Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Malfoy's Retreat

We see new facets to Draco Malfoy’s character in HBP. He is now involved in more than bullying kids in the halls--he has become a full blown death eater. We also find him crying in the bathroom. And in his big moment, Draco hesitates in front of the brutal task he seemed to want so badly to carry out. Dumbledore says he is not a killer--but is it concience or cowardice? Would he have done it if Snape hadn’t pushed past? Do you feel any sympathy for this kid at all, and if so--why?
Frequent Contributor
Bookladt
0 Kudos

Re: Malfoy's Retreat

rkubie wrote:
We see new facets to Draco Malfoy’s character in HBP. He is now involved in more than bullying kids in the halls--he has become a full blown death eater. We also find him crying in the bathroom. And in his big moment, Draco hesitates in front of the brutal task he seemed to want so badly to carry out. Dumbledore says he is not a killer--but is it concience or cowardice? Would he have done it if Snape hadn’t pushed past? Do you feel any sympathy for this kid at all, and if so--why?

Does anyone else feel that Draco's wealth and the exalted status his father has held for the last few years has been just as detrimental to him as the Dursley's treatment of Dudley? He is not as mature as some of the other students - even Ron - who is the only child we see in depth with a "normal" upbringing in a loving family and who is a little immature is more mature than Draco. The real world is out there and Draco's parents have done a poor job of preparing him for what that entails. He is a product of his environment.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Draco maybe immature do to having been given anything he wants but it could just as well be do to living a sheltered exisitence. Also there are some children that are late bloomers and don't really start to grow up until they have been on there own for a while. Ron is not so much inmature as much as always being compared to other members of the family and trying to make his own niche in life. When he has need to be he seems to act his age.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
As spoiled as Draco is with his wealth and his feelings of superiority to others, I must say that I was at least impressed by Lucius' telling him that he had to get better grades. I think his parents do, to some extent, try to keep him under their thumbs.

The Dursley's treatment of Dudders seems much more permissive in comparison.

Ron doesn't strike me as being immature for his age at all. The only suggestion of it seems to be where girls are concerned, and I think that comes more from lack of experience than anything else. Also, you would expect a younger child of a large family to be a bit less responsible than an eldest child or an only child because there are that many more older people around him to rely upon.

Message Edited by Psychee on 06-07-2007 08:25 PM
Contributor
3Liesl69
0 Kudos

I pity Draco Malfoy more than I have any real sympathy for him. He is a spoiled little rich kid who needs to bully everyone he meets just to get attention. Sometimes it seems that even Pansy, Crabbe, and Goyle are with him because they're afraid of him, not because they truly care about him.

While Draco's parents try to keep him under their thumbs, they have also taught him to be selfish, mean, and prejudiced. His act of superiority shows just how insecure he really is. Draco does not have the curiosity, bravery, or intelligence that Harry, Ron, and Hermione have. Could it be that Draco turns on them so much because he's secretly jealous of them?

Lucius Malfoy tells Draco to get better grades. Does anybody else think that demand only feeds Draco's prejudice toward Hermione even more?

Where has Narcissa Malfoy been all this time? I can only remember reading about her here in HBP. Have I missed some other mention of her previously? Does anyone else believe that Draco would need his mother to be more of a conscience for him, so he could learn to treat others with more consideration? Or is it just too late for that?
3-Liesl-69
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

3Liesl69 wrote:
....While Draco's parents try to keep him under their thumbs, they have also taught him to be selfish, mean, and prejudiced. His act of superiority shows just how insecure he really is. Draco does not have the curiosity, bravery, or intelligence that Harry, Ron, and Hermione have. Could it be that Draco turns on them so much because he's secretly jealous of them?

Yes. I think he is very jealous of them!

Lucius Malfoy tells Draco to get better grades. Does anybody else think that demand only feeds Draco's prejudice toward Hermione even more?

Yes, it does. But his parents wouldn't care about that, as his prejudices are the same as theirs.

Where has Narcissa Malfoy been all this time? I can only remember reading about her here in HBP. Have I missed some other mention of her previously? Does anyone else believe that Draco would need his mother to be more of a conscience for him, so he could learn to treat others with more consideration? Or is it just too late for that?

We saw her once more on the stands at the World Cup.

Narcissa is a member of the "Toujours Pur" Black family, though. We can't expect anything in the way of "conscience" from her.

The best thing we can say about her is that she loves her child, and that might provide Draco with some redeemability...
Contributor
aluna
0 Kudos

Malfoy has been pushed in this direction by his father since the day he was born. His father feed him how improtant being pure blood is as well as how "great" LV is. Throuhgout all the books Malfoy has been mainly just talk, and we have seen that in many situations; however, in this book he is pushed into the next level and I think for the first time he has seen that maybe this is not the best path for him to take. Since he is all talk, when he actually got faced with his task, I think he finally saw that what he is doing will actually hurt people and is not just fun and games.
Contributor
kimmiller1017
0 Kudos

If I had to make a predicition about Draco Malfoy in Book 7. I would have to say he will probably end up seeking out Harry for help. It is obvious in HBP he was in over his head, and didn't realize the repercussions of his actions. Voldemort is only interested in serving his own needs, and makes it painfully obvious to Draco that he will kill his parents if he does not carry out his wishes. So who does Draco turn to? It has to be Harry.
New User
ginnyrocks24
0 Kudos

I think Draco is just starting to grow up, and i agree with you in the fact that he'll probably end up seeking Harry out for help. He realizes that he's out in the real world now, and he's going to get more than detention if he messes up. ESPECIALLY if he messes up on Voldemort's orders. i think he thinks he can do as good a job as his dad, and its partly Lucius's fault for that. Draco's mean, spiteful, predjudiced, and doesn't care about anyone but himself, but he's not a murderer, and he doesnt have the guts to be a Death Eater. I feel sorry for him.
What about you guys? how do u feel about Draco?
Missy :smileyhappy:
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

What an interesting idea, Draco turning to Harry! I can't imagine him trying to behave decently enough to ask! But you make a great point about his feeling that he has to save his parents--if he has nothing else going for him, he is certainly devoted to them.

Rachel
Frequent Contributor
spartan-lover
0 Kudos

To tell u the truth i think he wouldve done it even if Snape hadnt pushed past him.His father is a death eater and hed prob want to make him proud.I kind of do feel sympathetic for malfoy because he probably was scared at first but then not so much because he prob would have done it...
~*HAPPINESS 2DAY IS ONLY A BOOK AWAY*~
Frequent Contributor
spartan-lover
0 Kudos

3Liesl69 wrote:
I pity Draco Malfoy more than I have any real sympathy for him. He is a spoiled little rich kid who needs to bully everyone he meets just to get attention. Sometimes it seems that even Pansy, Crabbe, and Goyle are with him because they're afraid of him, not because they truly care about him.

While Draco's parents try to keep him under their thumbs, they have also taught him to be selfish, mean, and prejudiced. His act of superiority shows just how insecure he really is. Draco does not have the curiosity, bravery, or intelligence that Harry, Ron, and Hermione have. Could it be that Draco turns on them so much because he's secretly jealous of them?

Draco could have turned on HRH because he is jealous, they do get alot of attention and people actually like them.To answer the 2nd question i think it does feed his hatred even more towards hermonie because shes smart and top at everything academic.And where has narcissa malfoy been all along??? Whenever draco is in trouble he says quote "My father will here about this" unquote. does his mother not exist to him?? Or does she exist but he just cares about his father more then her???
~*HAPPINESS 2DAY IS ONLY A BOOK AWAY*~
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

spartan-lover wrote:
....And where has narcissa malfoy been all along??? Whenever draco is in trouble he says quote "My father will here about this" unquote. does his mother not exist to him?? Or does she exist but he just cares about his father more then her???

