Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Scripts & Editing vs. The Books

So far, 5 of the Harry Potter novels have been adapted for the big screen, with the 5th due to come out on July 11 of this year. Out of necessity for the form, screenwriters and film editors have had to cut scenes from the original novels or do modifications to the story here and there. Which of these changes have you enjoyed, and which have left you frustrated with the film because they were scenes you were sorry not to see dramatized on screen?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
meggie
0 Kudos

HP Movies: What They Leave Out

Everyone probably agrees that the HP movies leave out too much. In GOF they left out Harry winning the prize money and giving it to the Weasley twins. Will they even open up a joke shop in the movies? If I mention everything that the HP movies left out this post will go on forever.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: HP Movies: What They Leave Out

Not only do the movies leave things out, but they also make glaring errors. For example, in the movie PoA, they had Harry using his wand to read at night under the sheets at Privet Drive when we all know that underage magic is not allowed, and all he needed to use was a normal flashlight, anyway.

In that same movie, when Lupin was teaching the class how to fight Bogarts, they show the Bogart turning into a Dementor and then Lupin getting rid of it; later, though, he told Harry that he intervened because he thought the Bogart would turn into Lord Voldemort. Why would he have made that assumption when he had already seen the dementor? They never should have shown the dementor...

What I wonder, though, is if anything left out of the earlier movies will be needed to understand the last movie. JKR has created a very complicated plot, and at this time we have no way of knowing what little facts she has embedded in the sub-plots will be pertinent in the end...

On the positive side, though, the fact that the movies leave so much out has given me a carrot to use in persuading my nephew to drag himself away from his computer games and read the books!
Frequent Contributor
meggie
0 Kudos

Yeah. They might not even be able to have a 7th HP movie because of all the details left out. If they do have a 7th HP movie they might have to change a lot of important details.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I've been thinking that they might need to combine Books 6 and 7 into one movie because Book 6 doesn't have a real ending... it just leaves you hanging...
Contributor
ColieM13
0 Kudos

I know I hated that in the prisoner of askaban they left out the scene on the train where Sirius gives ron an owl and they have the conversation about how hermione found out that Rita Skeeter was an unregistered animagous! A beetle!
~nicole~
Frequent Contributor
RedRoses2
0 Kudos

I think that the only glaring mistake that they made was leaving out the Marauders. But then, J. K. does talk to the directors a lot about what they HAVE to keep. I don't know. But she does leave hints for them, like there were hints that it would be Ron/Hermione since movie two, but not necessarily book two. J. K. Rowling said that all the answers are in book 1, so maybe the fact that the first movie has so MUCH of the book means that we have much of what we need to know already at our disposal so the end will make sense.

Again, I don't know.
CONSTANT VIGILANCE! - Mad-Eye Moody, coolest Auror ever
Frequent Contributor
MsJinx
0 Kudos

JKR did not say that all the answers are in the first book. The JKR interview regarding that is on the HP Lexicon website, I think, and b-a posted it on one of these threads recently. What she said was that she discarded many chapters she had planned to include in the first book, because including them would have given too much away. It's what we DON'T find in PS/SS that would give us all the answers.

RedRoses2 wrote:
I think that the only glaring mistake that they made was leaving out the Marauders. But then, J. K. does talk to the directors a lot about what they HAVE to keep. I don't know. But she does leave hints for them, like there were hints that it would be Ron/Hermione since movie two, but not necessarily book two. J. K. Rowling said that all the answers are in book 1, so maybe the fact that the first movie has so MUCH of the book means that we have much of what we need to know already at our disposal so the end will make sense.

Again, I don't know.

Frequent Contributor
bookworm777
0 Kudos

What the movies leave out isn't near as important as what the movies keep. It's common knowledge that JKR has a huge input into the movies. So, knowing this, she has to have made the directors and screen writers put important things into the movies to help with the details of the last. So let's look at what has stayed the same in the movies as in the books. This may just tell us what details are important to the DH plot and what is not important.
Frequent Contributor
rena64
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bookworm777 wrote:
What the movies leave out isn't near as important as what the movies keep. It's common knowledge that JKR has a huge input into the movies. So, knowing this, she has to have made the directors and screen writers put important things into the movies to help with the details of the last. So let's look at what has stayed the same in the movies as in the books. This may just tell us what details are important to the DH plot and what is not important.

