Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Design Changes

[ Edited ]

Design changes always generate discussion (and questions). 

Let's keep the conversation focused here, so we can all benefit from the conversation (and answers).

Message Edited by Kevin on 08-18-2008 11:13 AM
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Re: Design Changes

[ Edited ]

Kevin:

I've only given the new design the quickest look but it is a huge improvement. Much more dynamic visually and more intelligent and clever organizationally, which as we all know creates energy that draws people in.

And I suspect you know I'm especially happy to see that you've created a way to give all books under discussion more visibility.

Cheers,

Ande

Kevin wrote:

Let's keep the conversation focused here, so we can all benefit from the conversation (and answers).

Message Edited by ande on 08-18-2008 01:51 PM
Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

ande wrote:

Kevin:

I've only given the new design the quickest look but it is a huge improvement. Much more dynamic visually and more intelligent and clever organizationally, which as we all know creates energy that draws people in.

And I suspect you know I'm especially happy to see that you've created a way to give all books under discussion more visibility.

Cheers,

Ande

Message Edited by ande on 08-18-2008 01:51 PM

Thanks, Ande.

It's a big site, with a lot going on. We definitely want as many people as possible to know about it!

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Kevin wrote:

Looks nice; but would like to see the History Board more prominently featured or a non fiction book club for those folks interested in a different genre than the ones very largely and prominently center staged.   Will be even harder to find with this new presentation. But maybe the focus is on what you are featuring in the future with this transition.  There should be room for both however.
~Bentley 

Frequent Contributor
niki
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:

Kevin wrote:

Looks nice; but would like to see the History Board more prominently featured or a non fiction book club for those folks interested in a different genre than the ones very largely and prominently center staged. Will be even harder to find with this new presentation. But maybe the focus is on what you are featuring in the future with this transition. There should be room for both however.
~Bentley

I agree, it might be nice if all the clubs had a little box. It would look more impressive as well, The only ones featured are the ones getting heavier traffic now. With this new design the rest will probably never be noticed and they are the ones that need it. I had to do a bit a looking (and I knew there were more) to find the little faded gray print box in the upper left hand corner that said "all discussions" and featured a few more. My impression was "what I see is what there is" -- that is 8 clubs plus the 9 featured book titles.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Don't know whether you've done technical changes at this time too, but the site is suddenly running excruciatingly slowly on Firefox 3 running on XP Pro. 
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

niki wrote:

bentley wrote:

Kevin wrote:

Looks nice; but would like to see the History Board more prominently featured or a non fiction book club for those folks interested in a different genre than the ones very largely and prominently center staged. Will be even harder to find with this new presentation. But maybe the focus is on what you are featuring in the future with this transition. There should be room for both however.
~Bentley

I agree, it might be nice if all the clubs had a little box. It would look more impressive as well, The only ones featured are the ones getting heavier traffic now. With this new design the rest will probably never be noticed and they are the ones that need it. I had to do a bit a looking (and I knew there were more) to find the little faded gray print box in the upper left hand corner that said "all discussions" and featured a few more. My impression was "what I see is what there is" -- that is 8 clubs plus the 9 featured book titles.

Thanks Niki for your comment. 
Yes Niki I have to agree, that is my point and observation exactly. That is absolutely what I think will happen too.  
I hope it is not planned obsolescence by highlighting only those heavily visited sites; because the way it is set up; it will root out all of the others because like you stated: "the rest will probably never be noticed and they are the ones that need it."   I know this is not Barnes and Noble intention; but the non featured selection placement will set up these other sites "to fail".  
Without the proper marketing of these other sites and with some assistance from B&N to give them equal footing; B&N seems to highlight and roadmap where they want the readers to go.  The end result is a marketing roadmap to chosen sites at the exclusion of the others.  I am sure the design is not intentionally set up that way.  
Kevin, are you only in the future keeping these few selected sites?  Is that the intention of the design?
Niki, I think you have made an excellent suggestion and observation.  
I think the little boxes are a nice touch and I like them a lot; but why not have a launch pad for all of the clubs in the same way.  The design looks nice and impressive; it is just that the choices are not attractive to me personally and may set up the other sites to fail like the History Book Club and maybe some others.
Great idea Niki.
~Bentley 

PS: How are the hot threads chosen; are they all preselected as other threads B&N wants to promote; because I can honestly say that some are not the hottest threads either.  What is the formula or criteria used to make a thread - a hot one?   

Message Edited by bentley on 08-18-2008 07:53 PM
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Hey, Kevin-- 

I've just taken my first quick peek, too, and really love how easy it is to jump to the featured book clubs from the home page--can't miss them right there in the middle of the page.  Very inviting and convenient!

Thanks!  I look forward to taking more of a look around the home page in another day or so!

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

We've started a Design Changes thread over in the Announcements board to document some of the changes taking place this week.

Stay tuned to that thread for the latest updates, and continue to post your questions/comments here.

Some changes will be happening before your very eyes

There may be some hiccups along the way -- like, for example, the fact that the Choose a Discussion pulldown menu doesn't seem to work at this time. Use the "All Book Clubs" link to see the complete list of clubs (though this link will become "Browse Book Clubs" later in the day).  

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Excellent redesign of "Browse Book Club" page! What a difference. I am already interested in some clubs that have been around forever but I never paid any attention to. You are all to be congratulated!  Great job!
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ah, yes. I see what you mean. As the moderator of the Book Explorers Club I, too, worry about our visibility getting lost in the new design.

Kevin: are you planning to rotate the featured book clubs (the ones in the boxes) like you currently do? I have to say that when you promote Book Explorers there's a lot more traffic and new people find us.

If not, perhaps there is another design solution.

Ande

bentley wrote:

niki wrote:

bentley wrote:

Kevin wrote:

~Bentley

Thanks Niki for your comment. 
Yes Niki I have to agree, that is my point and observation exactly. That is absolutely what I think will happen too.  
I hope it is not planned obsolescence by highlighting only those heavily visited sites; because the way it is set up; it will root out all of the others because like you stated: "the rest will probably never be noticed and they are the ones that need it."   I know this is not Barnes and Noble intention; but the non featured selection placement will set up these other sites "to fail".  
Without the proper marketing of these other sites and with some assistance from B&N to give them equal footing; B&N seems to highlight and roadmap where they want the readers to go.  The end result is a marketing roadmap to chosen sites at the exclusion of the others.  I am sure the design is not intentionally set up that way.  
Kevin, are you only in the future keeping these few selected sites?  Is that the intention of the design?
Niki, I think you have made an excellent suggestion and observation.  
I think the little boxes are a nice touch and I like them a lot; but why not have a launch pad for all of the clubs in the same way.  The design looks nice and impressive; it is just that the choices are not attractive to me personally and may set up the other sites to fail like the History Book Club and maybe some others.
Great idea Niki.
~Bentley 
PS: How are the hot threads chosen; are they all preselected as other threads B&N wants to promote; because I can honestly say that some are not the hottest threads either.  What is the formula or criteria used to make a thread - a hot one?   

Message Edited by bentley on 08-18-2008 07:53 PM

Message Edited by ande on 08-20-2008 10:20 AM
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

I like all the visual changes but I think the header for each group on the "Browse Book Clubs" main page should include the current book under discussion.  i.e. maybe put the title of the book (books) on the line just underneath the group name.  I think that makes it easier for new users to line up the books and groups.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:
I like all the visual changes but I think the header for each group on the "Browse Book Clubs" main page should include the current book under discussion.  i.e. maybe put the title of the book (books) on the line just underneath the group name.  I think that makes it easier for new users to line up the books and groups.

I agree. And it is such a simple change. They can also put it after the club name. They did that with one group but not the others:

B&N Recommends: America America 

I'm think it was just an oversight in the rush to get things up. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I wish that you had a box that takes you to the romance bookclub instead of having to go to all the bookclubs.  I like that you can go directly to the Paranormal club but wish that you could do the same with Romance.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I really like how it all looks! Very visual! Great job!

One thing: I've noticed when you click on a thread to read the new posts, it takes you to the very first post instead of the most recent posts. Will that be tweaked in the future?

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

icon resize?

I just refreshed the book clubs page and all of a sudden the "conversation bubble with book" icon next to each group name has gotten HUGE in some instances and stayed the same size in others.  Just thought I'd let you know.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I notice that some of threads have a red sort of talk bubble next to them. Some are plain, some have an in-arrow, and others have a plus sign.  I've figured out that the plus sign seems to mean that you have new posts in the thread, but I haven't figured out what the in-arrow symbol means. 

Is there going to be (or is there, and I haven't noticed it?) a symbol map that tells what all these new symbols mean, or should we just be adventurous and explore and try to figure it out?  (Is there a prize for the one who gets the most right soonest? :smileyhappy:)

0 Kudos

When you are looking at a board, scroll down all the way to the very bottom.  Just below the last thread on the page, you will find a Legend telling you what those symbols mean. 

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Being a bit greedy, and having suffered several bouts of tendonitis in my scroll wheel finger, I would love to have the Quick Links listing include a link to go directly to my bookmarks. I'm glad to find them back at the bottom of the boards listing, but with the new way the boards are listed, which certainly makes them easier to find and learn about, my bookmarks are way further down the page, and the header for them is not easy to notice when one is scrolling quickly down. 

The old Dashboard concept didn't work well for me, because it opened in a separate window.  This bookmarks at the bottom of the page listing is much better.  But -- and I did admit that I was a bit greedy! -- if there were a quick link to go directly down to my bookmarks, I would be an even happier camper (and the chance of a recurrence of my tendonitis would drop).

0 Kudos

Once again, you guys are way ahead of me!

Jon_B wrote:
When you are looking at a board, scroll down all the way to the very bottom.  Just below the last thread on the page, you will find a Legend telling you what those symbols mean.