I believe the reason he mentioned his father in those instances is because his father had been one of the trustees of the school, and after he lost that, he still had a great deal of influence with the Ministry. In other words, Malfoy reminded people about his father in order to threaten them with stuff that Lucius could do to politically hurt them.
Frequent Contributor
Becs_Aunt
0 Kudos

Bec and I have a theory similar to that. We just finished the first book (we read all the others, but never got around to SS) and read that James saved Snape once. We got to thinking that, in the end, Draco would see that his father and LV are evil, that the Death Eater cult is evil, and turn to Harry. I think that Draco will sacrifice himself for Harry, allowing Harry to escape and kill LV.

SS has lots of foreshadowing. Reading it now, after everything else, was revelatory. It was the first time Hermione and Ron told Harry that they would fight beside him--he would not be alone--echoing the end of HBP.

We will all find out in a month!
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

spartan-lover wrote:
To tell u the truth i think he wouldve done it even if Snape hadnt pushed past him.His father is a death eater and hed prob want to make him proud.I kind of do feel sympathetic for malfoy because he probably was scared at first but then not so much because he prob would have done it...

No, Draco would not have killed Dumbledore. Still, I don't like him at all.

------

JK Rowling: Harry is correct in believing that Draco would not have killed Dumbledore, which I think is clear when he starts to lower his wand, when the matter is taken out of his hands.
http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2005/0705-tlc_mugglenet-anelli-2.htm

Dumbledore
http://www.accio-quote.org/themes/dumbledore.htm

What JKR says about her characters
http://www.accio-quote.org/characters.html
Contributor
3Liesl69
0 Kudos

If indeed Draco would turn to Harry for help, would Harry agree to help Draco, especially after all the aggravation Draco caused Harry, Ron, and Hermione these past six years?

If you were Harry, would you agree to help Draco?
3-Liesl-69
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

3Liesl69 wrote:
If indeed Draco would turn to Harry for help, would Harry agree to help Draco, especially after all the aggravation Draco caused Harry, Ron, and Hermione these past six years?

If you were Harry, would you agree to help Draco?

I'd be in a dilemma. I wouldn't want to turn him away but I also wouldn't be keen to trust him. And since I think he would not have lost any of his more abhorrent views about pure bloods and poverty, I wouldn't want him near me, either.
So, I'd probably hand him over to McGonagall and let her protect him. A stay in Azkaban with his dad probably wouldn't hurt, either, assuming that he would be safe there... but one never knows...
Frequent Contributor
Stars_n_Shamrocks
0 Kudos

Draco would only turn to Harry for help as a last resort and VERY reluctantly at that. Part of the problem would be how it was instilled in him that pure blood wizards are better, part of it is also that he may have been raised that to ask for help is a weakness and to never show any weakness. That second part is pure theory, but I believe a plausable one, also in that it would not be uncommon even in our own world.
The fact that he is so worried about his parents has some redeeming quality about it, but I also wonder if could be another case of trying to have some layer of protection around him. It was mentioned above that any time he might be in trouble he mentions telling his dad, and most of the time he has his goons, Crabbe and Goyle (gargoyle?), around to provide the muscle and implicit threat if someone wants to challenge him.

Cheers,
The Leprechaun

_________________________________________________________________________________
Patiently waiting for the Return of Brian Boru and Finn MacCool
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

Stars_n_Shamrocks wrote:
Draco would only turn to Harry for help as a last resort and VERY reluctantly at that. Part of the problem would be how it was instilled in him that pure blood wizards are better, part of it is also that he may have been raised that to ask for help is a weakness and to never show any weakness. That second part is pure theory, but I believe a plausable one, also in that it would not be uncommon even in our own world.
The fact that he is so worried about his parents has some redeeming quality about it, but I also wonder if could be another case of trying to have some layer of protection around him. It was mentioned above that any time he might be in trouble he mentions telling his dad, and most of the time he has his goons, Crabbe and Goyle (gargoyle?), around to provide the muscle and implicit threat if someone wants to challenge him.

Cheers,
The Leprechaun

_________________________________________________________________________________

that makes me wonder what are crabbe n goyles first names? even the teachers call them crabbe n goyle.
Julie
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle
Users Online
Currently online: 19 members 277 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: