Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Prisoner of Azkaban, chapters 1-6

Let's use this space to begin our discussion of POA, from the first chapter, "Owl Post," through chapter six, "Talons and Tea Leaves."
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Prisoner of Azkaban, chapters 1-6

The things that struck me in chapters 1-6 include:

1 - The Pocket Sneakoscope ~ it was lighting up at the Weasleys home.

2 - Poor Harry's continued treatment by the Dursleys

3 - The real rage that Harry exhibited toward Marge & Uncle Vernon

4 - The funny prickling on the back of his neck (page 32) when Harry had the sensation of being watched and saw the gleaming eyes of something big & bulky.

5 - Sirius Black escaping

6 - Cornelius Fudge not being angry with Harry for using magic & putting him up in rooms on Diagon Alley

7 - Harry's wrestling with himself not to spend his money buying things

8 - Harry buys new robes - wonder why he doesn't pass his old ones on to someone else who could use them, perhaps Ginny.

9 - Harry seeing the black dog on the cover of the death omens book

10 - Scabbers looking unwell - thinner & droopy.

11 - Learning about the Azkaban guards

12 - Harry overhearing the Weasleys talking - learning that Black may be coming after him!

13 - Did they think he couldn't look after himself? He'd escaped Lord Voldemort three times; he wasn't completely useless . . . (page 68) Harry's beginning to resent things being kept from him; he also thinks, with the arrogance of youth, that he can handle anything.

14 - Meeting Professor Lupin

15 - The Dementors - the extremely strong affect they have on Harry, and the strong affect they also have on Ginny. While Ginny doesn't suffer as much as Harry, she does seem to suffer more than Ron, Hermoine, Neville, and Professor Lupin. Harry completely passes out & falls off his seat..."Ginny was shaking like mad, though . . ." (page 86)

16 - Chocolate for recovery from the Dementors

17 - Professor Trelawney telling Parvati Patil to beware of a red-headed male.

17 - Professor Trelawney scaring everyone by saying that Harry a death omen in his teacup. When Professor McGonagall states that Trelawney says one student is going to die every year, Lavender comments on the fact that Trelawney was right in saying that Neville was going to break a cup.

18 - Hermoine taking so many classes and talks about Arithmancy class lessons before she's even attended it.

19 - Hermoine disliking Professor Trelawney & Divination so much.

20 - Buckbeak, the Hippogriff, and Malfoy
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
lacalladita
0 Kudos

Re: Prisoner of Azkaban, chapters 1-6: Temper temper...

I was surprised that when Harry becomes angry about what Aunt Marge said about his mom and dad, he blew up the drinking glass she was holding, blew up Aunt Marge, and the cupboard door that contained his school stuff "magically opened". We have seen Ron become really angry at Malfoy for the things he says about his family. But, yet, nothing magically happens--by accident or not. Does Harry have a worse temper than Ron? Does Ron know how to control himself more than Harry? Or is it something else?

On page 26 (paperback), JKR noted "it had been a long time since he'd lost control and made something explode." I cannot remember in Books 1 and 2 that something exploded except for his home at Godric Hollow when his parents died. Are we to infer that there was a time since he has been at the Dursleys that something exploded? Or are we to infer that his home at Godric Hollow didn't blow up as a result of the AK curse backfiring on Voldemort but Harry losing control an he blew up the house after his parents died. Remember when Aunt Petunia didn't want to leave Harry alone while the Dursleys went to the zoo for Dudley's birthday. Harry responded, "I won't blow up the house..."

I wonder...
Frequent Contributor
lacalladita
0 Kudos

Re: Prisoner of Azkaban, chapters 1-6: Things I notices while reading...

The following are things that I have noticed while reading the selected chapters that I want to point out or I am still scratching my head on. All page numbers are from the paperback edition of the book.

*There may be spoilers ahead*

1. The sneakoscope is supposed to go off if untrustworthy people are around (pg. 10). I wonder about the range of the sneakoscope because when Harry placed it down in his room, "...it stood quite still, balanced on its point...". If it has a good range, then it considers the Dursleys trustworthy people.

2. You can start to see Hermione's jealousy of others learning things and having information she doesn't have (pg. 11).

3. Why was Neville's name the first name that popped into Harry's head when Stan from the Knight Bus asked his name (pg. 34)? Why not Seamus, Ron, Dean, etc.?

4. Crookshanks' face was described as "oddly squashed, as though it had run headlong into a brick wall" (pg. 60). Could this be the cat that Mrs. Figg tripped over and broke her leg (pg. 32, SS)?

5. It was the day to leave the Leaky Cauldron to go to Platform 9 3/4 and Harry was "persuading a disgruntled Hedwig to get back into her cage..." (pg. 69). Does Hedwig not want to go to Hogwarts for some reason? Did something happen between then and the night before for her to be pissed off? Or is it as simple as Hedwig not wanting to be cooped up in the cage?

6. Will Harry's prediction from Ron's tea leaves come true (pg. 105)? What trials and suffering and great happiness will happen to Ron?

7. Will Ron's prediction from Harry's tea leaves come true (pg. 105-6)? Will Harry work for the Ministry of Magic?

8. Hermione states that a Divination "lesson was absolute rubbish compared with my Arithmancy class" (pg. 111). I googled Arithmancy and it states that it is Divination based on mathematical equations. What sort of stuff did Hermione "see" in this class?

9. Ron's Uncle Bilius died a day after seeing a death omen (pg. 110). How exactly did he die? What kind of death omen did he see?

10. Buckbeak bowed back to Malfoy and allowed him to touch him (pg. 117). I don't know if this happened because Malfoy did a good job bowing or if Malfoy is really a descent guy deep down.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

PofA, chapters 1-6 - More

Here are a few more things I noticed:

1 - On the Hogwarts Express, the Sneakoscope goes off while Harry's in the compartment with Hermoine, Ron, & Professor Lupin.

2 - Crookshanks

3 - Lupin's snorting in his sleep (?) when Malfoy antagonizes Ron on the train.

4 - No mention of the Sneakoscope going off when the Dementors board the train.

5 - Neville's reaction to the Dementor is similiar to Ron & Hermoine's.

6 - After Trelawney's prediction, Ron asks Harry if he's seen a great black dog, and Ron is upset when Harry replies in the affrimative.

7 - Ron & Hermoine not talking.

8 - The last sentence of Chapter 5 says it all: They reached their familiar, circular dormintory with its five four-poster beds, and Harry, looking around, felt he was home at last. (page 95)
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
maggie21
0 Kudos

Re: PofA, chapters 1-6 - More

I noticed with the recent reread of POA,all the references to scabbers
.How sick he looked after his trip to Egypt,i'm wondering why?I also wondered what he might have done when he was Percy's rat?We get insight also when the trio are in diagon alley,Hermonie needs a pet,Ron needs meds for scabbers,the witch asks what scabbers powers are,i'm wondering why she asked that,any thoughts?
Frequent Contributor
maggie21
0 Kudos

I just LoL when i read about Fred and George Weasley talking about brother Percy.When they are making fun of him and his Head Boy badge.The part especially,when Mr. Weasley gets ministry cars because of Harry and they tell Percy its for him.The part with the little flags with HB on them,just cracks me up.I just love the twins,I think they are very clever and great fun,i hope they are at the end of book 7,I do have my doubts,though. Maggie
Frequent Contributor
carrie680
0 Kudos

lacalladita wrote:
I was surprised that when Harry becomes angry about what Aunt Marge said about his mom and dad, he blew up the drinking glass she was holding, blew up Aunt Marge, and the cupboard door that contained his school stuff "magically opened". We have seen Ron become really angry at Malfoy for the things he says about his family. But, yet, nothing magically happens--by accident or not. Does Harry have a worse temper than Ron? Does Ron know how to control himself more than Harry? Or is it something else?

On page 26 (paperback), JKR noted "it had been a long time since he'd lost control and made something explode." I cannot remember in Books 1 and 2 that something exploded except for his home at Godric Hollow when his parents died. Are we to infer that there was a time since he has been at the Dursleys that something exploded? Or are we to infer that his home at Godric Hollow didn't blow up as a result of the AK curse backfiring on Voldemort but Harry losing control an he blew up the house after his parents died. Remember when Aunt Petunia didn't want to leave Harry alone while the Dursleys went to the zoo for Dudley's birthday. Harry responded, "I won't blow up the house..."

I wonder...

When Hagrid tells Harry he is a wizard in Sorcerer's Stone, he asks him if he's ever done anything he can't explain when his emotions are running high. He remembers turning his teacher's wig blue, re-growing his own hair etc. When JKR writes that, she is commenting on things he had done before he understood his power.
Frequent Contributor
carrie680
0 Kudos

maggie21 wrote:
.How sick he looked after his trip to Egypt,i'm wondering why?I also wondered what he might have done when he was Percy's rat?We get insight also when the trio are in diagon alley,Hermonie needs a pet,Ron needs meds for scabbers,the witch asks what scabbers powers are,i'm wondering why she asked that,any thoughts?

I believe that he finds out that Sirius has escaped and so he knows what his fate will be. As for powers, she has those black rats that can playing the skipping game with their tales, so I guess it isn't unusual for rats to be magical.
Frequent Contributor
lacalladita
0 Kudos

Maybe the witch at the pet store is just use to dealing with magical pets and asked the question since she sells magical rats in her store. But, then again, can't she tell herself if it's a magical rat or not? A question that still bothers me is how did Percy get the rat in the first place.

maggie21 wrote:

Frequent Contributor
dedaviswright
0 Kudos

lacalladita wrote:
Maybe the witch at the pet store is just use to dealing with magical pets and asked the question since she sells magical rats in her store. But, then again, can't she tell herself if it's a magical rat or not? A question that still bothers me is how did Percy get the rat in the first place.

maggie21 wrote:

Thats interesting. I wonder what Crookshanks (sp?) magic powers are?
Frequent Contributor
lacalladita
0 Kudos

I don't know if you read the book or heard this but I will only say (don't want to spoil anything in case you want to figure it out by yourself) that JKR's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them explains Crookshanks.

dedaviswright wrote:

lacalladita wrote:

maggie21 wrote:

Thats interesting. I wonder what Crookshanks (sp?) magic powers are?

Frequent Contributor
lacalladita
0 Kudos

True. But, I also found this quote in POA. And in the other board, someone had mentioned that the AK curse wouldn't blow up the house even if it backfired.

On pg. 179 (paperback), while he is feeling the effects of the dementors during the Gryffindor v. Hufflepuff match and hearing his mom being murdered, JKR writes "Numbing, swirling white mist was filling Harry's brain...What was he doing? Was he flying? He needed to help her... She was going to die... She was going to be murdered..."

Is this being written as Harry, age 13, or Harry, age 1? The Dementors are suppose to make a person relive their worst moments so if that paragraph was being written as part of a memory then it is baby Harry's thoughts and his desire to help his mom who was in danger.

carrie680 wrote:

lacalladita wrote:

When Hagrid tells Harry he is a wizard in Sorcerer's Stone, he asks him if he's ever done anything he can't explain when his emotions are running high. He remembers turning his teacher's wig blue, re-growing his own hair etc. When JKR writes that, she is commenting on things he had done before he understood his power.

Contributor
redwing480
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:

1 - On the Hogwarts Express, the Sneakoscope goes off while Harry's in the compartment with Hermoine, Ron, & Professor Lupin.

2 - Crookshanks

6 - After Trelawney's prediction, Ron asks Harry if he's seen a great black dog, and Ron is upset when Harry replies in the affrimative.

8 - The last sentence of Chapter 5 says it all: They reached their familiar, circular dormintory with its five four-poster beds, and Harry, looking around, felt he was home at last. (page 95)

1. Wasn't Ron's rat scabbers also in the compartment, This would explain twhy the sneakoscope went off.
Frequent Contributor
carrie680
0 Kudos

redwing480 wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:

2 - Crookshanks

1. Wasn't Ron's rat scabbers also in the compartment, This would explain twhy the sneakoscope went off.

That was why I assumed it went off, too.
Frequent Contributor
eve05
0 Kudos

Re: Prisoner of Azkaban, chapters 1-6

LizzieAnn wrote:
The things that struck me in chapters 1-6 include:

2 - ......

(My comments are in blue)

******************spoiler******************
Well, we now know that the Sneakoscope was reacting to the presence of a rat, both figuratively and literally speaking, at the dinner table (in Egypt).
Jo is not misleading us. She gives us the facts but at the same time tells us what the characters are thinking, which certainly can divert us from seeing the true situation. But I don't think she is trying to fool us. She is writing a story and drawing us into it more fully by letting us feel what the characters think and feel. We've come to love Harry and his friends and sometimes, when they're mistaken, I actually wish I could jump into the story and clue them in... :-)
Jo, with her brand of magic, has drawn us in. She's drawn in the whole world. And you don't do that by lying, cheating or fooling people. I'm sorry to see that some of the threads(on this board) are suffering from an epidemic of Polyjuiced characters. Jo has created some very complex, contradictory characters--they're certainly not easy to understand--but perhaps on reflection and discussion, we'll come to understand them better. I'm looking forward to her resolution in Book 7.

Sorry about the diversion... getting back to the Sneakoscope
Jo (through Ron's eyes) gives us a balanced presentation of it: (PoA pg10)

definition: "If there's someone untrustworthy around, it's supposed to light up and spin"--(it's Jo's world)
Bill's interpretation: "rubbish for wizard tourists" -- ( he thinks it's a piece of junk)
Ron's interpretation: works because "Fred and George had put beetles" in Percy's soup -- ( he believes it works but attributes the wrong reason for its warning)
fact: The Sneakoscope lit up at dinner when the whole family was present... presumably Scabbers was there--(it works as defined)

Jo is alerting us that that there is something wrong at that dinner table. She may not tell us what (that would spoil the story), but she's not trying to 'fool' us either... all the facts are there.
It's for us to figure it out... And that's why the 3rd or 4th readings are such fun!

***************end spoiler****************

I have to stop here. Will return on the weekend to continue posting....
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 700 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: