Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
LynninAnnapolis
0 Kudos

Was Dumbledore a Good Guy or a Bad Guy?

I have a theory that I haven't seen posted before. I got this idea when Dumbledore was killed, and I remebered a line by LV in a previous book which stated something about killing his "faithful servant at Hogwarts." Well, Snape wasn't killed, as to be expected, it was Dumbledore. That made me start thinking...

1. Why in the world would a kindly, warm, intelligent person leave Harry in the care of the Dursleys?
2. Why would Dumbledore allow Harry to go into all of those dangerous situations, such as the TriWizarding contest, searching for Horcruxes, etc.?
3. Isn't there some mention in a previous book about Dumbledore's odd brother? Wasn't his name Amycus? If so, that was the name of one of the Death Eaters present when Dumbledore was killed.

So, if Dumbledore was the "faithful servant" who needed to be killed, then that would make Dumbledore a bad guy, and Snape the good guy. Here are some questions about Snape:

1. Why, exactly, did he save Harry's neck in the quidditch match while Quirrel was trying to kill him? Wouldn't that be kind of silly? Quirrel was housing Voldemort at the time, and if Snape was loyal to Voldemort, wouldn't he just let Voldemort commit his dastardly deed?
2. Why didn't Snape just kidnap Harry at any given time to hand him over to Voldemort?
3. What's up with Snape's name? I saw on Wikipedia several listings for "Severus." Amusingly enough, one of them referenced Severus Snape of Harry Potter fame! What was even more interesting was the reference to Severus Septimius, a Roman Emperor who had something of a murky beginning, and was fairly draconian in his methods. However, he ended up being accepted and regarded as a skilled military leader. I was struck by the name "Severus," obviously, but also "Septimius." Hmmm. Seven. Let's see now, isn't that the number of the next and final book of the series? There is another listing of a church figure in ancient times who seemed to bounce back and forth from pagan to Christina beliefs and allegiances. Well, what do you know? That would also be Severus-esque, I think. I think we have all seen hiddne meanings in the names that JKR has given to her characters. I don't believe that the "Severus" connection can be overlooked.

Now, drat it all, I just don't have hours on end to research the books to prove my theory. If only! I was wondering if anyone might know the answers to these questions off the top of their heads.
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

Re: Was Dumbledore a Good Guy or a Bad Guy?

LynninAnnapolis wrote:
I have a theory that I haven't seen posted before. I got this idea when Dumbledore was killed, and I remebered a line by LV in a previous book which stated something about killing his "faithful servant at Hogwarts." Well, Snape wasn't killed, as to be expected, it was Dumbledore. That made me start thinking...

1. Why in the world would a kindly, warm, intelligent person leave Harry in the care of the Dursleys?
2. Why would Dumbledore allow Harry to go into all of those dangerous situations, such as the TriWizarding contest, searching for Horcruxes, etc.?
3. Isn't there some mention in a previous book about Dumbledore's odd brother? Wasn't his name Amycus? If so, that was the name of one of the Death Eaters present when Dumbledore was killed.

So, if Dumbledore was the "faithful servant" who needed to be killed, then that would make Dumbledore a bad guy, and Snape the good guy. Here are some questions about Snape:

1. Why, exactly, did he save Harry's neck in the quidditch match while Quirrel was trying to kill him? Wouldn't that be kind of silly? Quirrel was housing Voldemort at the time, and if Snape was loyal to Voldemort, wouldn't he just let Voldemort commit his dastardly deed?
2. Why didn't Snape just kidnap Harry at any given time to hand him over to Voldemort?
3. What's up with Snape's name? I saw on Wikipedia several listings for "Severus." Amusingly enough, one of them referenced Severus Snape of Harry Potter fame! What was even more interesting was the reference to Severus Septimius, a Roman Emperor who had something of a murky beginning, and was fairly draconian in his methods. However, he ended up being accepted and regarded as a skilled military leader. I was struck by the name "Severus," obviously, but also "Septimius." Hmmm. Seven. Let's see now, isn't that the number of the next and final book of the series? There is another listing of a church figure in ancient times who seemed to bounce back and forth from pagan to Christina beliefs and allegiances. Well, what do you know? That would also be Severus-esque, I think. I think we have all seen hiddne meanings in the names that JKR has given to her characters. I don't believe that the "Severus" connection can be overlooked.

Now, drat it all, I just don't have hours on end to research the books to prove my theory. If only! I was wondering if anyone might know the answers to these questions off the top of their heads.

Why would voldemort kill his faithful servant at hogwarts? he didnt say that anyway, he said that he was going to kill the one too cowardly to return, Karkaroff-who was found dead in HBP. and the faithful servent was Barty crouch jr. anyway.

1:For harrys protection, harrys mother died to save him, leaving him protection in his blood, his mothers blood, which means he is safe where ever his mothers blood dwells that he can call home. a charm that DD put on harry.

2:He didnt let him do anything, the triwizard tournament harry couldnt get out of, or they, meaning the MoM, wouldnt have let him compete since he was underage-he knew eventually that harry would need to know about the horcruxes in order to defeat voldemort, since harry is the chosen one.

3: Dumbledores brother is named Aberforth, and all evidence shows that he is the barman from the Hogshead in Hogsmead.
Julie
Frequent Contributor
Pugovitz
0 Kudos

::I guess there be Spoilers if you haven't read past book three::

1. Harry had to live with a blood relative for his mother's love spell to work.
2. A wizard wasn't allowed to back out of the Triwizard tournament. By the time they went after the Horcruxes, Dumbledore knew Harry was strong enough to handle the situations, plus he needed more experience.
3. Aberfroth.

1. As stated at the beginning of HBP, Quirrel didn't tell Snape that Voldemort was with him. Snape had a nice teaching job and he was able to stay as a spy in case Voldemort came back.
2. He was a spy for Voldemort at Hogwarts, if he kidnapped Harry he'd be flushed out immediately.
3. I'm just gonna tell a funny tid-bit here. There's a website called conservapedia.com because conservatives think wikipedia is too liberal, haha awesome. Check out the entry for kangaroos.
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

Pugovitz wrote:
::I guess there be Spoilers if you haven't read past book three::

1. Harry had to live with a blood relative for his mother's love spell to work.
2. A wizard wasn't allowed to back out of the Triwizard tournament. By the time they went after the Horcruxes, Dumbledore knew Harry was strong enough to handle the situations, plus he needed more experience.
3. Aberfroth.

1. As stated at the beginning of HBP, Quirrel didn't tell Snape that Voldemort was with him. Snape had a nice teaching job and he was able to stay as a spy in case Voldemort came back.
2. He was a spy for Voldemort at Hogwarts, if he kidnapped Harry he'd be flushed out immediately.
3. I'm just gonna tell a funny tid-bit here. There's a website called conservapedia.com because conservatives think wikipedia is too liberal, haha awesome. Check out the entry for kangaroos.

yea kangaroos, nuthin funny about them on there.
Julie
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 568 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: