Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome!

mvenus929 wrote:
Hey everyone.

For you theory mongers, I finally broke down and decided to join, but I can't promise I'll be really active with school and everything.

For everyone else, hi. I'm Chelle. I've been reading HP since I got into high school... 5 1/2 years ago. Seems like forever. I'm in college and discuss HP quite often. Hope to hear some new insights (as much as I love the insight Debs and Peeves offer :-P).

Chelle

Hi Chelle! Glad you joined us! :smileyvery-happy:
~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Frequent Contributor
KTsMommy
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone! I'm a huge HP fan--don't know how many times I've read the books, but it's been several for each. I was actually going to start a reread of the series soon, so it's perfect that I happened upon these discussion boards. I'm not very familiar with the format of these particular boards, but hopefully I'll get the hang of it. :smileywink:

Oh--and I started reading the books because when I was student teaching a million years ago, my 4th graders were all reading the third book because it had just come out and I HAD to see what all the hype was about--so I have 20 9 years olds to thank for introducing me to these wonderful books :smileywink:

Prizoner of Azkaban was my favorite until Order of the Phoenix came about. Does anyone else have a favorite?
Contributor
redwing480
0 Kudos

Hi, I started reading the Potter series when book two came out. I remember that I kept seeing the first book shelved with the NYT bestsellers, and kept trying to figure out if it was a children's or adults book, at the time children's books were not generally on the NYTB. When COS was released, I bought the paperback of SS (less money) to see what it was all about. Well, that was it, I read it and went out and bought book two hardcover and have pre-ordered ever since, I've also replaced SS with hardcover. I love these books, and have re-read them many times.
Frequent Contributor
KTsMommy
0 Kudos

redwing480 wrote:
Hi, I started reading the Potter series when book two came out. When COS was released, I bought the paperback of SS (less money) to see what it was all about. Well, that was it, I read it and went out and bought book two hardcover and have pre-ordered ever since, I've also replaced SS with hardcover. I love these books, and have re-read them many times.

I have the first two in softcover and all the rest in hardcover too--just couldn't wait that long! :smileywink:
Inspired Contributor
Tasses
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am a little late in joining this board (just got a B&N email about it today), but no matter as I have read SS at least twelve times. Having taught with it for three years (1999-2001) to three classes of sixth grade students each year, having read it before teaching it, and having read it twice just for fun.... I guess I'm safe to move onward with ya'all (I've only read Chamber three times).

I wanted to mention another sad & interesting thought that I haven't seen discussed here.... Each of the three years that I taught with HP contained at least one student who was barred from reading it. My principal left this situation to my discretion, and I usually solved the problem by planning another unit for the student (sent to another classroom - lest he be exposed to the evils of Harry). By 2001, my principal was getting heat from the district about myself & the other reading teacher's covering of HP. She asked that we find a new title. It was a sad day. I have never found, in 10 years of teaching, a novel that MAKES the kids want to read. They'll go along with a dozen or so that I can think of, but I've never again seen them RUN into the classroom and BEG to begin the story. I remember how they moaned if I made them copy vocabualary or concept topics BEFORE I began the tape/reading. It got so bad that I'd start each lesson with a "teaser" just to get them pumped to learn the concepts. And their scores ....well, you can just imagine. The highest score jump & most enthusiasm came from the struggling reader's class. For many of them, this was the FIRST time they'd been able to comprehend a chapter book.

I just wanted to tell my tale. Though it had a bittersweet end, my time spent teaching with Harry was one of the highlights of my career. The movies have corrupted this generation anyway. Hopefully, this generations' children will be fresh .... because I'll wager the HP canon to still be worthy. Lets also hope uninformed misjudgement isn't still following Harry.
See all my reviews at: Reading Rumpus and Many A Quaint & Curious Volume
Contributor
Jhuygut
0 Kudos

Found this a little late but I look forward to participating
New User
fshfan70542
0 Kudos

I, like many of the HP readers, have gone back for a "second" and even "third" helping of HP. I have several of the books loaded on my MP3 player and I listen to them often when I am by myself at my second job. It not only helps the evening pass faster, but it keeps the stories fresh in my mind. Right now I am re-reading OotP to prepare for the movie.

Lisa
New User
Marchand1972
0 Kudos

I also found this a little late...but was looking for something like this for a while. I was currently actually reading HP OoTP for the 3rd time, but will now go back and read the first again.

I am very excited to discuss HP books.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone.

Pam
New User
ALBEMARLE
0 Kudos

I am another avid Harry lover who just joined today and was just wondering what my local schools are doing, if anything, when I spotted your experience and the sad outcome. Getting our kids to be loving , lifelong readers has to be job 1 for all of us. Harry can be a catalyst and I look forward to participating in the club and starting my 4th read through today.

Albemarle
roe
New User
roe
0 Kudos

After reading HBP i found I wasn't as clear on the characters & what was happening in the HP world since it had been so long since I had OOTP. SO I am excited about joining here & rereading from the start again. When DH comes out It will all be fresh in mind again!

Just wanted to comment about the school no longer allowing the book as part of the ciriculum. That is very sad. I have heard of churches & schools banning the series due to its content re Magic, but I have to agree completely with you. This is a series of books who have introduced millions of children to the concept of reading. Kids who never pick up a book, who struggled found something they could call their own. It was ajoy & great introduction to what reading can be. You have children who couldn't or wouldn't read a 50 or 60 page book now totally engrossed in 1000 page novel? Where i sthe harm? But my question was for the parents complaing it was inappropriate weren't there more parents willing to expresstheir thanks for getting their kids to read?

Anyway looking forward to future discussions & am going to have to get cracking on SS so I can be on time for COS.
Reader
JuleSedai
0 Kudos

Hello! I'm a newbie - just discovered the forum today! When I heard that OotP is being released to the theatres on July 13 I realized I needed to start rereading the series AGAIN so I'll be ready =) With all of the conjecture on what IS a clue to the finale and what is just hearsay, it's going to be fun to learn what serious HP fans are thinking.
I started reading the books after CoS was published. SS was given to my daughter as a gift and that got us all hooked! Well, it got my two kids and I hooked. My husband doesn't see any value in the stories but he is a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy who likes Tom Clancy and Louis L'Amour; he's never enjoyed anything in the realm of fantasy including (yes SHOCKING as it is) LOTR. The kids and I have seen the last two films on the IMAX big screen and even though they aren't word-for-word like the books we've enjoyed them immensely!

I'm so glad that B&N is providing this opportunity for HP fans to "meet" and discuss our ideas and thoughts!
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
Sirius Black, to Ron Weasley HPGoF pg525
Contributor
KickedAbyss
0 Kudos

Though the above poster may be related to me, I don't take claim for her strange name! Like wise, I am an avid reader of many book series from Jordan to Zahn. My first real book obsession started in the 5th grade when I discovered the Hobbit on a dusty shelf in my library.

I've been called a TORNado(The One Ring . Net) and a RINGer for my dedication to Tolkien, and even wrote a full AP College Writing paper on Tolkien's writing style and background of the "Grand Father" of Fantasy.

I'm looking forward to reading all of our thoughts combined into a cacophony of ideas and thrilling escapades related to those ideas.

"And now, [friends], let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."

"Surprising what you can dig out of books if you read long enough, isn't it?" -- Rand Al'Thor

Contributor
Quincy06
0 Kudos

Ok well I just joined and I can't wait to start reading the first book again! I have already reread this series at least five times, but that is not enough!!! :smileytongue:
I dont really know how this works...I guess you just read and comment on what you're reading...if I'm wrong please correct me.
Off to my reading!!
Quincy
Reader
metheos
0 Kudos

how do i go about joining this group
New User
sabs
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,
My name is Sabrina AKA Sabs.
I love these books and look forward to the last one. I am excited to be here and to get to know everyone.
Reader 2
Turtle2Hare1
0 Kudos

I am very excited to have found this book club I am glad B&N sent me the email.
I can't remember how many times I have read the HP books I bought a new set of paper back copies so I would not wear out my Hard Backs. I look forward to the discussions.
T2H1
Frequent Contributor
KTsMommy
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing your story, Tasses. I agree with what you said about these kids being jaded by the movies anyway. I can't convince my 12 year old cousin to read these books (and I've been trying for YEARS!) He's just not interested. He saw the movies and wasnt' impressed. I keep telling him the books are a thousand times better than the movies, but he's still not convinced. Ah well, his loss.
Frequent Contributor
mae-V
0 Kudos

Looking forward to actually reading the books. I'd picked up one of the books to read it and found that I couldn't make sense of some of the words, since I'd only ever heard them.

I've had the privilege of seeing two young men become avid readers from haveing begun reading the series. Not just pick up a book and be willing to read but Must Have Two Or More Books Going Of My Own Deep Interest reading. Yes.
#Play tasty!#
New User
poohsbook
0 Kudos

I'm very excited to belong to book club finally! I have the first 3 HP books and now have a reason to dive in and start reading them (in between graduate school work of course.) Looking forward to February's discussion of HP Book 2.
Contributor
Kathleen1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
HELLO! My first experience with the HP series is after my children had 3 of the books. I was hearing about them on the news...remember The warnings about witchcraft being introduced to our children? So I took them with us to the cabin...read Them...no devoured them one right after the other and then went into withdrawal...I needed the next book. As like many of you I received an email from B&N. I am looking forward to this forum.
See you in the post. I'll have to fine a good quote like the others.

Message Edited by Kathleen1 on 01-28-200703:20 PM

Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 775 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: