Frequent Contributor
Beladona_took
0 Kudos

Re: HP Movies: What They Leave Out

" ...would have to have the book nearby, remembering chapter by chapter what is missing, since I tend to fill in the missing scenes in my head and confuse what was seen with what I've imagined..."

I totally agree with that! Even when they leave parts out of the movies I don't really notice. I understand that people who don't read the books may not have as much history with the story and the characters as those of us that have read them, but neither those people, nor the bits "missing" from the movie, take anything out of the story to me.
Frequent Contributor
MsJinx
0 Kudos

Contributor
kam4
0 Kudos

I'm really interested in how they'll resolve things in movies 5,6 and 7 having left
so much out in the previous ones. Sometimes, I like the way they've done something
in the movie - like Neville giving Harry the gillyweed - since it's Neville that
is so good in herbology - it made sense that he'd be the one to give it to Harry.

There's a lot of things that actually turned out okay in the movie. Didn't anyone
like anything about the movies? If so, which parts - that were totally different
in the books - did make sense to you?

kam4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well since this is supposed to be a thread on what's left out, then saying what we like about the movies is ridiculous to me. and we go on about how much they ruin the movies because people who only watch the movies walk around like if they know whats going on when they dont, its annoying to anybody who has read the books to argue over something harry related when the person u r argueing with has only ever seen the movie and doesnt have the sense to read the books first. and since the majority of the ppl who go to see the movies have read the books, it gives another reaason for us to get other people to read in stead of just watching. why should we be pleased that somebody has ruined somehting that we all love so much? we should encourage reading more than watching shouldnt we? since in the US we already have such a low literacy rate for a country that is so industrialized you would think that they would discourage them making movie versions of books to begin with, but no, everybody here is too lazy to read, nobody even reads the news paper anymore, they wait until 5 o'clock and watch it on tv.

to me the movies should enhance the readers ideas, not create new ones. i was most excited to see the first movie so that i could better picture the scenery, and be able to put faces to some of the names.

i see it as an insult to my intelligence when somebody who hasnt even read the books, says their opinon on anything about harry potter. so no i do not enjoy knowing more than the rest of them, i would like it alot more if they would all read and know wuts going on before they open their mouths thank you!

Julie
====================================================================================

I think you missed my question. It WAS about what is being left out of movies.
We are all trying to predict what will be left out out movies 5, 6 and 7, based
on what they've left out in 1-4. My movie-only friends all think they know
what's going on too. What I'm saying is that although I've tried to get them to
read the books, they don't have time with their busy lives so they go to the movies
to be entertained. You can't make people read, even if they are your own siblings!
You can try, but people are who they are. Sometimes you luck out and get one or two
to pick up a book. Sometimes, you just have to walk away because they are not worth
your time or energy.

Why should I get upset because they think they know more? I know they don't.
You know they don't. We all know they don't. Why fret about it! It
certainly doesn't insult MY intelligence because they have an opinion on something
they know not much about - it insults theirs - they don't read! The movies give
us enough in common to talk about what they are really missing in the books and I
can still communicate with them without getting upset and perhaps I
can get them to pick up a book or get the audio version so that they can see what
they're missing. Being angry about it doesn't fix it.

I don't believe that JKR believes they ruined the thing we all love so much. Her
books are untouched - the movies are just another medium for us to enjoy. We would
all like it if people knew what's going on before they opened their mouths, but
then we'd have a perfect world, and then what we have to complain about?
Frequent Contributor
RedRoses2
0 Kudos

HPRocksMySocks wrote:
I hate it when my firends think they know Harry Potter when all they have seen is the movies. In GoF, they leave out all of the Winky and Dobby stuff. Also, in the movie they have Neville get the Gillyweed for Harry, when in the book, Dobby did. The movies just make me sooooooooo mad!!! Why can't people just read the books, then they will realize what they have been missing, and how wicked awesome it is!! :smileyhappy:

I actually liked it better that Neville gave him the Gillyweed instead of Dobby. It gives Neville more of a connection with Harry which comes into play in 5 and 6.
CONSTANT VIGILANCE! - Mad-Eye Moody, coolest Auror ever
Contributor
kam4
0 Kudos

Have you all seen the new trailer for the OOTP! Holy cow, it looks as if they
included the scenes about the twins and their fantastic departure from
Hogwarts. Looks like they will also include the thestral ride to the Ministry
and they've managed to include some good humor also. The DA meetings are well
represented as well as the DA rescuing Sirius.

This trailer is much better
than the first, really shows alot of action - there is a war going on!

Check it out!
Frequent Contributor
RedRoses2
0 Kudos

Daniel_Harry_Freak_101 wrote:
They also put too many things in that aren't important. I wish they would put what is in the books and that's that. I can understand if they leave minor things out, but in SS they leave out a LOT.

. . . . Uh, what did they leave out in Sorcerer's Stone? Well, other than Charlie, the trip to the Astronomy Tower, Neville going into the Forbidden Forest, two extra centaurs, and "Mars is bright tonight".

And I just realized that "I Heart Harry Potter and Daniel Radcliffe" wasn't part of your post. LoL That was sort of why I quoted it. I do too.

What I liked that was in the movies and not in the books were these: the dance class (because it shows us more of Neville and his Gryffindor quality - the only boy brave enough to dance first! love it!), the scene where Remus and Harry are talking on that bridge (it looks like a romance scene, almost), the music during the Boggart scene (pity it was omitted from the soundtrack - it was the whole reason I bought it), the way they filled in Winky and added more of Barty Crouch Jr. not acting like Mad-Eye Moody, the Gillyweed scene (as I said earlier - and again, more of Neville and his Gryffindor-ness), the scene where McGonagall, Snape, "Moody", and Dumbledore are discussing what to do about Harry being in the TriWizard Tournament (gives us more insight as to what Dumbledore is thinking and actually giving us more to the question on whether or not Snape is evil), Snape hitting Harry and Ron in the backs of the head (hilarious! loved it!).

What I wished the movies had kept in: the story behind the Marauder's Map and Snape's loathing of Sirius and Remus, Bill and Charlie being at the World Cup, the mentions of Bill and Charlie (why have they just disappeared? Charlie wasn't even mentioned when the dragons for the first task arrived. Hagrid just said "Ron nearly fainted when he saw 'em."), and the fact that Hagrid is a half-giant - I suppose that last one is obvious, even for those who haven't read the book - and last but not least, Harry's interactions with Krum and showing how useless Krum is. I mean, really - he was absolutely useless, and someone managed to sneak up behind him and kill a man when he was supposed to look after the man who had lost his mind. Not Champion quality, really.

What I wished the movie put in that the books don't: more interactions with Cedric!!!! The movie gave, at least me, better insight as to Cedric's character - a perfectly normal boy, similar to the other Hufflepuffs, except for the fact that he is kind, considerate, and loyal. But I thought that it might've been able to manage it a bit better. I wish they didn't put Cho in - I know some people like her, but argh! I can't stand her! Then again, if I had my way, Harry would've been single throughout the entire series because I don't really like the fact that he was dating Ginny, or he would've been starting a relationship with Tonks by now. Also, more screentime for Remus and Sirius. I'd love that. I can't wait until the 5th movie - more of Sirius!
Contributor
kam4
0 Kudos

What I liked that was in the movies and not in the books were these: the dance class (because it shows us more of Neville and his Gryffindor quality - the only boy brave enough to dance first! love it!), the scene where Remus and Harry are talking on that bridge (it looks like a romance scene, almost), the music during the Boggart scene (pity it was omitted from the soundtrack - it was the whole reason I bought it), the way they filled in Winky and added more of Barty Crouch Jr. not acting like Mad-Eye Moody, the Gillyweed scene (as I said earlier - and again, more of Neville and his Gryffindor-ness), the scene where McGonagall, Snape, "Moody", and Dumbledore are discussing what to do about Harry being in the TriWizard Tournament (gives us more insight as to what Dumbledore is thinking and actually giving us more to the question on whether or not Snape is evil), Snape hitting Harry and Ron in the backs of the head (hilarious! loved it!).

What I wished the movies had kept in: the story behind the Marauder's Map and Snape's loathing of Sirius and Remus, Bill and Charlie being at the World Cup, the mentions of Bill and Charlie (why have they just disappeared? Charlie wasn't even mentioned when the dragons for the first task arrived. Hagrid just said "Ron nearly fainted when he saw 'em.", and the fact that Hagrid is a half-giant - I suppose that last one is obvious, even for those who haven't read the book - and last but not least, Harry's interactions with Krum and showing how useless Krum is. I mean, really - he was absolutely useless, and someone managed to sneak up behind him and kill a man when he was supposed to look after the man who had lost his mind. Not Champion quality, really.

What I wished the movie put in that the books don't: more interactions with Cedric!!!! The movie gave, at least me, better insight as to Cedric's character - a perfectly normal boy, similar to the other Hufflepuffs, except for the fact that he is kind, considerate, and loyal. But I thought that it might've been able to manage it a bit better. I wish they didn't put Cho in - I know some people like her, but argh! I can't stand her! Then again, if I had my way, Harry would've been single throughout the entire series because I don't really like the fact that he was dating Ginny, or he would've been starting a relationship with Tonks by now. Also, more screentime for Remus and Sirius. I'd love that. I can't wait until the 5th movie - more of Sirius!

====================================================================================

Great post! I especially like your viewpoints on Krum and Cho - she really turned
out to be a disaster!

Another thing I liked about the movie version was the way Harry received his firebolt.
Because they changed so much of the story in POA, having him receive it at the
end with Buckbeak's feather was pretty good because by then, we were given an
opportunity to get to know and like Sirius.
New User
lestat_16
0 Kudos

harry was doing home work when we saw him on his bed. i think
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote: .....As for what they leave out, I really wish they'd leave out Dumbledore and get another one. I find the new Dumbledore really out of character with Dumbledore's character in the book.

I thought Richard Harris was a PERFECT Dumbledore, and I still see his face in my mind when I re-read the books. He came across with such elderly majesterial kindness and patience. But I agree with you about his replacement Michael Gambon. His rendition of the character seems too neurotic; they have him wringing his hands and looking way too nervous half the time. He's not coming across as someone whose mere presence would calm every one down... But we can't bring the dead back to life... maybe Richard Harris was just so uniquely fitted to the part (I mean, after knowing him in past movies as King Arthur, he was a natural replacement for Dumbledore, and who else could ever do that breathy voice?) that Michael was the best replacement currently available. It was a real hard act to follow...
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting this, I just watched all 3 trailers. It does look exciting. Umbridge doesnt look nearly as mean as she should be.

kam4 wrote:
Have you all seen the new trailer for the OOTP! Holy cow, it looks as if they
included the scenes about the twins and their fantastic departure from
Hogwarts. Looks like they will also include the thestral ride to the Ministry
and they've managed to include some good humor also. The DA meetings are well
represented as well as the DA rescuing Sirius.

This trailer is much better
than the first, really shows alot of action - there is a war going on!

Check it out!

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Someone should inform the suits running the film companies that he sucks and instead of just leaving him in there find a better replacement, its a huge disappointment.

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote: .....As for what they leave out, I really wish they'd leave out Dumbledore and get another one. I find the new Dumbledore really out of character with Dumbledore's character in the book.

I thought Richard Harris was a PERFECT Dumbledore, and I still see his face in my mind when I re-read the books. He came across with such elderly majesterial kindness and patience. But I agree with you about his replacement Michael Gambon. His rendition of the character seems too neurotic; they have him wringing his hands and looking way too nervous half the time. He's not coming across as someone whose mere presence would calm every one down... But we can't bring the dead back to life... maybe Richard Harris was just so uniquely fitted to the part (I mean, after knowing him in past movies as King Arthur, he was a natural replacement for Dumbledore, and who else could ever do that breathy voice?) that Michael was the best replacement currently available. It was a real hard act to follow...

Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Okay, Patty, we elect you. Go get 'em , girl!:smileyhappy:

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Someone should inform the suits running the film companies that he sucks and instead of just leaving him in there find a better replacement, its a huge disappointment.

Psychee wrote:

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Yes, Patty, I elect you, too. Suggest Peter O'Toole for the part.
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I just watched the new trailer and agree Prof. Toad leaves a lot to be desired such as frizzy hair with a pink bow in it. ugly cardigans, and a frog face. And was that Bellatrix in black leather? We might have to start calling her a dominatrixie!
Debbie

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I am not kidding, I am a girl and I'm not an actress and I could make a better Dumbledore IMO. At least I know the character. I read the books outloud to my boyfriend and he thinks I do a better job than that actor lol.

dcsbelle wrote:
Okay, Patty, we elect you. Go get 'em , girl!:smileyhappy:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

Frequent Contributor
Beladona_took
0 Kudos

I agree that Harris was a better Dumbledore, but I think Gambon will bring the aspect that's needed for the coming movies. I think Dumbledore has two very different sides to himself:
The first is kind and sofot-spoken, an authority figure in the father sense, sage like and very wise. Harris portrayed this perfectly.
The second side, however, is wise because of experience more than books, cunning, an authority figure in a more "principle" sense, very strong willed and unwilling to back down from his fights (look at when Umbridge and Fudge try to arrest him in his office in OotP!). Gambon can bring this in a way I don't know I would have seen from Harris.
Dumbledore is very sage-like and a strong father figure in the first two books. Books 3-6 he begins to take on a new characteristic. He becomes more a warrior that has come out of retirement to fight the good fight than a wise head of a school.

More than comparing the two actors, I find it amazing that at the same time the books begin to show a different Dumbledore (the beginning of book 3) we actually see a different (no less great at the portrayal, just different) Dumbledore in the movies. I for one love his performance and think Gambon was a perfect fit.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

One thing I love about the casting is that the Ginny actress looks like a young version of the Lily Potter actress... I was convinced they were mother-daughter until I researched it...
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I might be alone in this but I like the costumes in the movies better than the idea that everyone wears robes like DD. Does anyone have comments about the soundtracks? I loved John Williams' work (he must be my favorite modern composer) but I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the last two soundtracks almost as well. I especially liked the rock songs added to the GOF score of which only snippets made it into the movie.

Message Edited by dcsbelle on 04-26-200705:51 PM

Debbie

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Oh, yes, I agree! I purchased the first soundtrack within a week of seeing the movie and still listen to it on a regular basis. Haven't purchased the others, but was just thinking that I'd like to have a copy of the waltz in GoF...

The costumes in GoF were very special. I was just noticing how great those Durmstrang dress robes were, Harry's tuxedo-type dress robes looked great, and Dumbledore has some pretty special robes as well...The Beauxbatons hats were imaginative, too!
Contributor
kam4
0 Kudos

I agree about the costumes. Gives a great visual when reading the books.

The GOF has to be the best soundtrack. When the music for Cedric's death
plays - takes you right back to the horror of it all and it's emotional!
Users Online
Currently online:15 members 258 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: