New User
Julzml
0 Kudos

Book suggestions

I have just gotten back into reading lately after having 2 children. I really loved the Twilight series even though it was kind of teenageish but now I am looking for something else to read, preferably a series. The problem is I don't know what to look for. Does anyone have any suggestions on books that are similar to Twilight, but maybe more adult? I like fiction, romance as well but not trashy romance.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Re: Book suggestions

Why don't you check out the Paranormal/Urban Fantasy and the Romance Bookclubs and I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions.  If you go to Paranormal check out the Genre Priemer for a good starting place.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Contributor
katknit

Anne Rice's Witching Hour series is pretty creepy, with adult characters and  themes.The Witching Hour (Mayfair Witches Series #1) IMO, The Witching Hour is her masterpiece.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Contributor
Sofia_NW
0 Kudos

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs werewolf/vampire books, really good!.

Contributor
cchick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sink or Swim by Kate Cann is an excellent book to read after a breakup.

Here is a synopsis, see if it catches your attention. 

The last installment of the Love Trilogy will keep listeners engrossed in the relationship troubles of multiple characters as they cope with misunderstanding, unexpressed yearnings, and growing up. Focusing mainly on Coll, this teen drama not only tackles issues such as sex and abortion, it also looks at what it means to be a friend when someone is no longer enjoyable to be around. Listeners who prefer dialogue to description will find this story particularly entertaining. Nicky Talacko's delivery of Coll's internal monologues and spirited exchanges with other characters is true to life and convincing. Her characterizations of teen angst and heartbreak will have listeners moving through a range of emotions as the story comes to its conclusion. 

She writes a book that continues the story about Coll in Diving In. In this book it discusses more of Coll's yearning for the hot guy named Art who she sees at the pool. She begins having dreams about him and then... well you'll have to find out for yourself. Here's a synopsis.

Grade 7-9. Although distinctively British in tone and language (including lots of British slang and some universally explicit language), this is really a conventional teenage romance, modernized to include issues such as date rape. Colette fantasizes about Art and, miraculously, ends up dating him. Wealthy and handsome, he pressures her about having sex. Although she is attracted to him, she's not ready; when he invites her to his family's summer cottage, she is furious to discover that he assumes she'll be delighted to sleep with him.

You can find more on Amazon if you are interested. Both of these books were rated a five on Amazon.com. 

There are three books to this series Sink or Swim, Diving In and In the Deep End, they are all about 200 pages in length. I've read the first two but not the last one. The first two are engaging, fun, humorous and easy to read. I will probably read the last one sometime soon. I remember Sink or Swim and Diving In helped me to move on after my boyfriend broke up with me freshmen year. 

What are you looking for in a romance book? Anything in particular? 

Message Edited by cchick on 04-16-2009 11:42 PM
Message Edited by cchick on 04-16-2009 11:42 PM
Message Edited by cchick on 04-16-2009 11:43 PM
Message Edited by cchick on 04-16-2009 11:43 PM
Contributor
cchick
0 Kudos

katknit,

Hi I'm Cecilia and I'm new to this site. 

How do you add pictures of books in forums? 

Thank you.

Ceci

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman

When you are writing a post, you'll see the link "Add Product."  Click on that, and it will take you to a search box.  Enter the title of the book in that search box, and it will look up the book for you.  Sometimes the book you want won't be the top selection, so scroll down.  When you find your book, click on Add Link if you want just a link to the book, or Add Link and Image if you want a picture of the book also put into your post, then click Done.  You will be returned to your post, and by the magic of the Internet and Barnes and Noble, there's your image!

Good luck.  

cchick wrote:

katknit,

Hi I'm Cecilia and I'm new to this site. 

How do you add pictures of books in forums? 

Thank you.

Ceci

0 Kudos

Thank you. :smileywink:

Contributor
pooja84
0 Kudos

Dear Friend, I like to suggest you one thing. If you want to read really nice fiction stories goes for Odyssey series books. I read them & waiting for 2009 edition, its coming soon. I like to read this because it is very interesting stories.

Contributor
celtica
0 Kudos

are you looking specifically for vampires or just good science fiction.  try the host by the same author as the twilight series, it is definitely more mature.  if, however, you are looking for a

series with some real meat on the bones, try diana gabaldon's 7 book series starting with

the first book, called outlander.  this is without a doubt one of the best series of books i have ever read.

teach your children to read
Wordsmith
Anna_Louise

If you like vampire books, check out the Dead Until Dark (sookie stackhouse/southern vampires series from Charlene Harris. There are 9 books in the series. 

Dead until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #1) (True Blood)  

Anna

Contributor
dark_revival
0 Kudos

That's a cool series to read.