1. I’m absolutely going to DVR the new TV show “SMASH”. It’s getting a lot of buzz and it was one of eight pilots that television journalists have voted ‘as one of the most exciting new series’. Of course journalist have been known to be wrong, but once I saw the promos for this series I knew I’d be taking a front row seat in my living room for the premiere. "SMASH" centers on a group of Broadway producers casting and eventually bringing to Broadway a musical about the life of Marilyn Monroe. Unlike “Glee,” where the characters are larger than life and perform songs we’re all relatively familiar with, this new series will feature brand new songs.
2. "Downton Abbey" is a favorite of mine and with the new season already airing I am even more obsessed. Last season Lord and Lady Grantham were negotiating the fate of their beloved home. This season WWI is upon them and they are unaware of how drastically their lives will change. If you’re a fan of historical romance, or you just can’t resist period dramas presented by Masterpiece Theatre, this is an absolute must see, it’s a sumptuous visual and emotional feast.
3. Featuring a team of investigators trying to figure out how the heck prisoners from a maximum security prison located in the middle of the water escaped only to return 50 years later, Alcatraz promises to be a mind bender. Brought to you by J.J. Abrams, this has all the ear marks of another “LOST”. I was an on-again off-again LOST fan, and the great moments almost outweighed the bad, so I’m going to have to give this one some room on my DVR, at least for the first three episodes. What can I say, I’m curious.
When I’m not working, or catching up on movies and television, you can find me in my reading chair. Yes, I'm a lot like all you working moms who have managed to create a 37 hour day.
There are several books I’m really looking forward to reading in 2012.
2. I am waiting with unbearable anticipation for Biting Cold , the next in Chole Neil’s Chicagoland Vampire series. If you know me, you know I am completely hooked on this series, and after the way Hard Bitten ended I can’t wait to find out how this master storyteller resolves certain issues that left this reader falling out of her chair.The author’s website has this to say:
Turned into a vampire against her will, twenty-eight-year-old Merit found her way into the dark circle of Chicago’s vampire underground, where she learned there was more to supernaturals than met the eye—and more supernaturals than the public ever imagined. And not all the secrets she learned were for sharing—among humans or in humans.
Now Merit is on the hunt, charging across the stark American Midwest, tailing a rogue supernatural intent on stealing an ancient artifact that could unleash catastrophic evil on the world. But Merit is also the prey. An enemy of Chicagoland is hunting her, and he’ll stop at nothing to get the book for himself. No mercy allowed. No rules apply. No lives spared. The race is on.
I say, Bring. It. On.
3. Lisa Kleypas is one of my favorite authors. When she took a hiatus from writing during 2011 I found myself somewhat bereft. So my expectations and anticipation are a bit high as I await the release of her new contemporary romance Rainshadow Road . The pre-buzz on Goodreads is great. Ms. Kleypas has a beautiful contemporary voice that draws you into the heart of each character, so this one is definitely on my must read list.
4. March can’t come soon enough; that’s when Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward releases. This is Black Dagger BrotherThor’s long awaited book. Need I say more?
There is so much to read and watch this year and I’m looking forward to spending some of my free time enjoying all of it.
What about you? What shows and books are you looking forward to this year?
Keep up with all the best romance news by joining our Facebook page or visiting us at Romantic Reads.
Maria Lokken is an avid romance reader and an award winning television producer
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in.