Frequent Contributor
JC88
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Membership Still Worth It?

As I said, I won't be renewing mine.  I can't get anymore printed books, I just don't have the bookshelves!  Some of the eBooks do cost more than I expected.  You can't even use the online coupons on them either.  *shrugs*  I'm with the people who just don't think it worth the $25 anymore.

Contributor
CafeDiva
0 Kudos

I suppose I have not checked the boards recently enough to know that prices went back up.  I checked via the nook when it first arrived in my store a few months ago.   And as for the Membership, the fact that eBooks have gone up in price (due to higher demand) is more reason to get one.

And I guess customers have a hard time swallowing the $25 dollar Membership fee, but it really does add up quickly.  True, you don't "technically" save 40% on HC bestsellers, you save 37%.  However, as a Member you also save 20% on non-bestseller HC (including textbooks), 10% on everything else, including in the Barnes & Noble Cafe (this includes retail bags of coffee, gifts, etc).  Additionally, as a Member you receive free shipping on any order over $10 when you ship-to-home from a Barnes & Noble store.  In all reality, excluding small mass markets and juvie titles, you basically get free shipping on any book you order.  Finally, you get $50 in coupons (via email) for starting a Membership account.  These coupons can be used online or in-store.

What I tell customers who are debating whether or not to start a Membership account is to buy a few HC titles first, as this saves you the most money practically.

Currently recommending: Black Iced Tea Lemonade with one pump of Raspberry Syrup
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

CafeDiva wrote:

I suppose I have not checked the boards recently enough to know that prices went back up.  I checked via the nook when it first arrived in my store a few months ago.   And as for the Membership, the fact that eBooks have gone up in price (due to higher demand) is more reason to get one.

And I guess customers have a hard time swallowing the $25 dollar Membership fee, but it really does add up quickly.  True, you don't "technically" save 40% on HC bestsellers, you save 37%.  However, as a Member you also save 20% on non-bestseller HC (including textbooks), 10% on everything else, including in the Barnes & Noble Cafe (this includes retail bags of coffee, gifts, etc).  Additionally, as a Member you receive free shipping on any order over $10 when you ship-to-home from a Barnes & Noble store.  In all reality, excluding small mass markets and juvie titles, you basically get free shipping on any book you order.  Finally, you get $50 in coupons (via email) for starting a Membership account.  These coupons can be used online or in-store.

What I tell customers who are debating whether or not to start a Membership account is to buy a few HC titles first, as this saves you the most money practically.

Interesting this thread was moved out of the ebooks forum since the OP is asking if the membership is still 'worth it' once a reader has switched over to ebooks.

I'd say you haven't been checking the boards lately if you've missed the upteen threads on the raising of ebook prices,  many of which are now more expensive than purchasing the print copy.   No, I wouldn't agree that's all the more reason for me to renew my B&N membership because I have no intention of going back to print books even if they are less expensive.   What I'll do is purchase fewer books and use my library more.  If I want to purchase a hardcover I'll get it at Amazon at an excellent discount without a membership fee or just order from B&N online, since now everyone gets the discount whether they'd paid up the $25 or not. 

If you purchase mainly ebooks,  it doesn't make sense to purchase a B&N membership.  I'm not knocking the B&N membership in general, I've been a member for many years but I will not be renewing this time as my reading habits have changed and there is no longer enough benefit to compensate for the cost.  Perhaps if B&N gave every renewing member the $50 in coupons rather than just 'new' members it would be different.  :smileyhappy:

Linda

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I hate to be a party pooper, but I am going to renew my membership. I don't have a nook, I have a Kindle so I can't compare the value of B and N ebooks, but I still prefer a hard copy to an ereader.

Anyone who has children or grandchildren and buys books for them, will still find the membership worthwhile. I can't imagine reading a child a bedtime story on an ereader although I do provide my grandchild with ebooks on her kindle, as well as buying her "real books.

I think there will always be a place for hard copy books in the marketplace. So far, after a few years, B and N membership has always saved me more money than the cost of the membership. So I vote yes for membership.

:smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
JC88
0 Kudos

If you're buying hardcopies, then yes, it's worth it.  I asked this question originally in the nook general boards because for those of us who have transitioned from print to primarily eBook I assert that it is not.  I wanted my fellow Nookers opinion on the subject. 

Can I use Nookers?  It just sounds so wrong.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

CafeDiva wrote:

And as for the Membership, the fact that eBooks have gone up in price (due to higher demand) is more reason to get one.

Higher demand????  The prices went up because the Agency Model and the publishers now controlling the price.  

I don't have a problem with paying $12.99 for a new release at the same time as the HC.  My problem with prices right now is related to the paperback/ebook pricing.  Many books, which have been out in paperback for several years, the ebook is priced the same as the paperback.  With my membership (which hasn't expired yet) I can get the paperback for cheaper than the ebook.  That is what annoys me.  

Frequent Contributor
JC88
0 Kudos

I totally agree!  Why does it have to be the same price when they are not having to print it, ship it, stock it, and then hope to sell it?  I still prefer eBooks though simply b/c of storage.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My husband is a "kindler" which doesn't sound much better than "nooker" but it does have a certain ring to it! He prefers the kindle to the hard copy book but will read hard copies if i buy them before he does! I supppose for him, the b and n membership would be useless, no matter what ereader he used. It is really only worthwhile if you purchase the actual book.

JC88 wrote:

If you're buying hardcopies, then yes, it's worth it.  I asked this question originally in the nook general boards because for those of us who have transitioned from print to primarily eBook I assert that it is not.  I wanted my fellow Nookers opinion on the subject. 

Can I use Nookers?  It just sounds so wrong.

I guess this is more of the answer you were looking for.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think that the book publishers and the authors control the pricing because they still want to make money, regardless of how you purchase the book. You are getting the same product which you can store on your reader and there has to be some additional expense attached to making it available for the ereader so maybe they just assume it has a similar value to you. In addition, once you invest in the nook or the kindle or any other reader, you are committed with a pretty sizable investment so they kind of have a captive audience to play with and pricing is part of their game. I bet they eventually come out with a plan only for Nook owners.

bklvr896 wrote:

CafeDiva wrote:

And as for the Membership, the fact that eBooks have gone up in price (due to higher demand) is more reason to get one.

Higher demand????  The prices went up because the Agency Model and the publishers now controlling the price.  

I don't have a problem with paying $12.99 for a new release at the same time as the HC.  My problem with prices right now is related to the paperback/ebook pricing.  Many books, which have been out in paperback for several years, the ebook is priced the same as the paperback.  With my membership (which hasn't expired yet) I can get the paperback for cheaper than the ebook.  That is what annoys me.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just got the letter the other day from B&N concerning the changes to the membership.  So, if I understand it correctly, as of April 30, we will no longer get any discount on online purchases?  That sucks.  When I first joined, I got 10% in the store, but only 5% online, and later they raised the online discount to be 10% also.  The Fast & Free shipping with no minimum purchase doesn't make up for it for me, as I always order at least $25 at a time, and so have always qualified, anyway.  I am unlikely to start ordering one item at a time at less than $25 just because of this change.  I used to have presents sent to my nephews and others from B&N partly because of my discount, but if I am no longer going to get it, I might as well shop from a site that specializes in toys instead. 

As for the discount changes in the store, they won't help me much.  I don't buy bestsellers, so the 40% discount is pretty useless to me, and I rarely buy hardbacks in the store.  I might once in a while, but I don't think the 20% discount is going to do much for me.  However, what I mainly buy in the store is things like Tarot sets, and box-set DVDs, so I have to think long and hard about whether it will still be worth it to me to keep my membership in order to maintain the 10% discount on those.  I do probably make up for the membership fee on those store trips.  But, in general, I will be getting much, much less off, since I only make a few trips to the store a year, and I buy online every few months.

It's too bad that B&N is going to lose a lot of business with this move.  I believe my membership goes back to 2001, and I feel like less of a valued customer now.  I've never even gotten any coupons as a member; I didn't even know they did that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
JC88
0 Kudos

I'm betting they're going to end the program eventually as more people transition to the eBook format rather than print!

Frequent Contributor
harkinat0r
0 Kudos

Re: How about a discount for B&N members who own a Nook!!!

Actually, I read an article about how eReaders are not as environmentally-friendly as you might think.  The plastic will live in a landfill forever (versus biodegradable paper books), the chemicals and waste that go into the manufacture of batteries and eInk screens, use of electricity, etc.  Basically, unless you were a HEAVY, HEAVY reader buying paper books constantly, switching to an eReader will actually raise your carbon footprint.  That's beside the point though.  eReaders provide publishers with a captive audience.  For example, unless you want to go through the hassle of sideloading books, you are basically tied down to the BN store (especially if you are buying books while on the go).  Whether it's right or wrong, eReaders have become so proprietary that all of your content is specifically tied down to one certain brand of eReader and publishers will gouge you because you are locked in.  That's just how it is and will be until DRMs are eliminated and open standard formats are adopted across the board.  Who knows if that will ever happen.

New User
annlynnLS
0 Kudos

I decided for the first time not to renew.  They took away my online discount--and I can buy everything cheaper, with free shipping at amazon, so no, I'm not renewing.  I suppose I'll pay a little more at the coffee shop--but not $25 a year more, and I'll just do more of my actual buying at amazon(not much more, though, because even with the membership amazon has better customer service, and much better pricing most of the time.)

Reader
Carmel_Dreamin
0 Kudos

I'm still going to renew mine. While I am finding that my little granddaughter likes the read to me books I have downloaded, I still think it's important for her to graps the concept of good old fashioned book reading. Nothing teaches a child the love of books like touching & feeling and turning pages. Nothing can replace the feeling of sitting cuddled together in a chair reading stories. I hope to pass on my love, appreciation and respect for books to her.

I use my B&N card for childrens books, for any toys there that we get her, and for any books that I buy myself or others. And we still get a discount off our Starbucks in their cafe, during our every other Sunday trip to B&N. I will still get my money's worth.

I got the Nookcolor because I wanted the portability of having a lot of books in one small place. But nothing can ever replace the feel of a real book. So when my card comes up for renewal, I'll renew. I wish they did discount the ebooks, but they still are not badly priced compared to other formats, so I can't complain.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

If you are interested in books for your children or grandchildren, check out sweetonbooks.com

The book reviews are very well done and user friendly. The middle grade reviews are exceptional. If you are concerned about appropriateness of content this website will be a great resource. After you check it out, please let me know what you think.

Reader
Phil
0 Kudos

In a word...no. This past year, when I renewed my membership...all my coupon e-mailings stopped cold. For the previous 3 years I had received them like clockwork, and used them on a very regular basis.

After multiple complaints, the company claimed it was due to my e-mail settings (which had not changed form years past and I seemed to always get the replies from customer service) I finally did get my $50 worth of coupons that were promised as part of my rmembership enewal...only 8 months late. Then...no more after that. I filed a complaint with the BBB and others, and am waiting to see what happens.

In short, the membership savings plus the added coupons made it cost-effective for me to buy books from them. However...it is no longer in many cases. I still plan to buy books from them from time to time...but they have lost a lot of my business this year to other booksellers who still have the membership program plus e-mail me coupons.

New User
mutlipurpose
0 Kudos

I renewed my membership last October.  I tried to register my card at that time with the help of a sales representative who said that it should register in a day or two and "not to worry about it."  I took that advice and didn't worry. Recently, I placed 2 orders but noticed that I wasn't getting any "valuable coupons" that the company boasted about.  I called a sales representative and came to realize that my card had not been registered as promised and this was why no discount coupons had arrived to my residence or email.  I also had a lengthy "chat" with some very un-helpful sales associates.   The long and short of it:  Besides wasting 20 extra minutes of my time, the 2 sales associates that I spoke to (one was a Store manager)  basically implyed that I should stop complaining about previous orders, and not to expect any Member perks for having my membership registration ignored for 6 months, even though the coupons could have saved me approximately $20, almost the cost of the membership.  I have seen no savings other than the shipping costs that I could have received free with ordering merchandise of $25, or just paid the dollar or two that I could have saved on membership fees. Conclusion:  NOT worth it.

New User
Hexone4Life
0 Kudos

I was on the fence about this for a long time.  Basically your paying for discounts.  I really enjoy going to Barnes and Nobles but I only buy a new book once and a while.  I dont think it's worth it unless your buying allot of books.