Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
JenniG0812
0 Kudos

Re: HP Movies: What They Leave Out

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Its just a thread. I enjoy discussing what's missing from the movies. I find the movies frustrating, so I guess its a place to vent about things. If people can't read, or dont read the books, then maybe they won't know what they're missing and will enjoy it more. But if they can't read or don't read the books, they're probably not on this board, so thus this thread. : )

As for what they leave out, I really wish they'd leave out Dumbledore and get another one. I find the new Dumbledore really out of character with Dumbledore's character in the books.

Patty- me too. I liked the first Dumby in the movies. He seemed a little mor in character. Alas, he passed away. So now we get this corny character. Some of the things he says is just so off the wall. And he is ALWAYS lifting up his robes, like he's about to trip over them. Drives me bonkers!!
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

kam4 wrote: ......There's a lot of things that actually turned out okay in the movie. Didn't anyone like anything about the movies? If so, which parts - that were totally different in the books - did make sense to you?
--------------------------------
Of course I love the movies!!!!!!!
It's so exciting to see the action scenes play out, to hear the voices, and to watch the emotion. To me the movies help me visualize the books. Sure, with the books I have a pretty good picture of what happens, but the movies help clear alot of scenes up. *laughing while remembering the punch Hermione Granger (Emma) gave Draco*
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Something I liked in the Movies...

The music... there is no music in the books, yet the music totally enhances the emotional impact of the story... I love Hedwig's Theme!

Something added: In PoA, when time-turner Hermione looks at herself from the back and says "Is that REALLY how my hair looks from the back?"

In SS? Hermione tell the boys that they could be killed or worse, expelled! In the movie, Ron says "She NEEDS to sort out her priorities!" This was a great line that did not appear in the book...

In PoA... the added scene of the dancing lessons with McGonagall were a hoot.
Contributor
Lady_shay
0 Kudos

Well in the GOF they left out the relationship that Sirius and Harry develope. In the fifth book Sirius dies. I don't think that people who watch the movies will get how important that loss is for Harry. Also when you watch the first movie you just don't get that Harry and Ron don't like hermione. They kept giving her lines that weren't hers.
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

Lady_shay wrote:
Well in the GOF they left out the relationship that Sirius and Harry develope. In the fifth book Sirius dies. I don't think that people who watch the movies will get how important that loss is for Harry. Also when you watch the first movie you just don't get that Harry and Ron don't like hermione. They kept giving her lines that weren't hers.
----------------------------

You are right. And in this movie (OotP) it was said that the film makers wanted to take out a character from the script. I know Rowling said that if they did they would have their hands tied in the seventh movie. That is a perfect example. If you change something too much soon enough you are going mess up.

(P.S. Does anyone here know where I could find that exact quote. I hate paraphrasing and I want to make sure I have my facts straight.)

(P.P.S. I apologize if that is the wrong information.)
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Frequent Contributor
JenniG0812
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
I just watched the new trailer and agree Prof. Toad leaves a lot to be desired such as frizzy hair with a pink bow in it. ugly cardigans, and a frog face. And was that Bellatrix in black leather? We might have to start calling her a dominatrixie!

No kidding!! All she would need is a whip. I found this site on Yahoo.com that has a bunch of clips from the movie. It looks like it will turn out to be a REALLY good movie!
Frequent Contributor
JenniG0812
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:
Oh, yes, I agree! I purchased the first soundtrack within a week of seeing the movie and still listen to it on a regular basis. Haven't purchased the others, but was just thinking that I'd like to have a copy of the waltz in GoF...

The costumes in GoF were very special. I was just noticing how great those Durmstrang dress robes were, Harry's tuxedo-type dress robes looked great, and Dumbledore has some pretty special robes as well...The Beauxbatons hats were imaginative, too!

The hats remind me of an ice cream cone with that little whip thing on the top. I tto have really enjoyed the costumes. I still am trying to figure out on Lupin robes where the robes end and the clothes under it begins? Snpes robes are EXACTLY like they are described in the books. Everytime he walks, they start billowing out behind him. Love it!!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello, all--

Just today, a new HP club, "Harry on Film," has been opened here on the boards that is specifically dedicated to the HP films and their adaptations from the novels.

Find it here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=HarryMonthly

As a consequence, I'm going to lock this thread as "Read Only" tonight and hopefully move the thread to that board in the near future. I've tried to move the thread to the new board this evening, but it won't go, so I may need to ask for help from some of the rest of the crew out back here with me. Until then, please check out the new "Harry on Film" board!

Thank you, & EnJOY!

~ConnieK, "21--wow"

Message Edited by ConnieK on 06-29-2007 08:32 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
BnBookworm
0 Kudos

Re: Scripts & Editing vs. The Books

They tried to dump Kreacher out of OOTP, and JK said, do it, but when you get to movie 7 you'll be tying yourself in knots. she basically told them Kreacher was important in #7!
(I got this info from mugglenet)
Ninety percent of who you are is invisible
Imagination...is a form of seeing
Frequent Contributor
FantasyFan
0 Kudos

From watching a preview it looks like we finally see them in a potions class. I may be wrong but I can't remember seeing them in a potions class in previous movies. That is strange that I never noticed that before and it seems like they are in potions class several time in the books. The class looks cool in the preview though.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

FantasyFan wrote:
From watching a preview it looks like we finally see them in a potions class. I may be wrong but I can't remember seeing them in a potions class in previous movies. That is strange that I never noticed that before and it seems like they are in potions class several time in the books. The class looks cool in the preview though.

We saw them in a potions class in the first movie but they were just getting a lecture by Snape, not making potions.
Frequent Contributor
FantasyFan
0 Kudos

Thanks Psychee, I remember now. Snape was saying something about there new "celebrity" or something. Well of course the set has changed from the first movie but this one doesn't look bad at all.
Contributor
bree
0 Kudos

meggie wrote:
Everyone probably agrees that the HP movies leave out too much. In GOF they left out Harry winning the prize money and giving it to the Weasley twins. Will they even open up a joke shop in the movies? If I mention everything that the HP movies left out this post will go on forever.

Trust me in HP and the OOTP they have like 1/2 of the book out! I had to see the movie 2 times in order to understand it. It left out soooooo much info!
Thanks, Bree
New User
lindab1220
0 Kudos

GeorgeBeahm wrote:
It's really difficult to compress any novel into a screenplay because of time constraints: most movies run 90 minutes, but anything that runs longer becomes an endurance contest for someone sitting in a theater. So you'll find that shorter novels (like Stephen King's novellas of 200 pages) fit nicely within 90 minutes, but Rowling's novels are so long that numerous sub-plots have to be left out; otherwise, the story starts becoming too complicated for some viewers to follow.

Overall, I think all of the Harry Potter movies have been great fun to watch. I especially liked the dark palette of Cuaron. The trailer for the new movie looks spectacular, though, and there's certainl plenty of action to go around!

Things in the Harry Potter universe really heated up with book #5, setting the stage for the final two books.

It's been a great ride, hasn't it? And even after book 7 comes out, well, there's still two more movies to enjoy.

I agree with you on this. Condensing a book down to a script must be a difficult thing to do. I remember seeing an interview with Steve Kloves and JK Rowling on the extra DVD disk with one of the movies. He said that had contacted JK Rowling numerous times and asking her if a certain part of the book was important to show in the movie. She had also commented how he seemed to add things that foreshawdowed future events in later books (I think the one particular thing she mentioned was the budding romantic relationship of Hermoine and Ron).

I originally was a movie-only Potter fan after seeing the first two movies on DVD. Then I started to read the books and fell in love with them. I read Prisoner of Azkaban before seeing the movie and I admit that I look at the movies differently now. I do compare the books from the movies and see what's left out and what's changed. So I decided just to put aside the book for now and look at the movie by itself. Yes this is hard to do, but that's how I deal with it now.

Of course the books are always going to better than the movies. This goes for all books. Books are always going to be more detailed and have numerous sub-plots. They will tell more backstories on characters. They are better because it is a full telling of a story.

Then Hollywood gets it's hands on it. They like the story but they have to condense it down and change things that they believe work better in a movie. They use the book as a guide in terms of the sets and costumes, but ulitmately choose what will look good on the big screen.

So yes I sometimes don't like the changes and things left out that I think are important. But again I try to judge the movie as a movie and not a book. So far I love all the movies - probably Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire the best.
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 530 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: