New User
karruty
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome!

Hi Everybody

I am so looking forward to this book club. I don't know how much I'll be posting (I work full-time and go to school full-time), but I know reading what everyone else says about HP will help me when rereading the books, just in time for the new book to come out.

My oldest and I are Big HP fans, and drive my DH crazy when we talk about HP. My youngest hasn't "seen the light yet" but different strokes for different folks.

Best to everyone, and see you in the funny pages.
"If debugging is the practice of removing problems, than programing must be the practice of adding problems."
Frequent Contributor
pigwidgeon
0 Kudos

Hi! This is my first book club and I'm so excited that the topic is the Harry Potter series. Like many of you, I just received the e-mail from B&N and am joining a little late. I look forward to discussing Sorcerer's Stone, in the few days that are left, and jumping in with Chamber of Secrets. It's so nice to hear that, when it comes to Harry Potter at least, I am not quite as fanatical as I thought. I too catalog and make notes, while endlessly reading and re-reading the series to catch all the bits and pieces that I missed. The strangest part is, I am mainly a non-fiction reader. I have always loved to read, and have read the staple classics of fiction and literary work, but have found myself mostly drawn to non-fiction, until Harry..... (insert mysterious pause)
Contributor
Kathleen1
0 Kudos

regarding the note keeping... Can you imagain the notes and planning out that JKR had to do to prepare for the books?
This looks like a great bunch of people for our book club. Welcome all.
Contributor
leannenodell
0 Kudos

Hi. My name is Leanne. I have read through the series once and am looking forward to reading through it again. I am very anxiously awaiting the new release this summer. Like many of you, I get "withdrawals" after reading the new ones and don't know what I'll do after the final book. I look forward to hearing more excellent discussions.
New User
geekgal32
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! I am so excited about this project.

I originally bought the books on a whim when I was pregnant with my first child in 2001. As the time got near and I was off my feet most of the time I ran out of things to read...reached over and grabbed HP#1 book...the rest as they say was history!

I don't think I moved or slept until I was finished with all the books published at that point...and as a bonus, the first 2 movies were released on my birthday weekends in successive years. My husband came to dread the lightning bolt. :smileyhappy:

As you can probably further guess, my second child's room is completely geeked out in Wizzards and Fairies and all that stuff. So glad to find other adults who appreciate this as literature like I do.
Contributor
mercy
0 Kudos

Hi all,
I just joined the discussion group today but spent the last several days following some of the threads. Some great insights!

I first heard of Harry Potter while my brother was studying abroad (about 1999-2000)and he came home on vacation with a copy of the first and second book. I have been hooked ever since. Everytime a new book comes out, I try to re-read the entire series and time it so that I finish the last chapter of the last book the same day I begin the new release. I know - I'm a card carrying nerd.

I'm looking forward to being part of the group.

Mercy
New User
TinkerBell
0 Kudos

First time book club joiner....and ready to rock with Harry P. I have listened to the unabridged books on tape about 7 times each and, surprisingly, never get bored of listening to them. I look forward to learning more about Harry P. and getting others thoughts on the motivations for some of the characters.
New User
rollingf
0 Kudos

I realize that it is the end of January, so I will read books 1 & 2 right away. While everyone has commented on various scenes, characters, and clues; I think the most important aspect of the HP series is two-fold. First, the series has gotten children to read books, many who were fighting the idea of reading. Second, (and this is a tribute to J. K. Rowling)the first book is about an 11-year old written at the reading level of an 11-year old. The second is about a 12-year old at 12-year old level and so forth.

When I first read the opening pages of book 5, I had a sudden flash back to when I was 15 and that was a long time ago. I, too, felt angry at the world both about anything and nothing. Somehow, she has related Harry to anyone who is at Harry's age. I believe that is why the series is such a well earned success.

For those who are fearful of magic, the books aren't about magic but hard work at studying whether it is reading, writing, or arithmatic; or the various forms of magic.

Rollingf

PS: a rolling F is a cattle brand of three "F" set at 120 degree angles to each other. Yes I do own this cattle brand, part of the great experiment.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Hello to all the new members!

I'm really excited to see how the activity has spiked here (in an already busy discussion), and I can't wait to hear all the new notes and theories!

I'm actually thinking of starting a subject thread on "weird things we do to keep track of our Harry Potter Clues" because I happen to be one of the more clueless readers, and have been very impressed by the descriptions of note card systems and such--I wonder if these could be taught to the rest of us?

Also, if any of you are Mugglenet fans, remember that the hosts will be guests in our "Waiting for Harry" group this next month. They're coming on board February 5th. (Be warned, that group is full of series spoilers!)

And I have a question as we get close to the end of Sorcerer's Stone and start with Chamber of Secrets--Are the books stand alone? Has anyone started in the middle somewhere?

Rachel
Contributor
Kathleen1
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
Hello to all the new members!

I'm really excited to see how the activity has spiked here (in an already busy discussion), and I can't wait to hear all the new notes and theories!

I'm actually thinking of starting a subject thread on "weird things we do to keep track of our Harry Potter Clues" because I happen to be one of the more clueless readers, and have been very impressed by the descriptions of note card systems and such--I wonder if these could be taught to the rest of us?

Also, if any of you are Mugglenet fans, remember that the hosts will be guests in our "Waiting for Harry" group this next month. They're coming on board February 5th. (Be warned, that group is full of series spoilers!)

And I have a question as we get close to the end of Sorcerer's Stone and start with Chamber of Secrets--Are the books stand alone? Has anyone started in the middle somewhere?

Rachel

That question is being discussed in another thread. I think the thread is called "is the newest book worth reading".
New User
ladydvd
0 Kudos

I just found this discussion. I started reading the series when my 21 year old son was 13. We bought the first books as a way to interest him in reading and he really enjoyed them. My 2 daughters (older by 2 and 4 years) also latched onto the books and we now all anxiously await the next book. I cannot believe number 7 is coming out. This will probably be my 3rd or 4th read (don't know for sure) and I enjoy them every time.

Frannie
Contributor
jamiely78
0 Kudos

Hi all!

I think I'm the only person on here who is new to a B&N book club AND the HP series. :-) I have always heard the books were better then the movies (I really liked the movies) but I never bought them. Last weekend one of my friends said I can only go with her to get the new book if I have read all the other books.....so I went & bought the first book on Sunday.

I look forward to discussing the books with everyone!

Jamie
"For attractive lips, speak words of kindness." - Audrey Hepburn
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Welcome Jamie,

It's great to have you here. If you have any questions, just ask.

Rachel
New User
stitcher
0 Kudos

Good morning all. Terrific idea Rachel! I just began re-reading the Harry Potter series (actually listening to the audio books during my commute to work) and am looking forward to this discussion group. This is a first for me... looking forward to it.
Frequent Contributor
Becs_Aunt
0 Kudos

Hello All!
I am excited about particpating in these forums. I've written a few posts so far. My niece (Bec) and I have read all the books, save the first. We are reading that one now (perfect timing!) as we wait for Deathly Hallows and the OOtP movie. She's 11 (and if you'll pardon an aunt's pride--really very smart), but she's been read to her whole life, so she knows a good story (and you don't have to be gifted to do that!!).
I have enjoyed some of the comments and questions so far. Thanks for the insight.

--Linda
Frequent Contributor
zandyr83
0 Kudos

HI all. I am very excited about this book club. I was part of the Divinci Code and His Dark Materials club at BNU. They were fantastic. I just planned on rereading OftP and HBP on my own before DH came out. Then I saw this and was thrilled. I actually was going to wait till the winter break to start, but nows as good as any other time. (I teach Gifted and Talented to elementary students.) I hope to gain a lot of insight.
Zandyr
Contributor
PrincessOrual
0 Kudos

Agreed. This will be fun to reread the books and note all the 'stuff' I should have noticed the first time around.
New User
ronikay
0 Kudos

Hi all!

As with every new HP book release, I always re-read the series so that I am caught up with the story and plot. I realized yesterday that there are only 150 days left until DH arrives and the series (so far) has 162 chapters - which equals about a chapter a day :smileytongue: I am looking forward to jumping in and seeing where the discussions take us.
Contributor
marla4
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Marla. I've read and re-read all the books. Watch the movies. There are difference between the books and the movies. I'll be glad to re-read the books again.
Frequent Contributor
Bookladt
0 Kudos

I am another huge fan - having read all the books more than 5 times. I also have all the books on my IPod and listen to them when I sew or restack library books. I am a children's librarian in an elementary school and get the opportunity to discuss these books with several children on a daily basis. It is a compelling series for many kids - but not for all and I never find it difficult to tell a child that they should like them - especially if they give them chance. I am a little late starting this particular discussion groupbut have been involved in several groups before this and look forward to new ideas and insights that are sure to come to light.
Users Online
Currently online:114 members 585 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: