Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Beladona_took
0 Kudos

Re: HP Movies: What They Leave Out

I honestly don't recall the scene (it would appear I need to watch them again!), but my assumption would be Thomas Nott. He's a little known character that Rowling has made many scenes for that never made it big in the books, but his family is mentioned a few times. If this becomes of significance in the 7th book, they'll need to lay the ground work in the movies the way she did in the books...
Contributor
Kristaren
0 Kudos

Hum - could be & that makes sense. Thank you Beladona :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I have some sympathy for the movie makers when they have to leave things out due to time constraints. I miss the things they leave out, but provided it isn't essential to the plot, I learn to live with it. Example, in SS-the movie, they left out the whole bit about Hermione solving Snape logic problem with the potions. I missed it, because I loved Hermione's comment (paraphrased from the book) that many capable wizards haven't an ounce of logic. However, since it was just another obstacle to get past, I can live with the fact that it was deleted.

What I really dislike, however, is when they change an element for no apparent reason. Example, in GOF, the book, the Weasleys and Harry sit in the top box with Fudge,Bagman, Winky, Lucius, Narcissa & Draco Malfoy, and the Bulgarian honcho. In GOF, the movie, Harry et al, sat way up in the bleachers by themselves-there was just a brief snotty exchange with Lucius and Draco on the way to their seats. To me, there was no good reason to change this element. Sure, if the Weasley gang and the Malfoy gang were sitting together,there would have been some addition minutes which needed to be devoted to introducing WHY the Weasley's were given the privelege of sitting in the top box etc. But, they could have left out the Winky character, the Narcissa character, the Bagman character, the Bulgarian dude (which they did anyway) and just made it the Malfoys and the Weasleys and Fudge. The snotty little exchange still could have occurred.

The other issue I have with GOF-the movie (which is the worst in terms of changes and ommissions, due no doubt to the length of the book) is they left a hole when it came to Barty Crouch Jr. We knew from Harry's paddle in the pensieve that Barty Crouch Jr. was in Askaban, but because they left out the whole Winky character and that story, we never got a good explanation as to how Barty Crouch Jr. escaped from Askaban, thus enabling him to assume the identity of Mad Eye Moody. At that stage of the game, Sirius was the only prisioner ever known to have escaped from Askaban.

As to JKR, with my box set of the first 3 movie DVD's, there was a supplementary DVD of an interview with JKR and the story writers. She said (paraphrasing) that whenever the writers came to her with a plan to cut something, she would say, yes okay, or no, we'll need that bit later on. So whoever made the comment about if we could figure out what has been deleted,we can assume it has no part in the final resolution of the series, was right on the money. JKR wouldn't let them cut anything with a role through to the end. I think we can safely assume, therefore, thatthe deletion of Rita Skeeter being an unregistered Animagus, although I loved that part of the book, will not have an impact on the end of the series.

While I really miss the left out bits, I still do watch the movies-they're great to watch while ironing. I love the books, I like the movies-I just try to separate them in my mind.

cheers
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Kristaren wrote:
Can someone tell me, in the POA movie, who Malfoy's additional crony is supposed to be? He has his normal Crabbe & Goyle and then an additional skinny kid - where did he come from?? Was he just an additional random addition or did I miss something while reading....?

Apparently Theodore Nott was in the cast, but in the books Nott is not associated with Draco...he prefers to be on his own and never befriended him.

Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
Frequent Contributor
adribetty394
0 Kudos

ok so i have mixed feeligs, but really i find it fun to point out the errors with my friends we have so much fun!Well I must point out that in the Quiditch Cup they didn't show Draco warning/insulting the trio. It shows that he's complicated but has a heart, he wanted Rona and Harry to keep Hermione safe, he isn't stupid. So yeah.. but then again they did add that unwritten scene in front of the shrieking shack . Come on guys that wa golden ; "Do you wanna move closer?...To the shack I mean"
That was a beautiful Ron/Hermione moment , you gotta give em credit.
~*~it's the unknow we fear when we look upon death and darkness~*~
Frequent Contributor
Beladona_took
0 Kudos

You're right, it is Theodore, not Thomas, sorry about that. While the parts Rowling has left in the books do not have Nott associated with Draco, she has written multiple scenes where they are associated. Even though these instances are not in the published works, the mention of the boy and his family are. If she plays this part in some significant way for book 7, then the movies will need to begin the ground work on this character too. Again, I cannot remember the scene from the movie off the top of my head and it may have been just some Slytherin croonie that we're reading too much into. It was just a guess :smileyhappy:
Contributor
Cristina_212
0 Kudos

That is true!! In the GoF they leave out the entire beginning!!My friends just watch some of the movies and they hate them. I tell them the movies leave out a lot of stuff and they need to read the books. They don't listen to me. It makes me mad!!!!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Beladona_took wrote:
You're right, it is Theodore, not Thomas, sorry about that. While the parts Rowling has left in the books do not have Nott associated with Draco, she has written multiple scenes where they are associated. Even though these instances are not in the published works, the mention of the boy and his family are. If she plays this part in some significant way for book 7, then the movies will need to begin the ground work on this character too. Again, I cannot remember the scene from the movie off the top of my head and it may have been just some Slytherin croonie that we're reading too much into. It was just a guess :smileyhappy:

Perhaps you'd like to read this from Rowling's web site:

Malfoy & Nott (Chamber of Secrets/Goblet of Fire)

I liked this scene so much I tried to use it twice; unfortunately, it didn't work in either place so I finally laid it to rest in one of the cardboard boxes where I keep all my old drafts, notes, electricity bills and chewing gum wrappers.

As in the case of Dean Thomas, I know much more about Theodore Nott than has ever appeared in the books. Raised by a very elderly widower and Death Eater father, Theodore is a clever loner who does not feel the need to join gangs, including Malfoy's.

However, in this scene Theodore's father (the same Nott who was badly injured in the closing chapters of 'Order of the Phoenix') goes to visit Lucius Malfoy to discuss Voldemort-related business and we see Draco and Theodore alone in the garden having a talk of their own. I really liked the scene, firstly because it showed the Malfoys' home, and the difference between the place where Draco has grown up and number four, Privet Drive; then because we rarely see Draco talking to anybody he considers a real equal, and he is forced to see Theodore as such, because Theodore is just as pure-blooded as he is, and somewhat cleverer. Together these two Death Eaters' sons discuss Dumbledore's regime at Hogwarts and Harry Potter, with all sorts of stories that the Death Eaters tell about how this baby boy survived the Dark Lord's attack.

Frequent Contributor
adribetty394
0 Kudos

I would have wanted to read that!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah I was going to add that I read JK say that Nott wasn't realy 'involved' with Draco's gang.
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Well, what I meant by "associated" is that he never really hung around Draco and his "gang". It's not surprising that he would have had some sort of a "friendly" relationship- as friendly as you can get with Draco, anyway. I think Draco got along with most everyone in Slytherin, or at least respected them for being in the "right" house.

Message Edited by Madelia on 06-20-2007 11:26 AM

Frequent Contributor
princesspotter
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I too think having the Marauders map background being left out of the movie was just sad.
If I was only a "movie watcher" i wouldnt like being cheated out of the background on the makers of that map...

but, since I HAVE read the books.. I dont get too disappointed with the movies.
they leave loads out, but it still follows the story. just with less detail...

I think movie watchers will discover that Harry gave his Triwizard Winnings to Fred and George when Hermione and Ron find out.. If they bring Rita Skeeter back with Hermione's threat to report her as an Animagus.. i bet it will come up in a conversation with her as a threat..
In the movies.. all they have to do to catch someone up on a left out detail is merely to whip up a conversation about it. pretty simple.

Another big left out...totally different part was in GOF.. with Barty Crouch/Winky/and barty Crouch Jr.. in the movie, Harry doesnt loose his wand. Winky doesnt find the wand.. Harrys wand is not used to conjure the dark mark..Barty Crouch's wife did not take the polyjuice potion to become her son to stand place in Azkaban.. Barty Crouch did not go mad and Krum did not get stunned by anyone near the Forbidden Forest..
lets not even get into Mr Weasley and Clan sitting in the box with the Malfoys and not the very top of the stadium as Lucius teases they would be (per the movie)
Also left out of the movies.....
ludo Bagman.... COMPLETELY left out..
Bill Weasley.. has anyone heard him mentioned at all?? you think they will just whip him up out of anywhere and have his relationship with Fleur after all? get bitten by a werewolf (i know im jumping ahead here with this one...)
Lavender Brown.. Now, I wonder if Ron is gonna have anyone to make out with..

Or as movies can do, just throw them into the movie with no explanation. Voldemort's snake Nagini.. just showed up in the movie. do movie watchers need to know voldemort was drinking "milk" from Nagini to survive?
Would you know that house elfs are in the kitchen making the food "appear" at the waive of DD hands? How about Beauxbatons academy being ACTUALLY co-ed? would they be wearing silk sky blue dresses and extracting little birdies?? how about the veela's being left out at the Quidditch World Cup..??

I could go on forever...........

Message Edited by princesspotter on 06-20-2007 11:51 AM
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Oh jeez...I remember the whole Marauder's Map fiasco... my dad and I were absolutely LIVID when we left the theater after the movie... confused and pissed! I don't see how you could leave something like that out!?

And you make a good point with the last paragraph- some of those things aren't necessarily super important...at least not that avid book readers would know about up until now.

But the whole deal with the Crouches in GoF was something I was confused about as well.

Frequent Contributor
adribetty394
0 Kudos

Yeah actually both Beuxbatons and Drumstrang are co-ed . I just don't undertand WHY they would do that but Alas. Oh but you have to give the movies a little credit I mean, with out Tom Felton EVERYONE would hate Draco. :smileywink:
Ok so other than that, have you seen Tonks in the comercials for OotP? I'm sorry, I love the movies ... but that IS NOT Tonks!
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Hmm, I think those people who are "in love" with Draco feel that way because of Tom, and I admit I was attracted to him at one point as well, but I really love Draco's character and probably still would even if he weren't so good-looking.

Frequent Contributor
princesspotter
0 Kudos

tonks!! oh yeah.. played by the crazy girl from the fight club.. bonham something..
you know who i think will disapoint me the most?? Professor Umbridge... Ive seen her in the trailers.. and i am concerned that i will NOT like how she lives out that character. she didnt look toadlike at ALL....
"concerned..." :::imitating Rita Skeeter(movie Rita):::
Frequent Contributor
princesspotter
0 Kudos

you know, I actually dont like Draco..(actor draco)

well, maybe i should say I do.. Hes played the role so well that i hate him as i should since were all supposed to be on Harry's side.
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

princesspotter wrote:
tonks!! oh yeah.. played by the crazy girl from the fight club.. bonham something..
you know who i think will disapoint me the most?? Professor Umbridge... Ive seen her in the trailers.. and i am concerned that i will NOT like how she lives out that character. she didnt look toadlike at ALL....
"concerned..." :::imitating Rita Skeeter(movie Rita):::

Helena Bonham Carter, Tim Burton's wife. She plays Bellatrix Lestrange in the movies, NOT Tonks.

Tonks is played by Natalia Tena.

Frequent Contributor
adribetty394
0 Kudos

yeah watevr her name is. Where's the spiky bublegum pink hair? Hello? It's long and light purple. And besides she's supposed to be younger then Remus right? Not seeing it! :0
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

adribetty394 wrote:
yeah watevr her name is. Where's the spiky bublegum pink hair? Hello? It's long and light purple. And besides she's supposed to be younger then Remus right? Not seeing it! :0

She is younger than Remus. The actress was born in 1984, making her 23. That's quite a bit younger than Remus.

And I'm sure she changes her hair quite often in the movie- they wouldn't really be able to portray her as a metamorphagus very well if she didn't. I think the set images and official pictures just show her with her purple hair.

Frequent Contributor
adribetty394
0 Kudos

Well that does make snse. Maybe seeing her in action she will seem younger as well. *lets out a breath and tries to calm down*
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 409 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: