New User
captj3r
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

E book purchases out of country

I work 56 days in Brazil. I purchased a color nook while I was home. I've just returned to work and found out last night that I can not purchase a book when out of the US. I was able to download a sample of a book. It seems that if I give the authorization to use my credit card when out of the US, then there shouldn't be a problem getting books over here. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? Thank you

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Re: E book purchases out of country

The contracts that authors make with publishers are usually for specific countries. The contracts that publishers make with booksellers are likewise for specific countries.

Nearly all of B&N's contracts with publishers restrict their sales to the US. A couple of publishers allow B&N to sell to Canada, but that's it. They're not contractually permitted to sell e-books internationally.

In addition, some countries have laws intended to protect local publishers and booksellers, to tax imported books, or to forbid import of certain kinds of books entirely. I don't know if that applies to Brazil or not.

You'll probably need to find a Brazilian bookseller that handles English-language e-books, and sideload the e-books you bought. You might also send a PM to geertm for some other useful information. [PM=Private Message; click the envelope in the header area, to the left of the search box — or just click here to send to geertm.]

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

captj3r wrote:

I work 56 days in Brazil. I purchased a color nook while I was home. I've just returned to work and found out last night that I can not purchase a book when out of the US. I was able to download a sample of a book. It seems that if I give the authorization to use my credit card when out of the US, then there shouldn't be a problem getting books over here. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? Thank you

If you have a family member in the States purchase ebooks on your account, you'll be able to download them in Brazil.  Obviously, it would have to be someone you would be comfortable giving access to your B&N account.

You could also google "US IP address," and get some additional information.

New User
captj3r
0 Kudos

Thank you for your response. After learning more information on this subject, I chose this route. Meanwhile, I am looking into the suggestions supplied by Doug.

New User
captj3r
0 Kudos

Thank you for your suggestions for different avenues to choose from. I will investigate further.

Contributor
pkathy98
0 Kudos

I stay in Mexico for extended periods.  I buy B&N gift cards when I am in the states and load them into my Nook.  I have no trouble getting books when they are charged to the gift card which was purchased in the US.  

Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

As I understand, you can buy BN books through smashwords. BN has not gone international yet.