---------------------------
JKR does have a lot of input in the movies. I think it was in the POA movie they wanted to put in a graveyard and JKR said that it can't be in that place because there will be a graveyard somewhere else on the grounds of Hogwarts later on in the books. If they want to do something in the movies that will be a problem later JKR tells them not to do it or she tells them to keep things in that are important.

Message Edited by rena64 on 04-23-200701:18 PM

Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

To answer the joke shop question, I heard that there won't be a Gred and Forge take flight scene with Umbridge in the corridor. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't have a joke shop, but it probably won't be mentioned much. There wasn't enough time for it when they first started. I can imagine what else has been pulled in the recent editing... it's been said they cut even more out of the movie, because there afraid the length will be too long and turn people away. Again they obviously have no idea that a good majority of HP fans would watch the movie even if it took all day.

meggie wrote:
Everyone probably agrees that the HP movies leave out too much. In GOF they left out Harry winning the prize money and giving it to the Weasley twins. Will they even open up a joke shop in the movies? If I mention everything that the HP movies left out this post will go on forever.

I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Frequent Contributor
HPRocksMySocks
0 Kudos

I hate it when my firends think they know Harry Potter when all they have seen is the movies. In GoF, they leave out all of the Winky and Dobby stuff. Also, in the movie they have Neville get the Gillyweed for Harry, when in the book, Dobby did. The movies just make me sooooooooo mad!!! Why can't people just read the books, then they will realize what they have been missing, and how wicked awesome it is!! :smileyhappy:
New User
Daniel_Harry_Freak_101
0 Kudos

They also put too many things in that aren't important. I wish they would put what is in the books and that's that. I can understand if they leave minor things out, but in SS they leave out a LOT.
I ♥ Harry Potter and Daniel Radcliffe
Frequent Contributor
Beladona_took
0 Kudos

I recently saw a new preview of the movie (about 2 1/2 minutes long, it was wonderful!!) and Fred and George are flying over Umbridge on their recently freed brooms. It was a pretty big clip for everything that was covered in the trailer, so I think they will go into it a little more. There are plenty of things that, while I wish were in the movies to link them closer to the books, would be easy enough for a character to explain in a few sentences. I feel the Joke Shop/Triwizard Winnings will be one of those.
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

HPRocksMySocks wrote:
I hate it when my firends think they know Harry Potter when all they have seen is the movies. In GoF, they leave out all of the Winky and Dobby stuff. Also, in the movie they have Neville get the Gillyweed for Harry, when in the book, Dobby did. The movies just make me sooooooooo mad!!! Why can't people just read the books, then they will realize what they have been missing, and how wicked awesome it is!! :smileyhappy:

i completely agree. my mom is one of those ppl who thnks that they know wuts going on because shes seen the movies, or some of the movies she usually falls asleep. but she trys to make jokes (lame "mom" kind of jokes, sometimes shes funny, but only because shes crazy) and she'll try to put in something about HP ad my brother and i have to correct her, its like cummon read the books if ur gonna talk about anytihng having to do with harry.
Julie
Contributor
kam4
0 Kudos

What are you all going on about? So what if they leave things out of the movies.
You all agree that the books are better anyway. And JKR does work very closely
with the screenwriters to make sure that things that advance the story are not
left out of the movies. Don't you enjoy knowing more that those that just watch
the movies?

For all of those unfortunate souls that cannot read (and don't read even though they
can is the same as can't read!) well, they'll never change and they'll always
miss out on large bits of life because they can't read. Leave them be. Enjoy
all of US instead of complaining about THEM. These message boards should have
the respect of time for us - not wasted time on them. Life is so much more
interesting with Harry (yea, I'm totally Pottered!) we hardly have the time to
spend it moaning about the others that simply don't and won't get it.

I'm really interested in how they'll resolve things in movies 5,6 and 7 having left
so much out in the previous ones. Sometimes, I like the way they've done something
in the movie - like Neville giving Harry the gillyweed - since it's Neville that
is so good in herbology - it made sense that he'd be the one to give it to Harry.

There's a lot of things that actually turned out okay in the movie. Didn't anyone
like anything about the movies? If so, which parts - that were totally different
in the books - did make sense to you?
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

kam4 wrote:
What are you all going on about? So what if they leave things out of the movies.
the movies?

For all of those unfortunate souls that cannot read (and don't read even though they

I'm really interested in how they'll resolve things in movies 5,6 and 7 having left
so much out in the previous ones. Sometimes, I like the way they've done something
in the movie - like Neville giving Harry the gillyweed - since it's Neville that
is so good in herbology - it made sense that he'd be the one to give it to Harry.

There's a lot of things that actually turned out okay in the movie. Didn't anyone
like anything about the movies? If so, which parts - that were totally different

well since this is supposed to be a thread on what's left out, then saying what we like about the movies is ridiculous to me. and we go on about how much they ruin the movies because people who only watch the movies walk around like if they know whats going on when they dont, its annoying to anybody who has read the books to argue over something harry related when the person u r argueing with has only ever seen the movie and doesnt have the sense to read the books first. and since the majority of the ppl who go to see the movies have read the books, it gives another reaason for us to get other people to read in stead of just watching. why should we be pleased that somebody has ruined somehting that we all love so much? we should encourage reading more than watching shouldnt we? since in the US we already have such a low literacy rate for a country that is so industrialized you would think that they would discourage them making movie versions of books to begin with, but no, everybody here is too lazy to read, nobody even reads the news paper anymore, they wait until 5 o'clock and watch it on tv.

to me the movies should enhance the readers ideas, not create new ones. i was most excited to see the first movie so that i could better picture the scenery, and be able to put faces to some of the names.

i see it as an insult to my intelligence when somebody who hasnt even read the books, says their opinon on anything about harry potter. so no i do not enjoy knowing more than the rest of them, i would like it alot more if they would all read and know wuts going on before they open their mouths thank you!
Julie
Frequent Contributor
MsJinx
0 Kudos

I agree with you, Julie: I would love to have more people read the books, the better to learn more and have complete ideas (not partial ones from the movie).

This Barnes & Noble group was established to discuss the upcoming BOOK. That's why the talk and ideas are book-based, and knowledge of the details that were in the books and may have been omitted from the movies is vital. And it is tedious to have to fill in the information for those who chose not to read the books. If someone enjoyed the movie enough to want to find a group and talk about it, I would think they would be very curious as to what treasures and information they missed out on, and want very much to find out more.

Now, as to the whole purpose of this thread, and the importance of what was left out of the movies: Does anyone see a pattern or theme of what type of thing is consistently left out? I would have to have the book nearby, remembering chapter by chapter what is missing, since I tend to fill in the missing scenes in my head and confuse what was seen with what I've imagined.

As to why Winky and Dobby were left out of the last film, I can only guess that they weren't crucial to the plot of that particular movie. Since Dobby had been introduced earlier, house elves can be re-introduced when they play a pivotal role.

I can't recall the name of the magazine where I saw the article about what is in/out of OOP (doctor's waiting room, had too short of a time to wait). Has anyone else read anything about it?

jftapia88 wrote:

kam4 wrote:
the movies?

well since this is supposed to be a thread on what's left out, then saying what we like about the movies is ridiculous to me. and we go on about how much they ruin the movies because people who only watch the movies walk around like if they know whats going on when they dont, its annoying to anybody who has read the books to argue over something harry related when the person u r argueing with has only ever seen the movie and doesnt have the sense to read the books first. and since the majority of the ppl who go to see the movies have read the books, it gives another reaason for us to get other people to read in stead of just watching. why should we be pleased that somebody has ruined somehting that we all love so much? we should encourage reading more than watching shouldnt we? since in the US we already have such a low literacy rate for a country that is so industrialized you would think that they would discourage them making movie versions of books to begin with, but no, everybody here is too lazy to read, nobody even reads the news paper anymore, they wait until 5 o'clock and watch it on tv.

to me the movies should enhance the readers ideas, not create new ones. i was most excited to see the first movie so that i could better picture the scenery, and be able to put faces to some of the names.

i see it as an insult to my intelligence when somebody who hasnt even read the books, says their opinon on anything about harry potter. so no i do not enjoy knowing more than the rest of them, i would like it alot more if they would all read and know wuts going on before they open their mouths thank you!

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Its just a thread. I enjoy discussing what's missing from the movies. I find the movies frustrating, so I guess its a place to vent about things. If people can't read, or dont read the books, then maybe they won't know what they're missing and will enjoy it more. But if they can't read or don't read the books, they're probably not on this board, so thus this thread. : )

As for what they leave out, I really wish they'd leave out Dumbledore and get another one. I find the new Dumbledore really out of character with Dumbledore's character in the books.

kam4 wrote:
the movies?

Frequent Contributor
MsJinx
0 Kudos

RE: what is different IN the movie/not in the books that I enjoyed

The addition of McGonagall's dance lessons in GOF,
and the music Lupin played while the students were tacklnig their boggarts. It made the boggart lesson very entertaining and fun.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 1,063 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: