Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Jhuygut
0 Kudos

The troll incident

I've been confused about the troll incident since I first read it. Hermione is given credit for lieing to get Ron & Harry out of trouble but where would of the issue of been in telling the truth? If Hermione would have said "Harry and Ron came to find me because I was in the bathroom crying when everyone found out about the troll so I didn't know about it." Would anyone have gotten in trouble? I like Hermione but didn't she just lie out of embarassment and not to protect Harry & Ron?
New User
dearseer
0 Kudos

Re: The troll incident

I think Hermione lied only to protect Ron and Harry since they had already been in a bit of trouble. Hermione had only a good reputation as top of her class to worry about, and that was something big for her. So, she did NOT take credit for the troll incident, she took blame.
New User
sunset10
0 Kudos

I always wondered the same thing. All Harry and Ron had to do was tell the truth that they were worried about Hermione and wanted to warn her about the troll and make sure she was okay. I don't know why that would have gotten them into trouble.

My only guess would be since they were only 11 years old, Hermione said it so the blame would be on her and not on the boys. Eleven year olds may not be logical in how adults may react. Just a thought.
Frequent Contributor
dedaviswright
0 Kudos

I believe Hermonie lied to actually gain Harry and Ron's friendship. She realized when they came to rescue her that they cared. Up to that point, she really did not have any friends. By lying, she created a bond between the three that has withstood many mishaps.
Frequent Contributor
KTsMommy
0 Kudos

I agree that she lied in order to gain their trust and show her appreciation for what they did for her in coming back for her. I don't think telling the truth (as she knew it) would have had an adverse affect on the outcome of the situation, but lying let Ron and Harry know that she appreciated that they laid their own necks on the line for her, and that they didn't come back for her out of pity, etc, but because they really cared.
New User
Jettalyn
0 Kudos

I can see how it must have looked -- as though she may have been covering her own embarassment but I think that they were really very worried about losing housepoints and that is sound more admirable if she took the blame. Also, its true, the boys had been in some trouble and Hermione had not been so it was less of a ding if she took the blame.
Granted the boys could have fessed up to the truth and to us it may seem like that still would have been noble enough but in truth in keeping with the characters and their "world" the professors would have only told them that if they knew she was in danger that they should have gotten a teacher and let them handle it. You know the old "better to rescue one than three".
Dunno just some thoughts....
Happy Pottering!
Contributor
potterd
0 Kudos

dedaviswright wrote:
I believe Hermonie lied to actually gain Harry and Ron's friendship. She realized when they came to rescue her that they cared. Up to that point, she really did not have any friends. By lying, she created a bond between the three that has withstood many mishaps.

I agree. When the troll incident happened, their friendship was at a critical point. Harry and Ron had to come help her to show that they cared, and by Hermonie lying, she showed them her concern for their well-being in return. I got the feeling that if she had told the truth, they would have lost faith in her as a trust-worthy friend. The boys would have gotten into trouble for not getting a teacher to help, and Hermonie would have been ostracized even further. The point was not the morality of lying versus telling the truth, but self-sacrifice on both sides to create a bond of friendship.
New User
mamarocks57
0 Kudos

I think that you nailed it on this one, potterd. Their friendship WAS at a critical point, and I think the boys would have gotten into more trouble for not going to get a teacher to help...not to mention that it may have been too late to help Hermione by the time they all got back to the bathroom. I also agree with the statement that someone else above made: that the logic of 11-year olds doesn't always follow or understand that of adults. Hermione made a sacrifice because Ron and Harry were always getting into trouble, so she put herself in their "typical" place, so to speak. I think that action created a stronger bond with the boys, even though we know there was already a bond there because they went there to rescue her.
Contributor
Kathleen1
0 Kudos

dedaviswright wrote:

Excellent point - I agree. This was her opportunity to be more likable.
Contributor
Jhuygut
0 Kudos

Awesome replies, I really like that idea of creating a bond, I hadn't thought of it that way but it really makes a lot of sense. Especially considering the goodie-goodie she came across as.
Reader 2
Blueaccord
0 Kudos

I agree with all of you that this was the point to bond the three characters together. I ran across a quote from J.K. Rowling where she said as much.

"...my editor wanted me to cut the scene in which Harry, Ron and Hermione fight the troll. Although I had accepted most of the smaller cuts I argued hard for this one. Hermione, bless her, is so very annoying in the early part of 'Philospher's Stone' that I really felt that it needed something (literally) huge to bring her together with Harry and Ron"
~~Kristen~~
Will power is easy, it’s the won’t power that gets most of us!
tmf
Reader
tmf
0 Kudos

Hermione overheard Ron say that no one can stand her. When an 11 yr old girl feels nobody likes her, she is devastated (as anyone who has raised a daughter will attest to). By lying, not only did she create a bond w/Harry and Ron, but I think she also hoped to gain some popularity with her peers.
New User
ladydvd
0 Kudos

I agree with the crowd that Hermione wanted to gain the trust and friendship of the boys but I also think they would have gotten in trouble for not getting a teacher first. Any 11 year old knows that and Hermione thought with her stellar student status she could afford the trouble.
Contributor
jamiely78
0 Kudos

I think she lied for a couple of different reasons, as prev posters have pointed out. I think she did it for fear the boys would get in trouble for not getting a teacher & for originally locking the troll in the bathroom. I also think it was her way of showing the boys she had forgiven them for what was said & that they could trust her.
"For attractive lips, speak words of kindness." - Audrey Hepburn
Frequent Contributor
lacalladita
0 Kudos

sunset10 wrote:
I always wondered the same thing. All Harry and Ron had to do was tell the truth that they were worried about Hermione and wanted to warn her about the troll and make sure she was okay. I don't know why that would have gotten them into trouble.

My only guess would be since they were only 11 years old, Hermione said it so the blame would be on her and not on the boys. Eleven year olds may not be logical in how adults may react. Just a thought.

Harry and Ron could have told the teachers about a student not knowing that a troll was loose in the castle and not heading up to her common room. But, they didn't. They decided to take matters into their own hands probably because of guilty. Ron had made fun of Hermione and was the reason she was in the bathroom in the first place. By taking matters into their own hands and not alerting the teachers of the troll's current whereabouts, Harry and Ron could have been in serious trouble.
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 1,089 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: