Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
0 Kudos

Re: being organized

Wrighty wrote:

dedaviswright wrote:
And I though I was the only crazy one. I made note cards of all of the characters so that I could keep them in alphabetical order, and add to their profiles as each book progresses. I also keep a notebook on predictions, questions I need answers to and websites with information. Crazy Hugh?

Not crazy, you and DebsScott are VERY organized. More good ideas. I bet you have really clean houses too. No comment on mine. :smileysurprised:

Are you kidding? Who has time for housework while reading, writing and transcribing? LOL
~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: being organized

DebsScott wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

dedaviswright wrote:
And I though I was the only crazy one. I made note cards of all of the characters so that I could keep them in alphabetical order, and add to their profiles as each book progresses. I also keep a notebook on predictions, questions I need answers to and websites with information. Crazy Hugh?

Not crazy, you and DebsScott are VERY organized. More good ideas. I bet you have really clean houses too. No comment on mine. :smileysurprised:

Are you kidding? Who has time for housework while reading, writing and transcribing? LOL

EXACTLY!! Glad to hear we're on the same wavelength (or use the same excuse). And I'm getting way behind on the other stack of books that I have waiting for me. So much to do...
New User
Felix-Felicis
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome!

Hi everyone!

Just discovered this fantastic idea!!! I am very excited about this- I'm glad to know that I'm not the only seemingly crazy one out there with obsessive tendancies towards Harry and his adventures. I'm a Year Five teacher in Australia, and I manage to involve Harry Potter in my classes at least once a week! I've also completed a research paper for university about Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban! :smileyhappy: So, yes I am VERY excited, and eager to get into some deep discussions!

Happy reading!
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Re: Re-Reading

dedaviswright wrote:

No! Some readers just share that "well organized mind" with JKR and Dumbledore! (As one of those people forever trying to get better organized, I'm fascinated by that quote!)

Rachel
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Felix-Felicis wrote:
Hi everyone!

Just discovered this fantastic idea!!! I am very excited about this- I'm glad to know that I'm not the only seemingly crazy one out there with obsessive tendancies towards Harry and his adventures. I'm a Year Five teacher in Australia, and I manage to involve Harry Potter in my classes at least once a week! I've also completed a research paper for university about Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban! :smileyhappy: So, yes I am VERY excited, and eager to get into some deep discussions!

Happy reading!

That is very interesting. What are you writing about for your research paper?

Nadine
Reader 2
miriamdez
0 Kudos

Re: Re-Reading

dedaviswright wrote:

brilliant!!
Miriam.
DebsScott
0 Kudos

Felix-Felicis wrote:
Hi everyone!

Happy reading!

Oh, how much it excites me that Harry Potter is being incorporated into so much education! A couple of months ago, I was "interviewed" by a college-aged friend for her thesis about Harry Potter (she actually took the HP tour in the U. K.). I can't wait until she's finished with it so I can read it. Have you received your grade for your research paper Felix-Felicis? It had to have at least earned an "Exceeds Expectations"!
~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
Reader
shanana
0 Kudos

I just was at B&N yesterday and found out that the last book is coming out in July! I immediately reserved my copy. I am so excited! I have read books 1-6 once through but I feel like I've forgotten EVERYTHING! I can't wait to read SS tonight so I can participate in all the great discussions! The first time through I had so many questions but had no one to talk to about them. This is going to be SO fun and it will tide me over until July!
New User
Felix-Felicis
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Felix-Felicis wrote:
Hi everyone!

Happy reading!

That is very interesting. What are you writing about for your research paper?

Nadine

I finished my paper in 2005- it was titled 'Exploring Heroes and Heroines in Children's Literature through the Red Thread'. Pretty much its about the heroes journey and how all heroes follow a similar rite of passage throughout their story etc etc. I analysed all of the gurus and allies, temptations, concepts of hero and anti hero and all its components. I chose POA because its my favourite Harry Potter and the transformation that children's literature has taken thanks to JKR is enormous and classroom teachers around the world embrace it. There is also another theory called the Red Thread, and how all stories have key themes or elements which underlie everything in the narrative- the theory states that everything that occurs in a plot can be traced back to the thread. The thread can be large or small, and VERY VERY deep and philosophical. And my reasoning for choosing a seemingly 'childrens' story'- I wanted to show that children are exposed to as many of life's big questions as adults are in literature; they are just covered differently. (And it helps that I am a teacher and a HP fanatic :smileyhappy: )

Oh and by the way Debs- lets just say that my research paper had a Hermione-esq mark attached to it.
My lecturer had actually started his PHD on this very topic, and has quoted my paper in his!!!!!! :smileytongue:
DebsScott
0 Kudos

Felix-Felicis wrote:I finished my paper in 2005- it was titled 'Exploring Heroes and Heroines in Children's Literature through the Red Thread'. Pretty much its about the heroes journey and how all heroes follow a similar rite of passage throughout their story etc etc. I analysed all of the gurus and allies, temptations, concepts of hero and anti hero and all its components. I chose POA because its my favourite Harry Potter and the transformation that children's literature has taken thanks to JKR is enormous and classroom teachers around the world embrace it. There is also another theory called the Red Thread, and how all stories have key themes or elements which underlie everything in the narrative- the theory states that everything that occurs in a plot can be traced back to the thread. The thread can be large or small, and VERY VERY deep and philosophical. And my reasoning for choosing a seemingly 'childrens' story'- I wanted to show that children are exposed to as many of life's big questions as adults are in literature; they are just covered differently. (And it helps that I am a teacher and a HP fanatic :smileyhappy: )

Oh and by the way Debs- lets just say that my research paper had a Hermione-esq mark attached to it.
My lecturer had actually started his PHD on this very topic, and has quoted my paper in his!!!!!! :smileytongue:

EXCELLENT! Oh, how I'd like to dive into your paper...it sounds fascinating! LOL I teach Pre-kindergarten (and even at that young age you can see the "hero" in stories along the same line as Harry...but not quite so in depth). I've gone back to school myself and am seriously thinking about continuing on so I will have qualifications to teach high school English (specifically creative writing and reading). It's just thrilling to me that Harry is incorporated into "serious" college papers :smileywink: . I think I may have to quote you as well...the next time someone teases me about reading a "kid's book" I'll just have to say I have ANOTHER friend who used him in their college work! BRAVO ON THE GRADE! *applause*
~Debs~
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Your paper sounds fascinating. Both the content and the idea of the "red thread." I've never heard that before - it's very interesting.

And what satisfaction to learn that your paper was quoted within your professors's paper!

Felix-Felicis wrote:

I finished my paper in 2005- it was titled 'Exploring Heroes and Heroines in Children's Literature through the Red Thread'. Pretty much its about the heroes journey and how all heroes follow a similar rite of passage throughout their story etc etc. I analysed all of the gurus and allies, temptations, concepts of hero and anti hero and all its components. I chose POA because its my favourite Harry Potter and the transformation that children's literature has taken thanks to JKR is enormous and classroom teachers around the world embrace it. There is also another theory called the Red Thread, and how all stories have key themes or elements which underlie everything in the narrative- the theory states that everything that occurs in a plot can be traced back to the thread. The thread can be large or small, and VERY VERY deep and philosophical. And my reasoning for choosing a seemingly 'childrens' story'- I wanted to show that children are exposed to as many of life's big questions as adults are in literature; they are just covered differently. (And it helps that I am a teacher and a HP fanatic :smileyhappy: )

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
dedaviswright
0 Kudos

Wow! your paper sounds neat! As a high school teacher, I have tried to incorporate the Harry Potter themes into various aspects of education as well. I am surprised how many students I have gotten to read the series (all on their own). Keep up the great work!
New User
belem
0 Kudos

I love Harry Potter, I'll read the books for hours and finish them in less than a day.
DebsScott
0 Kudos

belem wrote:
I love Harry Potter, I'll read the books for hours and finish them in less than a day.

It's so easy to lose yourself in the HP books...which, to me, is a mark of their excellence. They can just make the world melt away for a while. I'm like you, I read very fast anyway, but I can finish any HP book in less than a day. Case in point: Attended midnight release party for HBP. Got book, but alas, they didn't have the Deluxe Special Edition available. Hubby calls another store across town, they will have them in the morning. Go home...get there around one. Stay up all the rest of the night reading HBP...finish it by seven...get up drive to other store get Deluxe Special Edition and finish it that day. LOL
~Debs~
Frequent Contributor
dedaviswright
0 Kudos

I find myself reading them over and over to escape the daily grind. I do the same with the movies. One great thing I have done, it purchase the tapes of all of the books and listen to them where ever I go. (Unless my teenagers want music)and even then I look forward to hearing Jim Dale's readings.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

DebsScott wrote:

belem wrote:

It's so easy to lose yourself in the HP books...which, to me, is a mark of their excellence. They can just make the world melt away for a while. I'm like you, I read very fast anyway, but I can finish any HP book in less than a day. Case in point: Attended midnight release party for HBP. Got book, but alas, they didn't have the Deluxe Special Edition available. Hubby calls another store across town, they will have them in the morning. Go home...get there around one. Stay up all the rest of the night reading HBP...finish it by seven...get up drive to other store get Deluxe Special Edition and finish it that day. LOL

What is the Deluxe Special Edition. Is it different than the regular?
Frequent Contributor
dedaviswright
0 Kudos

hummmm....what is the Deluxe Edition? I think I've missed something.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Re: Deluxe Editions

dedaviswright wrote:

The Deluxe Edition has special artwork on the cover that is not seen in the regular copy. You could even remove the dust jacket and frame it if you wanted to. For example, the deluxe edition of TOOP has a very cool picture of the headquarters of the order of the phoenix. I think they've only been available with the last 2 books. I preordered both the regular and the deluxe editions for both of the last 2 books online since I don't live near a city. It's a 2 hour drive to the closest B&N!
Contributor
mvenus929
0 Kudos

Hey everyone.

For you theory mongers, I finally broke down and decided to join, but I can't promise I'll be really active with school and everything.

For everyone else, hi. I'm Chelle. I've been reading HP since I got into high school... 5 1/2 years ago. Seems like forever. I'm in college and discuss HP quite often. Hope to hear some new insights (as much as I love the insight Debs and Peeves offer :-P).

Chelle
DebsScott
0 Kudos

Re: Deluxe Editions

KristyR wrote:

dedaviswright wrote:

The Deluxe Edition has special artwork on the cover that is not seen in the regular copy. You could even remove the dust jacket and frame it if you wanted to. For example, the deluxe edition of TOOP has a very cool picture of the headquarters of the order of the phoenix. I think they've only been available with the last 2 books. I preordered both the regular and the deluxe editions for both of the last 2 books online since I don't live near a city. It's a 2 hour drive to the closest B&N!

Exactly. The Deluxe Special Editions are packaged in a box...a sleeve...erm...slipcover...that has different artwork on it than the regular books; the cover of the book itself is also different artwork. The books themselves are the same, but being the collector that I am, I have to have both (I have HBP and OOTP...There are special leather-bound editions of SS and COS which are kind of hard to find and can be expensive, but I have them LOL). In the inside of the books, at the end, are full-sized pages of the chapter art by Mary GrandPre

Sorcerer's Stone collector's edition:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780439203524&itm=11

Deluxe Special Edition of Half-Blood Prince:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780439791328&itm=5
~Debs~
Users Online
Currently online: 23 members 461 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: