Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: test link

Choisya wrote:
It would be better overall if B&N techies could sort the hyperlinks out so that we do not have to add any HTML codes. This used to work OK on BNU and it sometimes works here - if sometimes, why not always?

ziki wrote:
just don't do the links my way, said Ziki BN Sinatra.

agree...
z.
Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: test link (formatting links)

If I may, I'd suggest that we not spend a lot of time trying to write html code to format links. Most links do work automatically on the system. Some don't, and we'll look at why. But in the meantime, it may just be easier to cut and paste the URL into a browser on those instances when the link doesn't "link."
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Ziki and Choisya: More HTML

[ Edited ]
Congratulations, Ziki: you seem to be having a lot of fun with this on the Moby Dick board! Choisya, you might find the following link useful:

http://rabbit.eng.miami.edu/info/htmlchars.html

ziki wrote:
---HOHOOO!! check it out...All right, gimme five, philomat educated me successfully.

pmath wrote (message linked here):
I used HTML code to create the links, using the URL as the title:

<a href="insert URL here" target="_blank">insert title here</a>

Choisya wrote:
I have the solution to this but can't type it because the blessed HTML tags get in the way!

ziki wrote:
I asked elsewhere but I didn't hear anything yet, so I'll try here again: when I paste a link as you recommend sometimes a part of the link that refers to the specific page is not highlighted in blue and therefore the 'clickable' part of the link as it apears on the board leads readers to another page (main page).

Message Edited by pmath on 01-06-200707:41 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

pmath

pmath wrote:
Congratulations, Ziki: you seem to having a lot of fun with this on the Moby Dick

Yeah! I mastered 'your' code and I use it in cases when the link comes out "half way done".

ziki
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: For Ziki and Choisya: More HTML

Thanks pmath. I have been sucessfully using html for links too but couldn't remember how to express colours in HTML to explain to ziki:smileysad:

pmath wrote:
Congratulations, Ziki: you seem to having a lot of fun with this on the Moby Dick board! Choisya, you might find the following link useful:

http://rabbit.eng.miami.edu/info/htmlchars.html

ziki wrote:
---HOHOOO!! check it out...
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Ziki and HTML

Choisya wrote:
Thanks pmath. I have been sucessfully using html for links too but couldn't remember how to express colours in HTML to explain to ziki:smileysad:

Oh, I should know that I just prefer to forget, heheh... I can look it up, NP.
no worries, shipmate

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

? posted links are not complete

Hi,
when I post a link relevant to the discussion just part of it works (se i.e. my post on name moons in Thirteen Moons). That means the readers who click the incomplete link are led to a wrong page. Why is it so and can it be remedied?

request:
Could someone organize this help section into suitable folders? It's hard to find the simple answers. Are we supposed to start a new subject each time there's a question?

The structure (lay out) of this whole board is too loose IMHO.

The old board had the option of marking a post with a question mark. It is a pity w eno longer have that function.

ziki
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Smilies /Cut off signatures

Is everyone doing their emoticons in text too? The only one I know is
colon D. :smileyvery-happy:

Does anyone know why the bottom of many signatures is cut off? Not just in Firefox, but IE too.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: Smilies /Cut off signatures

foxycat wrote:
Is everyone doing their emoticons in text too? The only one I know is
colon D. :smileyvery-happy:

Does anyone know why the bottom of many signatures is cut off? Not just in Firefox, but IE too.

I'm not sure about the signature but I use the text for emoticons.

semi colon closed parenthesis :smileywink:
colon closed parenthesis :smileyhappy:
colon P :smileytongue:
colon O :smileysurprised:

If these don't make sense, hit the reply button to my message, then the quote button. You can look at the test for my message and you'll be able to see how I made them. That's how I figured them out. Hope these aren't too confusing. There's probably an easier way to explain this but so far it's the only way I know. Have fun!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

foxycat wrote:

Try adding a carriage return to the end of your signature text and see whether that solves it.
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

foxycat wrote:

Try adding a carriage return to the end of your signature text and see whether that solves it.

Thanks, Everyman.

I'm going to have to look up the specifics, but there is a size limit on signatures. I think it's about three or four lines in the default setting, but it changes if you (or the person who created the signature) has altered the font or font size. If you see signatures that don't render correctly, you might want to PM the user(s) to let them know ... It's entirely possible that it renders completely in their settings.