1. Eve Dallas and Roarke from J.D. Robb’s futuristic romantic suspense In Death series. Eve, the NYC Homicide Lieutenant and her billionaire husband Roarke, are one of the most endearing and enduring couples in romancelandia. She’s tough, irascible, unique, intelligent and tenacious. He’s a self made man who owns half the universe and can have ANY thing he desires. He desires Eve. With Treachery in Death releasing this month, we’ve watched their relationship grow for 32 books and it’s still going strong.
2. Ayla and Jondalar from Jean M. Auel’s Cro-Magnum Earth Children Series. Who would have thought that the journey of a cave woman and her Neanderthal partner would have seized my attention and kept me fascinated for five books? The good news is the 6th book, The Land of Painted Caves, comes out next month.
3. Annique Villiers and Robert Grey from Joanna Bourne’s historical romance, The Spymaster's Lady. They are truly a distinctive couple. Two spies, one French, one English, both experts at deception, mendacity, espionage and infiltration and each loyal to their own cause. How they get together, when they are enemies on opposite sides of a cause, is believable and romantic, and that’s what makes them brilliant together.
4. Alexi Steele and Nicholas Donavan from Cheyenne McCray’s romantic suspense Lexi Steele series. Meeting Lexi and Nicholas in The First Sin and The Second Betrayal, was an unexpected surprise. Lexi is a top agent for a deep undercover government agency and Nick is a former SEAL. Before you go – oh no, been there done that, know this; Lexi has a complicated history yet a straight forward approach to life. She’s the hero of this book, in every sense of the word, and Nicholas is man enough to appreciate that.
5. Freyja Bedwyn and Joshua Moore in Mary Balogh’s historical romance Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Family Series). Freyja is bold, brilliant and brassy; Joshua is
6. Elena Deveraux and Archangel Raphael from Nalini Singh’s paranormal romances Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter Series #1) , Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter Series #2) and Archangel's Consort (Guild Hunter Series #3). A vampire hunter and one of the most powerful Archangels in the world? I don’t think I need to say any more.
7. Haven Travis and Hardy Cates from Lisa Kleypas’ contemporary romance Blue-Eyed Devil. Haven has been abused and Hardy is the one that can heal her. Together they define love, compassion and understanding.
8. Ian Mackenzie and Beth Ackerley from Jennifer Ashley’s historical romance The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures Series #1). The ultimate wounded hero and a woman searching for stability. His madness and her pain create a tender culmination that is both pleasurable and endearing.
9. John Matthew and Xhex from J.R. Ward’s Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #8). Some Black Dagger Brotherhood fans might think it should be Zadist and Bella from Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #3), but I’ve became partial to the struggles that John and Xhex had to face. These two warriors go through hell and back again to save one another and definitely deserve to be on my list.
10. Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser from Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander (Outlander Series #1). She’s from the 20th Century he’s from the 16th. Together they make sense in any time or place.
11. Sam Starrett and Alyssa Locke and Jules Cassidy and Robin Chadwick from all of the Suzanne Brockmann’s romantic suspense Troubleshooter series. OK, it’s a cheat doing two couples in one series, but I have to mention both couples because throughout the entire series we watched as they met, fell in love, broke up, got back together, married and finally got their HEA’s. It was a glorious process to share.
Honorable mentions go to:
12. Dominic and Solange Sangria -Dark Peril (Dark Series #21) by Christine Feehan
13. Derek Craven and Sara Fielding - Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas
14. Resse Duncan and Madelyn Patterson - Duncan's Bride by Linda Howard
15. Fiona Bristow and Simon Doyle - The Search by Nora Roberts
16. Winnifred Hathaway and Kev Merripen - Seduce Me at Sunrise (Hathaway Series #2) by Lisa Kleypas
17. Dominic Renbourne and Lady Meriel Grahame – The Wild Child by Mary Jo Putney
These are some of the couples that make each day Valentine’s Day.
What about you? Who are your favorite couples?