Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Fall '08 Account Update

[ Edited ]

As reported over in the Announcements board, we're about to make some changes to the Book Clubs registration and sign-in process.

Beginning this fall, in early September, you'll need to sign in to your Barnes & Noble.com account (rather than your Book Clubs account) to participate in the discussions here.

If you have a Barnes & Noble.com account registered to the same email address as your Book Clubs account, you won't need to do a thing! You'll automatically be prompted to sign in to your Barnes & Noble.com account when you try to post a message or take other actions on the message boards.

But if you don't have a Barnes & Noble.com account -- or if your Barnes & Noble.com account uses a different email address -- you'll have to take one of the following steps or lose your Book Clubs User Name and account access.

If you don't have a Barnes & Noble.com account, please create one using the email address already registered to your Book Clubs account.

You can find your Book Clubs account email in the Personal Profile section of the Book Clubs site.

If you have a Barnes & Noble.com account with a different email address from your Book Clubs account, please change one of them so they match exactly.

You can update the email address on your Book Clubs account by following the "Change my E-mail Address" instructions on the Personal Profile page.

You can update the email address on your Barnes & Noble.com account by signing in to your account and following the instructions under "Change Your Name, Email, or Password."

Please do not put this off! Once the changes take place, we will not be able to match your accounts. It is important that you take a few minutes now to ensure that you'll have continued access to your Book Clubs User Name and account details.

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation during this change. 

We'll answer questions about the process here, and post updates on the Announcements Board as they become available.

Message Edited by Kevin on 08-18-2008 11:21 AM
Message Edited by Kevin on 08-24-2008 11:58 AM
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Re: September '08 Account Update

I have some concerns about this new sign in process, and would appreciate your giving me further information.  If I understand it correctly, I will have to sign into my B & N account before being able to log into the discussion boards.  Will my B & N account remain open while I am on a discussion board?  If so, my concern is that 1) my email account has my personal name in it, and I would not want this to appear when I am on a discussion board.  I prefer that the username I chose when signing up for the book clubs continue to be displayed.  2)  I am concerned that by leaving my B & N account open, if this is the procedure, that I will be exposing information such as credit card, mailing address etc. for an inappropriate length of time.  When I am making B & N purchases, I do my business as quickly as possible, then log out and clear my cache.  While this may not protect my information completely, I feel it is at least something I can do.  However, when I participate in a book club board, I spend a much longer time reviewing the posts. 

Please address these isssues, and advise what safeguards you are putting in place when you introduce the new process, to protect the identity and personal information of both B & N members, and book club participants.

Thanks.

Kevin wrote:

As reported over in the Announcements board, we're about to make some changes to the Book Clubs registration and sign-in process.

Beginning in early September, you'll need to sign in to your Barnes & Noble.com account (rather than your Book Clubs account) to participate in the discussions here.

If you have a Barnes & Noble.com account registered to the same email address as your Book Clubs account, you won't need to do a thing! You'll automatically be prompted to sign in to your Barnes & Noble.com account when you try to post a message or take other actions on the message boards.

But if you don't have a Barnes & Noble.com account -- or if your Barnes & Noble.com account uses a different email address -- you'll have to take one of the following steps or lose your Book Clubs User Name and account access.

If you don't have a Barnes & Noble.com account, please create one using the email address already registered to your Book Clubs account.

You can find your Book Clubs account email in the Personal Profile section of the Book Clubs site.

If you have a Barnes & Noble.com account with a different email address from your Book Clubs account, please change one of them so they match exactly.

You can update the email address on your Book Clubs account by following the "Change my E-mail Address" instructions on the Personal Profile page.

You can update the email address on your Barnes & Noble.com account by signing in to your account and following the instructions under "Change Your Name, Email, or Password."

Please do not put this off! Once the changes take place, we will not be able to match your accounts. It is important that you take a few minutes now to ensure that you'll have continued access to your Book Clubs User Name and account details.

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation during this change. 

We'll answer questions about the process here, and post updates on the Announcements Board as they become available.

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:

I have some concerns about this new sign in process, and would appreciate your giving me further information.  If I understand it correctly, I will have to sign into my B & N account before being able to log into the discussion boards.  Will my B & N account remain open while I am on a discussion board?  If so, my concern is that 1) my email account has my personal name in it, and I would not want this to appear when I am on a discussion board.  I prefer that the username I chose when signing up for the book clubs continue to be displayed.  2)  I am concerned that by leaving my B & N account open, if this is the procedure, that I will be exposing information such as credit card, mailing address etc. for an inappropriate length of time.  When I am making B & N purchases, I do my business as quickly as possible, then log out and clear my cache.  While this may not protect my information completely, I feel it is at least something I can do.  However, when I participate in a book club board, I spend a much longer time reviewing the posts. 

Please address these isssues, and advise what safeguards you are putting in place when you introduce the new process, to protect the identity and personal information of both B & N members, and book club participants.

Thanks.

Thanks for the message, Molly. These are good questions, and I'm sure you're not the only one with similar concerns.

First, I should reiterate that your User Name is not going to change. You will sign in to your Barnes & Noble.com account using your email address, but your User Name is what people are going to see on the site. Your email address will not be displayed on the boards or on your profile page.

Second, your credit card and private information will continue to be encrypted and protected as it always has. The security team here won't let us go into chapter and verse about our protocols (for obvious reasons). But what I can say now is that "account" activity like shopping and updating your private information will continue to have security over and above what we use for "community" activity like participating in the Book Clubs or submitting a customer review. Prolonged Book Clubs activity will not expose your private data to additional risk.

Thanks again for the question, Molly. We'll be able to talk about this in some more depth down the road, but I wanted to let you know that we're on top of it.

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Kevin wrote:

Thanks for the message, Molly. These are good questions, and I'm sure you're not the only one with similar concerns.

First, I should reiterate that your User Name is not going to change. You will sign in to your Barnes & Noble.com account using your email address, but your User Name is what people are going to see on the site. Your email address will not be displayed on the boards or on your profile page.

Second, your credit card and private information will continue to be encrypted and protected as it always has. The security team here won't let us go into chapter and verse about our protocols (for obvious reasons). But what I can say now is that "account" activity like shopping and updating your private information will continue to have security over and above what we use for "community" activity like participating in the Book Clubs or submitting a customer review. Prolonged Book Clubs activity will not expose your private data to additional risk.

Thanks again for the question, Molly. We'll be able to talk about this in some more depth down the road, but I wanted to let you know that we're on top of it.

Thanks for clarifying that Kevin as I have the same concerns.

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Not to nitpick, Kevin, but you really didn't answer Mollywobbles's second question.  She was concerned about having her B&N purchase account open for all the time she's on line.  You provided the standard soothing words about how dedicated B&N is to privacy, and I have no doubt you all are, but the companies who have identity information stolen were equally dedicated, but that didn't help the people whose personal information was stolen.  Why does BN feel it necessary to keep our BN accounts open for all the time we are on the site here, which for some of us is probably a lot of the day?

Another question is, if we are going through the B&N sales site, will the marketing department be monitoring posts for information about what we report of our reading patterns and such  to help target us for additional sales plugs?   I'm certainly happy with BN linking the books under discussion to the web site, you deserve the chance to sell those to us, but I would be less happy if I thought that every post I made here was being mined for marketing data.

There's been no explanation as to why BN is choosing to make this change.  I realize that it's your site, and you can do what you want to with it, and you have no obligation to justify yourselves to us, but still, I think the goodwill of the people participating here is valuable to BN, so it would be nice if you would explain to us why this is being done so we understood why, not just what, is happening.

Thanks.

Kevin wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

Thanks.

0 Kudos

I'm sorry to also mention that on the book sales site the last 3 times I went shopping there, afterwards I had to remove bots from my computer. Whether they belong to B&N is not the point, point is IT just DOES  NOT seem all that safe to me.
Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

Not to nitpick, Kevin, but you really didn't answer Mollywobbles's second question.  She was concerned about having her B&N purchase account open for all the time she's on line.  You provided the standard soothing words about how dedicated B&N is to privacy, and I have no doubt you all are, but the companies who have identity information stolen were equally dedicated, but that didn't help the people whose personal information was stolen.  Why does BN feel it necessary to keep our BN accounts open for all the time we are on the site here, which for some of us is probably a lot of the day?

There's no such thing as nitpicking on security, Everyman. We appreciate the question, and will answer as best we can, without jeopardizing the very thing we're trying to protect. 

Let's try it this way: Your "account" session is going to be goverened by a different set of rules than your "community" session. You'll be able to talk on the boards for hours -- days, even -- but your "account" session is going to time out on its own, just as it does now.  

As for the rest of your questions, this isn't about marketing. It's about strengthening the bond between the Book Clubs and the rest of the site, and allowing customers to manage more of their B&N activities from a single account.  You'll still have control over your "Communications Preferences"  (i.e. email) through your Barnes & Noble.com account. But the changes should make it easier for customers who haven't joined the Book Clubs before to do it now.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Thanks, Kevin. 

Two other questions.

One: once I have signed into the BN site and gotten on to the book clubs, can I sign out of the BN site without logging out of book clubs, or will that log me out of book clubs also?

Two:  Will we need a different access URL when the change happens?  That is, do we have to change our bookmark for accessing the clubs, or will the same URL (in my case, I use  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/) still do the job?

0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

Thanks, Kevin. 

Two other questions.

One: once I have signed into the BN site and gotten on to the book clubs, can I sign out of the BN site without logging out of book clubs, or will that log me out of book clubs also?

Two:  Will we need a different access URL when the change happens?  That is, do we have to change our bookmark for accessing the clubs, or will the same URL (in my case, I use  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/) still do the job?

I'd like to come back to these as we get closer, Everyman. There are a lot of moving parts, and we'll want to make sure all the details and suggestions are consistent.

Contributor
antwerpnative
0 Kudos

Re: Fall '08 Account Update

Hi Kevin,

I just received an e-mail from you informing me that you are unable to fin a B&N.com account that uses the same e-mail address as my Book Clubs account.

I don't understand this because I've never had a problem before.  I really don't know where the problem lies.  I can change my password to another one.

Please let me know what I need to do since I'm not too computer lit when it comes to these matters.

Thanks in advance

Betty Goldberg

Contributor
Donna-readerinWI
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

I too received and email stating that B&N was not able to find my accounts with matching email address's.  I have gone back and forth numerous times trying to figure out where I went wrong, and I'm just not finding it.

Help!

Frequent Contributor
adoring_fan
0 Kudos

Kevin, I am very confused.  I just signed into both accounts using the exact same email address.  They are already the same as near as I can tell.  Should I send you a private message to have things checked on your end?  Let me know.  Thanks.

Krystn

I am only as strong as the cocktails I drink, the hairspray I use, and the girlfriends I have....
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

hi kevin,

well i am posting this everywhere i can think of. i have also signed into both accounts with the same email address, checked the account details of both and still got your email. what do i do? i haven't seen an answer to the others with this same problem?

thanks, 

twj

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Donna-readerinWI wrote:

Hi Kevin,

I too received and email stating that B&N was not able to find my accounts with matching email address's.  I have gone back and forth numerous times trying to figure out where I went wrong, and I'm just not finding it.

Help!

Donna (and Krystn),

Thanks for writing so quickly. 

It's clear now that some people got today's email by mistake. We are trying to determine how many people got it by mistake, but can say this:

The error occurred because of capitalization differences on your accounts, i.e., you have capital letters on one system and not the other. While this triggered an erroneous email, it will not affect your ability to use the Book Clubs next week and beyond.

We're sorry for the confusion and the inconvenience this caused.

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

antwerpnative wrote:

Hi Kevin,

I just received an e-mail from you informing me that you are unable to fin a B&N.com account that uses the same e-mail address as my Book Clubs account.

I don't understand this because I've never had a problem before.  I really don't know where the problem lies.  I can change my password to another one.

Please let me know what I need to do since I'm not too computer lit when it comes to these matters.

Thanks in advance

Betty Goldberg

Betty,

I am responding to your question through the Private Messenger.

Contributor
NavyAirMom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just received an email that my emails for Barnes and Noble.com and the book clubs don't match and I must change something or as of Monday one will go away.  Help!!   I do have the same email address for both...can you please check it out?    I don't know what else to do.

Thanks!

Theresa

Edited admin for email privacy issues.

Message Edited by Kevin on 10-01-2008 05:13 PM
Contributor
vreader
0 Kudos

I tried to access my account to bring it in line with my new email address (which I use for bookclubs) but can't remember my password. I've requested that B&N send me the link to reset my password twice, but I still don't get the email from them concerning this. Help!!

Connie

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

vreader wrote:

I tried to access my account to bring it in line with my new email address (which I use for bookclubs) but can't remember my password. I've requested that B&N send me the link to reset my password twice, but I still don't get the email from them concerning this. Help!!

Connie

Connie,

The email from B&N.com would go to your old email address, of course. My first suggestion would be to check your spam filter on the old email address to see if the email is getting misfiled by mistake. If that doesn't work, your best bet would be to call customer service.

You always have the option of creating a new B&N.com account with your new email address. You wouldn't be able to see your shopping history from that new account, but it would allow you to keep your User Name.

Good luck!

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

Kevin,

I don't what you want me to change because I do have two account one BN Com and the book club.  And I have had this account for sometime.  I also have the same email and address for both of them and the password is the same.  Now when I try to sign up for an account it says that this email and user name is already being used.  So now what?  When I try to sign up for an account on the book club site  it wants another password with capital and lower etc.  I don't feel that I should have to change my password because of what you all are doing.  I sign in to both the same way and  now you are telling me that I don't have account for both.  I belong the first look book club and use the same email address as the BN.com. For as long as I can remember.

Thank you for your time an consideration in this matter.

gmfuhlman

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

gmfuhlman wrote:

Kevin,

I don't what you want me to change because I do have two account one BN Com and the book club.  And I have had this account for sometime.  I also have the same email and address for both of them and the password is the same.  Now when I try to sign up for an account it says that this email and user name is already being used.  So now what?  When I try to sign up for an account on the book club site  it wants another password with capital and lower etc.  I don't feel that I should have to change my password because of what you all are doing.  I sign in to both the same way and  now you are telling me that I don't have account for both.  I belong the first look book club and use the same email address as the BN.com. For as long as I can remember.

Thank you for your time an consideration in this matter.

gmfuhlman

gmfuhlman,

If the email address you have in the Book Clubs is the same one you use to shop at Barnes & Noble.com, then you'll be fine.

Some people got yesterday's "final notice" email by mistake. Sorry for the confusion.