. It only slows the story line a little and doesn't keep it from going forward.

Is it correct that JKR put more focus on the teens' lives intentionally? (That sounds stupid but you know what I mean) I know I heard that somewhere and I agree that it is more realistic. The students are going through seven years at Hogwarts and their relationships with friends are going to expand into romances at some point in a teenager's life. They are growing up in every other way so why not in that way as well?
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

padfootprongs wrote:

im sorry, but u r full of it, and i dont even know wut IT is. HBP is prolly one of the best written books of the series. if u think that the whole book was about ron and harry's raging hormones, ur carzy, and u prolly need to re read the book, that is probably the least mentioned subplot in the book. the only time that it is mentioned is whenever it says that harry was in the library looking up stuff about horcruxes or doing hw, as to explain y hes there with hermione instead of with ron. and then again to give ron a reason to be in a bad mood for a chapter or two. their love lives are only in the book as details in passing, and well placed ones at that. i was really more interested in the harry ginny dean triangle than y tonks hair wasnt bright pink anymore.
Julie
Contributor
tomnoble
0 Kudos

Of course the latest book is worth reading, but in my opinion book five and six had a different flavor than the others that seemed to have lost the spirit of commraderie among Ron and Hermionie and Harry, and their penchant for spirited hijinx, but more concerning are the missed opportunities for suspence and action.

For example in book 5 we know someone dies (it was leaked by JK), then in an unexpected moment early in the book Mrs. Weasly sees her husband dead. But within a paragraph we learn it is merely a bogart. I feel JK could have really filled us with more angst and anxiety many many times but missed the best opportunities. The substance of her stores are still in her books but the delivery is different. In 1-4 it was like JK knew exactly what the reader was thinking as you read the next page!.

tomnoble
"No one can find you, if you are already dead." Albus Dumbledore
Frequent Contributor
meggie
0 Kudos

I have to agree with you. The quality of the books are definitely NOT declining,in fact they get better and better and the movies do leave out important information.
Contributor
LordPotter_RulesAll
0 Kudos

chongkenyeo wrote:
Hello Potter Fans,

A big Potter Fan,
Ken

I would have to completely disagree about the quality of the books declining! If anything, they get better and better with every book. Although I do enjoy the movies, I have to say that they pale in comparison to the books. Plus, they provide way more information about what's going on with Harry than just the movies, especially because there are always altered bits and scenes. If you want to fully understand what happens in the latest book, you would have to read the books from the beginning. Plus that's a huge wait period for the movie to come out so it could definitely hold you over until then!
~* You live. You love. You die. What do these things have in common? We do these things all for an escape into the world of literature...*~
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

Without having (yet) taken time to read through all the response posts...

Hi Ken.
No, I don't think the quality of the books is declining; they are, however, subtly *changing*, somewhat. The books build on each other and become more sophisticated as they go on, and Harry ages. In this latest book, Harry is no longer the 11 year old little boy we first met. He is now a young man, shouldering "a grown wizard's burdens".

I will admit, I personally found book 5, Order of the Phoenix, very difficult to read, as it was rather bleak. But book 6, Half-Blood Prince, completely blew me away- I think it's fairly safe to say it's my favorite book in the series (so far!)

In other words, botton line: if you love the movies, DEFINITELY you should read the books! The movies are good, but there is just so much in the books that, for various reasons, does not make it into the movies.

And yes, read them in order. They *can* stand alone, especially the earlier books, but they will make more sense if read in order.

chongkenyeo wrote:
Hello Potter Fans,

A big Potter Fan,
Ken

Users Online
Currently online:43 members 368 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: