Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP

Did You Know You Had a Dashboard?

[ Edited ]

Here's a handy feature you may not even know is available to you at Book Clubs – your Dashboard. Like on a car, the Dashboard displays a lot of information that can help you get around easier on Book Clubs.

Just click the Dashboard link near the top of any Book Clubs page to launch it. The Dashboard looks like this:

Dashboard

The Dashboard displays:

• Your current icon. Click on it to choose anther one.
  • Your current statistics, like number log-ins, total minutes online, and more.
  • Private Message alert. Click the envelope to launch the Private Messenger and read/reply to your messages.
  • Your Subscriptions and Bookmarks, including recent activity. Click on a Subscription or Bookmark to see what's new in those areas.
  • Quick links to Search, your Personal Profile, and other things.

As you can see, your Dashboard offers a lot of useful info all in one place. You can leave it open while you use Book Clubs, or even while surfing other websites. If you have any questions about how to use it, I'll do my best to answer them here.

Message Edited by BillP on 12-11-2006 09:26 AM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Keeping track of discussions.

[ Edited ]
I find far the easiest method of keeping track of the discussions in which I am participating is to tick the Email if someone replies to this and Message boxes after I have entered a post. This can also be made a permanent feature by going into your Profile, clicking Preferences and scrolling down to Automatic Subscription Options - tick Message.

This means that I get B&N emails in my home Inbox where I can click on View Message to see a reply and can then choose whether to answer it (after signing in).

This method does not alert you to new discussions/threads, which have to be searched for in the various book threads, but it at least keeps you on top of discussions you have already entered into. As I am in the UK it also means that when I switch my computer on in the morning (or the middle of an insomniac night!) I get quite a lot of interesting emails to reply to from my American friends:smileyhappy:

PS: I am creating a new thread for this post as it doesn't fit within 'Dashboard':smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Choisya on 12-07-200605:41 AM

Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

SEARCH

B&N has such an elaborate advanced search - please, isn't it possible to incorporate a date range search also? Personally, many times I read posts and then later think of something I want to say in response, but can't find the original post!! If I know I opened it last night, or yesterday, or the day before, I could find it by creating a date search. Please, please consider adding this to the "Search" mechanism!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Did You Know You Had a Dashboard?

The Dashboard is crippled if you can't get past the Authentication hurdle, which so far I haven't been able to do. So I can't bookmark, can't edit, can't use many of the features of the Club.

Never had this problem with the old BNU. Everything worked seamlessly there.
0 Kudos

Have you thought of changing your name from Everyman to Ishmael? :smileywink:

Everyman wrote:
The Dashboard is crippled if you can't get past the Authentication hurdle, which so far I haven't been able to do. So I can't bookmark, can't edit, can't use many of the features of the Club.

Never had this problem with the old BNU. Everything worked seamlessly there.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

? Dashboard/rating

Qustion: the average message rating that is displayed on the dashboard and on a couple of other places (if the function is on)...does that 'star# information' refer to how others rate your posts or how you rate all others' posts?

thanks
ziki
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Re: ? Dashboard/rating

ziki wrote:
Qustion: the average message rating that is displayed on the dashboard and on a couple of other places (if the function is on)...does that 'star# information' refer to how others rate your posts or how you rate all others' posts?

thanks
ziki

Ziki, the stars refer to how others rate your posts.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

?bookmarks

Thank you Bill...another question:

When I bookmark certain (single) posts will they disappear from my personal list once B&N decides to remove the discussion from the main board?

IOW is it my responsibility to copy the content while the book is active on the board or is such an information copied into some other 'memory' where 'my' bookmarks remain even after the book discussion itself is discontinued by B&N?

thanks for your patience
ziki
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Re: ?bookmarks

ziki wrote:
Thank you Bill...another question:

When I bookmark certain (single) posts will they disappear from my personal list once B&N decides to remove the discussion from the main board?

IOW is it my responsibility to copy the content while the book is active on the board or is such an information copied into some other 'memory' where 'my' bookmarks remain even after the book discussion itself is discontinued by B&N?

thanks for your patience
ziki

As long as the thread still exists on the site, it should remain on your Bookmarks list.
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I noticed it shortly before I came to this thread. My dashboard has no subscriptions or bookmarks, apparently I don't know how it works. Its current state gives me absolutely no meaningful information.

Edit: I did a bit more reading and found out about subscriptions and bookmarks. I wonder why "float to the top" has no relation with bookmarks. I still see little use to the Dashboard so I doubt if I will ever use it. Maybe there are other people who do find it useful.

Message Edited by caroline88 on 12-12-200601:04 PM

Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Just bumping this thread up after the Help & Important Information clean-up.

-BillP