Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Can't Make Purchases Any More

[ Edited ]

OK this is weird.

My last B&N purchase was from my NookColor back in August 2012.

Last night (Dec 17), I attempted to order an eBook through my NookColor. It kept giving me an error. Something generic, like "We are unable to process this order. Try again later." Something like that. So I figured I'd go online and attempt. Same thing happened. Message was, "There is a problem with your account and we are unable to process your order". I went to my orders and each of the ones I had attempted were in my order history but were automatically cancelled.

I looked further through the history and noticed that in September 10 there were 3 purchases I did not authorize. They were billed and shipped to various addresses in the country. I also noticed that these addresses were added to my valid "shipping addresses" list. A fourth attempt on September 10 was automatically canceled. So B&N evidently identified this as a problem and put some kind of purchase block on my account. I have not received any emails or anything indicating any of this and had only just discovered this last night, Dec 17.

I called B&N about the unauthorized charges. They couldn't do anything about them because they were 3 months old. However, I could call my CC company and get them charged back, which I did do. So the financial side seems now to be back in order. I changed my CC and my password (which, ironically, they limit to alphabetic and numeric characters - nothing special - my old password was actually strong).

I then called B&N back to unblock the purchases. This is now the fun part. I've been on the phone for over an hour. I've talked to at least two people. They all say my account looks normal. They don't seem to know anything about a block. If I attempt to order via web or the NC, it gives me the above errors. They asked me to check my NC settings (I insisted it's not a device problems since the web also won't let me order). They also asked me to try switching browsers (really??). Finally they said they'd put me through to 2nd level support. After being on hold for 30 more minutes with some really horrible music, I was put through to standard customer service again.

Standard customer service listened to my sad story and concluded that it's a sales issue and put me through to sales. More on-hold music... After a total of 1.5 hours, I finally hung up the phone and couldn't wait any more. I have to get back to work.

I'm about ready to kill this thing and move completely to Amazon.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Make Purchases Any More

Finally this evening got through to someone who had a clue. Resolved by changing the email address on my account. So my email was earmarked as "blocked" as far as purchases were concerned.